Camden Safety

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

ragtopW
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by ragtopW »

Moonie wrote:the parking lot after the show was incrediably nasty. broken glass everywhile...huge mounds of...well, whatever.

but that's from the tailgaters, not the venue, per se...
I still think I have the best answer.. 8)

NYCPORT
Minister of Entertainment
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy In The Jungle
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: Yes please...

Post by NYCPORT »

What are you 3 years old??? :o
You have to be kidding me!
Have you skipped visiting New York City your whole life because it's a little scary??? :roll:
Chances are if you go to the show you won't die and your car will be there after the show.

I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays
Lookin' for better days, lookin' for better days
Lookin' for Floridays

27 - 8

Moonie
User banned 30 days

Post by Moonie »

ragtopW wrote:
Moonie wrote:the parking lot after the show was incrediably nasty. broken glass everywhile...huge mounds of...well, whatever.

oh hell yeah..I agree, I suppose you want air fare thrown in, too?

Shucks, I'd go for that myself...

When it goes from full to crescent...I move in and out of tune...Everlasting Moon.... Image

jackiesic
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita with Salt
Location: "Surf's Up! Surf City, New Jersey! Let's Go!" Jimmy Buffett 6-14-08 Philly Con

Re: Camden Safety

Post by jackiesic »

puckhead wrote:
mrcleanwell wrote:I'm going to Camden this year for the first time and a little bit freaked out.

I keep reading how it is on of the most dangerous cities, extremely ghetto, and not a very safe place to be at 11:30 at night.

So phellow Camden-goers, is it as bad as I am fearing? Is the venue right off the highway or do you have to venture through burnt out projects to get there? Is the parking lot safe? I assume if the city is as bad as everyone says than the thugs most prey on the thousands of unwatched cars in the lots.

Please put my mind at ease :)
This is too funny.

Yes, Camden is one of the most dangerous cities in America and yes, you may even see some slums, but I can assure you that you will not have any problems getting to or from the venue.

The road into the venue is very direct and you will feel relatively safe. Once inide the parking lots, you will not even know that you are in one of America's poorest cities.

The lots are as safe as any other venue lot I have parked in, and the only real problems you will find in the lots are from drunk concert-goers who show little respect for cleanliness, sanitation and for other people's belongings (I once had an entire trash bag of bottles dump underneath my car by some drunk b@stards).

On the way out, the police stay until the lots are empty (I know becuase I have sat in the lots until 12:30 waiting for the traffic to die down). The police line the streets on the way out and direct traffic (ensuring that you don't get lost, becuase getting lost in Camden would be dangerous).

So all that said, you will be safe (relativel speaking) and you will have a good time. DON"T WORRY.
"May see some slums"????????
The venue is in the middle of what looks like a war zone but like most everyone said, there are lots of police, pay attention to what you're doing. Don't get so drunk that you can't pay attention and you should be fine
Jackie
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

Moonie wrote:
ragtopW wrote:

oh hell yeah..I agree, I suppose you want air fare thrown in, too?

Shucks, I'd go for that myself...
Please don't forget margarita money and Hotel $$

and a stack of singles for the ladies.. :wink:

blackjacks wife
Hoot!

Post by blackjacks wife »

War Zone?

The last thing that the Tweeter Center is in the middle of is a War Zone.

Have you been to Camden lately?

Once you get into "downtown" you are in the middle of a rebirth.

Between Cooper, Rutgers, Rowan, The Aquarium, The Nipper Condos, L3 Communications, Lockheed, Campbells Soup, The River Sharks and all the other corporations that have invested in the city over the past 10 years, The Tweeter Centers location is far from being in the middle of a war zone.

Just use your common sense and you will be fine. Keep your wits about you, park amoungst friends, and be friendly. The only "locals" you will probably see are the "Yo! T-shirt" guys and the emergency personnel.

The cops won't bother you, just offer them a bottle of water and a burger.

Have fun!!!

See you in Camden.

(remember to PM me if you would like to be on the cell list and want to sign the mascot)

OceanCityGirl
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Havana Daydreaming - today
Number of Concerts: 2
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by OceanCityGirl »

I find Asbury Park worst.
Navy Seals are Cooler then Pirates
You Can Dream Anyway, There's always next year!!!

jackiesic
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita with Salt
Location: "Surf's Up! Surf City, New Jersey! Let's Go!" Jimmy Buffett 6-14-08 Philly Con

Post by jackiesic »

blackjacks wife wrote:War Zone?

Between Cooper, Rutgers, Rowan, The Aquarium, The Nipper Condos, L3 Communications, Lockheed, Campbells Soup, The River Sharks and all the other corporations that have invested in the city over the past 10 years, The Tweeter Centers location is far from being in the middle of a war zone.

Just use your common sense and you will be fine. Keep your wits about you, park amoungst friends, and be friendly. The only "locals" you will probably see are the "Yo! T-shirt" guys and the emergency personnel.

Have fun!!!

See you in Camden.

(remember to PM me if you would like to be on the cell list and want to sign the mascot)
The way we drove in last year was pretty rough looking. I'd have to ask DH the road we took it but I know we followed the signs off of a major highway.
Jackie
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

blackjacks wife
Hoot!

Post by blackjacks wife »

jackiesic wrote:
blackjacks wife wrote:War Zone?

Have fun!!!

See you in Camden.

The way we drove in last year was pretty rough looking. I'd have to ask DH the road we took it but I know we followed the signs off of a major highway.
follow me out of town this year, It's one street to the boulevard and then onto Rt 70 towards LBI.

puckhead
Invalid Email Address

Post by puckhead »

jackiesic wrote:
puckhead wrote:
mrcleanwell wrote:I'm going to Camden this year for the first time and a little bit freaked out.

I keep reading how it is on of the most dangerous cities, extremely ghetto, and not a very safe place to be at 11:30 at night.

So phellow Camden-goers, is it as bad as I am fearing? Is the venue right off the highway or do you have to venture through burnt out projects to get there? Is the parking lot safe? I assume if the city is as bad as everyone says than the thugs most prey on the thousands of unwatched cars in the lots.

Please put my mind at ease :)
This is too funny.

Yes, Camden is one of the most dangerous cities in America and yes, you may even see some slums, but I can assure you that you will not have any problems getting to or from the venue.

The road into the venue is very direct and you will feel relatively safe. Once inide the parking lots, you will not even know that you are in one of America's poorest cities.

The lots are as safe as any other venue lot I have parked in, and the only real problems you will find in the lots are from drunk concert-goers who show little respect for cleanliness, sanitation and for other people's belongings (I once had an entire trash bag of bottles dump underneath my car by some drunk b@stards).

On the way out, the police stay until the lots are empty (I know becuase I have sat in the lots until 12:30 waiting for the traffic to die down). The police line the streets on the way out and direct traffic (ensuring that you don't get lost, becuase getting lost in Camden would be dangerous).

So all that said, you will be safe (relativel speaking) and you will have a good time. DON"T WORRY.
"May see some slums"????????
The venue is in the middle of what looks like a war zone but like most everyone said, there are lots of police, pay attention to what you're doing. Don't get so drunk that you can't pay attention and you should be fine
Actually the venue is not in a war zone, but is in the middle of an aquarium, minor league baseball field, a university, the USS NJ and some high priced condos that are being developed.

Yes Camden is a horrible city, but the venue is not located in the slums.

rumdrinks
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: How can you pick just one ?
Number of Concerts: 28
Favorite Boat Drink: all of them

Post by rumdrinks »

From what I've seen after being to about 10 shows at Camden is, the real war zone is in the parking lot after the concert. I can honestly say I've been ashamed of all the crap left behind by tailgaters. It's more dangerous trying to get out of the lot than Camden itself.

SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by SMLCHNG »

rumdrinks wrote:From what I've seen after being to about 10 shows at Camden is, the real war zone is in the parking lot after the concert. I can honestly say I've been ashamed of all the crap left behind by tailgaters. It's more dangerous trying to get out of the lot than Camden itself.
Been there once - in 2003 - and that is exactly what my feelings were after the show. :-?

Migration Michelle
Behind Door #3

Post by Migration Michelle »

jackiesic wrote: Don't get so drunk that you can't pay attention and you should be fine
Perfect advice!

We went to the Orlando concert in February with a large group in a nice bus. We were even parked right next to the entrance.

One of the guys we were with got completely plastered and wandered off out of the venue just before the concert ended.

It turns out he was mugged by a group of men (not concert-goers).
He had a severly crushed collar bone that required immediate surgery.
It is a 6-9 month recovery.

This probably would not have happened had he been in his right mind.

There were not that many police that night, I'm sure there will be more at Camden.

Just keep your wits about you, know your directions and you should be fine.