cover songs

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Cubbie Bear
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate/40
Number of Concerts: 31

Post by Cubbie Bear »

I think the only "cover" song I care about is when I am wrestlin' under the covers with Mrs Bear and the music machine is on
"Boat drinks, waitress we........nevermind"

He ain't wrong he's just different
but his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

Cubbie Bear wrote:I think the only "cover" song I care about is when I am wrestlin' under the covers with Mrs Bear and the music machine is on
I heard the last time you tried your best move, St. Norma of the Field smote you hip and thigh... :D

Jodibug
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Jodibug »

I think we all need popcorn . . . :D

Cubbie Bear
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate/40
Number of Concerts: 31

Post by Cubbie Bear »

Jodibug wrote:I think we all need popcorn . . . :D
I heard that somewhere :lol:
"Boat drinks, waitress we........nevermind"

He ain't wrong he's just different
but his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

TropicalTroubador
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in front of me.

Post by TropicalTroubador »

LIPH wrote:My take on the whole "cover song" thing -
If Mac McAnally writes a song that he intends to be recorded by Jimmy Buffett (or anyone else), but not by himself, then in my mind that isn't a cover song. If Mac records a song first and then JB (or anyone else) thinks, damn, that's a good song and I'm going to record it, then it's a cover song.
Yup, that's pretty much right.

In Nashville especially, many of the songs you hear are written by "outside writers," i.e. people who don't perform, but who write songs for other people. This as opposed to "writer artists," like Mac and like Jimmy.

Some of us intrepid souls have their fingers in both pies. I'm a writer-artist, but I also pitch some of my stuff to folks in Nashville. So it's theoretically possible that someone else might record a song of mine before I do, at which point I'm not sure you could call *either* version a "cover." But in that case, who really cares? :)

Loren
Last edited by TropicalTroubador on August 24, 2006 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Living my life on Island Standard Time...
Island Standard Time - the new Trop Rock album from Loren Davidson - now available!

http://www.lorendavidson.com

JustDucky
I Love the Now!

Post by JustDucky »

Alright alright alright. Yeah yeah yeah fact fact facts. Whatever. Riled some up though har har.

Phuck it. Songs Jimmy Didn't Write. How's that? EITHER way, covers and or SJDW it would still make quite a compilation.

By the way, I am in the music business but as a writer and perfomer (or musician, possibly even an entertainer - all those wonderful worthless terms - does it really matter? Musician is what I usually tell people) rather than a songwriter in Nashville. In New Orleans. Around the Gulf Coast. I've been to Nashville a couple of times, usually when it's been too damn cold, to perform, and to Franklin to record, also when it was too damn cold.

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

LIPH wrote:My take on the whole "cover song" thing -
If Mac McAnally writes a song that he intends to be recorded by Jimmy Buffett (or anyone else), but not by himself, then in my mind that isn't a cover song.
For instance, When the Coast is Clear or Coast of Carolina (Yes, I know... they're co-writes with JB, but bear with me.... Either way, not a cover, IMHO...)
LIPH wrote:If Mac records a song first and then JB (or anyone else) thinks, damn, that's a good song and I'm going to record it, then it's a cover song.
For instance, It's My Job (JB) or Back Where I Come From (Kenny Chesney). Yep, both recorded earlier by Mac and technically, by this definition, covered by JB and KC.

How about this one: Semi-True Stories... Mac wrote it and Jimmy recorded it on Beach House on the Moon. Subsequently, Mac recorded it on his Semi-True Stories album. Who is covering whom? :o

My head is now spinning and I need more coffee..... :o :P

And where's Jodi? We may need more popcorn.... :D
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally