Salt, Salt, Salt......

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Saltx3
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 22
Favorite Boat Drink: MARGARITA, FIREBALL WHISKEY

Re: Salt, Salt, Salt......

Post by Saltx3 »

you rang ? :wink:
SALT, SALT, SALT/Linda

carolinapiratechik
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Carolina
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: I'm a beer girl

Post by carolinapiratechik »

pbans wrote:I started it in my living room on July 23, 1986.
I was being closely observed in a witness protection program at the time and I'm pretty sure the CIA saw me doing it and said, "Hey, that's freaking cool. Let's call Mr. Buffett." So they called Jimmy and said, "There is this goofy chick in Utah, but we think she's on to something." They explained it to him. He liked the idea, so he started planting people in the audience to start doing it.
It took awhile to catch on, but that's pretty much how it happened.

So, you are the woman to blame!
My pal, Groovy
Save a life, adopt a pet
Adopted Aug. 11, 2010
http://carolinapoodlerescue.org/

The Lost Manatee
I Love the Now!
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by The Lost Manatee »

pbans wrote:I started it in my living room on July 23, 1986.
I was being closely observed in a witness protection program at the time and I'm pretty sure the CIA saw me doing it and said, "Hey, that's freaking cool. Let's call Mr. Buffett." So they called Jimmy and said, "There is this goofy chick in Utah, but we think she's on to something." They explained it to him. He liked the idea, so he started planting people in the audience to start doing it.
It took awhile to catch on, but that's pretty much how it happened.
That's a nice semi-true story
Captain Jack's Bar & Grill, Home to the Lost Manatee.

Livin' and dyin' in 3/4 time.

FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Re:

Post by FunkHouse9 »

beantownfan wrote:I believe the "salt, salt, salt" started at Merriweather in the early 90's. One year, a section of beautiful women held up three signs...each sign had the word "salt" on it. These women screamed "salt, salt, salt" at the top of their lungs.

The next year, these same women showed up with their signs and at the right moment, screamed "salt, salt, salt." Jimmy seemed really surprised and then seemed to remember the previous year. "Salt, Salt, Salt" showed up the next year (just Jimmy singing it) and eventually the Reeferettes added the background "salt, salt, salt."
At the 9/1/12 Bristow show, Jimmy said "Salt, Salt, Salt was originated here." I knew that wasn't right for Bristow specifically since it predates Nissan Pavilion, but it's considered a DC venue just as many consider Merriweather to be (as opposed to Baltimore), so I'm sure he really meant DC. I've seen the "Bob and Jeff" attribution elsewhere since Dave mentioned it here and it certainly seems to be accurate. I've been combing through the available recordings on Jokelben and I haven't yet found anything prior to the 6/19/93 show at Merriweather Post Pavilion where it was included. There was a show on 6/18/93 at MPP as well, but no recording on there as of now, so there's no evidence it was a part of that show.

The 6/19/93 show is a (good) RM recording, so they chose that show out of the three from that week to replay and I'd speculate at the time that there was some mention of this when it was replayed online. In the recording, during the first chorus, you can barely hear Jimmy going with it and then during the following choruses he's more vocal on it. This seems, to me, to make beantownfan's version of events pretty plausible.

So, with Jimmy's DC area attribution, BTF's bit of supporting backstory, and no additional evidence at this time to suggest an alternate time frame, I submit for your consideration that the performance of Margaritaville at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD on June 19, 1993 was likely the debut of "Salt, Salt, Salt" in Jimmy's live shows.
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.

surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Re: Re:

Post by surfpirate »

FunkHouse9 wrote:So, with Jimmy's DC area attribution, BTF's bit of supporting backstory, and no additional evidence at this time to suggest an alternate time frame, I submit for your consideration that the performance of Margaritaville at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD on June 19, 1993 was likely the debut of "Salt, Salt, Salt" in Jimmy's live shows.
the surfpirate on June 20th of 1993:
"Yesterday, June 19, 1993—a date which will live in infamy—the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by vocal and nasal voices of the Empire of Lyrics Bastardization."
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |

FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Re: Re:

Post by FunkHouse9 »

surfpirate wrote:
FunkHouse9 wrote:So, with Jimmy's DC area attribution, BTF's bit of supporting backstory, and no additional evidence at this time to suggest an alternate time frame, I submit for your consideration that the performance of Margaritaville at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD on June 19, 1993 was likely the debut of "Salt, Salt, Salt" in Jimmy's live shows.
the surfpirate on June 20th of 1993:
"Yesterday, June 19, 1993—a date which will live in infamy—the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by vocal and nasal voices of the Empire of Lyrics Bastardization."
Hey! No rewriting history!
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.