Our discussion board has been updated to a newer version. If you have a problem with viewing try clearing your browser's cache and refresh.

Yockey Way

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Re: Yawkey Way

Post by BottleofRum » May 15, 2006 4:14 pm

The Boy Nobody Knew wrote:
slimwis wrote:They should call it "Yankee Way" since New York has "owned" the Sox forever.
And millions and millions of baseball fans across the country could care less about the Yankees or the Red Sox, no matter how much the media tries to force us to.

If no one cares how come the 2004 ALCS was the nationally highest rated playoff series in 20+ years, the second highest rated in that same time frame? The 2003 ALCS! Someone is watching?
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by LIPH » May 15, 2006 4:15 pm

BottleofRum wrote:
slimwis wrote:They should call it "Yankee Way" since New York has "owned" the Sox forever.
And millions and millions of baseball fans across the country could care less about the Yankees or the Red Sox, no matter how much the media tries to force us to.

If no one cares how come the 2004 ALCS was the nationally highest rated playoff series in 20+ years, the second highest rated in that same time frame? The 2003 ALCS! Someone is watching?
All the "loosers" from NY and Boston. :lol:
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

The Boy Nobody Knew
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Life is Just a Tire Swing
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Jagerbombs

Post by The Boy Nobody Knew » May 15, 2006 4:32 pm

BottleofRum wrote:

You're right. In fact, they should just change the way MLB is run. Just have the Yankees and Red Sox play each other all season long and the team with the best record gets home field advantage in the World Series. Take the other 28 teams and just let them play each other all season as a developmental league for the Red Sox and Yankees.

Thats pretty much how it goes now anyhow isn't it. Every single player who comes up for free agency, before it can be determined where he might go, the first question is whether the Yankees or Red Sox might want him. It's never, "he's waiting around to see if the Brewers wanna move on him". It's always, always always the Yankees or the Red Sox and it is killing baseball.

It's true, there are a lot of people who do care about them, but there are many many more of us out here who love baseball but find both of them boring. There would be nothing better for baseball than for both teams to go in the tank for about 20 years.

drunkpirate66
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 » May 16, 2006 7:54 am

The truth is this: the owner of the Minnesota Twins (as just ONE example) could buy out Steinbrenner and John Henry 10 times over. Look it up. The fact that the Yankees owner and the Sox owner choose (key word, there - "choose") to spend huge amounts of money to make the fans happy, to me, is great. Great! That is why the rivalry has spread thougout the world - that is why the Sox and Yanks always lead on Sportscenter, that is why they make movies based on the love people have for the Sox. Jimmy played Fenway, I believe, because it is one of the top 3 ball parks in the world (Wrigley and Yankee the others - I hate to admit nthe latter) and the New England Parrot Heads, in Jimmy's words "are still the best around" - Great Woods, Wednesday Show 2005.

And the Twins, as one example, will never be considered real baseball until they get out of the f@cking dome - we can put a robot on Mars . . . the can't grow grass in St. Paul?
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .

The Boy Nobody Knew
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Life is Just a Tire Swing
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Jagerbombs

Post by The Boy Nobody Knew » May 16, 2006 8:24 am

drunkpirate66 wrote:The truth is this: the owner of the Minnesota Twins (as just ONE example) could buy out Steinbrenner and John Henry 10 times over. Look it up. The fact that the Yankees owner and the Sox owner choose (key word, there - "choose") to spend huge amounts of money to make the fans happy, to me, is great. Great! That is why the rivalry has spread thougout the world - that is why the Sox and Yanks always lead on Sportscenter, that is why they make movies based on the love people have for the Sox. Jimmy played Fenway, I believe, because it is one of the top 3 ball parks in the world (Wrigley and Yankee the others - I hate to admit nthe latter) and the New England Parrot Heads, in Jimmy's words "are still the best around" - Great Woods, Wednesday Show 2005.

And the Twins, as one example, will never be considered real baseball until they get out of the f@cking dome - we can put a robot on Mars . . . the can't grow grass in St. Paul?

And once again the competitive disparity is what is killing baseball. Until that gets fixed, baseball is going to push away more and more of its fans just like it has been doing. And I am not sure what criteria you are using for parks calling those the "Top three". They may qualify as the "Oldest Three". There are so many new beautiful parks in the country that make for such a great fan experience, that to call those three decaying monstrosities the top three is kind of funny.

And please, please get rid of that ego. New England Parrotheads are "The best Around?" Umm, you do realize he comes up with something like that for pretty much every area he plays in right? He goes anywhere in the South and calls them the best because he lived there at one time or another. Here in Ohio, we are the best because we are the birthplace of Parrotheads. Hawaii is the best because its beautiful. I'm not sure why New England PH's are the best, but I'm sure he comes up with some reason for it.

BottleofRum

Post by BottleofRum » May 16, 2006 9:14 am

LIPH wrote:
BottleofRum wrote:

All the "loosers" from NY and Boston. :lol:

Looser was coined by a Nyer :D
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”

BottleofRum

Post by BottleofRum » May 16, 2006 9:26 am

BottleofRum wrote:

You're right. In fact, they should just change the way MLB is run. Just have the Yankees and Red Sox play each other all season long and the team with the best record gets home field advantage in the World Series. Take the other 28 teams and just let them play each other all season as a developmental league for the Red Sox and Yankees.

Thats pretty much how it goes now anyhow isn't it. Every single player who comes up for free agency, before it can be determined where he might go, the first question is whether the Yankees or Red Sox might want him. It's never, "he's waiting around to see if the Brewers wanna move on him". It's always, always always the Yankees or the Red Sox and it is killing baseball.

It's true, there are a lot of people who do care about them, but there are many many more of us out here who love baseball but find both of them boring. There would be nothing better for baseball than for both teams to go in the tank for about 20 years.
The Red Sox and the Yankees have a huge following nation wide, no matter where either team plays on the road you will see 25% or more fans supporting them. It doesn't matter how good or bad either team is they always sell out every home game, unlike many other baseball teams who only sell out when the team is doing well.

The Free agent comment is weak when it comes to the Red Sox. They have signed very few top free agents from other teams in the last 10 years. They have lost far more quality free agents (Pedro, Damon, Vaughn, Lowe, Mueller, Cabera, Clemens....) than they have signed Manny, Damon (who they didn't sign until late January 2002 because no one wanted him) and Rentaria who is either good or bad? Besides that they have either brought players up from the minor league or acquired them in trades.

drunkpirate66
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 » May 16, 2006 9:57 am

Just to clarify: "Best Parking Lot". I have seen Jimmy all over, and he only says it at Great Woods. Doesn't matter, though. Parrotheads rule everywhere! That is something, I think, even Sox/ Yanks fans can agree on. Didn't mean to be arrogant - but Great Woods really is special. All parking lots are fun, but there is just something about those Mansfield summer days.

As far as anything else goes: If the Sox or Yanks are referred to in any aspect of the media, I suggest you turn a deaf ear, my Phriend - me thinks you are stressed (I was going to give you a list of 13 movies that DO NOT invovle the Sox or Yanks but decided to take the higher ground.)
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .