I see Bubba is soaking us again on ticket prices.

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana
Number of Concerts: 56

Post by aeroparrot »

Well, I've seen the complaints about prices every year. If you don't want to pay the prices or can't afford it, you can always listen to the concert on radiomargaritaville.
If you want an experience, go to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Life is short, live long!!

I'd rather be a wiseass than a dumbass.

Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 15

Post by Quiet and Shy »

parrothead216 wrote:
Migration Michelle wrote:
parrothead216 wrote:
If there are people who will to pay the prices, Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band should make the money. They are the ones providing us with all the entertainment.
This statement I don't understand, Jimmy and the band do get the money that they charge for a preformance. How does charging more money, get them more then what they charge?
What I meant was that rather than ticket brokers/scalpers make the money on the higher priced tickets, Jimmy and the Band should make the money. If the prices were lower, more people would buy them and scalp them to Parrotheads who could afford more expensive tickets.
Make sense?

Premium tickets on StubHub, GreatSeats, etc. are going for $1000 per ticket. The brokers are the ones with the good seats and are the ones making the extra bucks.
Who do you think is getting those tickets to the brokers? I had a broker tell me he could put me in the same 2 seats for every show Jimmy did one year. He wasn't standing in line and by chance getting the same seats. He was buying those tickets BEFORE they went on sale to the public!

Yep, someone inside was selling tickets!

Surprised? don't be.

So what your saying is Jimmy and the band, because they have the front row seats should sell them for more and make more money off of them? Maybe like 1000 a seat up front in the pit?

Does the term scalper come to mind? :o :o
I agree and have previously posted the same thing as Michelle. I believe the ones providing the value should get the $$s. If the market price is $500 and I can get that ticket from the original seller (Ticketmaster), I'd rather that money go to JB and the CRB than to a scalper. Sure I'd rather pay less, but if that's the going price why should a scalper make so much money when they're basically getting in the way just to make money?

Scalpers add value when they match a buyer and seller who otherwise couldn't have hooked up (e.g. a week before a Gillette show I find out I'll be in Boston and want a ticket), but otherwise, they just interfere with the market...because they can.

In another thread, there was discussion about season and "suite" VIP ticket holder and venue sponsor tickets being those that frequently end up in scalpers' hands...I don't know how much control JB might have via venue contracts (I'd expect he has as much control as any act), but I can't imagine he doesn't control access to front row seats.
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far
finz42
I need two more boat drinks
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by finz42 »

Has the dead horse been beaten enough yet?
Travis McGee
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: "Here We Are"
Number of Concerts: 108
Favorite Boat Drink: puilly-fuisse to round out the night

Post by Travis McGee »

As Bob Knight would say "Stop beating the horse, it's dead."
Longboardn' ASEL&S
I Love the Now!

Post by Longboardn' ASEL&S »

I would call you a sadistic equine necrophiliac, but that'd be beating a dead horse.
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

finz42 wrote:Has the dead horse been beaten enough yet?
it's glue already yet....
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 15

Post by Quiet and Shy »

I think it's an annual right of passage around here...

The groundhog pops out of his hole, Jimmy announces some tour dates and ticket prices, people complain about missing tour stops and ticket prices, and then it's Spring. :wink: :lol:
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

Quiet and Shy wrote:

The groundhog pops out of his hole, Jimmy announces some tour dates and ticket prices, people complain about missing tour stops and ticket prices, and then it's Spring. :wink: :lol:
I bet they p*ssed and moaned when prices went over $20 for the good seats.... :lol: :lol:
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
Crazy Navy Flyer
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 100
Favorite Boat Drink: rum

Post by Crazy Navy Flyer »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
Quiet and Shy wrote:

I bet they p*ssed and moaned when prices went over $20 for the good seats.... :lol: :lol:
I know I did! :lol: :lol:
Back to livin' Floridays
surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Post by surfpirate »

Quiet and Shy wrote:

:D :D :D It's my favorite time of the year. I love the smell of whine in the morning. :D :D :D
There is more entertainment reading value per post this time of year than any other time.
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |
Migration Michelle
Behind Door #3

Post by Migration Michelle »

I think I'm just going to sit here and be quiet...then I won't get yelled at!!

Plus, I haven't had enough LandShark today to make a great statement. :pirate:
parrothead216
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Come Monday

Post by parrothead216 »

Quiet and Shy wrote:
parrothead216 wrote:
parrothead216 wrote:
If there are people who will to pay the prices, Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band should make the money. They are the ones providing us with all the entertainment.
This statement I don't understand, Jimmy and the band do get the money that they charge for a preformance. How does charging more money, get them more then what they charge?
What I meant was that rather than ticket brokers/scalpers make the money on the higher priced tickets, Jimmy and the Band should make the money. If the prices were lower, more people would buy them and scalp them to Parrotheads who could afford more expensive tickets.
Make sense?

Premium tickets on StubHub, GreatSeats, etc. are going for $1000 per ticket. The brokers are the ones with the good seats and are the ones making the extra bucks.
Who do you think is getting those tickets to the brokers? I had a broker tell me he could put me in the same 2 seats for every show Jimmy did one year. He wasn't standing in line and by chance getting the same seats. He was buying those tickets BEFORE they went on sale to the public!

Yep, someone inside was selling tickets!

Surprised? don't be.

So what your saying is Jimmy and the band, because they have the front row seats should sell them for more and make more money off of them? Maybe like 1000 a seat up front in the pit?

Does the term scalper come to mind? :o :o
I agree and have previously posted the same thing as Michelle. I believe the ones providing the value should get the $$s. If the market price is $500 and I can get that ticket from the original seller (Ticketmaster), I'd rather that money go to JB and the CRB than to a scalper. Sure I'd rather pay less, but if that's the going price why should a scalper make so much money when they're basically getting in the way just to make money?

Scalpers add value when they match a buyer and seller who otherwise couldn't have hooked up (e.g. a week before a Gillette show I find out I'll be in Boston and want a ticket), but otherwise, they just interfere with the market...because they can.

In another thread, there was discussion about season and "suite" VIP ticket holder and venue sponsor tickets being those that frequently end up in scalpers' hands...I don't know how much control JB might have via venue contracts (I'd expect he has as much control as any act), but I can't imagine he doesn't control access to front row seats.
First of all, we aren't going to any concerts this year because of our current circumstances.

Second of all, I don't think Jimmy's top prices are too high! They are the price of admission. When we were able to go, we always paid more then face for tickets. We also, saw the show from the first 10 rows, usually!

Alison, Jimmy sets his price for a performance and that is what he gets. Even if they tiered the price of the tickets, Jimmy would still get the price he charges for a show!

He sets his price to cover his expenses(food, lodging, transportation, lodging for the band, a per diem for the band) and make some money.

The fact that all of the pavillion seats are price the same is because of several reasons.

First, we have a flawed system. If the box office was selling the tickets they could tier the prices of the tickets to specific sections and sell them accordingly. Then you could go to the box office a request a seat in the pit and pay 500.00 for them!

That also, would stop you in Indy, from getting a ticket to and Orlando concert, unless you were in Orlando, when the show went on sale!

But the system, (using ticketmaster) can not handle specific request for tiered pricing and process tickets so fast that a show can sell out in a few minutes.

Especially, because the summer venues, have such a limited amount of actual seating. 5 or 6 thousand seats being processed through Ticketmaster's 6500 US outlets and the internet.

As you can see, it would be a logistical nightmare to price seating in tiered pricing. But a seat in the first 10 rows is worth more then the last row in the pavillion!

Since Ticketmaster is NOT required to release the actual number of tickets that were available when the show goes on sale, it could be half or less them the actual number of available seats.

Now we aren't speaking about General Admission lawn seating. They probably all go on sale!

From my imformation, Jimmy requires that the front row be sold, but not necessarily, to the public or when the show first goes on sale.

Rows 2-6 usually are reserved for VIP's, Season ticket holders. private clubs that the venue has for tickets, etc etc etc but NOT the center section!
Those tickets are often pre-sold to people with "connections" and for MORE then face!

Now the question is , who is selling them? If it is the venue, that is more dollars in their pocket, if it is Jimmy's people, then that is more dollars going into Jimmy's pocket! So if you believe Jimmy should get the extra money, he probably is!

Is the thought that Jimmy( not literally Jimmy but his management people or who ever) might be selling (Scalping) his tickets surprising. It isn't to me! Some brokers get too many great seats to be just getting lucky in the TM Lottery!

I don't know if you ever check for tickets through places like StubHub and the like, but all brokers are accessing From same the ticket pool for the most part. But someone is getting the great seats and it usually is one broker who has the connection.

The rest of the section 201 row E types of tickets are people who see $$$ signs in the ability to get a few tickets and sell them off on ebay or to a broker. Especailly because Jimmy's show is a hot ticket and his Phans so fanatical! Maybe they know the local AB distributor or they are offered presale tickets because the venue have their supporters too.

As to your statement about broker, I have stood in line for tickets, became a supporter and seasons ticket holder, of the Cleveland Orchestra, gone to TM just like everyone else, but you can't buy what isn't for sale!

Brokers serve a purpose, whether you like it or not!

If you are the CEO of ABC, do you think you' re standing in line for tickets to see Jimmy. NO! you either know someone who can get you tickets to see him, (Many times for free) or you have your assistant call your broker and they get you tickets and you are there! Problem solved!

They also, perform a service for someone like me, who is too old to sit on the lawn, too tired to campout to try to get good seats, and tired of all the idiots who think that going to see Jimmy is a excuse to get blown away drunk and puke all over me!

We learned that a seats down front insulates you from maybe 90% of the idiots at Jimmy's shows! Many of those people are REALLY there to see the show!

So brokers don't interfer with anything! If you don't choose to use them, you wouldn't be able to buy the seats they sell anyway! They don't buy them from TM, they buy them from people looking to make a buck by selling them and other sources!

The only control Jimmy has in controling the brokers is to demand all his tickets go on sale to the public! That isn't going to happen! With corporate sponsers and VIP's and all it isn't going to happen. They are the people who guarantee his tour is successful!

And unfortunately, he probably doesn't really care.

Remember one thing, Jimmy has NOT received the industry recognition that he so richly deserves! It has to be one hell of a "hoot" for Jimmy to be the #1 requested ticket of the year, for all his show to sell out, for all his recordings to ship gold and yes to even make all that money and have all that success, when the peers and his industry don't honor him! Jimmy does have an ego! :wink:

That has been changing lately, but in my opinion a little too late!

Don't worry about Jimmy getting more money, Jimmy gets plenty!

Finally, what this all comes down to is people who can afford to go and people who can't!

That is really what you are hearing here and as one who can't go I certainly can understand peoples frustrations. If you can't understand that, then get down on your knees and thank God that your life is going so well!

Does the phrase, "But by the grace of God come to mind!

If our circumstances when different, Judy and I would be the first one in line or on the phone to our broker, in a heartbeat!

For many the $$$$'s spent are a lot, but when your at a show of Jimmy's the value you get for dollars spent is enormous! We only wish that we can be there again soon!

Sorry this was so long!
Last edited by parrothead216 on March 4, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BUFFETTING: The act of leaving reality and going off to see Jimmy Buffett!

Mr. Webster, we have a NEW definition!
JustDucky
I Love the Now!

Post by JustDucky »

I drive from NO to Mobile and beyond often. I use less gas then I do driving around town. In one week I'll go through roughly $80 in gas in the city but about $50 round trip from NO to Mobile and back.

So yeah, I was wrong about riding the bike. It should have been quite a few more days. But if you tally in parking fees and loads of other gluttonistic American glazed sleeze it all adds up. Maybe.

Going to a Buffett show is a luxury. Hanging out with my wife and daughter by the lake could never be replaced by a Buffett (or any other) show. BUT if JB does ever come to NO again and I'm around I'd probably buy a ticket if I could and go see him.

And if I couldn't, the only complaining there would be is I didn't get to early enough and damn all those SJPTD parrot heads.

"A TRUE parrot head" - would someone please do some kind of poll or post on what the over-used and abused meaning of a true parrot head is? - would be happy to not be able to get a ticket so someone else has the chance to see JB live.

Then again, a JB fan is glad he's got a new record out and is still touring. Seeing him live is the icing on the cake etc....

The horse is dead.
Sidew13
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Breath in, breath out, move on
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Something with coconut rum

Post by Sidew13 »

Trying to Take Another Road

Image Image
Sidew13
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Breath in, breath out, move on
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Something with coconut rum

Post by Sidew13 »

Trying to Take Another Road

Image Image
Caribbean Soul Man
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Reggae Accident
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: 10 Cane Rum on ice

Post by Caribbean Soul Man »

(Pastor) - "May the weather be with you"

(Congregation) - "And also with you"

(All) - "Amen"
:pirate:
you can't lay on the beach and drink rum all day if you don't start in the morning 8)

...I'm just tryin' to get by, being quiet and shy, in this world full of pushin' and shove...
moeron
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Boat Drinks.
Number of Concerts: 26
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita's with good Tequila

Post by moeron »

The next thread is : Why are scalpers charging us sooooo much to see Jimmy? I think the prices are high. But every year I am on line vying to score tickets to see Jimmy. Why? It's fun to see Jimmy it's fun to tailgate, it's fun to see 15,000 phans doing "fins to the left" And dammit it's something that this old man thinks is okay to do. I'm not drunk, I get to see phans from around the counrty if not around the world. We meet phans who like us act out because it's a good way to blow off steam. Nobody get hurt, well that much. Sure we see some punks, but thats life. As long as I have my health, I will "payup" to see Jimmy. Life is too short to not enjoy. Remember nobody is getting out alive anyway.
I'd rather die while I'm Living, Than live while I'm dead!
ImageImage
flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 53
Favorite Boat Drink: Z-Man's MANGO THINGIES!!!!!
Location: I have been promoted from John Frinzi's stalker to ROADIE!!!! :)

Post by flipflopgirl »

Sidew13 wrote:Image
:o :o :o :o :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats." Mark Twain
surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Post by surfpirate »

parrothead216 wrote:But the system, (using ticketmaster) can not handle specific request for tiered pricing and process tickets so fast that a show can sell out in a few minutes.

Especially, because the summer venues, have such a limited amount of actual seating. 5 or 6 thousand seats being processed through Ticketmaster's 6500 US outlets and the internet.

From my imformation, Jimmy requires that the front row be sold, but not necessarily, to the public or when the show first goes on sale.

Rows 2-6 usually are reserved for VIP's, Season ticket holders. private clubs that the venue has for tickets, etc etc etc but NOT the center section!
Those tickets are often pre-sold to people with "connections" and for MORE then face!
There is a lot in your post, which I agreed with more than less. Except for a couple of statements above.

I don't know how many total TicketMaster outlet's there are but I'll use your number of 6500. Sales are regionalized, so only TicketMaster outlets in the region of the show are processing ticket sales, e.g. Chigago area TM locations cannot sell tickets to the Pittsburgh shows and vice-versa.

The statement about the front rows and rows 2-6 is incorrect. I have obtained 1st, 2nd and 3rd row center section at point of first sale from ticket master outlets. I have done this at more than one venue and as recently as last year with 2nd row center. I do agree that many of these seats are set aside for VIP's, Season ticket holders and private clubs but clearly not all of them. I can only speak from personal experience at 3 venues but I believe there are tickets available in those front row center and rows 2-6 center at other venues as well. Perhaps not as many as we would like to be available to the general public but they are available.
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |
Bwana Paul
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 200

LOL.

Post by Bwana Paul »

Do what I do...listen on Radio Marg. It's free.