Finz on my car

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

ackparrothead
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Number of Concerts: 0

Finz on my car

Post by ackparrothead »

I was thinking about throwing up a fin on the car this year for the show...anyone have any material suggestions for construction and mounting techniques that don't involve welding it onto the roof. Thanks for any suggestions.
Blue toilet water...it's like a splash of the Caribbean right at home!
ngaparrothead
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 14

Re: Finz on my car

Post by ngaparrothead »

ackparrothead wrote:I was thinking about throwing up a fin on the car this year for the show...anyone have any material suggestions for construction and mounting techniques that don't involve welding it onto the roof. Thanks for any suggestions.
Sounds pretty painful! :lol:

Anyway, a friend of mine used the frame of his old rooftop bicycle rack as a base and nailed together wood scraps into the basic shape of a fin. Then he covered that with a paper machie (sp?) kind of stuff (I guess) and then painted it grey. Looked great until he forgot about clearance issues at a drive thru. :cry:
AlbatrossFlyer
Schoolboy heart & a license to fly

Post by AlbatrossFlyer »

i'll throw these up again for the hell of it....

I'd feel bad for you, but I have no soul.....

If you can't do it with brains, you won't do it with hours - Kelly Johnson
BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

A few years ago while driving to a Buffett Show at Great Woods a car in front of me had a fin on its roof which went flying off and flew threw the air like a Frisbee. Fortunately it didn't hit any cars but it did land in the middle of the Mass Pike. What made matters worse was instead of pulling over into the break down lane the drive locked his breaks and stopped in the right lane about 1/4 mile up and got out of his car running up to retrieve the fin. I kept going so I don't know what the end result was. Lesson here be careful!
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”
ngaparrothead
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 14

Post by ngaparrothead »

:o Great stuff, AF! Thanks! :D
PfinPhan
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by PfinPhan »

We're taking a Limo this year (so we don't have to drive) any Ideas how to attach a Fin to a Limo???? I don't think the driver will just let us use sheet metal screws
BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum »

I'm sorry but I have to ask a question I have always wondered, Why take a limo to a buffett show? And a follow up question, does the drive hang out and tailgate with you?
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”
PfinPhan
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by PfinPhan »

Good question...We've never done the Limo thing for Bubba before. We got 10 of us going about 60 miles to the show. We figured this way we can all be together and no one has to worry about driving home. I'm hoping the driver will be cool with us hanging out and tailgating.
Come To The Moon
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: Come to the Moon
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: Lava Flow

Post by Come To The Moon »

Howdy!! I had a few friends last year that rented a bus. They decked out the sides with car paint and put a Tiki Bar on the back. It was pretty cool.

The Limo sounds fun as well but you may end up in pretty snobbish (for lack of a better word) part of the lot because venues often put all the Limos together. Hopefully there will be more fun people in Limos but they may also be people that aren't so much fun.

Good luck attaching your phin and have a great time!!
"Half a million miles isn't far to go"
mrmiata
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Death of an Unpopular Poet
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Laphroaig, 18 year, neat

Post by mrmiata »

We fixed that question by using our vinyl plotter and doing this:

Fins Up!!!!

I *love* having a plotter. :D
Tiki Bar
Thank God the Tiki Torch Still Shines
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour / Tin Cup Chalice medley!
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Friends don't let friends drink tequila! Beer me!

Post by Tiki Bar »

Thanks to AF's engineering, I'm going to suggest we add a fin to the luggage rack of the bus we take this year. We always duck tape banners and flags, etc, so I think it's about time we add a fin!
You’re still grinning, we’re still winning, nothing left to say
I’m still gliding as I go flying down this endless wave
Gulfstreamer
Nibblin' on sponge cake

fins up

Post by Gulfstreamer »

Last year we made an 8ft tall Fin for the RV. We used 2 big foam boards, bought at Lowe's. We bought two sheets (around $10) then cut out 2 fins and duct taped them together, leaving an opening at the bottom. Then we rammed a pipe up the fin to make it poof out. With a couple coats of paint we were up and running. Caution: can't drive w/ it b/c it will snap. We used it while tailgating.

fins to the right.