Set List Makeover

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Lilmissmagic9
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Number of Concerts: 0

Set List Makeover

Post by Lilmissmagic9 »

Following a few discussions with some fellow parrotheads, we have come to a very risky, yet necessary decision.
It is time for Jimmy to perform a makeover to his set lists.
The list of "must play, crowd pleasers" has gotten out of hand...
I understand the need to play certain songs like "Margaritaville" and "Why Don't We Get Drunk" for the people who are just there for the party.
But since when are Brown Eyed Girl and Southern Cross songs that have to be played at every show? I saw him 3 times this year and I am BORED to death with Cheeseburger, Fins, Volcano etc...
I vote to get rid of some Songs You Know By Heart to make room for some old songs, or maybe just some less popular songs. I have been waiting my whole life to hear Migration, Far Side of the World, Ace, African Friend....even First Look or Lone Palm...those are GREAT songs....

Way better, in my opinion than Son of a Sailor or Volcano...

Just throwing it out there?

Opinions?

One more thing:

I love Mac more than life itself
so be careful when you go to swing your partner
someone just might take a swing at you

MNflyBoy
Southeast of disorder

back to the basics

Post by MNflyBoy »

I would like to see a back to the basics tour sort of like "Unplugged" (show used to be on mtv). Jimmy has a lot of great tunes such as Twelve Volt Man, Distantly in Love, etc.............that would sound great with just a guitar and a mic :D . But no matter what I will keep on going to his concerts because there is nothing else lik'em........
"Blue skies and ultra violet rays"

davesnik
Behind Door #3

Post by davesnik »

I agree with the Brown Eyed Girl comment. Please don't get rid of Southern Cross (BHA...you know why! ;) )

I agree to...I would have LOVED to hear "A Salty Piece of Land" at the tour of the same name this year. That's one of my fave JB songs. Lone Palm would be great.....the list could go on forever. We love you Jimmy. Can we change things up a bit for the next tour???? All of your music is great and you know we love it all!

Cincy - 6/8
Alpine - 6/10
Tinley Park - 8/5
INDY for MY BIRTHDAY!!!!! - 8/8
What heaven brought you & me, cannot be forgotten....

finsup
I have found me a home

Post by finsup »

I agree, but Margaritaville, SOASOAS and Pirate looks at 40 are a must!
Tryin to Reason With Hurricane Season!
Charley, Phrances, IVAN IS COMING!

Left Field ParrotHead
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Perfect Margarita from the M'ville in Las Vegas!!
Location: Across the street, having a beer with the neighbours

Post by Left Field ParrotHead »

I said this once before...

and I'll say it again...

A&E's Live by Request; Jimmy Buffett

would be spectacular.
Dumb and drunk as I was, you know I would do it all again.

Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 15

Post by Quiet and Shy »

Left Field ParrotHead wrote:I said this once before...

and I'll say it again...

would be spectacular.
Absolutely!!!!!

Given his library of music, it'd have to be a special 3-hour version though. :wink: :D (much longer and we'd probably wear him out...but what a night that would be). :D
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far

Left Field ParrotHead
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Perfect Margarita from the M'ville in Las Vegas!!
Location: Across the street, having a beer with the neighbours

Post by Left Field ParrotHead »

Quiet and Shy wrote:

and I'll say it again...

would be spectacular.
Absolutely!!!!!

Given his library of music, it'd have to be a special 3-hour version though. :wink: :D (much longer and we'd probably wear him out...but what a night that would be). :D
Alison, I knew you and I were on the same page.
Dumb and drunk as I was, you know I would do it all again.

phenwayparrothead
Half-baked cookies in the oven

Post by phenwayparrothead »

I would love to see a major change in the play list, unfortunately as long as Jimmy is goiong to continue to play the large venues I dont think we will see it.

BadHabitsAcctnt
Overkill

Post by BadHabitsAcctnt »

and I'll say it again...

would be spectacular.
Long overdue and well deserved. Wow, how cool would that be.
Timing in life is everything!
Alpine, Blossom, Noblesville, Poplar Creek, Tinley, Toyota Park, Vegas, Wrigley; 22 years and counting.

davesnik
Behind Door #3

Post by davesnik »

BadHabitsAcctnt wrote:

and I'll say it again...

would be spectacular.
Long overdue and well deserved. Wow, how cool would that be.
That would be one we'd have to go to ..... most definitely!

Cincy - 6/8
Alpine - 6/10
Tinley Park - 8/5

finsup2k
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Number of Concerts: 38

Re: Set List Makeover

Post by finsup2k »

Lilmissmagic9 wrote:I have been waiting my whole life to hear Migration
My guess is, you'll be waiting a long time. I, too, would love to hear Migration - but he never plays it. Can't figure out why.
"As the son of a son of a sailor I went out on the sea for adventure..."

Capttony
I need two more boat drinks

Post by Capttony »

yup.....i have to agree....Its time for a big shake up in the set list. I have to admit that its become "oh, he's playing cip, time to hit the bathroom"...

I would love to hear songs like "miss you so badly, migration, life is a tire swing.....i know he needs to play some of the popular SYKBH, but it really needs a makeover.
Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way

ToplessRideFL
Changing Channels

Re: Set List Makeover

Post by ToplessRideFL »

finsup2k wrote: I, too, would love to hear Migration - but he never plays it. Can't figure out why.
Me either...... I love that song!
MOST VALUABLE PLAYER OF BN FEUD VII

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

He'll never drop Cheeseburger In Paradise from the setlist, look at all the publicity the restaurants get from that song now.

I like Brown Eyed Girl and Southern Cross but I'm tired of hearing them. I could do without Why Don't We Get Drunk and I don't think I'd be disappointed if he dropped Fins or Volcano. He could skip the entire License To Chill CD, except maybe Boats To Build. Bring back the old stuff, the songs that made us fans in the first place.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

I don't think Buffett will ever drop all of the staples. Even if he toured solo he'd probably feel compelled to at least include some of them. As far as his pre-Crusteacen stuff, I don't think he's ever played any of those songs live except maybe for the ones he later re-cut like "In The Shelter". Even though it's full of current country stars and mostly cover songs, I really don't mind License to Chill all that much, "Coast of Carolina" is one of the best songs he's done in years and one of the few tunes I feel stands up to his 70s material (his peak, in my opinion, at least as a songwriter).

A & E's Live By Request would be great as would VH1's Storytellers. If you can get your hands on it, his appearance on TNN's Texas Connection with Jerry Jeff and Fingers is well worth seeking out. I just feel fortunate to have seen him a few times on college campuses before the parrothead madness and all that it entails (all the extra onstage props, dancers, etc.) began to dominate the shows.

Tin Cup
Southeast of disorder

Post by Tin Cup »

Please, can we say "buh-bye" to CIP!?!?

I can't imagine too many people leaving a concert declaring "Damn, I can't believe he didn't play Cheeseburger!" If someone was overheard saying that, I think verbal abuse would be appropriate, or perhaps a nice pummeling with spent lime wedges. :wink:
"I want so badly to go..."

LESTERPOLYESTER
We are the People our Parents Warned us

Post by LESTERPOLYESTER »

Jahfin wrote:I don't think Buffett will ever drop all of the staples. Even if he toured solo he'd probably feel compelled to at least include some of them. As far as his pre-Crusteacen stuff, I don't think he's ever played any of those songs live except maybe for the ones he later re-cut like "In The Shelter". Even though it's full of current country stars and mostly cover songs, I really don't mind License to Chill all that much, "Coast of Carolina" is one of the best songs he's done in years and one of the few tunes I feel stands up to his 70s material (his peak, in my opinion, at least as a songwriter).

A & E's Live By Request would be great as would VH1's Storytellers. If you can get your hands on it, his appearance on TNN's Texas Connection with Jerry Jeff and Fingers is well worth seeking out. I just feel fortunate to have seen him a few times on college campuses before the parrothead madness and all that it entails (all the extra onstage props, dancers, etc.) began to dominate the shows.

Coast of Carolina shoudl become a staple in the set list. I totally agree...his best song in years. Also Coastal Confessions is great off LTC.

davesnik
Behind Door #3

Post by davesnik »

With all of the people on this board with some awesome connections, what can we do to get him on A&E or VH1??

Cincy - 6/8
Alpine - 6/10
Tinley Park - 8/5

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

The electricity of the crowd during those same-o same-o songs is magic!!!! It makes the concert experience that much more invigorating.

Yet, to me, there has not been a show to compare to the Jerry Jeff Walker's BDB in 2002, when they both sat there and traded songs back and forth. I have never seen a Jimmy performance better than that one, although we sat in our seats and took it all in.

We'll take what we can get when we can get it...come what may!

jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm

Post by jbfins »

He'll never do it for a big show. He's said on numerous ocassions that he tries to give everyone something, and I can't blame him for that. After all, he IS a business man.

What I can't understand though is why there can't be more diversity in the setlist. Why do the same encore for all of the shows?

Me, I have given up on shows. I don't even listen to them on RM because what is the point? It's just the same crappy stuff over and over again, and God forbid Steve H. ask him a real question!

What I would love to know though is everyone's opinion as to what they think would happen if he didn't play SYKBH. What would happen if he did just bust out a crazy setlist filled with obscure stuff?

My guess is many people would leave early. Which is probably why he doesn't do it, he knows that no matter how many people go to his shows, his real phan base just isn't that big.
"Some people never find it..."