Florida Benefit Show Request

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

par8hed
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Number of Concerts: 0

Florida Benefit Show Request

Post by par8hed »

Dear Jimmy:

On behalf of all residents of the hurricane state, I am officially requesting that you set a date for the relief benefit that I'm sure you are thinking about. I know it will be tough now that you are a main stream, hit record producing, bona fide, brand new country star. I'm sure you will be busy collecting all those award statues that your overnight success is bringing you, but we are really hoping you can find time to come down to your home state and cheer us up. By the time you read this, the whole damn state will probably be beat to s%#t so make plans now. We need you more than John Kerry. If my house is still standing, you can stay here. Bring Tina & Heather. I have beer, a stock pile of ice and a battery powered blender. I'll anxiously await your response.

Thank you,
The pile of rubble formerly known as Florida

p.s. Don't forget about bringing Tina & Heather.

jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Re: Florida Benefit Show Request

Post by jbfinscj »

If Jimmy is unavailable, I will play a benefit concert for the state of Florida. Unfortunatly I cannot sing or play an instrument, but I am definitley there.
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays

finsup
I have found me a home

Post by finsup »

lets not forget jimmy's house is in the way of frances in palm beach
Tryin to Reason With Hurricane Season!
Charley, Phrances, IVAN IS COMING!

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

par8hed wrote:Dear Jimmy:

On behalf of all residents of the hurricane state, I am officially requesting that you set a date for the relief benefit that I'm sure you are thinking about. I know it will be tough now that you are a main stream, hit record producing, bona fide, brand new country star. I'm sure you will be busy collecting all those award statues that your overnight success is bringing you, but we are really hoping you can find time to come down to your home state and cheer us up. By the time you read this, the whole damn state will probably be beat to s%#t so make plans now. We need you more than John Kerry. If my house is still standing, you can stay here. Bring Tina & Heather. I have beer, a stock pile of ice and a battery powered blender. I'll anxiously await your response.

Thank you,

This is really just an insidious plan to meet Tina and Heather, isn't it...

Prthd119
Diamond as Big as The Ritz

Post by Prthd119 »

RinglingRingling wrote:

Thank you,

You're quick R2.... :wink:

"I know it's a shabby old building but after all ain't we God's children
And Lord it's a good place for hangin' out .."

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing

Prthd119 wrote:
RinglingRingling wrote:

Thank you,

You're quick R2.... :wink:
Envious too.. wish I would have thought of it.

Captain Joe
I have found me a home

Post by Captain Joe »

I really thought that after Charley he would have done something. Like you said "We need you more than John Kerry".
The Seas in my veins

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing

Captain Joe wrote:I really thought that after Charley he would have done something. Like you said "We need you more than John Kerry".
He has mentioned that he will be down after this leg. and it does take a little time to put something special together. :)

Captain Joe
I have found me a home

Post by Captain Joe »

This storm is so big and is effecting so many people. I've got pouring rain and high winds at my house. My sister is all the way at the other end of the state in Port Charlotte and just lost power and phones again. I just got back from helping her fix her house back up. Anyway, my point is there are so many parrotheads all over the state who need could really use a good time.
The Seas in my veins

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing

Captain Joe wrote:This storm is so big and is effecting so many people. I've got pouring rain and high winds at my house. My sister is all the way at the other end of the state in Port Charlotte and just lost power and phones again. I just got back from helping her fix her house back up. Anyway, my point is there are so many parrotheads all over the state who need could really use a good time.
so you would have him drop everything and just rush right down there to be in the storm RIGHT NOW?

remember, he took a hit too when Frances came ashore, his house is not all that far from the landfall point.

par8hed
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by par8hed »

Who said RIGHT NOW? Anytime this year would be fine with me. Hell, he skipped Orlando this tour and it's right in the middle of the state. Regarding the hit that he may have taken.....obviously I hope any damage he suffered is minimal. But let's face it. The man can afford to make whatever repairs he needs to make AND STILL HAVE A BUCK OR TWO LEFT OVER, don't you think? The whole idea is that a benefit for his home state would be a really nice gesture and is something that Jimmy has done in the past. I won't be surprised if he takes me up on my offer.

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing

par8hed wrote:Who said RIGHT NOW? Anytime this year would be fine with me. Hell, he skipped Orlando this tour and it's right in the middle of the state. Regarding the hit that he may have taken.....obviously I hope any damage he suffered is minimal. But let's face it. The man can afford to make whatever repairs he needs to make AND STILL HAVE A BUCK OR TWO LEFT OVER, don't you think? The whole idea is that a benefit for his home state would be a really nice gesture and is something that Jimmy has done in the past. I won't be surprised if he takes me up on my offer.
a) maybe I am missing something here, but he has stated repeatedly he is concerned, probably on a lot of levels, for what is going on down in FL.

b) there are already rumours that he will be doing something other than writing a check to contractors to repair his own house; although nothing is set yet (probably because there are more (than) squalls out on the Gulf Stream; and getting the logistics of a benefit show together takes more than 10 minutes and a bottle of tequila with three straws nowadays).

c) Yes, he did skip Orlando this year. And he skipped Minneapolis and Columbus last year; and St. Louis several years. And he played Tampa which is not all that far from O'ville.

d) Yes, it is a little harder to get worked up over home-repairs to homes that are worth more than the average person will make in a lifetime than it is to get worked up over friends and acquaintances losing their homes or trailers (or having damage that the deductible for hurricane insurance covers, but does not exceed).

If you look at what Jimmy and Air M'ville were doing last fall in the Outer Banks, in the aftermath of that hurricane, do you think he really needs to be reminded that help from someone with even deeper ties to FL than to NC, would be greatly and gratefully appreciated? Give the man credit for having a brain.

land_shark3
Here We Are

Post by land_shark3 »

par8hed wrote:come down to your home state
Remind me again, what part of Florida is Mobile in? And isn't the Gulf portion of Alabama taking a sizable hit right now as well?

Just something to think about before asking for a relief show in his home state. :roll:
It's your world, I'm just living in it! :pirate:

par8hed
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by par8hed »

No I don't think he needs to be reminded and don't take it so seriously. If you read the way I started this topic......its just an effort to put a little levity into an obviously depressing situation.

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing

par8hed wrote:No I don't think he needs to be reminded and don't take it so seriously. If you read the way I started this topic......its just an effort to put a little levity into an obviously depressing situation.
actually, yours wasn't the one I was taking so seriously at first. It only got serious later on.

Chum with Rum

Post by Chum with Rum »

Sounds like a great idea, hope JB responds.

But if you think JB has been experiencing overnight success recently, where have you been the last 30+ years? :-? [/quote]
M'ville - It's a state of mind & a way of life.

par8hed
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by par8hed »

I've gone to about 65 shows over tha past 30 years. The "overnight success" comment was tongue in cheek.

par8hed
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by par8hed »

Dear Jimmy
Please ammend my earlier request. Now that Ivan is on the way.....I recommend a full week of Florida gigs. You can still stay at my house and bring Tina and Heather. Nadira, Jules and Amy are also welcome. Everybody else can stay with Utley.
Thanks Jimmy.

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing

par8hed wrote:Dear Jimmy
Please ammend my earlier request. Now that Ivan is on the way.....I recommend a full week of Florida gigs. You can still stay at my house and bring Tina and Heather. Nadira, Jules and Amy are also welcome. Everybody else can stay with Utley.
Thanks Jimmy.
oh now there is a pajama party you want to attend... No, not the one with the girls.. everyone crashing at Utley's...

Prthd119
Diamond as Big as The Ritz

Post by Prthd119 »

par8hed wrote:Dear Jimmy
Thanks Jimmy.
Hey, I'm in Florida..on a barrier island..and I will make the sacrifice and let the guys stay here....Rough..But somebody's gotta do it...

8)

"I know it's a shabby old building but after all ain't we God's children
And Lord it's a good place for hangin' out .."