Ultimate Buffett Venue

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Tryin2Reason
Number of Concerts: 0

Ultimate Buffett Venue

Post by Tryin2Reason »

I was at the show at the Shell on April 19. It was my 31st Buffett show. Without doubt the Shell is THE Ultimate Buffett venue. Think of it: !) The Shell has volcanoes on two sides (Diamond Head is directly to the left), 2) there are real palm trees on either side of the the Shell (no need for artificial ones), 3) it sits less than 1/2 mile from Waikiki - a real beach so nobody has to haul in sand for a beach like they do in Raleigh), 4) there are real sharks just offshore, 5) the venue is on an island, 6) Honolulu is the only regular Buffett venue that is entirely in the tropics.

The only thing bad about the show there is that Hawaiian Parrotheads are just not into the heavy tailgaiting that goes on at places like Great Woods or Nissan Pavillion before a show. The other shocker was that very few people were appropriately dressed for the show like they are at mainland venues For instance, I saw nobody dressed like a shark, nobody dressed like a volcano (someone does that every year at Nissan), and only a few people in grass skirts. Maybe what needs to happen is some mainland Parrotheads need to be regulars at the Shell to teach the Pacific Islanders how to throw a real Buffett party.

This certainly isn't knocking the Parrotheads at the Shell. Just wish, since they are in the perfect spot, the atmosphere would be more like a mainland show.

Near the end of his spectacular performance, Jimmy mentioned how he likes to come to Hawai'i at the end of the first part of his tour. He added that "We'll be here every year." I thought to myself, as the beer flowed, and the palm trees swayed overhead and a real volcano loomed off to the east, that damn it, so will I.

Fins left
ToplessRideFL
Changing Channels

Post by ToplessRideFL »

This got me thinking... I have seen him play in stadiums, in the middle of a cow pasture, on the beach, at the amphitheatre, in an arena with ice under the makeshift floor, in domes.....

The ultimate Buffett venue is where I happen to be when I see him play!

Although seeing him in Ocho Rios, Jamaica ranked a little higher than Florida Field in a swamp.... :wink:
MOST VALUABLE PLAYER OF BN FEUD VII
phansheridan
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Hurricane

Post by phansheridan »

I agree that anywhere he plays is the best venue at that time, i agree with all that stuff about hawaii i have been there but not for a buffett concert unfortunatly, i would also say seeing him at margaritaville key west for the infamous session after he finished LTC and was alittle over served at the bar was up there
Both shows at Greatwoods in June
Seattle and Vegas in October

Girlfriend doesn't realize that shes going to be a parrothead by the end of this summer whether she likes it or not.
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Re: Ultimate Buffett Venue

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

Tryin2Reason wrote:The only thing bad about the show there is that Hawaiian Parrotheads are just not into the heavy tailgaiting that goes on at places like Great Woods or Nissan Pavillion before a show. The other shocker was that very few people were appropriately dressed for the show like they are at mainland venues For instance, I saw nobody dressed like a shark, nobody dressed like a volcano (someone does that every year at Nissan), and only a few people in grass skirts. Maybe what needs to happen is some mainland Parrotheads need to be regulars at the Shell to teach the Pacific Islanders how to throw a real Buffett party.

This certainly isn't knocking the Parrotheads at the Shell. Just wish, since they are in the perfect spot, the atmosphere would be more like a mainland show.
Honolulu isn't a mainland venue. The show is different. The party is different. If you want it like the mainland, then you should probably stay on the mainland. The Parrotheads in Hawaii don't need mainlanders to "teach" them how to act at THEIR venue. Talk about arrogant...... :-? :-? :-?
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
cowboyjunkie
Half-baked cookies in the oven

Post by cowboyjunkie »

Tryin2Reason wrote:I was at the show at the Shell on April 19. It was my 31st Buffett show. Without doubt the Shell is THE Ultimate Buffett venue. Think of it: !) The Shell has volcanoes on two sides (Diamond Head is directly to the left), 2) there are real palm trees on either side of the the Shell (no need for artificial ones), 3) it sits less than 1/2 mile from Waikiki - a real beach so nobody has to haul in sand for a beach like they do in Raleigh), 4) there are real sharks just offshore, 5) the venue is on an island, 6) Honolulu is the only regular Buffett venue that is entirely in the tropics.

The only thing bad about the show there is that Hawaiian Parrotheads are just not into the heavy tailgaiting that goes on at places like Great Woods or Nissan Pavillion before a show. The other shocker was that very few people were appropriately dressed for the show like they are at mainland venues For instance, I saw nobody dressed like a shark, nobody dressed like a volcano (someone does that every year at Nissan), and only a few people in grass skirts. Maybe what needs to happen is some mainland Parrotheads need to be regulars at the Shell to teach the Pacific Islanders how to throw a real Buffett party.

Near the end of his spectacular performance, Jimmy mentioned how he likes to come to Hawai'i at the end of the first part of his tour. He added that "We'll be here every year." I thought to myself, as the beer flowed, and the palm trees swayed overhead and a real volcano loomed off to the east, that damn it, so will I.

Fins left
It was a perfect night. The venue was incredibly small so that added to the experience. The natural beauty was also wonderful. I thought Honolulu was pretty dirty compared to where I live on Hawaii. It reminded me of Miami which is never good!

As my friend asked when I told him it was announced, what do you wear to a JB show in Hawaii. I've always been a fan of the grass skirt, water wings, and other weird items for shows. I almost went Scotch Parrot with a Hawaiian Kilt theme for this one. However, it didn't feel right now that I live in the kind of place that Jimmy's music always makes us wish we lived. I don't know if that makes sense but that's one explanation for why at least one diehard fan wasn't in complete uniform.
spucketts
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Like I could pick just one
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Frozen Margarita w salt, salt, salt

Post by spucketts »

If yer look'n fer volunteers, sign me up. It'll just be a logistics nightmare to get all this parking lot party stuff from here..................to there.
CheeseHead in Paradise!
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 22

Post by CheeseHead in Paradise! »

One reason for the lack of mania in Hawaii might be because they already live in a tropical paradise.

Jimmy said he enjoys bringing the tropics to his fans who otherwise freeze most of the year. When Buffett plays the midwest, for example, it's our chance to go crazy and pretend for a few hours we're in a distant tropical island somehere .... like, Hawaii maybe?

That's jusy my theory.

By the way, it 33 degrees this morning :cry:
headparrot
We are the People our Parents Warned us

Post by headparrot »

Watching Jimmy play to the MOTM crowd at the Casa Marina last year in Key West was about as perfect as you could get.
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

Tryin2Reason wrote:The only thing bad about the show there is that Hawaiian Parrotheads are just not into the heavy tailgaiting that goes on at places like Great Woods or Nissan Pavillion before a show.
Why is that a bad thing? There's nothing wrong with going to the show for the show.
Tryin2Reason wrote:Maybe what needs to happen is some mainland Parrotheads need to be regulars at the Shell to teach the Pacific Islanders how to throw a real Buffett party.
What's a "real Buffett party" and do you have to be a "real Parrothead" to throw one? :roll:
Tryin2Reason wrote:This certainly isn't knocking the Parrotheads at the Shell. Just wish, since they are in the perfect spot, the atmosphere would be more like a mainland show.
I'm glad it wasn't more like a mainland show. That would defeat the purpose of going to Hawaii.
Tiki Bar
Thank God the Tiki Torch Still Shines
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour / Tin Cup Chalice medley!
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Friends don't let friends drink tequila! Beer me!

Post by Tiki Bar »

I wish I was speaking from experience, but I'm not...

But I'm thinking, when in Hawaii, do as Hawaiians do!
You’re still grinning, we’re still winning, nothing left to say
I’m still gliding as I go flying down this endless wave
East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Tonight I Just Need My Guitar *and* Southern Cross
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by East Texas Parrothead »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
Tryin2Reason wrote:The only thing bad about the show there is that Hawaiian Parrotheads are just not into the heavy tailgaiting that goes on at places like Great Woods or Nissan Pavillion before a show. The other shocker was that very few people were appropriately dressed for the show like they are at mainland venues For instance, I saw nobody dressed like a shark, nobody dressed like a volcano (someone does that every year at Nissan), and only a few people in grass skirts. Maybe what needs to happen is some mainland Parrotheads need to be regulars at the Shell to teach the Pacific Islanders how to throw a real Buffett party.

Honolulu isn't a mainland venue. The show is different. The party is different. If you want it like the mainland, then you should probably stay on the mainland. The Parrotheads in Hawaii don't need mainlanders to "teach" them how to act at THEIR venue. Talk about arrogant...... :-? :-? :-?
Yeah. wSGHs.

The original post is precisely why I try to act like a local instead of a tourist when I visit the islands. I'm on their turf, not the other way around.

Hawaiians LIVE the life. No one needs to teach them anything. It is US who can learn from their exhuberant way of life, ancient wisdom and respect for all things. After all, they invented the ALOHA spirit.

Both Hawaii shows in 2004 were to die for. Honolulu was more energetic compared to Maui, but to me, Maui will forever be the most magical Buffett experience I've had in 30 some-odd years of following the man and his song lines.

Not enough room for all the glitz and glamour on that small stage. Pretty much just stripped down to Jimmy, the music and the trade winds blowing through the palms. ~Sigh~
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
My love is an anchor tied to you, tied with a silver chain.
jonesbeach10
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Weather is Here Wish You Were Beautiful
Number of Concerts: 9
Location: Living with my feet in DC and my head in the cool blue north

Post by jonesbeach10 »

CheeseHead in Paradise! wrote: By the way, it 33 degrees this morning :cry:
33 degrees and there's no hockey game on,
Nobody cares, they're way too far gone,
Screaming Boat Drinks! Something to keep them all warm!

That's basically Buffet in a nutshell, taking paradise to others, not bringing others to paradice (although that is nice). The ultimate venue is in the midwest where its unseasonably cold nobody cares

Sometimes more than others,
we see who and what and where we are,
I'm just a one man band,
With my feet in the sand,
Tonight I just need my guitar
blackjack
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor or Little Miss Magic
Number of Concerts: 17
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by blackjack »

jonesbeach10 wrote:
CheeseHead in Paradise! wrote: By the way, it 33 degrees this morning :cry:
33 degrees and there's no hockey game on,
Nobody cares, they're way too far gone,
Screaming Boat Drinks! Something to keep them all warm!

That's basically Buffet in a nutshell, taking paradise to others, not bringing others to paradice (although that is nice). The ultimate venue is in the midwest where its unseasonably cold nobody cares
Uh-oh Jones, put on your helmet! :pirate:
poolboy Bob
I need two more boat drinks

Post by poolboy Bob »

Tryin2Reason wrote:I was at the show at the Shell on April 19. It was my 31st Buffett show. Without doubt the Shell is THE Ultimate Buffett venue. Think of it: !) The Shell has volcanoes on two sides (Diamond Head is directly to the left), 2) there are real palm trees on either side of the the Shell (no need for artificial ones), 3) it sits less than 1/2 mile from Waikiki - a real beach so nobody has to haul in sand for a beach like they do in Raleigh), 4) there are real sharks just offshore, 5) the venue is on an island, 6) Honolulu is the only regular Buffett venue that is entirely in the tropics.

Fins left
Waikiki gets sand hauled in from Molokai