My Advice to the Moderators

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

alphabits
God's Own Drunk
Number of Concerts: 8

Post by alphabits »

PJ wrote:
alphabits wrote:Gratuitous smiley break ...... 8)

Perhaps the manner of submission should be changed.
Rather than a post showing up immediately after the "Submit" button is pushed, it would instead go to a hold area. Items in the hold area would be reviewed by an editorial board who would evaluate it for appropriateness in the target thread. If a majority of the board agrees that it is appropriate, it would then be "officially" posted to the thread.
I've been on a couple of boards that do that, and the downside is that in cases where an event in progress is being discussed (the VT shooting, etc.) you lose the ability to post new information as soon as it becomes available.

Also, those people responsible for screening new posts, on a large board, end up spending all their time screening posts and never have much chance to contribute to the ongoing discussion.
Just so you know, my tongue was planted firmly in cheek when I made that post. :wink:

Conolulu
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Back to the beginning "Come Monday"
Number of Concerts: 60
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything z-man makes..

Post by Conolulu »

alphabits wrote:
PJ wrote:

Rather than a post showing up immediately after the "Submit" button is pushed, it would instead go to a hold area. Items in the hold area would be reviewed by an editorial board who would evaluate it for appropriateness in the target thread. If a majority of the board agrees that it is appropriate, it would then be "officially" posted to the thread.
I've been on a couple of boards that do that, and the downside is that in cases where an event in progress is being discussed (the VT shooting, etc.) you lose the ability to post new information as soon as it becomes available.

Also, those people responsible for screening new posts, on a large board, end up spending all their time screening posts and never have much chance to contribute to the ongoing discussion.
Just so you know, my tongue was planted firmly in cheek when I made that post. :wink:

You??????? :o

Say it ain't so!

I'm shocked......

alphabits
God's Own Drunk

Post by alphabits »

Conolulu wrote:
alphabits wrote:
PJ wrote:

Say it ain't so!

I'm shocked......

Well, it's not like I have a history of that sort of thing. Wouldn't want my reputation sullied by a momentary slip.

We've wandered off topic again haven't we?

Conolulu
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Back to the beginning "Come Monday"
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything z-man makes..

Post by Conolulu »

alphabits wrote:
Conolulu wrote:
alphabits wrote:
PJ wrote:

Say it ain't so!

I'm shocked......

Well, it's not like I have a history of that sort of thing. Wouldn't want my reputation sullied by a momentary slip.

and your point??

:wink:

alphabits
God's Own Drunk

Post by alphabits »

Conolulu wrote:
alphabits wrote:
Conolulu wrote:
alphabits wrote:
PJ wrote:

Say it ain't so!

I'm shocked......

and your point??

:wink:

8)

Bubbaphan
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin' to reason with the hurricane season.
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: MMMMM..Beer. Wait, is that really a boat drink?

Post by Bubbaphan »

So, to summarize, I'd like to say [smilie=asa.gif] [smilie=hammerit.gif] [smilie=graytard.gif] [smilie=shake.gif] [smilie=sillyjester.gif] [smilie=spank.gif] [smilie=boggl3y3dummy-ani.gif] and finally :pirate:
Thank you Mods...wherever you are. [smilie=hearts.gif]
I'm a one-man band with no
Immediate plans...

ragtopW
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by ragtopW »

Migration Michelle wrote:
ragtopW wrote:
Migration Michelle wrote:
ragtopW wrote:
Jodibug wrote:
LIPH wrote:hmmm, popcorn (in my best Homer Simpson voice)
hot butter and Shannon spankin's . . . doesn't get much better than that :lol:
You forgot Beer..
How about a LandShark?!

What do you think, Larry?
Larry... and Santa prefer

Does that mean I've been naughty all year and won't make it onto Santa's list?
no not at all.. and 8) 8) Santa has two lists..

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

MikeInNOLA wrote:
ragtopW wrote:
MikeInNOLA wrote:
KeetAtHeart wrote:I agree that it's not practical to summarize long threads, but I also see Coug's point that people miss out on important topics when they're buried in long threads.
I see Coug's point too...heck, usually by Page 3 the discussion isn't even relevant to the original thread. :roll:

NOTE: This is PAGE THREE... <sigh>
do you think that sometimes that is on purpose??
No, I don't THINK so...I know so.

If you are not interested in the thread, why bother to comment? And, the moderators are just as guilty as others....just see page 3 and 4.
well let's look at this..
first sometimes it just happens
IE.. you mention something that triggers another thought
and boom off we go.. it happens. listen to any converasation.
second. sometimes it's done to cool things down.
get everyone focused elsewhere and we continue on a merry path
third.. sometimes it is just too much fun to lead the path off the trail
maybe I am tired of the subject, or maybe the thread question or topic
is just in need of some well deserved humor..
it has happened to more than one thread I have started, get over it..

Couganata
I need two more boat drinks

Post by Couganata »

RaptopW,

Yes, I am starting to see that only suggestions and comments from certain people gain any attention on the boards. There are is an old guard of people, in like most business, that have to assume they are right all the time. The boards aren't mine to dictate, I made suggestion; the mods, stated it would be to difficult, Larry went on like usual thinking he is the BN god, etc.

It amuses me that the old guard complain when a topic is revisted but hinder progressive discussion.

Maybe I can become a moderator too, have some new blood in the mix?

;)

Burn your bridges when you come to them, right?

Cougs
We made it!

Y-NO-9-O
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Location: Wish I was: 24:33:38.905N 81:48:22.910W (but getting closer)

Post by Y-NO-9-O »

Couganata wrote:RaptopW,

Yes, I am starting to see that only suggestions and comments from certain people gain any attention on the boards. There are is an old guard of people, in like most business, that have to assume they are right all the time. The boards aren't mine to dictate, I made suggestion; the mods, stated it would be to difficult, Larry went on like usual thinking he is the BN god, etc.

It amuses me that the old guard complain when a topic is revisted but hinder progressive discussion.

Maybe I can become a moderator too, have some new blood in the mix?

;)

Burn your bridges when you come to them, right?

Cougs
Oh, waaah! :cry:

dean_siu
Under My Lone Palm

Post by dean_siu »

LIPH wrote:And I'm not even a moderator.
But you did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night??? :lol: :lol:

MalibuRumGirl
Hoot!

Post by MalibuRumGirl »

Dezdmona wrote:Not sure if I'm reading you right, but why would you want numerous short threads instead of re-directing redundant threads to an existing thread on a particular topic where all information on that topic could be contained in one place?

Remember, the search function is your friend. :wink:

Ouch my brain hurts :P
myspace.com/respectamericanheroes

MalibuRumGirl
Hoot!

Post by MalibuRumGirl »

LIPH wrote:You don't have the time to read a long thread but you expect someone else to take the time to summarize it for you? :roll:
Time to self-censor before I get banned.

You crack me up Larry

MalibuRumGirl
Hoot!

Re: My Advice to the Moderators

Post by MalibuRumGirl »

z-man wrote:
Couganata wrote:Hello,

I lurk on here everyday about 20 times a day. It gets me away from my work, so I enjoy the break. However, I can not stay up to date with all the threads, etc.

Just wanted to voice my opinion that the general discussion should post all new things, bands, social, jimmy and after 2 pages or so they can be shifted into a new section.

What does everyone else think?

Cougs
Are you using the "latest posts" choice in the menu list?

If you are checking in fairly often, using "latest posts" makes it easy to see only the latest information in each thread. With the exception of the daily MSC thread, there are rarely more than a few pages of new posts in any particular thread in a given day; and "latest posts" works well for finding them.
Watch this topic also lets you know when something new has been posted to a topic you're interested in

MalibuRumGirl
Hoot!

Post by MalibuRumGirl »

LIPH wrote:No, but I was a moderator at another Buffett board and I got suspended once. :lol:

I'm sure that happened in Grammar, middle, high & law schools. All probably for sneaking blondes into class.

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

MalibuRumGirl wrote:
LIPH wrote:You don't have the time to read a long thread but you expect someone else to take the time to summarize it for you? :roll:
Time to self-censor before I get banned.

You crack me up Larry

:lol: :lol:

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

This thread is up to 6 pages now, who wants to summarize it for me so I don't have to waste my valuable time reading it? :lol:
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

gingerbreadman
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by gingerbreadman »

LIPH wrote:This thread is up to 6 pages now, who wants to summarize it for me so I don't have to waste my valuable time reading it? :lol:
Isn't the summary supposed to be on page 3? :lol:
Hey Snake, we need more wine!

job41475
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin to Reason
Number of Concerts: 37
Favorite Boat Drink: Beer
Location: "I want to Thank the Good Lord for making me a Yankee" - Joe DiMaggio

Post by job41475 »

Summary:

A Newbie made a suggestion he believed would save time that would end up wasting MOD's time and then we all hijacked the thread.......

There that about does it....

Couganata
I need two more boat drinks

Post by Couganata »

You read it because I post it, and that makes all of your days! :P

Still waiting to become a moderator!
We made it!