Salt, Salt, Salt......

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Bfan53
License to Chill

Salt, Salt, Salt......

Post by Bfan53 »

OK I'm sure that this questions has been asked many times before, but being new to BN I'd like to know:

When did Jimmy & the fans start chanting "salt, salt, salt" during the concert version of "Margaritaville"?

I promise I'll never bring it up again.......thanks!

FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Post by FunkHouse9 »

I asked it once before back in the summer and never really got an answer, but here's the thread anyway. :D

http://www.buffettnews.com/forum/viewto ... +salt+salt
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.

krusin1
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: loaded Corona

Re: Salt, Salt, Salt......

Post by krusin1 »

Bfan53 wrote:OK I'm sure that this questions has been asked many times before, but being new to BN I'd like to know:

When did Jimmy & the fans start chanting "salt, salt, salt" during the concert version of "Margaritaville"?

I promise I'll never bring it up again.......thanks!

December 12, 1997, the Boise show. :wink:
"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?" ~ Satchel Paige

beantownfan
Southeast of disorder

Post by beantownfan »

While I don't post as much as most...I am a long time veteran fan so I'll take a crack at answering this question.

I believe the "salt, salt, salt" started at Merriweather in the early 90's. One year, a section of beautiful women held up three signs...each sign had the word "salt" on it. These women screamed "salt, salt, salt" at the top of their lungs.

The next year, these same women showed up with their signs and at the right moment, screamed "salt, salt, salt." Jimmy seemed really surprised and then seemed to remember the previous year. "Salt, Salt, Salt" showed up the next year (just Jimmy singing it) and eventually the Reeferettes added the background "salt, salt, salt."

Anyone have the same recollection/experience as I do?

comemonday
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 25

Post by comemonday »

beantownfan wrote:While I don't post as much as most...I am a long time veteran fan so I'll take a crack at answering this question.

I believe the "salt, salt, salt" started at Merriweather in the early 90's. One year, a section of beautiful women held up three signs...each sign had the word "salt" on it. These women screamed "salt, salt, salt" at the top of their lungs.

The next year, these same women showed up with their signs and at the right moment, screamed "salt, salt, salt." Jimmy seemed really surprised and then seemed to remember the previous year. "Salt, Salt, Salt" showed up the next year (just Jimmy singing it) and eventually the Reeferettes added the background "salt, salt, salt."

Anyone have the same recollection/experience as I do?
Would be cool to be a sign girl! I don't know where, but I'm with you on the when... I would guess early 90's; I remember being surprised the first time, then it seemed like it was always like that!

JustDucky
I Love the Now!

Post by JustDucky »

I was told it was started at the Margaritaville show in 1996, which I was at. I had never heard it done before then so I really don't know. It didn't happen the previous year there, The Last Slice Of Fruitcake tour. I recall someone else on BN saying the same thing, that that is where it started in 1996. Banana Wind was just about to come out and I think he sat in with someone at Jazz Fest but he did not play JF that year.

bravedave
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bravedave »

The first time I heard it was not at a Buffett concert, but a pub.

In the late 1980s a pair of local performers (Bob & Jeff) who called themselves Change of Pace ran the college circuit in Maryland and surrounding areas, singing Buffett-esque songs and doing comedic routines.

They encouraged audience participation and incorporated "Salt-Salt-Salt" into their version of Margaritaville. Then, at Merriweather (circa 1990), Jimmy Buffett heard it from the crowd and remarked, "There must be some Bob & Jeff fans out there."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
“Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.”
- Kaiser Welhelm

"The call is a loud wulli-wulli, and there is much twittering at the drinking holes."

MKats31
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by MKats31 »

m
Last edited by MKats31 on April 12, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bfan53
License to Chill

Post by Bfan53 »

Like so many things about JB, the "real" answer may never be known.

They "just happen" and are carried on........

MKats31

Post by MKats31 »

very true Bfan....i never thought of it as that

brznbeaches
Favorite Buffett Song: Carnival World
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by brznbeaches »

I believe it started at Merriwether in Maryland, in 1990 (I was there!) At least that's what all the members of the Wahington Area club, say....
Bristow 09.09 LAS 10.09 Camden 08.07.10 PGH0 8.12.10 Bristow 09.04.10 LAS 10.23.10 EYW 11.1-7.10 TPA 04.16.11 Frisco 05.21.11 PGH 06.21.11 BristowBOYCOTT/HURRICANE Paris 09.26.11 EYW 11.4.11 TPA 3.30.12 PGH 6.28.12 Bristow 9.1.12 ...??? Bristow 8.16.14 Bristow 6.20.15 Camden 8.17.17

JustDucky
I Love the Now!

Post by JustDucky »

Well, what we all know is...it started somewhere in the 1990s.

Gibby
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by Gibby »

Wow Bravedave- I often read posts here, but haven't posted for years. When I was browsing through this thread, I thought "When I was at Towson State in the late 80's Bob and Jeff would sing that during their shows". What ever happend to Bob and Jeff? Going to their shows was the most fun one could have in the Student Union!

OystersandBeer
Overkill
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast is Clear (Gulf Coast Version)
Number of Concerts: 10

Post by OystersandBeer »

I always shouted "Salt salt, where's the fu**ing salt?" Is that just me? I thought it made it more urgent.

bravedave
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bravedave »

Gibby wrote:Wow Bravedave- I often read posts here, but haven't posted for years. When I was browsing through this thread, I thought "When I was at Towson State in the late 80's Bob and Jeff would sing that during their shows". What ever happend to Bob and Jeff? Going to their shows was the most fun one could have in the Student Union!
Bob and Jeff are back together and promoting shows around Baltimore.
I think they still perform as "Change of Pace" at Damon's in Hunt Valley once in a while. Bob teaches guitar too.

http://www.ebobandjeff.com/

bravedave
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bravedave »

Going to see Bob & Jeff (Change of Pace) at Hightopps in Timonium, Md, tonight with some old friends. It's been years (and years and years). Show starts at 10pm. Hope I can stay awake that late. :D

pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 9

Post by pbans »

I started it in my living room on July 23, 1986.
I was being closely observed in a witness protection program at the time and I'm pretty sure the CIA saw me doing it and said, "Hey, that's freaking cool. Let's call Mr. Buffett." So they called Jimmy and said, "There is this goofy chick in Utah, but we think she's on to something." They explained it to him. He liked the idea, so he started planting people in the audience to start doing it.
It took awhile to catch on, but that's pretty much how it happened.
Paige in Utah
"Don't try to shake it, just nod your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on"

fabduo
Behind Door #3

Post by fabduo »

pbans wrote:I started it in my living room on July 23, 1986.
I was being closely observed in a witness protection program at the time and I'm pretty sure the CIA saw me doing it and said, "Hey, that's freaking cool. Let's call Mr. Buffett." So they called Jimmy and said, "There is this goofy chick in Utah, but we think she's on to something." They explained it to him. He liked the idea, so he started planting people in the audience to start doing it.
It took awhile to catch on, but that's pretty much how it happened.
That's your story & you're sticking to it :wink: :wink:
ImageImageImageImage

Crazy Navy Flyer
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 100
Favorite Boat Drink: rum

Post by Crazy Navy Flyer »

Actually I started it in a bar in Key West in the early 70's. Jimmy was playing over in the corner, I ordered a margarita and the bar maid forgot the salt on the rim of my glass, I tried to point out the error but she couldn't hear me over the noise Jimmy was making, I was yelling "salt salt salt" and I guess Jimmy just picked it up. :o :lol:
Back to livin' Floridays

Lightning Bolt
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Tryin To Reason...
Number of Concerts: 17
Location: Mt. Helix looking east to the future, west to this sunset

Post by Lightning Bolt »

I thought sure we were chanting it at the '89 "Off To Shake The Lizard" show at SDSU Aztec Bowl 8)

I certainly remember that conga line that took us right up to the stage! :roll:
$#@&...only Vegas again?? Padres ...gotta start believin'!Bring on '14 Spring Training!