Radio Margaritaville on Sirius is a disappointment

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

MikeInNOLA
Fruitcake
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by MikeInNOLA »

Pale Invader wrote:
Key Lime Lee wrote:Steve was the main deejay at RM and he's still there.... but of course he can't be on 24 hours a day, so they have to mix it up.
Uh-huh, and how about Carson Cooper, Puntamaya Hour, Grateful Dead, Coral Reefers, Stories we could tell . . .?

PI
Steve mentioned during yesterdays broadcast that we could expect Feats at Five, Happy Hour from New Orleans, Down South Radio Hour, etc back in the very near future.
Mike Billings
Repatriated Louisianian!

- - -
ImageImageImage
udog2us
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Sirius Radio

Post by udog2us »

Is it normal for Buffett News to pull an email that is critical of JB. It seems that my posts from yesterday are gone today?

Did JB has sell out to big business! They say to be patient till they get the kinks worked out? Well, everything I have read & observed is that JB is very particular and wants everything perfect. I think what we have is what we will get from now on RM. That includes Stevie Wonder, Elvis and Lovin Spoonful in the same set.

I AM ON STRIKE!!!!
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Re: Sirius Radio

Post by RinglingRingling »

udog2us wrote:Is it normal for Buffett News to pull an email that is critical of JB. It seems that my posts from yesterday are gone today?

Did JB has sell out to big business! They say to be patient till they get the kinks worked out? Well, everything I have read & observed is that JB is very particular and wants everything perfect. I think what we have is what we will get from now on RM. That includes Stevie Wonder, Elvis and Lovin Spoonful in the same set.

I AM ON STRIKE!!!!
No. Usually that is just operator error in posting the message. Unless you stated your opinion in a libelous, profane, or obscene manner. In which case, we are back to operator error in posting.
MikeInNOLA
Fruitcake

Re: Sirius Radio

Post by MikeInNOLA »

udog2us wrote:Is it normal for Buffett News to pull an email that is critical of JB. It seems that my posts from yesterday are gone today?
I AM ON STRIKE!!!!
Operator error when you forget where you posted...

We will miss you when you are gone? :roll:
Mike Billings
Repatriated Louisianian!

- - -
ImageImageImage
CoronaDoug
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by CoronaDoug »

I also miss the Vacation channel. RM plays many songs that do not have a tropical feel. That is why I think there is a need for both channels.
This Post Brought To You Courtesy Of Many Corona Extra. The Official Beer Of A.J. Smith(GM of the San Diego Chargers).

"They Look A Lot Better As Beer Cans." - Jimmy Buffett
doxadive
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at Forty
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: Sailor Jerry and Coke

Post by doxadive »

so is there the buffett buffet? and those things? the weekly concert playback at noon on thursdays (when a live concert isnt happening?
if you cant laugh at yourself, laugh at someone else.
NeckCar
Havana Daydreamin'

Post by NeckCar »

i think it is the s***
MikeInNOLA
Fruitcake

Post by MikeInNOLA »

doxadive wrote:so is there the buffett buffet? and those things? the weekly concert playback at noon on thursdays (when a live concert isnt happening?
Yes, there is still a Buffett buffet...and, Steve stated all the old programming will eventually be back on (Feats, Greatful Dead, Down South, etc) when they get everything worked out.

I am digging it like it is! 8)
Mike Billings
Repatriated Louisianian!

- - -
ImageImageImage
lookingat40
I need two more boat drinks

Post by lookingat40 »

CoronaDoug wrote:I also miss the Vacation channel. RM plays many songs that do not have a tropical feel. That is why I think there is a need for both channels.
My sentiments exactly!...I heard Lyle Lovett again this morning...It's wall to wall Lyle Lovett...I guess you have to Lovett!!!...lol
Captain Joe
I have found me a home

Post by Captain Joe »

Monkey wrote:The old show replayed 2 or 3 times each day, that won't work on something like sirius, they need have programming for the whole day.

So, they had to add a DJ, they had to add some content. I like it and I am sure like anything it will get better as they get things sorted.
I was digging Vaction also. But, as Monkey says the station was on a loop and played the same songs over and over, At least they are mixing everything up. The 60's folk mixed with Jimmy and beach bands...pretty damn cool....
The Seas in my veins
Captain Joe
I have found me a home

Post by Captain Joe »

Captain Joe wrote:
Monkey wrote:The old show replayed 2 or 3 times each day, that won't work on something like sirius, they need have programming for the whole day.

So, they had to add a DJ, they had to add some content. I like it and I am sure like anything it will get better as they get things sorted.
I was digging Vaction also. But, as Monkey says the station was on a loop and played the same songs over and over, At least they are mixing everything up. The 60's folk mixed with Jimmy and beach bands...pretty damn cool....
Ok, I take it back..they are playing Boston....I want some Island music!
The Seas in my veins
mikemck
Gypsies in the palace

Post by mikemck »

As long as I can still hear "Vintage Vinyl" and "Little Steven", I don't really mind the changes. Mostly I just hope that they don't forget the loyal fan base that got them onto Sirius in the first place.

So far, the only complaint I have is pretty trivial. I'll get over it.
lookingat40

Post by lookingat40 »

Captain Joe wrote:
Captain Joe wrote:

Ok, I take it back..they are playing Boston....I want some Island music!
They played Frank Sinatra's "Wave" monday night...now I have over 130 Sinatra cd's...my all time favorite...but it's Radio Margaritaville...and yes another Bonnie Raitt sighting...We have enough to talk about...lol
pair8head
God's Own Drunk
Number of Concerts: 300
Location: I'm not in the middle of nowhere but, you can see it from here.

Post by pair8head »

I never really listened that much to RM on the pc, so I really have nothing to compair with Sirius. However I will tell you all that I love listening to RM on Sirius.
SAVE THE EARTH
It's the only Planet that has chocolate.
joe_pyrat
I have found me a home

Post by joe_pyrat »

When I heard Radio Margaritaville was going to be on Sirius, I started seriously thinking about buying a Sirius radio for my boat, but after checking with their support people I was told it was only good for about 200 miles off shore, so I decided to wait. Then I started thinking RM was sounding a little different, but thought maybe it was just me. However, after reading this thread, apparently RM has changed. It is still fun to listen to the concerts, and hopefully they will get back on track with the overall sound. Only time will tell...
Joe Pyrat

ImageImage
Spinniker
Southeast of disorder

Post by Spinniker »

I to am a bit disappointed, put me down as a “NO” vote…. :roll:
I see a flying boat and I get a lump in my throat
PA PAR8 HED
Hoot!

Post by PA PAR8 HED »

I'll give RM some time to get some of the old shows back in. And I think the music hasn't changed all that much. Steve played a lot of classic rock along with Island, reggae, etc. It does sound a little more formula now as you hear certain songs/artist in a heavier rotation.

You never used to hear the same song 2 days in a row. I think I heard Lyle Lovett's "Something In The Way She Moves" yesterday and today.

Give 'em some time to iron out the wrinkles. And I am always available if they need a helping hand! :D
My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell all my Buffett stuff for what I said I paid for it!
Glorfindel7
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Beer, but I also like Margaritas :)

Post by Glorfindel7 »

That's the biggest problem with going commercial. I expect that Radio Margaritaville has to start back at "square one" with this format. I think we need to give them some time to get things squared away.

Part of the reason that they have to keep announcing they are on Sirius is that that is part of their agreement (ie Sirius wants to plug its product, which is the main reason that they have RM on in the first place.).

Certain shows that were once "free" on the internet now require compensation (ie GDR, Putnamyo Music, etc, so there are now contractural agreements that have to be worked out.) Same goes with music artists and music sets. (Not much different from regular radio, except no commercials and no repeat format.)
lookingat40

Post by lookingat40 »

Thanks to RM I discovered how much I missed listening to David Allan Coe...no they didnt play him...I tried to listen to RM on my way to my parents...an hour and a half drive....but I gave up and listened to Coe's cd "Long Haired Redneck"...thanks RM...dance, dance, Dakota dance, all around the country store...
parrotnole

Post by parrotnole »

I will say I listen to RM during the day at work.. was one of the few things that keeps me sane working in a call center environment. Since the change, I have been a little disppointed as well. I miss Vintage Vinyl every day. I know Carson is out temporarily, and I can't wait for him to come back. But do they really need to have all the "callers" saying how much the love Buffett's music. Every caller is saying the same thing. We are listining to this station b/c we love his music and the other formats. I just don't these interjections are necessary. I keep waiting for some goober to call out a "get 'er done" or something stupid like that. Call it a goofy quirk of mine, but I miss the old format. Haven't heard any of the Taylor family since moving to Sirius. Are they going to have the guest DJ's like we used to? Some of those guys from NC play some good stuff. Love the old school beach/shag music they would do.
Just my thoughts. I still listen at work, and Pirate Looks at 40 or One Particular Harbor takes away all the noise around me.