Confessions of a lapsed Parrothead

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Carmen Miranda
Southeast of disorder
Number of Concerts: 0

Confessions of a lapsed Parrothead

Post by Carmen Miranda »

From 1978 until 1993, you'd be hard pressed to have found a bigger parrothead then myself. I had every Buffett album available and had seen him from all kinds of venues, be they amusement parks, college football fields or the Miami Marine stadium (yes I was there for the "By the Bay" concerts).

But somewhere around 1993, my interest in all-things Jimmy started to wane. There were other interests that had taken over my life (a mortgage, a wife, kids and a dog). My biggest beef with the scene at the time were the actual concerts. I thought Jimmy's shows had become way too silly and too theatrical. "Jeez, just play the music for God's sake!" I used to complain. We don't need a big intro to "Let's Get drunk" involving preachers, a gospel backing and a huge fake stain glass window.

Anyway, I stopped going to shows after the '93 one at Merriweather. I still loved his music and would play it on occasion, but with the exception of my purchasing "TT and S", I didn't buy any of his new albums. About five years ago, I started getting interested again. I wondered how his "newer" albums sounded and I gradually started buying them. I was pleasantly surprised, and with the advent of Radio Margaritaville, I was able to listen to some of his current and past tours. I re-read "Tales from Margaritaville and read the delightful "A Pirate Looks at 50". I was beginning to get hooked all over again.

This leads me up to my first Buffett concert experience in a dozen years. I ventured out to Nissan Pavilion last week, knowing on one hand what to expect, but on the flip-side, I was a little nervous to find out what has changed since Bill Clinton's first year in office.

I was happy to find out the answer was, not much.

I enjoyed the entire evening (not counting the 2 and 1/2 hours it took to get to the event). The parking lot crowd was great and I was treated to jello shots, Coronas and some kind of green rum mixture handed to be by someone with a face painted to look like a shark.

The parking lot was great, but now it was time for the big test. How would the show be? In a word? TERRIFIC

Jimmy and the band sounded sharp and they played with a ton of energy. As the night wore on, I began to feel like I was home again. I'd once complained about hearing "Cheeseburger" for the 1,000,000 time, but you know what? I was happy when I heard the first cords of it last week, and by the end I was singing and dancing along like I was a high school student and it was 1979 all over again.

I really liked it in the second set when Jimmy sat down on a bench made of surfboards and played some "laid-back" tunes (though I wish if he were going to invade the James Taylor songbook, he'd have found a better tune). He really rocked out at the end of the second set (with "OPH" sounding as crisp as it did in the mid-80's).

All in all, it was a great night and the only thing that stinks about it is, I have another year to go before I can do it all over again.

I've been contributing to this message board for two years, so I guess my "lapsed" status has been lifted, but if there was any doubt, after last week, that moniker is officially gone and I'm back amongst the flock.

Happy Summer ya'll.

Carmen :pirate:
"Just livin' in 3/4 time"

land_shark3
Here We Are

Post by land_shark3 »

Welcome back! :D
It's your world, I'm just living in it! :pirate:

BostonFins
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: King of Somewhere Hot
Number of Concerts: 28
Favorite Boat Drink: Michelada

Post by BostonFins »

You can check out...but you can never leave! :wink:
"Strangers stopping strangers, just to shake their hands..."

Captain Joe
I have found me a home

Post by Captain Joe »

You have found you a home...
The Seas in my veins

tdparrothead
Behind Door #3

Post by tdparrothead »

Welcome back!!! :D

sailingagain
Touch of Island Fever
Favorite Buffett Song: Banana Republic
Number of Concerts: 25
Favorite Boat Drink: Any random tequila shot

Post by sailingagain »

Good to have you back!! :pirate:
"In the morning when you rise, aren't you glad to be alive?"

Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 15

Post by Quiet and Shy »

Ahhhhhhh......home.

:wink: :D
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

three hail marys four our fathers

and the Next round of Jello shots are on you :D :D

SchoonerWharf
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: Delaney Talks To Statues
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Loaded Landshark

Post by SchoonerWharf »

Except for the baffling love of "A Pirate Looks at 50" I say welcome back aboard!!! Its horrible getting older isn't it!!!!!
Spending 24/7 in a Key West state of mind......

ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

There's no place like home!
"I finally know what Michael Jordan was talking about when he said he was 'in the zone'"
Jimmy Buffett, 9/4/05, Wrigley Field

Sidew13
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything to put me in a Tropical frame of mind
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum and Rum and oh YES RUM

Post by Sidew13 »

Welcome back to the PHlock :D
Trying to Take Another Road

Image Image

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

SchoonerWharf wrote:Except for the baffling love of "A Pirate Looks at 50" I say welcome back aboard!!! Its horrible getting older isn't it!!!!!
It could have been worse, he didn't say he liked "A Salty Piece Of Land". :lol:

dawgfan
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 52

Post by dawgfan »

:D WE are glad you came back,Welcome Home 8)

Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 15

Post by Quiet and Shy »

LIPH wrote:
SchoonerWharf wrote:Except for the baffling love of "A Pirate Looks at 50" I say welcome back aboard!!! Its horrible getting older isn't it!!!!!
It could have been worse, he didn't say he liked "A Salty Piece Of Land". :lol:
I thought ASPOL was fine and APLA50 his best. Personal opinions, yes, but don't chase off our newly-returned friend (this re-orientation stage can be quite delicate....)
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far