TagAlong (david) Needs an Explanation

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

12vmanRick wrote:MOTM is for parrotheads to gather, hence Meeting Of The Minds. So you are either going to hear music like that of JB and hang with other PH's or you are no better than the SYKBH crowd if you only go hoping to rub elbows with CRB or Jimmy.
if you're wanting to rub elbows, I agree. but if you're wanting to hear Peter, Mac and Club Trini play their music, that's different, IMHO. it's about the music, for me.

<<----speaking very softly now because I'm probably about to p*ss off someone on every side of this argument... I'd rather have the CRB members play their gigs at MOTM and see them sit in with other bands (as Doyle does with John Frinzi) than have JB make a surprise appearance..... just my two cents.... that and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee...
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

The Bahg wrote:Actually one Coral Reefer will be there. The original Coral Reefer-Fingers Taylor. :D
He's scheduled to play with KD, Hugo and, rumor has it, Asbell that week.
minor point of order.... Fingers is scheduled to be in KW, but is not scheduled to perform as part of MOTM. that said, see you at Hugo Duarte's gigs! :D
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

AlbatrossFlyer
Schoolboy heart & a license to fly

Post by AlbatrossFlyer »

personally i think it's a boneheaded business decision, x parrotheads at MOTM = less ticket demand for tampa shows.... p*** off the fan base enough times and the fans will quit supporting you.

one thing to consider, once hockey season starts booking 2 dates for a concert gets hard

I'd feel bad for you, but I have no soul.....

If you can't do it with brains, you won't do it with hours - Kelly Johnson

flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 53
Favorite Boat Drink: Z-Man's MANGO THINGIES!!!!!
Location: I have been promoted from John Frinzi's stalker to ROADIE!!!! :)

Post by flipflopgirl »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote: <<----speaking very softly now because I'm probably about to p*ss off someone on every side of this argument... I'd rather have the CRB members play their gigs at MOTM and see them sit in with other bands (as Doyle does with John Frinzi) than have JB make a surprise appearance..... just my two cents.... that and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee...
i agree with you on this Jen! granted the two MOTM's i have been to JB has not shown up but the speculation was getting RIDICULOUS! :roll: I enjoy seeing the smaller artists showcase their talent and hanging out with good people! :D
Image "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats." Mark Twain

chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

AlbatrossFlyer wrote:personally i think it's a boneheaded business decision, x parrotheads at MOTM = less ticket demand for tampa shows.... p*** off the fan base enough times and the fans will quit supporting you.

one thing to consider, once hockey season starts booking 2 dates for a concert gets hard
??? These are outdoor shows.

Reading thru this thread, and the others...some go to MOTM to see Coral Reefers, some to see Trop Rock regardless of who's playing. Some go to possibly catch a glimpse of Jimmy, others want to catch up with old friends. It's a lot of different things for a very diverse group of people, you can't possibly please all of them. Odd timing, yes, but who knows what will happen on Friday. Go and have a good time, wish I was with ya....at KW or Tampa.

jonesbeach10
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Weather is Here Wish You Were Beautiful
Number of Concerts: 9
Location: Living with my feet in DC and my head in the cool blue north

Post by jonesbeach10 »

AlbatrossFlyer wrote:personally i think it's a boneheaded business decision, x parrotheads at MOTM = less ticket demand for tampa shows.... p*** off the fan base enough times and the fans will quit supporting you.

I think you are confusing Ford Amphitheater with the Ice Palace???

Sometimes more than others,
we see who and what and where we are,
I'm just a one man band,
With my feet in the sand,
Tonight I just need my guitar

ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
12vmanRick wrote:MOTM is for parrotheads to gather, hence Meeting Of The Minds. So you are either going to hear music like that of JB and hang with other PH's or you are no better than the SYKBH crowd if you only go hoping to rub elbows with CRB or Jimmy.
if you're wanting to rub elbows, I agree. but if you're wanting to hear Peter, Mac and Club Trini play their music, that's different, IMHO. it's about the music, for me.

<<----speaking very softly now because I'm probably about to p*ss off someone on every side of this argument... I'd rather have the CRB members play their gigs at MOTM and see them sit in with other bands (as Doyle does with John Frinzi) than have JB make a surprise appearance..... just my two cents.... that and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee...

I wold rather rub elbows with a blonde fiddle player..
no names.. 8) 8)

I am thinking I have better odds of the bald barefood guy showing..
:( :(

Migration Michelle
Behind Door #3

Post by Migration Michelle »

I appears to me that Jimmy Buffett is pretty good at making business decisions.

There is no possible way to make all of your fans happy...just read a lot of the threads here. Someone is always complaining about something.

I'm sure it is easy for JB or the CRB to make it to MOTM some years and some years they have scheduling conflicts or just don't feel like going...which is okay, too. Aren't there some years we all have scheduling conflicts or don't feel like doing something?

Can you imagine if your friends, or family, or in-laws got on you and talked about you with everyone in the world because you didn't make it to that crazy family reunion again?!

If I get what people are saying, it seems like the ones who go to MOTM go because they have a great time regardless of who decides to play.

There are plenty of other opportunities to rub elbows with Jimmy and the Coral Reefers. Go to MOTM and have fun with your friends!

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

Migration Michelle wrote:

I appears to me that Jimmy Buffett is pretty good at making business decisions.

There is no possible way to make all of your fans happy...just read a lot of the threads here. Someone is always complaining about something.

but as Allison said very well, the logic of scheduling two shows on a weekend that is and has been set in stone causes people to raise eyebrows and wonder. And it would be an easier sell if a) Jimmy and his people could just announce the tour dates in one bloc. (I figure he could work out a deal with MLB to get their software for scheduling a 162 game season for 30 teams... it's not like scheduling 20-ish shows across 8 months would overstress that software...) and b) it weren't in the backyard, in conflict with MOTM.

I'm sure it is easy for JB or the CRB to make it to MOTM some years and some years they have scheduling conflicts or just don't feel like going...which is okay, too. Aren't there some years we all have scheduling conflicts or don't feel like doing something?

see above... especially when your livelihood does depend on selling a product to repeat customers.

Can you imagine if your friends, or family, or in-laws got on you and talked about you with everyone in the world because you didn't make it to that crazy family reunion again?!

it isn't even about (for me) Jimmy showing or not. I've already seen him do a show at the Casa for MOTM. It isn't about him "owing me something". It isn't about being a sharp businessman... So if those concepts came out of your defense of his actions, what are you left with when talking about this?

If I get what people are saying, it seems like the ones who go to MOTM go because they have a great time regardless of who decides to play.

There are plenty of other opportunities to rub elbows with Jimmy and the Coral Reefers. Go to MOTM and have fun with your friends!
for me, it's the following: a) I am going to see the friends and "family"; but MOTM is also about seeing bands that don't make it here very often (and yeah, this year Peter Mayer has been thru town once or twice, Uncle Jim has been here once, and I (am probably wrong but I) think Mac has as well. However, there are a lot of places that are not quite so lucky, and it is nice to see the aerialists in circus alone, or the animal trainers, to use the circus analogy. b) drop the "rub elbows statement", for me I wouldn't know Jimmy if he were standing right next to me probably, he'd probably look like any other leathery old guy with a ball cap and shorts in KW. c) I have never gone to rub elbows with members of the band, and you won't see a collection of pictures of me with band members, tho I might have an autographed album or two for friends, not for me.

I am glad he decided to do a show in Tampa, I am glad he decided to do two of them. But for the last *$%&$)%*&$)(*$() time: I am curious about the logic that made it necessary to pick that particular weekend and wrap it in secrecy until now.

Tiki Bar
Thank God the Tiki Torch Still Shines
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour / Tin Cup Chalice medley!
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Friends don't let friends drink tequila! Beer me!

Post by Tiki Bar »

Why ask why?
You’re still grinning, we’re still winning, nothing left to say
I’m still gliding as I go flying down this endless wave

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

Tiki Bar wrote:Why ask why?
because

Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 15

Post by Quiet and Shy »

Basically, it's why choose "or" when it seems he could so easily have chosen "and".

Put another way...

It's like knocking over that proverbial glass because it's only half-full. (It just didn't need to be done.)
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far

Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester
Favorite Boat Drink: cubra libre

Post by Tequila Revenge »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:

You can buy coffee for a $1.00 on the east coast :o
got to stop wishin' got to start fishin'....

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

Tequila Revenge wrote:
SchoolGirlHeart wrote:

Coffee's free in the cafeteria in my office
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester

LIPH wrote:
Tequila Revenge wrote:
SchoolGirlHeart wrote:

Coffee's free in the cafeteria in my office
Wouldn't you expect that from a New York law firm?

LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

I worked at another firm for about 2 months when I was a temp in 1996, they sold wine in the cafeteria every day and beer on Friday afternoons. We don't do that here.

Tequila Revenge
Lester Polyester

LIPH wrote:I worked at another firm for about 2 months when I was a temp in 1996, they sold wine in the cafeteria every day and beer on Friday afternoons. We don't do that here.

Now THAT I'd expect from a San Francisco law firm :D

flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing

Post by flipflopgirl »

LIPH wrote:I worked at another firm for about 2 months when I was a temp in 1996, they sold wine in the cafeteria every day and beer on Friday afternoons. We don't do that here.
DAMB!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish they would do that at the hospital cafeteria! then i would really enjoy my job! :o :lol: :lol: :lol: we do get free coffee,tea,hot chocolate and spring water! :roll:
Image "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats." Mark Twain

LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

We have to pay for bottled water but coffee, tea and hot chocolate are all free.

flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing

Post by flipflopgirl »

LIPH wrote:We have to pay for bottled water but coffee, tea and hot chocolate are all free.
If i got free wine at work it would make it much more entertaining! :lol: