2nd Video from "Songs you don't know..."

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

C4Parrothead
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Someday I will / Little Miss Magic / One Particular / Delaney / Pirate
Number of Concerts: 33
Favorite Boat Drink: Tito’s

2nd Video from "Songs you don't know..."

Post by C4Parrothead »

Second Song dropped a few min ago on JB's social...

Something Feminine About a Mandolin

Like the majority of the old/good stuff - I Love this song! Funny moment with Jimmy & Jane on the video too.
Someday I will.

Next Tour Stop:
-Nashville 4.27.19 - SOASOAS 19 (32)
-Dublin, Ireland 9.21.19 - SOASOAS 19 (33)
-Raleigh 4.18.20 - Slack Tide (34)
-Charlotte 4.25.20 - Slack Tide (35)
-Red Rocks 9.10.20 - Slack Tide (36)

Dr.Corona
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Re: 2nd Video from "Songs you don't know..."

Post by Dr.Corona »

Verrrry reality TV there. Senior moments to the Nth degree :lol:
Not to overstate it, but I appreciate the Buffett family allowing us to take a peek at such off the cuff stuff.
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image

C4Parrothead
Favorite Buffett Song: Someday I will / Little Miss Magic / One Particular / Delaney / Pirate

Post by C4Parrothead »

Dr.Corona wrote:
July 30, 2020 2:38 pm
Not to overstate it, but I appreciate the Buffett family allowing us to take a peek at such off the cuff stuff.
Couldn't agree more. Such access, in the small doses, is gold. Appreciate the Buffett's for letting us get a peak behind the curtain.
Someday I will.

Next Tour Stop:

C4Parrothead

Post by C4Parrothead »

Dr.Corona wrote:
July 30, 2020 2:38 pm
Couldn't agree more. Such access, in the small doses, is gold. Appreciate the Buffett's for letting us get a peak behind the curtain.
Someday I will.

Next Tour Stop:

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

Love, love, love. I am a happy parrothead. :wench:
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

urlcenter
Hoot!

Post by urlcenter »

PeretHed66
Havana Daydreamin'
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Pacifico

Post by PeretHed66 »

I'll say it...

These are nice and all, but I'm a bit underwhelmed. Maybe when they're all out and we can compile just the songs into one more or less seamless "performance" they'll work better for me.

And drawing it out over 15 weeks seems a bit much.

Yeah, I know, this is an unpopular opinion.
More Doyle!

SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by SMLCHNG »

PeretHed66 wrote:
July 31, 2020 8:39 pm
These are nice and all, but I'm a bit underwhelmed. Maybe when they're all out and we can compile just the songs into one more or less seamless "performance" they'll work better for me.
It's okay to have the opinion you have. :) But who knows when "they're all out". Most of us are just enjoying what we get. :)

baybound
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Havana Daydreamin'
Number of Concerts: 7

Post by baybound »

I love these vids from him and his daughter. They are just natural and unproduced. And for all us guitar players out there, its good to see Jimmy muff a chord now and then, or do a "do-over" and start the song again.

SharkysMV1
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Tonics

Post by SharkysMV1 »

baybound wrote:
August 1, 2020 8:46 am
I love these vids from him and his daughter. They are just natural and unproduced. And for all us guitar players out there, its good to see Jimmy muff a chord now and then, or do a "do-over" and start the song again.
Agree completely. We get to see more sides of Jimmy’s personality (Instead of just his stage personality) and get to learn more about the rare songs and how they came to be. I’d much rather hear them than the 8-10 standard songs any day.

On more than one occasion Jimmy has said that maybe he will spend his golden years playing acoustic in clubs and bars. As someone mentioned on here, this feels like a step in that direction (for now).
“Later down the road of life, I made the discovery that salt water was also good for the mental abrasions one inevitably acquires on land.” - JB, APLAFifty

Congobill
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Last Mango in Paris
Number of Concerts: 60
Favorite Boat Drink: Craft Beer

Post by Congobill »

PeretHed66 wrote:
July 31, 2020 8:39 pm
I'll say it...

And drawing it out over 15 weeks seems a bit much.

Yeah, I know, this is an unpopular opinion.

I hear ya on that but I still think this is a pretty great thing for Jimmy to be doing. As somebody who has mostly stopped going to Buffett shows over the past decade because I'm tired of seeing the same set list year after year, this project is exactly what I want to see Jimmy doing at this point in his career. Yes, there's a big part of me that wishes these performances were more polished and also performed with the Reefers to get the full sound, but I definitely appreciate these casual takes and getting a more personal look into Jimmy at home as he re-acquaints himself with some of his older tunes. This is a side of Jimmy we rarely ever see, so I will take it and hope that maybe this will inspire Jimmy to do more smaller venue "deep cuts" types of shows or at least start weaving more deep cuts into his set lists if we ever have live big venue shows again. I guess the ultimate would be if he takes the songs he performs for this project and does a full show of them with the Reefers at some point. I still wince when I think back to a few years ago when Jimmy did that special one-off show where the fans voted online for the setlist and it was basically the same set list we always see. Unfortunately, it seems that too many Buffett fans have little interest in seeing anything other than the hits. So THANK YOU to Jimmy for doing this.

jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by jbfins »

I absolutely love what he is doing. BUT...

If there is one negative take away, I think that it is we are learning there are very few Parrotheads out there. Which is something I have always sensed.
The "Mandolin Song" has 3,021 likes on Facebook. Jimmy has only 295,000 followers on Instagram. According to Wikipedia, Life on The Flip Side sold 75,000 units. In this day and age, those are numbers that are comparative to a popular girl at a big high school. Heck, how many people/users are there here on BN?

He is playing to a very, very small crowd. One that I wish with all my heart was bigger because I think his music is wonderful.

Which makes what he is doing all the more special to me. I will complain about the set lists being the same, I will complain about Party-heads, I will complain about the corporate sellout aspects of the disgustingly cheap Margaritaville brand.

But this little effort he and his daughter are putting out. This is the best thing he has ever done.
"Some people never find it..."

urlcenter
Hoot!

Post by urlcenter »

jbfins wrote:
August 4, 2020 9:50 am
I absolutely love what he is doing. BUT...

If there is one negative take away, I think that it is we are learning there are very few Parrotheads out there. Which is something I have always sensed.
The "Mandolin Song" has 3,021 likes on Facebook. Jimmy has only 295,000 followers on Instagram. According to Wikipedia, Life on The Flip Side sold 75,000 units. In this day and age, those are numbers that are comparative to a popular girl at a big high school. Heck, how many people/users are there here on BN?

He is playing to a very, very small crowd. One that I wish with all my heart was bigger because I think his music is wonderful.

Which makes what he is doing all the more special to me. I will complain about the set lists being the same, I will complain about Party-heads, I will complain about the corporate sellout aspects of the disgustingly cheap Margaritaville brand.

But this little effort he and his daughter are putting out. This is the best thing he has ever done.
His concert tours sell close to 300,000 tickets annually

jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm

Post by jbfins »

When I used to go to shows, I brought 4 - 6 people with me. None of them were Parrotheads, they went for the party. And his shows do not sell out any more. But even if you take half of the people who attend shows as real die-hard fans, you only get 150,000 "parrotheads." Which I think is still way too high. But if someone could tell us how many people are registered with BN, I think that would give us a real sense of how many people he is playing to and how many are enjoying what he is putting out with SYDKBH.
"Some people never find it..."

RIPH
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: Havana Daydreamin
Favorite Boat Drink: rhum

Post by RIPH »

This is a way for Jimmy and Delaney to connect. Listen to her questions. They are doing it for them as much as for us.

How awesome is it that we can hear a normal phone call between Jimmy, Jane, and Delaney talking about writing a song 50 years ago? Then the call ends saying they will be home for dinner after they finish with the video.

No watching Jimmy wisked into the SUV and racing away. Just a typical family phone call.

We absolutely love them, and we hope they choose our song request, Stranded on a Sandbar.
...Gypsy rain, dang hurricanes, white silver sandy shore...

moog
Last Man Standing

Post by moog »

jbfins wrote:
August 6, 2020 9:36 am
When I used to go to shows, I brought 4 - 6 people with me. None of them were Parrotheads, they went for the party. And his shows do not sell out any more. But even if you take half of the people who attend shows as real die-hard fans, you only get 150,000 "parrotheads." Which I think is still way too high. But if someone could tell us how many people are registered with BN, I think that would give us a real sense of how many people he is playing to and how many are enjoying what he is putting out with SYDKBH.
26249. Not all are active anymore. Just hit the members link on bottom.