please take your drunken 15 year old girlfriend home

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

cdudley
I have found me a home
Number of Concerts: 0

please take your drunken 15 year old girlfriend home

Post by cdudley »

Has anyone heard Buffett play or refer to this song in the past 25 years? I have always wondered what the full story was. Why was it taken off the record and never played live, or even mentioned of? I understand the political reasons. But why never even mention it? I have a record of Havana Daydreaming that has it as the last song (unmentioned in the notes).
Anyone ever hear him say anything about it???

Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

I don't really have an answer to your question but I do know that song was mentioned in a article from a long out of print magazine I picked up in the late 70s. I also don't know the reasoning behind why it was dropped from Havana Daydreamin' but I seriously doubt it had anything to do with "political reasons" especially considering this is the same guy that wrote "Why Don't We Get Drunk (And Screw)" and "My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink and I Don't Love Jesus".

Goodman
Fruitcake

Please Take Your ....

Post by Goodman »

I think the underage sexual innuendo and drug references combined were too much for JB or the label at the time. Or maybe it's just not that great of a tune. I'd rather hear Abandoned on Tuesday any day.
I know Jimmy Buffett, Jimmy Buffett is a friend of mine. Son, you're no Jimmy Buffett!
As quoted by Marvin Gardens 4/1/89

Jahfin
Inactive User

Re: Please Take Your ....

Post by Jahfin »

Goodman wrote:I think the underage sexual innuendo and drug references combined were too much for JB or the label at the time. Or maybe it's just not that great of a tune. I'd rather hear Abandoned on Tuesday any day.
I really don't think the "sexual innuendo and drug references" have anything to do with it. In addition to the songs I've already cited, Buffett mentioned marijuana in "Pencil Thin Mustache" and "A Pirate Looks At 40" and underage sexual situations in the early version of "Livingston Saturday Night" that appears on the Rancho Deluxe soundtrack and those are just scraping the tip of the iceberg when it comes to risque references in his work. It has also made it as far as being included on some editions of Havana Daydreamin'.

longlinergirl
Hoot!

Post by longlinergirl »

Hey thats my song!!!! Thats all I have to contribute to this...sorry :)
Eat seafood? Use bait? Thank a commercial fisherman.

"Miami has the Dolphins, the greatest football team..."

Q:"What is with this Parrothead phenomenon"?

A:"Its like AA, but in reverse"

Tiki Bar
Thank God the Tiki Torch Still Shines
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour / Tin Cup Chalice medley!
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Friends don't let friends drink tequila! Beer me!

Post by Tiki Bar »

Jahfin wrote:
Goodman wrote:I think the underage sexual innuendo and drug references combined were too much for JB or the label at the time. Or maybe it's just not that great of a tune. I'd rather hear Abandoned on Tuesday any day.
I really don't think the "sexual innuendo and drug references" have anything to do with it. In addition to the songs I've already cited, Buffett mentioned marijuana in "Pencil Thin Mustache" and "A Pirate Looks At 40" and underage sexual situations in the early version of "Livingston Saturday Night" that appears on the Rancho Deluxe soundtrack and those are just scraping the tip of the iceberg when it comes to risque references in his work. It has also made it as far as being included on some editions of Havana Daydreamin'.
I disagree, but it's just my opinion. "I'm horny and my mind begins to roam" over a 15 year old, implying he might act upon it if she isn't brought home, even back then, is far more taboo than any of the other songs you mentioned. I'm guessing Jimmy would think better of singing it as long as he has had a wife and / or daughter.
You’re still grinning, we’re still winning, nothing left to say
I’m still gliding as I go flying down this endless wave

urlcenter
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 6

Post by urlcenter »

I have a live recording

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

Bob Karwin does a nice Cover.. 8) 8)

Goodman
Fruitcake

Post by Goodman »

Tiki Bar wrote:
Jahfin wrote:
I disagree, but it's just my opinion. "I'm horny and my mind begins to roam" over a 15 year old, implying he might act upon it if she isn't brought home, even back then, is far more taboo than any of the other songs you mentioned. I'm guessing Jimmy would think better of singing it as long as he has had a wife and / or daughter.

TBar

Thank's for covering my back. :-) Steve Eng's classic The Man from Margaritaville (page 170) indicates that Jimmy's audience had somehow slipped under him (no pun intended). Yvonne Surette of the Boston Globe noted that " Every band must have a groupie". Think of Croce's "five short minutes alone done brought me 20 long years in jail" Quaalude queens were in attendance at JB's shows. Certainly JB believed in living and let livin (or dyin in 3/4 time) but being semi propositioned by a underager and worse yet acting on it, was a date with disaster. Kind of a reality check/ cold water on the face for JB. Sorry but the topic was taboo even for Mr.- Why don't we get drunk & screw?. Now if it was DAC- no problem. :-)
I know Jimmy Buffett, Jimmy Buffett is a friend of mine. Son, you're no Jimmy Buffett!

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

ragtopW wrote:Bob Karwin does a nice Cover.. 8) 8)
Is it actually on one of his cds?

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

conched wrote:
ragtopW wrote:Bob Karwin does a nice Cover.. 8) 8)
Is it actually on one of his cds?
I will check... if not next time I see him I will put a bug in his ear.. 8) 8) :pirate:

ask the MOTM crew... I will walk up to anyone and start talking. :D

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

I guess I can't see him having it recorded on a CD anymore than I could see Buffett doing it.

joe_pyrat
I have found me a home

Post by joe_pyrat »

No way to prove it, but I think fatherhood changed Jimmy's perspective a bit.
Joe Pyrat

ImageImage

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

conched wrote:I guess I can't see him having it recorded on a CD anymore than I could see Buffett doing it.
Well and this is just me thinking..

Bob does not have a record company to be involved.
his sales come from live shows and his web site. (which face it
come from live shows)

and if I were a tribute artist I would find a way to have this song on
a Cd. I then could say I have recorded a song of Jimmys even He has not.

But that is just me..

Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

Tiki Bar wrote:
Jahfin wrote:
I don't think that even enters into the picture. Fact of the matter is, he did go far enough to include it on some pressings of Havana Daydreamin' so that indicates there was a very good possibility that it was going to be released to a mass audience. Why it wasn't is a question only Buffett or his record company at the time can answer. To my ears "15 may get you twenty" is along the very same line of thinking and that song ("Livingston Saturday Night") did make the cut.

jimolliemom
I Love the Now!

Post by jimolliemom »

I have a version of this...and it's great. I, personally, am not listening to JB for the proper etiquette. I am listening because he's PHun and he talks about risque' things in most of his songs. You could even stretch "I go for younger women...TROUBLE"...to have the same meaning.
Last edited by jimolliemom on November 27, 2005 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Mommy, when is Jimmy Buffett coming to OUR house? We go see him ALL THE TIME??" (Actual quote from my 5 y/o keet)

SchoonerWharf
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: Delaney Talks To Statues
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Loaded Landshark

Post by SchoonerWharf »

I'd rather hear Abandoned on Tuesday any day.
Amen to that.
Spending 24/7 in a Key West state of mind......

conched
Last Man Standing

Re: please take your drunken 15 year old girlfriend home

Post by conched »

cdudley wrote:Has anyone heard Buffett play or refer to this song in the past 25 years? I have always wondered what the full story was. Why was it taken off the record and never played live, or even mentioned of? I understand the political reasons. But why never even mention it? I have a record of Havana Daydreaming that has it as the last song (unmentioned in the notes).
You have a nice collector's item there!

I have never ever heard Jimmy mention anything about PTY...

Tiki Bar
Thank God the Tiki Torch Still Shines
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour / Tin Cup Chalice medley!
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Friends don't let friends drink tequila! Beer me!

Re: please take your drunken 15 year old girlfriend home

Post by Tiki Bar »

conched wrote:
cdudley wrote:Has anyone heard Buffett play or refer to this song in the past 25 years? I have always wondered what the full story was. Why was it taken off the record and never played live, or even mentioned of? I understand the political reasons. But why never even mention it? I have a record of Havana Daydreaming that has it as the last song (unmentioned in the notes).
You have a nice collector's item there!

I have never ever heard Jimmy mention anything about PTY...
PYT - Pretty Young Thing!!!

:oops: :oops: Yes - that's Michael Jackson I'm singing! :lol:
You’re still grinning, we’re still winning, nothing left to say
I’m still gliding as I go flying down this endless wave

Goodman
Fruitcake

Look at the Evidence

Post by Goodman »

Please Take Your Drunken Fifteen Year-old Girlfriend Home
By: Jimmy Buffett
Please take your girlfriend home
She's only fifteen, she shouldn't be back here alone
I'm horny and my mind begins to roam
So please take your drunken fifteen year-old girlfriend home

She found mama's quaalude 'script
Took a few just right before the show

She is no beer drinker
She used the bathroom fifteen times I know

Her overtures were rather crude
Her boyfriend he was more than rude to me
I'm twenty-eight and I don't date
I still know classy women who like me

Chorus:
So please take your girlfriend home
She's only fifteen, she shouldn't be back here alone
I'm horny and my mouth begins to foam
So please take your 15 year-old girlfriend home

(INSTRUMENTAL)

She said our show was rather dull
She liked Jethro Tull more than she liked us
She said a cab cost twenty bucks
I gave her thirty cents to ride the bus

When she hit me with a mic
Something with which I could not agree
When she said she dug the harmonica player
A whole lot more than she dug me

CHORUS
So please take your girlfriend home
She's only 15, she shouldn't be back here alone
Oh, take her to go read the Rolling Stone
And please take your drunken 15 year-old girlfriend home

Thank you Cobo for the lyrics. Why doesn't BN have this resource?