re: Tinley park

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

phi_sig23
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Southern Cross
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: Captain Colada

re: Tinley park

Post by phi_sig23 »

I will be attending my first buffett concert and I am very excited. Now I know almost everyone Drinks and parties, but in Chicago at the Midwest Bank Ampitheatre, it says that tailgating is not allowed becasue of city code and no alcohol is permitted. Is this true? Has anyone been there to confirm or deny. I can not believe no alcohol is allowed. Please advise ASAP, tickets go on sale monday.

Nick

Buffett PHan
I need two more boat drinks

Post by Buffett PHan »

I've been to several Buffett shows at Tinley Park........tailgating is in full force there. I think pretty much all the venue sites say the same thing.

jiggs(2)
We are the People our Parents Warned us

Post by jiggs(2) »

for legal reasons most places say this...they cannot encourage it or they would have a weaker defense if someone took legal action against them for something that goes down....

Historically the lots have opened a bit later than other venues, but its still a good party

Spikeit
Southeast of disorder
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: re: Tinley park

Post by Spikeit »

phi_sig23 wrote:I will be attending my first buffett concert and I am very excited. Now I know almost everyone Drinks and parties, but in Chicago at the Midwest Bank Ampitheatre, it says that tailgating is not allowed becasue of city code and no alcohol is permitted. Is this true? Has anyone been there to confirm or deny. I can not believe no alcohol is allowed. Please advise ASAP, tickets go on sale monday.

Nick

Do yourself a favor and get tickets to Alpine Valley instead. I have seen many shows in both venues and the Tinley venue B.L.O.W.S!!! The ocoustics are terrible, tailgating is generally frowned upon...it's just plain bad! Alpine Valley is one of the best venues in the country without a bad seat in the entire place...including the enormous lawn! Naturally perfect ocoustics and some of the best tailgating available!

If you go I may see ya there!

Phins Up!
"Going where the weather suits my clothes"

moeron
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Boat Drinks.
Number of Concerts: 26
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita's with good Tequila

Post by moeron »

Alpine valley is the best place that Iv'e been to. tweeter or what ever it's called sucks. The cops chase you out as soon as you park your car. After the show they have a show of force to get you to sit in your car waiting for traffic to move. No phun at all.
I'd rather die while I'm Living, Than live while I'm dead!
ImageImage

Spikeit
Southeast of disorder

Post by Spikeit »

moeron wrote:Alpine valley is the best place that Iv'e been to. tweeter or what ever it's called sucks. The cops chase you out as soon as you park your car. After the show they have a show of force to get you to sit in your car waiting for traffic to move. No phun at all.
See...Told Ya! :D
"Going where the weather suits my clothes"

Buffett PHan
I need two more boat drinks

Post by Buffett PHan »

I've been to Alpine several times also.......it is better than Tinley Park. But I've tailgated at Tinley Park without any problems and have had many a great time there along with thousands of other tailgaters. Go to both....Alpine and Chicago if you can, the acoustics are much better at Alpine and so is the parking lot but, there is still a big party in Chicago as well.

chitownpirate
Gypsies in the palace
Number of Concerts: 28

Post by chitownpirate »

Anybody saying that Tinley sucks probably haven't been there in awhile...tailgating is in full force before the show, although it doens't start until 3pm...there hasn't really been a big show of force to get people out afterwards, either.
Granted, it doesn't hold a candle to Alpine, but Tinley is much better than it used to be.
As for acoustics, if you're under the pavilion, I don't have any compaints.
Couldn't be me in the gorilla disguise.

7lords
Party at the End of the World
Number of Concerts: 20

Re: re: Tinley park

Post by 7lords »

Spikeit wrote:
phi_sig23 wrote:I will be attending my first buffett concert and I am very excited. Now I know almost everyone Drinks and parties, but in Chicago at the Midwest Bank Ampitheatre, it says that tailgating is not allowed becasue of city code and no alcohol is permitted. Is this true? Has anyone been there to confirm or deny. I can not believe no alcohol is allowed. Please advise ASAP, tickets go on sale monday.

Nick

Do yourself a favor and get tickets to Alpine Valley instead. I have seen many shows in both venues and the Tinley venue B.L.O.W.S!!! The ocoustics are terrible, tailgating is generally frowned upon...it's just plain bad! Alpine Valley is one of the best venues in the country without a bad seat in the entire place...including the enormous lawn! Naturally perfect ocoustics and some of the best tailgating available!

If you go I may see ya there!

Phins Up!
I've been to about 12 Buffett shows at Alpine and that is a bit of an overstatement. Sound is fine in the pavaillion and mybe 2/3 of the lawn but after that sound is so-so and good luck seeing anything from there and don't even bother buying reserved seats that are obstructed view. I love the fun at Alpine but to say that everything is perfect isn't really true.
Is it day?

ccabsolut01
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by ccabsolut01 »

I've only been to 5 or 6 venues around the country, but I would have to say that Alpine is better than all the rest. If youre debating between Alpine or Chicago, definitely go to Alpine, but I would suggest just going to both. Alpine has the best party around, but the party is quite similar at Tinley Park. Both have opened gates no later than 12 or 1...usually the traffic, especially at Alpine, forces them to open the gates...when the traffic begins to back up as far as you can see. No fear though...just get out and start the party in the street! :lol:

I'm going to Riverbend in Cincy this year for the first time...What are everyones opinions on the show/party/experience there?

ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

chitownpirate wrote:Anybody saying that Tinley sucks probably haven't been there in awhile...tailgating is in full force before the show, although it doens't start until 3pm...there hasn't really been a big show of force to get people out afterwards, either.
Granted, it doesn't hold a candle to Alpine, but Tinley is much better than it used to be.
As for acoustics, if you're under the pavilion, I don't have any compaints.
I would agree-the acoustics have improved quite a bit there.

As for the tailgating---the no tailgating policy is a village regulation, and not the venue's, but in recent years, Jimmy has paid a fine to the village (or so we are told) and in return parrotheads are allowed to tailgate.
"I finally know what Michael Jordan was talking about when he said he was 'in the zone'"
Jimmy Buffett, 9/4/05, Wrigley Field

phi_sig23
I have found me a home

Post by phi_sig23 »

Thanks to all. I am mainly going to Tinley park because, 1.) its only a 4 hr drive and 2.) It's on a Saturday and I don't need time off of work. I am so pumped up, I have been a huge fan for a long time, My brothers and I are taking my parents for the 35th wedding anniversary. They have been fans for a long time, but lack traveling and planning skills. Now that us "kids" are old enough, it should be a blast.

phi_sig23
I have found me a home

Post by phi_sig23 »

Should I try to get pavilion seats or go for the lawn seats? What is the major difference? Also, is there room for lawn chairs and what not in the lawn area?

prrthd1987
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine

Post by prrthd1987 »

Go for lawn (its about 90 bucks cheaper) You can't bring your own lawn chairs but you can rent special ones that wont tip for 5 bucks each. Shows are rain or shine so there is always the chance of the lawn becoming a mudslide... I've done lawn, skybox, and pavillion for this venue, and they are all good, but from a financial standpoint I would recommend lawn for this show.

prrthd1987
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine

Post by prrthd1987 »

But also the catch for lawn seats is that Jimmy brings his own jumbo screens, so they don't use the ones in front of the lawn... so the view is not the best but the sound is ok (not the best not the worst)

phi_sig23
I have found me a home

Post by phi_sig23 »

Thanks to all for all the info. Should be a great time. I can hardly wait. Only 148 days and counting......

phi_sig23
I have found me a home

Post by phi_sig23 »

Another Dumb question. Can you drink on the lawn or do you have to do all your drinking before hand?

rkoener
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: Captain and the Kid
Number of Concerts: 16
Favorite Boat Drink: Captain and Coke

Tweeter and Cincy

Post by rkoener »

I haven't been to tweeter in a few years, but it has always been my experience that Alpine is much better. One year we were at Tweeter in our RV (because they were hassling people outside) and the cop/security gaurd opened the door and told us that we either had to go inside to the beer garden area (and buy their beer) or leave. That we couldn't stay out in the parking lot. After that I really don't care to go back. Besides, with Alpine only one more hour away, who would want to go there.

Someone was asking about Cincy. We went there last year for the first time. Mostly because he didn't play at Alpine. It was a lot of fun. The Cincy Parrothead Club had a party the night before for their aniversary, so we stayed 2 nights. The tailgating is a little different there. You are not allowed to tailgate on their property. There are 2 lots accros the street that everyone parties in. They are small so get there early to get a spot. We took an RV and stayed in a private lot about a 1/8mi down the street. It was alot of fun, there were several people there as well.

Have fun.

moeron
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Boat Drinks.
Number of Concerts: 26
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita's with good Tequila

Post by moeron »

With the construction on 94, I would just go there early. Spend the night somewhere south of Chicago.
I'd rather die while I'm Living, Than live while I'm dead!
ImageImage

phi_sig23
I have found me a home

Post by phi_sig23 »

Still waiting on that answer about drinking during the concert??