Buffett Performs National Anthem at NFC Playoff

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

SunLover
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: The next show I capture
Number of Concerts: 0

Buffett Performs National Anthem at NFC Playoff

Post by SunLover »

Jimmy Buffett performed the National Anthem before the NFC playoff game with the L.A. Rams and the New Orleans Saints. The Rams defeated the Saints in overtime 26-23.

For anyone who missed it, I posted the video on youtube:

Jimmy Buffett performs National Anthem at Saints playoff game
Crazy Navy Flyer
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 100
Favorite Boat Drink: rum

Re: Buffett Performs National Anthem at NFC Playoff

Post by Crazy Navy Flyer »

I watched it, wasn't impressed, not sure what the mic drop was all about.
Back to livin' Floridays
Saltx3
Favorite Buffett Song: Boats to Build
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: MARGARITA, FIREBALL WHISKEY

Post by Saltx3 »

Thanks Dave!
SALT, SALT, SALT/Linda
RainTree
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Depends on the mood
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Bahama Mama

Post by RainTree »

I liked the performance - serious and respectful for our national anthem. [smilie=battingeyes.gif]
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

Jimmy doesn't have a wide range of vocal notes, and never has. But he sang the notes correctly (without the dramatic performance other artists seem to want to do), and I was fine with it. The mic drop? Eh. Silly, and not sure what it added to the performance.
Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Bubba, the mic drop was about as necessary as nothing.
But at least it wasn't as annoying or possibly as disruptive to the game as the N.O. "whistle-man".
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

Ehhhhh my saints were robbed. What a terrible way to lose. If the rams end up pulling it off ( they won’t) it has it be a bit jaded by that win. As for the national anthem, jimmy sang it like 72 year old jimmy would sing it. I thought it was fine. He never had a wide range of vocals. Jimmy is legendary because well he sings and plays like jimmy along with great songwriting. I am surprised he took this gig only because he restrains himself these days from the “higher” notes at his concerts and passes them to Caroline jones or the Tina and nadirah.

All said, most of the general public expected him to probably sound like Justin Timberlake but don’t fully get what jimmys sound is all about
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

Seems out front in the public scene Jimmy no doubt finds the humorous side of most things. Good for him!!
But not that it really matters in the grand scheme of life, but IMO the mic drop was a poor attempt at humor. [smilie=noeyedear-shrugging.gif]
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

FinsUp6835 wrote: January 21, 2019 8:32 am Ehhhhh my saints were robbed. What a terrible way to lose. If the rams end up pulling it off ( they won’t) it has it be a bit jaded by that win. As for the national anthem, jimmy sang it like 72 year old jimmy would sing it. I thought it was fine. He never had a wide range of vocals. Jimmy is legendary because well he sings and plays like jimmy along with great songwriting. I am surprised he took this gig only because he restrains himself these days from the “higher” notes at his concerts and passes them to Caroline jones or the Tina and nadirah.

All said, most of the general public expected him to probably sound like Justin Timberlake but don’t fully get what jimmys sound is all about
The Home of the Free part was a bit rough. But , it is a tough song to sing. He sang it with respect.
SeattleParrotHead
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Post by SeattleParrotHead »

James Corden says the Jimmy didn't do a mic drop..... the mic jumped from Jimmy's hand, trying to escape.
I think his rendition was OK, at least he treated the song respectfully and didn't make FREE and BRAVE into multisyllable words.

O'er the land of the free-e-e-e-e-e and the home of the bra-a-a-a-ave! :-?
ImageImage

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but sometimes they have really good ideas…..
SPH
SunLover
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: The next show I capture

Post by SunLover »

FinsUp6835 wrote: January 21, 2019 8:32 am I am surprised he took this gig only because he restrains himself these days from the “higher” notes at his concerts and passes them to Caroline jones or the Tina and nadirah.
This is the part that a lot of people don't seem to understand when singing the anthem. Yes, as singers get older, they tend to lose some vocal range, particularly the higher notes. I've been streaming the Billy Joel channel on SXM and he has mentioned about having to do some songs differently now since they have some higher notes that he has trouble reaching now. "Uptown Girl" is a good example.

One of the best performances of the anthem that I recall was from 1991 when Whitney Houston did it in Tampa. Her vocal range at that time supported the demands of the anthem and she pulled it off flawlessly. It didn't hurt that she had a full orchestra as well.

For a solo version of the anthem with no musicians, no ear monitor, and his vocal range, I think Jimmy did fine with it. I figure the mic drop was his way of saying "he nailed it" without any mistakes.
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

Was surprised to see just him out there, I'd been hoping it would include Mac and Robert/the pans.

I liked it. Ballsy move to do it a capella. Man's gotta know his limits and he delivered within his.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

palmettopirate
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Carolina
Favorite Boat Drink: sweet tea

Post by palmettopirate »

SMLCHNG wrote: January 20, 2019 10:38 pm Jimmy doesn't have a wide range of vocal notes, and never has. But he sang the notes correctly (without the dramatic performance other artists seem to want to do), and I was fine with it. The mic drop? Eh. Silly, and not sure what it added to the performance.

Yep. Jimmy has never boasted about his vocal or instrumental skills. He just says he knows how to work a crowd.
Every day you wake up you get another chance to do it right.
dnw
Last Man Standing

Post by dnw »

palmettopirate wrote: January 22, 2019 6:20 am
SMLCHNG wrote: January 20, 2019 10:38 pm Jimmy doesn't have a wide range of vocal notes, and never has. But he sang the notes correctly (without the dramatic performance other artists seem to want to do), and I was fine with it. The mic drop? Eh. Silly, and not sure what it added to the performance.

Yep. Jimmy has never boasted about his vocal or instrumental skills. He just says he knows how to work a crowd.

And he does that very well. :D

Debbie
palmettopirate

Post by palmettopirate »

FinsUp6835 wrote: January 21, 2019 8:32 am Ehhhhh my saints were robbed. What a terrible way to lose. If the rams end up pulling it off ( they won’t) it has it be a bit jaded by that win. As for the national anthem, jimmy sang it like 72 year old jimmy would sing it. I thought it was fine. He never had a wide range of vocals. Jimmy is legendary because well he sings and plays like jimmy along with great songwriting. I am surprised he took this gig only because he restrains himself these days from the “higher” notes at his concerts and passes them to Caroline jones or the Tina and nadirah.

Robbed? Amen! But that's a bit of an understatement. I'm not sure I've ever seen such a blatant non-call. And of course the implications magnify it.
palmettopirate

Post by palmettopirate »

Crazy Navy Flyer wrote: January 20, 2019 9:09 pm I watched it, wasn't impressed, not sure what the mic drop was all about.
Maybe the mic drop was a sign of relief kinda like, "Whew, I got through it without screwing up."

Plenty of people have messed up the lyrics big time. I forget his name now but there was an opera singer who used to perform the anthem from time to time and he always used sheet music. But he could get through an entire opera with no problem. I guess it's just intimidating.
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

palmettopirate wrote: January 22, 2019 8:51 am
Crazy Navy Flyer wrote: January 20, 2019 9:09 pm I watched it, wasn't impressed, not sure what the mic drop was all about.
Maybe the mic drop was a sign of relief kinda like, "Whew, I got through it without screwing up."

Plenty of people have messed up the lyrics big time. I forget his name now but there was an opera singer who used to perform the anthem from time to time and he always used sheet music. But he could get through an entire opera with no problem. I guess it's just intimidating.
That's how it seemed to me, too.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

dnw wrote: January 22, 2019 6:22 am
palmettopirate wrote: January 22, 2019 6:20 am

No one ever said he was Sinatra , but he does know how to work the crowd. He was a bit off key when it came to Home of the Free. But , he didn't forget the word and I enjoyed seeing him on the big stage. I'm still wondering about the mic drop. I don't know if it was directed to the crowd and the saints meaning , I did my job , it's your turn. I hope it wasn't met as I nailed it. Because isn't that the goal when singing it. Granted he didn't have his teleprompter.

And he does that very well. :D
jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm

Post by jbfins »

My wife looked at me and said, "Did Jimmy just drop the mic?" I had to rewind and watch. Luckily, I only had to go back a few seconds and was able to avoid hearing any of the signing. Then I saw it and looked at her and said, "This performance goes into that special box where "Fool Button", "Big Rig" and "Cheeseburger" are placed."
"Some people never find it..."
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

jbfins wrote: January 24, 2019 4:51 pm My wife looked at me and said, "Did Jimmy just drop the mic?" I had to rewind and watch. Luckily, I only had to go back a few seconds and was able to avoid hearing any of the signing. Then I saw it and looked at her and said, "This performance goes into that special box where "Fool Button", "Big Rig" and "Cheeseburger" are placed."
I might be the minority here but I like Fool Button.

Especially considering I have hit the fool button a couple times in my own life.
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.