cover songs

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

12voltcop
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Posts: 12
Joined: January 25, 2004 8:06 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Annapolis, Maryland
Contact:

covers

Post by 12voltcop »

I think Jimmy's covers are a humble way for him to show his respect to other musicans, and as a way to express his love of music.
"I know there are some fruticakes in Section C... I know Robert's friends are fruitcakes." (Jimmy's gracious shout-out to us on August 27th, 2005 in Philadelphia, PA)

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Posts: 21464
Joined: February 5, 2002 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy
Location: Plowin' straight ahead, come what may

Re: covers

Post by Wino you know »

12voltcop wrote:I think Jimmy's covers are a humble way for him to show his respect to other musicans, and as a way to express his love of music.
ABSOLUTELY!
He's still singing, he's still touring-no complaints, please.

JustDucky
I Love the Now!
Posts: 1763
Joined: March 21, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Post by JustDucky »

I've always gotten a kick out of how Jimmy Buffettizes the covers he does. He hasn't changed 5 O'Clock at all live and Banana Republics was very close to the original version but he certainly put some muscle into Southern Cross and Brown Eyed Girl and etc...

I don't see what the confusion is whether it's studio or live - if Jimmy had no hand in writing the song, like 5 O'Clock or Trip Around The Sun - then it's a cover. It's very simple. How can anyone confuse that? And besides, he does have fun doing covers. I agree that he could stop doing BEGirl and do something else.

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Posts: 53938
Joined: May 30, 2004 3:12 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...
Location: Where payphones all are ringing
Contact:

Post by RinglingRingling »

JustDucky wrote:I've always gotten a kick out of how Jimmy Buffettizes the covers he does. He hasn't changed 5 O'Clock at all live and Banana Republics was very close to the original version but he certainly put some muscle into Southern Cross and Brown Eyed Girl and etc...

I don't see what the confusion is whether it's studio or live - if Jimmy had no hand in writing the song, like 5 O'Clock or Trip Around The Sun - then it's a cover. It's very simple. How can anyone confuse that? And besides, he does have fun doing covers. I agree that he could stop doing BEGirl and do something else.
so by the logic of "if the artist has no hand in writing a song, it's a cover", aren't most artists just cover artists?

I think a better definition is: if you were not part of the lead singing team on a vocal music release the first time around, it's a cover

Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Posts: 10648
Joined: September 22, 2004 12:16 am
Number of Concerts: 15
Location: Centennial, CO

Post by Quiet and Shy »

RinglingRingling wrote:
JustDucky wrote:I've always gotten a kick out of how Jimmy Buffettizes the covers he does. He hasn't changed 5 O'Clock at all live and Banana Republics was very close to the original version but he certainly put some muscle into Southern Cross and Brown Eyed Girl and etc...

I don't see what the confusion is whether it's studio or live - if Jimmy had no hand in writing the song, like 5 O'Clock or Trip Around The Sun - then it's a cover. It's very simple. How can anyone confuse that? And besides, he does have fun doing covers. I agree that he could stop doing BEGirl and do something else.
so by the logic of "if the artist has no hand in writing a song, it's a cover", aren't most artists just cover artists?


I think a better definition is: if you were not part of the lead singing team on a vocal music release the first time around, it's a cover
Yeah...that's closer to what I've always thought of re. covers. It's defined by who was the original recording artist, and has nothing to do with who actually wrote the song.

I think Jimmy does a lot of covers for many of the reasons mentioned (tributes, etc.), but also because he's as much a performer as he is a song writer or recording artist. So, he plays what he wants to perform and what he beileves the majority of his audience wants to see him perform.

Neat birthday present you got, Larry.
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Posts: 64356
Joined: April 24, 2001 8:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

I knew I had posted this once before, here's the list from the 3 CD set I have.

All The Ways I Want You - Bruce Cockburn
Another Saturday Night - Sam Cooke
Anything Anytime Anywhere - Bruce Cockburn
Back To The Island - Leon Russell
Ballad Of Spider John - Willis Alan Ramsey
Banana Republics - Steve Goodman
Biloxi - Jesse Winchester
Blue Guitar - Peter Mayer
Blue Telescope - John Hiatt
Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
California Promises - Steve Goodman
Carolina On My Mind - James Taylor
City Of New Orleans - Steve Goodman
Club Manhattan - Jesse Winchester
Dixie Chicken - Little Feat
Elvis Imitators - Steve Goodman
Gentleman Of Leisure - Jesse Winchester
Good Night Itene - Leadbelly
Great Heart - Johnny Clegg
Here Comes The Sun - The Beatles
I Still Miss Someone - Johnny Cash
If I Had A Boat - Lyle Lovett
In My Life - The Beatles
Jamaica Farewell - Harry Belafonte
Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry
Last Man Standing - Mac McAnally
Lawyers, Guns & Money - Warren Zevon
Lighthouse - James Taylor
Love Potion Number 9 - The Searchers
Mexico - James Taylor
Mr. Spaceman - The Byrds
No Woman No Cry - Bob Marley
Pacing The Cage - Bruce Cockburn
Paradise - John Prine
Please Come To Boston - Dave Loggins
RG's Blue Guitar - Scotch (featuring Roger Guth)
Sail On Sailor - The Beach Boys
Sailing To Philadelphia - Mark Knopfler (w/James Taylor)
Semi-True Stories - Mac McAnally
She Belongs To Me - Bob Dylan
She's Got You - Patsy Cline
Someone I used To Love - Bruce Cockburn
Southern Cross - Crosby, Stills & Nash
Sunny Afternoon - The Kinks
Surfin' U.S.A. - The Beach Boys
The Horizon Has Been Defeated - Jack Johnson
The Natives Are Restless - Don Tiki
The Tiki Bar Is Open - John Hiatt
The Wind Cries Mary - Jimi Hendrix
This Hotel Room - Steve Goodman
Time Loves A Hero - Little Feat
U.S.S. Zydecoldsmobile - Sonny Landreth
Uncle John's Band - The Grateful Dead
Viva Las Vegas - Elvis Presley
Waiting In Vain - Bob Marley
Where's The Party - Steve Goodman
Window On The World - John Hiatt
You Can't Always Get What You Want - The Rolling Stones
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

balcony girls
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 32352
Joined: January 31, 2005 1:40 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: in the balcony, silly !

Post by balcony girls »

. . pssst. . Larry . . ? ?

. .my birthday is coming up in a couple of months . .

:wink: :oops:
. . " and I finally disappear . . . . BUT NOT YET ! ! "

RAGTOP
Behind Door #3
Posts: 3841
Joined: May 10, 2001 8:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: BOSTON

Post by RAGTOP »

JustDucky wrote:I've always gotten a kick out of how Jimmy Buffettizes the covers he does. He hasn't changed 5 O'Clock at all live and Banana Republics was very close to the original version but he certainly put some muscle into Southern Cross and Brown Eyed Girl and etc...

I don't see what the confusion is whether it's studio or live - if Jimmy had no hand in writing the song, like 5 O'Clock or Trip Around The Sun - then it's a cover. It's very simple. How can anyone confuse that? And besides, he does have fun doing covers. I agree that he could stop doing BEGirl and do something else.
That would mean pretty much any pop artist today in the top 40 only do covers.

SMLCHNG
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 175575
Joined: December 6, 2001 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Post by SMLCHNG »

cover: a recording of a song that was first recorded or made popular by somebody else; "they made a cover of a Beatles' song"

wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

In pop music a cover version is a new rendition of a previously recorded song. Pop musicians may play covers as a tribute to the original performer or group, to win audiences who like to hear a familiar song, to increase their chance of success by using a proven hit or to gain credibility by its comparison with the original song. They may also do it simply because they enjoy playing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cover_song

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Posts: 53938
Joined: May 30, 2004 3:12 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...
Location: Where payphones all are ringing
Contact:

Post by RinglingRingling »

SMLCHNG wrote:cover: a recording of a song that was first recorded or made popular by somebody else; "they made a cover of a Beatles' song"

wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

In pop music a cover version is a new rendition of a previously recorded song. Pop musicians may play covers as a tribute to the original performer or group, to win audiences who like to hear a familiar song, to increase their chance of success by using a proven hit or to gain credibility by its comparison with the original song. They may also do it simply because they enjoy playing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cover_song
Thanks Mom. :)

PHREDDYPHISHSTICK
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Posts: 38
Joined: June 30, 2006 3:48 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Red Stick, La
Contact:

Post by PHREDDYPHISHSTICK »

I have always loved Buffett's covers, he does add a little flare to most of the covers, especially the popular ones. I heard Southern Cross on the radio the other day by CSN and now that I have heard Buffett's version, CSN sounds so bland. Just my opinion. At least he is still touring.

How about a new topic:
How many of the bands that Buffett covers are still selling out to 20-25k people at each show? If they are still even touring.

Let's just be happy that "he ain't broke, and he's not in rehab"
"People are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." - Abe Lincoln

TropicalTroubador
Hoot!
Posts: 2746
Joined: July 28, 2003 8:47 pm
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in front of me.
Location: By the San Francisco Bay, CA
Contact:

Post by TropicalTroubador »

JustDucky wrote:It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere IS a cover, since Jimmy had nothing to do with the writing of it, just as all the other songs he's covered (Spider John, Lovely Cruise, Stars On The Water, Steamer, I Don't Know And I Don't Care, Pacing The Cage , Apcolypso - er, is that how's it's spelled? etc...). That's what makes a cover song a cover song.

I did make a list once of all the covers he's done, including the two Marg. Cafe records and LTC and it was A LOT of covers. It was over 50. I think it's a bigger list than even the Stones!
I hate to disagree, but as a musician myself, I *do* happen to know a thing or three about the industry.

If you're the first artist to record it, regardless of who wrote it, it's not technically a "cover. A "cover" is a song that has *already been recorded* that someone is doing a new version of. You'd probably be amazed at how many of the songs out there aren't written by the people who perform them - at least half of what's recorded in Nashville right now, for example, including many of the songs made famous by Alan Jackson, Tim McGraw, Brad Paisley, etc.

If you don't believe me, pick up an issue of Billboard and turn to the top 100 pages. The writers of the songs are usually, but not always, part of the listing.

If you can find any music industry reference indicating that the first recording of a song not written by the artist is a "cover," I'd be interested in seeing it. I may not know a lot of people in the industry, but nobody I know in the industry uses the word that way.

Respectfully,

Loren
Living my life on Island Standard Time...
Island Standard Time - the new Trop Rock album from Loren Davidson - now available!

http://www.lorendavidson.com

Parrotthed
I need two more boat drinks
Posts: 298
Joined: April 23, 2002 8:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: S.N.O.F. (Slightly North of Fla.)

Post by Parrotthed »

As has just been said, a cover is a new version of a song already recorded. It's immaterial who wrote it. Elvis had a hand in writing only a couple of his songs (and even that is suspect). You wouldn't say that virtually everything Elvis ever did was a cover would you? Or Sinatra, who wrote nothing.
So, technically, "5 0'Clock Somewhere" is not a cover because Jimmy is on the original recording! 8)
"I heard I was in town...."

ragtopW
Last Man Standing
Posts: 39119
Joined: December 18, 2001 7:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: cover songs

Post by ragtopW »

doxadive wrote:is ther any other artist in the top 10 grossing tours who does more covers than jimmy? and besides the stones, who else has such a prolific collection of albums than jimmy in the top 10 grossing tours who does so many covers?
Uh Faith Hill??? Her big song.. is a cover.. ( She's a wild one)

JustDucky
I Love the Now!
Posts: 1763
Joined: March 21, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Post by JustDucky »

I was going by the simple fact that if you didn't write it you're covering it. It's not your song. Just because no one has recorded it on a record doesn't mean it's not a cover. And if you're the first major artist to record it doesn't mean it's not a cover. Popular assumption has created that. I've never read anywhere that if you didn't write it but you recorded it first that technically it's not a cover, that it had to be a hit or done by a hit artist for it to qualify as being a cover. That's a moot point. The original version is the written one, probably demoed on a 4-track or in some demo studio. Bob Dylan didn't write Seven Days and then tell Ronnie Wood 'Hey Woody you can have this song' meaning that it's Ronnie's song because on Ronnie's album it says the songwriter is Dylan. Dylan may not have recorded it yet and certainly hadn't released it yet so therefor Ronnie's is the original version and therefor it's not a cover? What kind of logic is that? That's the same logic as the 5 O'Clock cover not being a cover.

And then there's the issue of the Beatles and Stones covering blues artists and people saying they ripped them off when they actually credited them but when Led Zepp ripped off a few blues artists for their first and second albums and had to get sued by the artists nobody noticed. That's not a whole lotta love but Willie Dixon's estate sure got a whole lotta money.

I don't listen to top 40 or country radio because I know 102% of all of those artists can't write a fart yet alone a tune without someone doing it in some cubicle in Nashville and handing it in to some publishing company to find a major artist to put it out. And the production of - I'll watch CMT about twice a year to see who's big, because the top 20 videos seem to stay the same and just hearing the lame production of the tunes (they all sound the same, just a different singer) tells me that nothing has changed.

With the exception to most of the tunes on LTChill and 5 O'Clock, it seems that all previous covers Jimmy recorded and performed live were recorded by the writer that Jimmy heard.

I haven't researched any original writers/artists recordings that I'm not familiar with on LTChill yet. Someday I will.

And that's enough about covers. I'm going to listen to The Rolling Stones' Undercover now.

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Posts: 53938
Joined: May 30, 2004 3:12 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...
Location: Where payphones all are ringing
Contact:

Post by RinglingRingling »

JustDucky wrote:I was going by the simple fact that if you didn't write it you're covering it. It's not your song. Just because no one has recorded it on a record doesn't mean it's not a cover. And if you're the first major artist to record it doesn't mean it's not a cover. Popular assumption has created that. I've never read anywhere that if you didn't write it but you recorded it first that technically it's not a cover, that it had to be a hit or done by a hit artist for it to qualify as being a cover. That's a moot point. The original version is the written one, probably demoed on a 4-track or in some demo studio. Bob Dylan didn't write Seven Days and then tell Ronnie Wood 'Hey Woody you can have this song' meaning that it's Ronnie's song because on Ronnie's album it says the songwriter is Dylan. Dylan may not have recorded it yet and certainly hadn't released it yet so therefor Ronnie's is the original version and therefor it's not a cover? What kind of logic is that? That's the same logic as the 5 O'Clock cover not being a cover.

And then there's the issue of the Beatles and Stones covering blues artists and people saying they ripped them off when they actually credited them but when Led Zepp ripped off a few blues artists for their first and second albums and had to get sued by the artists nobody noticed. That's not a whole lotta love but Willie Dixon's estate sure got a whole lotta money.

I don't listen to top 40 or country radio because I know 102% of all of those artists can't write a fart yet alone a tune without someone doing it in some cubicle in Nashville and handing it in to some publishing company to find a major artist to put it out. And the production of - I'll watch CMT about twice a year to see who's big, because the top 20 videos seem to stay the same and just hearing the lame production of the tunes (they all sound the same, just a different singer) tells me that nothing has changed.

With the exception to most of the tunes on LTChill and 5 O'Clock, it seems that all previous covers Jimmy recorded and performed live were recorded by the writer that Jimmy heard.

I haven't researched any original writers/artists recordings that I'm not familiar with on LTChill yet. Someday I will.

And that's enough about covers. I'm going to listen to The Rolling Stones' Undercover now.
duuuude... just put down the Southern Comfort until after lunch. I think that until you do, you're going to be swimming against the tide with your logic on covers.

Indiana Jolly Mon
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Posts: 745
Joined: February 18, 2002 7:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 22
Favorite Boat Drink: Free and cold
Location: Don't know, and Ill be damned if im gonna ask for directions!

Post by Indiana Jolly Mon »

JustDucky wrote:I was going by the simple fact that if you didn't write it you're covering it. It's not your song. Just because no one has recorded it on a record doesn't mean it's not a cover. And if you're the first major artist to record it doesn't mean it's not a cover. Popular assumption has created that. I've never read anywhere that if you didn't write it but you recorded it first that technically it's not a cover, that it had to be a hit or done by a hit artist for it to qualify as being a cover. That's a moot point. The original version is the written one, probably demoed on a 4-track or in some demo studio. Bob Dylan didn't write Seven Days and then tell Ronnie Wood 'Hey Woody you can have this song' meaning that it's Ronnie's song because on Ronnie's album it says the songwriter is Dylan. Dylan may not have recorded it yet and certainly hadn't released it yet so therefor Ronnie's is the original version and therefor it's not a cover? What kind of logic is that? That's the same logic as the 5 O'Clock cover not being a cover.

And then there's the issue of the Beatles and Stones covering blues artists and people saying they ripped them off when they actually credited them but when Led Zepp ripped off a few blues artists for their first and second albums and had to get sued by the artists nobody noticed. That's not a whole lotta love but Willie Dixon's estate sure got a whole lotta money.

I don't listen to top 40 or country radio because I know 102% of all of those artists can't write a fart yet alone a tune without someone doing it in some cubicle in Nashville and handing it in to some publishing company to find a major artist to put it out. And the production of - I'll watch CMT about twice a year to see who's big, because the top 20 videos seem to stay the same and just hearing the lame production of the tunes (they all sound the same, just a different singer) tells me that nothing has changed.

With the exception to most of the tunes on LTChill and 5 O'Clock, it seems that all previous covers Jimmy recorded and performed live were recorded by the writer that Jimmy heard.

I haven't researched any original writers/artists recordings that I'm not familiar with on LTChill yet. Someday I will.

And that's enough about covers. I'm going to listen to The Rolling Stones' Undercover now.

I do not mean to be an A$$bag here, but who cares what the technical terminolgy for "cover song" is. Elvis didnt give a damn and that is good enough for me. 8)
M.K. "You should never use any of the 13 bad words!"
S.T. "I thought there were only 7 bad words?"
M.K. "Not if you're a sailor."

Cubbie Bear
On a Salty Piece of Land
Posts: 13720
Joined: October 14, 2003 1:31 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate/40
Number of Concerts: 31
Location: Sooner or later, everyone goes to the zoo.

Post by Cubbie Bear »

Wonder if it is very windy way up there on that pedestal :roll:
"Boat drinks, waitress we........nevermind"
Image

He ain't wrong he's just different
but his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

TropicalTroubador
Hoot!
Posts: 2746
Joined: July 28, 2003 8:47 pm
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in front of me.
Location: By the San Francisco Bay, CA
Contact:

Post by TropicalTroubador »

JustDucky wrote:I was going by the simple fact that if you didn't write it you're covering it.
I am *very* curious now...what sources can you cite for your opinion being "fact?" Are you in the music business? Did you help coin the term "cover song," and if so, can you document first usage? Or are you just listening to the voices in your own head?

"The sun came up in northern California this morning" is a fact. "The atomic weight of a proton is one" is a fact. I fail to see any supporting evidence for your claim that "a cover song is what you say it is" is a "fact" in a similar way.

I mean...ultimately, you can call things whatever you want to call them. It's a free country. But if you're the only person to use a word in a particular way, don't be surprised if very few people either understand you or agree with you.

Loren
Living my life on Island Standard Time...
Island Standard Time - the new Trop Rock album from Loren Davidson - now available!

http://www.lorendavidson.com

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Posts: 64356
Joined: April 24, 2001 8:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

My take on the whole "cover song" thing -
If Mac McAnally writes a song that he intends to be recorded by Jimmy Buffett (or anyone else), but not by himself, then in my mind that isn't a cover song. If Mac records a song first and then JB (or anyone else) thinks, damn, that's a good song and I'm going to record it, then it's a cover song.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

Post Reply