Landshark only FL?

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 15

Post by Quiet and Shy »

PA PAR8 HED wrote:Here is a little more info on the LSL and a competing Miller product. It comes from Ad Age. Funny, they mention Jimmy a few times but they spell Buffett with one T throughout.

http://adage.com/article?article_id=114594
Good article; thanks for posting. I agree with them that A-B has made some unusual choices with their approach on this so far....
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far

SharkOnLand
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SharkOnLand »

ColdWaterConch wrote:
Quiet and Shy wrote:
LIPH wrote:
Land Shark Lager is a refreshing, drinkable "island" lager brewed by Margaritaville Brewing Co., an Anheuser-Busch affiliate.
Whoever wrote that should be fired. They're brewing a beer that's drinkable? Really? I thought that was the point of buying beer. :roll:
I think that's intended to be a direct slam at their competitor.... basically implying Corona is NOT drinkable

A-B has never been a lightweight marketer....
You do understand, don't you, that Corona is owned by Grupo Modelo, which is 52% owned by A-B.....
Why get 52% of the profits, if you can have 100%?
Image Image

sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

I heard two different Landshark Lager ads on the radio today here in Jacksonville.
They are similar to the Margaritaville Tequila commercial from a few years back and the announcer kinda sounds like the same guy.
One had an islandesque instrumental of "It's Five o' Clock Somewhere" and the other had a karaoke-like instrumental of "Margaritaville" in the background.

I remember the line "pop a top and let the fin begin"

btw, bought my second six pack today!
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"

AlbatrossFlyer
Schoolboy heart & a license to fly

Re: Landshark only FL?

Post by AlbatrossFlyer »

gb wrote:Is Landshark only going to be available in FL and @ Margaritaville Cafes?
nope

I'd feel bad for you, but I have no soul.....

If you can't do it with brains, you won't do it with hours - Kelly Johnson

Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by Quiet and Shy »

SharkOnLand wrote:
ColdWaterConch wrote:
Quiet and Shy wrote:
LIPH wrote:
Land Shark Lager is a refreshing, drinkable "island" lager brewed by Margaritaville Brewing Co., an Anheuser-Busch affiliate.
Whoever wrote that should be fired. They're brewing a beer that's drinkable? Really? I thought that was the point of buying beer. :roll:
I think that's intended to be a direct slam at their competitor.... basically implying Corona is NOT drinkable

A-B has never been a lightweight marketer....
You do understand, don't you, that Corona is owned by Grupo Modelo, which is 52% owned by A-B.....
Why get 52% of the profits, if you can have 100%?
Why spend a ton of money to create a brand from scratch with potentially limited distribution for 100% of the profits when you can spend a modest amount of money for 49% (actual percentage) of the profits and maintain a good relationship with an important business partner for your international business (e.g. China). I realize it's about A-B trying to directly grow their business, but it strikes me as a very risky business move on their part.

Oh yeah...another question...has anyone seen a LandShark Lager t-shirt yet? Are they selling them at the Margaritaville Cafes?
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far

Longboardn' ASEL&S
I Love the Now!

Post by Longboardn' ASEL&S »

I can't remember a novelty or theme beer that has made it.
Billie beer sucked, and even being the President's brother did'nt help. Zima was a joke, and died along with the rest of the clear fad products.
The recent success of Blue Moon was no fluke, Belgian wheat beers always had their supporters, and now that the college kids have moved up to craft brews, it was only natural that a Belgian wheat would make it big.
Corona existed a long time as the cheap local beer for Mexicans and young American surfers that could afford nothing else. How Americans became willing to drink poor quality suds by disguising it with lime just to be part of an "image" is beyond me.
I hope Landshark tastes good for a lager, but if you have to pay a premium price for a mediocre brew, I doubt that there will be enough Parrothead wannabes to make it last.
The Corona thing just happened, it was'nt planned. (in the beginning)
The other successes in beer in recent times have been by either watering it down (Lite, Bud Light, etc.), false carb claims (not counting so-called "good carbs") to cash in on the Atkins craze, etc.
I almost think there will be a backlash against Jimmy's licensed product.
Many folks just might feel stupid drinking it.
Even Sir Richard Branson failed in his attempt to capture a mere 1% of the Cola market with his Virgin brand.
I hope I'm wrong
Leo

dawgfan
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 52

Post by dawgfan »

Longboardn' ASEL&S wrote:I can't remember a novelty or theme beer that has made it.
Billie beer sucked, and even being the President's brother did'nt help. Zima was a joke, and died along with the rest of the clear fad products.
The recent success of Blue Moon was no fluke, Belgian wheat beers always had their supporters, and now that the college kids have moved up to craft brews, it was only natural that a Belgian wheat would make it big.
Corona existed a long time as the cheap local beer for Mexicans and young American surfers that could afford nothing else. How Americans became willing to drink poor quality suds by disguising it with lime just to be part of an "image" is beyond me.
I hope Landshark tastes good for a lager, but if you have to pay a premium price for a mediocre brew, I doubt that there will be enough Parrothead wannabes to make it last.
The other successes in beer in recent times have been by either watering it down (Lite, Bud Light, etc.), false carb claims (not counting so-called "good carbs") to cash in on the Atkins craze, etc.
Even Sir Richard Branson failed in his attempt to capture a mere 1% of the Cola market with his Virgin brand.
I hope I'm wrong
Leo
Light beers are not "watered down" they are brewed with rice instead of wheat to make them not so heavy.

I just received a couple of six packs of Landshark lager from a friends that were coming back from FLA. It is not the greatest beer in the world but for a good tasting everyday drink I like it. Anyone who knows me knows how I feel about Corona,it is the worst beer ever produced IMHO,but I enjoy Budweiser too sorry RR :D A-B are very smart as is Mr. Buffett I am sure Landshark Lager will be a moderate success like Margaritaville Tequila is When I want a quality tequila I don't drink it but for margaritas it is great.
Just keep drinking something that is what is important. :lol: :wink:

Longboardn' ASEL&S
I Love the Now!

"dawgfan" wrote:
"Light beers are not "watered down" they are brewed with rice instead of wheat to make them not so heavy."

The reason they are brewed with rice instead of BARLEY is to save money, not to reduce "heaviness". Many cheaper to make American lagers use cheaper rice in their regular calorie and % alcohol brews as well.
Wheat beer is a whole different animal, I have yet to see a true "light" (reduced calorie/reduced alcohol) wheat beer.
Germany always had strict rules that rice could not be used at all in beer brewing. I remember there was alot of controversy going on with the European standards recently, as with the cheese and other products.
Don't know how it turned out with the rice rule though.
We'll be in Kissimmee, Cocoa Beach, and Islamorada during President's week. Where is my best bet for finding LSL by the 12pack or case to bring home? We're driving, might as well bring back some to introduce it to the gang here in MI
Leo

z-man
Here We Are

Post by z-man »

Longboardn' ASEL&S wrote:We'll be in Kissimmee, Cocoa Beach, and Islamorada during President's week. Where is my best bet for finding LSL by the 12pack or case to bring home? We're driving, might as well bring back some to introduce it to the gang here in MI
Leo
It is available just about anywhere beer is sold.
Convenience stores may not stock it, but nearly all liquor stores and larger grocery stores now carry Landshark around here.
Living my life...
One Tropical Day at a Time!

Longboardn' ASEL&S
I Love the Now!

Thanks,
I'll be sure to post the results of the Detroit taste test after we return.
Leo

JustDucky
I Love the Now!

Post by JustDucky »

Light beer - Abita put out Abita Light. I tasted it. After spitting it out I threw the rest of the bottle I opened as well as the other 5 beers straight in the dumpster. It's horrible. It takes up more shelf space than any of the other Abita beers. I don't know anyone that buys or drinks it. It's the biggest mistake they've ever made.

It's bad enough that their Purple Haze is horrible as well as the Turbo Dog. Amber, Golden, Mardi Gras Bock, x-mas Ale and Fall Fest - the last two especially, are excellent, and the rest are pretty damn good. The Amber is excellent and Golden is really good especially in the summer.

The problem with the Light is it's not 'watered down' - it just tastes horrible. I'd rather drink Mississippi River water. All the other light beers do have a 'watered down' taste. It's just goofy tasting water. Bud Light, Miller Lite, etc...

Drink the real deal is my thought. Or the heavyies - Bud heavy, Miller heavy, etc...ha ha ha ha. And if you be gettin' a beer belly drink less of the real deal. I see people drink tons of light beer and get bigger bellies. Such a strange way of thinking I guess.

I await Landshark to drink. When it happens I'll chime in about how good or bad or whatever it is. I guess if it sells enough they'll put out a Landshark Lite, which maybe they should just call Mermaid In The Light.

Longboardn' ASEL&S
I Love the Now!

People get used to a certain taste. Some Bud Light drinkers won't touch Miller lite and vice versa, while most real beer mavens lump all those light beers in one catagory, all equally watery tasting.
There is a microbrew pub near my house that has happy hour every weekday, 4:00 - 6:00.
During those hours, all brewed on premises PINTS are $2.00. At least 1/4 of the patrons during happy hour that have just come from a factory or construction site job order a 12 oz. bottle of Bud for $3.75. Go figure.
Remember, Corona, being an import, commands a premium price, despite it's low production cost.
People drink 6 Lites for the calories of 4 regulars, but pay dearly for the privelage. Light beers sell more because people drink more. Brilliant marketing! "Less filling", not so that you won't feel full, but instead so that you can drink more! Maybe Landshark will create it's own market, but taste may not be such a big factor.
Leo

seminolegrl06
I gotta go where it's warm
Favorite Buffett Song: Wino I Know
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by seminolegrl06 »

I saw it at publix in orlando when i was home last weekend. but I didn't see 12 packs or cases of it.

It was cheaper than corona. I think corona was like 7.99 and LSL was 7.59 or maybe it was 6.99 either way, it was a good 50 cents cheaper a 6 pack.

I am sure we will be drinking a ton of it this weekend tailgatin before the show!

GEED181
I need two more boat drinks

Post by GEED181 »

O.K kiddies...you young 'uns are putting WAY too much thought into this....Put on APLA40, crank it WAY up, pop a few ice cold Land Sharks and enjoy...relish in the fact that you are funding Jimmy's retirement. Seriously, it really is a decent beer..but then I like lime in my Corona. It's all make believe anyway!

sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

Longboardn' ASEL&S wrote:I can't remember a novelty or theme beer that has made it.
I hope I'm wrong
Leo
you may be right, after all, Jimmy's venture into Tequila failed miserably :wink: :lol:

btw I heard another Landshark Lager ad on the radio today. That's three different ones that I've heard so far
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"

Longboardn' ASEL&S
I Love the Now!

GEED181 wrote:O.K kiddies...you young 'uns are putting WAY too much thought into this....Put on APLA40, crank it WAY up, pop a few ice cold Land Sharks and enjoy...relish in the fact that you are funding Jimmy's retirement. Seriously, it really is a decent beer..but then I like lime in my Corona. It's all make believe anyway!
Young 'uns? APLA40?
Why, when I re-read APLA50, I thought back about the good 'ole days.
Yeah, Jimmy's still got me beat age-wise, but I still can't imagine him retired. I fully expect to see him in concert the summer of my 80'th birthday. Let's see, he'll be 86, I'll have my hydrogen powered blender mixing up the frozen stuff for my wife, while I kick back with a couple of cold ones-possibly Landsharks. Hope they won't need a lime.
I'll make sure my walker has a flip-flop on each leg.
Leo

NanaBabe
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Changing Channels/Love and Luck
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes, please. May I have another?

Post by NanaBabe »

If nothing else, the six-pack carriers and the case they come in LOOK cool and will add visual interest to any tiki bar decor ;)
Some will go and some will stay. It doesn't matter anyway ......

JustDucky
I Love the Now!

Post by JustDucky »

Ha ha - I'll crank up Migration instead and throw my empty Abita bottles in the trash with a loud breaking of glass crash and love it!

MikeJW
I have found me a home

Post by MikeJW »

I had Landshark all weekend at the Elbo Room in Ft. Lauderdale, I put a lime in it and I thought it def tasted better than Corona.

I'll buy it over Corona when it gets to Chicago.

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

Longboardn' ASEL&S wrote:People get used to a certain taste. Some Bud Light drinkers won't touch Miller lite and vice versa, while most real beer mavens lump all those light beers in one catagory, all equally watery tasting.
There is a microbrew pub near my house that has happy hour every weekday, 4:00 - 6:00.
During those hours, all brewed on premises PINTS are $2.00. At least 1/4 of the patrons during happy hour that have just come from a factory or construction site job order a 12 oz. bottle of Bud for $3.75. Go figure.
Remember, Corona, being an import, commands a premium price, despite it's low production cost.
People drink 6 Lites for the calories of 4 regulars, but pay dearly for the privelage. Light beers sell more because people drink more. Brilliant marketing! "Less filling", not so that you won't feel full, but instead so that you can drink more! Maybe Landshark will create it's own market, but taste may not be such a big factor.
Leo
how expensive is it for them to get 6 guys from the Sauza plant tasting room to whiz into a vat.... :D