Our discussion board has been updated to a newer version. If you have a problem with viewing try clearing your browser's cache and refresh.

Older Buffett Concert Locations.....

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Bfan53
License to Chill

Older Buffett Concert Locations.....

Post by Bfan53 » April 6, 2008 8:27 am

Although I've been a Buffett fan for a long time, my wife & I only started attending concerts beginning at Philadelphia in 2005. Why, I have no clue. However; we have tickets for 2 shows this year, making 5 shows in the last 5 years. We're trying to catch up before JB, well, you know...... :o

It's been fun reading some of the posts on BN from those of you that have been going to his concerts "since the beginning". Most interesting has been some of the unique the places you've seen Jimmy perform over these many years.

With the 2008 season just about to start in full, I thought it might be fun for you to reminisce about some of these venues that JB no longer plays. What's your story?????

GumboPirate
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by GumboPirate » April 6, 2008 8:44 am

Buckeye Lake!! The great mudslide and thunderstorm of ???? (forget the year)...but what a fun time on the lawn with everyone around us sliding down the hill on tarps, blankets, whatever they had!
ImageImage

murPH
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: "Desperation Samba--Anguilla version"
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: perfect margarita, of course!

Post by murPH » April 6, 2008 12:08 pm

Syria Mosque, Pittsburgh, Pa. 12-7-89. "Off to See the Lizard Tour." This place no longer exists.

"More cowbell!"---Christopher Walken
"Still crazy after all these years."---Paul Simon

ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer

Post by ph4ever » April 6, 2008 12:41 pm

Armadillo World Headquarters, Austin, TX. Tons of excellent performers graced the stage. Too bad it's been gone 28 years :-?

http://www.awhq.com/perfs.htm
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.

I lost my cat :cry: Nevermind I found her!!! [smilie=battingeyes.gif]

maufro
Fruitcake
Favorite Buffett Song: Life Is Just a Tire Swing
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: K1

Post by maufro » April 6, 2008 12:57 pm

Right there in Philly-

The Robin Hood Dell East (I don't even know if it's still there) Back in the late 70's early 80's. Great little place in the woods.

Then a little later he moved across the river (Schuylkill that is) played the Dell West (Mann Music Center) this was a really cool pavilion great wood roof and a huge side lawn area under the stars.
"Integrity is the essence of everything successful"
R. Buckminster Fuller

pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 9

Post by pbans » April 6, 2008 1:57 pm

Park West (now wolf mountain) Utah!

Although he only played there once, it was 'my first' and most influential concert.......it's a glorious venue, set up in the mountains of Park City.
Paige in Utah
"Don't try to shake it, just nod your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on"

East Texas Parrothead
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Tonight I Just Need My Guitar *and* Southern Cross
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by East Texas Parrothead » April 6, 2008 1:59 pm

A string of small bars on Greenville Avenue in Dallas ... It's been 30 years, so none of them are still there ... one of them was named Mother Blues, if my memory serves ...
Gentilly ... 42 years is a long time to wait .... a Northeast Texas woman can hope.
My love is an anchor tied to you, tied with a silver chain.

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart » April 6, 2008 2:20 pm

East Texas Parrothead wrote:A string of small bars on Greenville Avenue in Dallas ... It's been 30 years, so none of them are still there ... one of them was named Mother Blues, if my memory serves ...
Now that would have been just *awesome*...
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched » April 6, 2008 2:25 pm

I've only been going to see Jimmy since 1994, but some interesting places I've seen him are...

South Park Meadows outside Austin...no longer there. There was a big ole gravel parking lot and a huge grassy hill and field and a stage with temporary flooring put down with folding chairs all linked together.

It was a great show in 1996---Banana Wind Tour.

Another unique place was The Summit in Houston...was the Compaq Center and is now the Lakewood Church where Joel Osteen preaches. Jimmy could play there again and we could call it the Church of Buffett. :D

Most unique place I've seen Jimmy was when the Margaritaville Flamingo opened and Jimmy and the Coral Reefers played at the Flamingo POOL. They filled that huge ole pool in with sand and everyone stood out on the sand to watch the show. It was a neat, neat setting with grotto and palm trees.

Best place I've ever seen Jimmy was when he played at the Paramount Theater in Austin, TX...first time was with Jerry Jeff Walker at his BDB in 2002. Then again we saw him for the Kinky Benefit. Way great shows!!!

Texas Stadium Show wasn't half bad either. :wink: :wink: :lol:

In my dreams I've seen him play at Blue Heaven. 8) :)

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart » April 6, 2008 2:26 pm

Waaaay back, JB used to play universities now and then. My first JB show was in 1979, at the Naval Academy.
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

Salukulady
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 7

Post by Salukulady » April 6, 2008 3:41 pm

When I was in high school (late 70's) he played at The Golden Bear in Huntington Beach, CA. Unfortunately I wasn't a Parrothead yet. The Golden Bear was a very famous small club that everyone that was anyone played at. You could get in there as long as you were 14 years old (with a special hand stamp) or older. I did see Tower of Power once and Tim Weisberg twice there. Boy, if anyone has a picture of the marque with Jimmy's name on it, I'd die for it. The Golden Bear was a very famous landmark here in H.B. going back to the early 20's. Originally it was a cafe. Unfortunately, when the powers that be decided to make my little sleepy beach town into a overbuilt tourist trap, the Golden Bear was torn down. They built a new club but it was shut down due to sound problems. You'd think they would have anticipated sound problems when they built a night club next to a movie theater....and now the movie theater has gone under too. So much for progress....

NelliBli
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by NelliBli » April 6, 2008 4:53 pm

:D That Buckeye Lake concert was in 1995... my football game poncho STILL has ineradicable mud from that concert on it... no matter how many times cleaned or warn in rain!!
I miss Blossom... except the Ohio State police are the "No Fun Patrol"... at Blossom, they even examined our sodas in coolies, to make sure it wasn't beer ( we wqere eating @ the time... LOL!). BUT Blossom was a great place to watch a concert. It was a place where JB always said 'I'll always come to Blossom because I was born near here".. but he doesn't :(

Bfan53
License to Chill

Post by Bfan53 » April 6, 2008 5:32 pm

Wow, some great stuff everybody!

Keep 'em coming........ :pirate:

sjlmk
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Frozen Margaritas

Post by sjlmk » April 6, 2008 8:20 pm

The old Palladium at Carowinds outside Charlotte, NC back in the 1970's. Small outdoor amplitheater at the theme park that would seat about 1,000 people. For $2.00 and a park pass for the day you could get in and see Jimmy with a crowd of at least 200!! Come Monday and Pencil Thin Moustache were the only songs I had ever heard by him back then.
"Oh there's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning!"

Crazy Navy Flyer
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 100
Favorite Boat Drink: rum

Post by Crazy Navy Flyer » April 6, 2008 9:04 pm

Key West High School auditorium, 1975

Calabash bar, St Thomas, about 1978

Pensacola Bayfront auditorium, '79 or '80

Centennial Park in downtown Ft Myers, Fl, with Glenn Frey, 1991
Back to livin' Floridays

murPH
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: "Desperation Samba--Anguilla version"
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: perfect margarita, of course!

Post by murPH » April 6, 2008 9:10 pm

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:Waaaay back, JB used to play universities now and then. My first JB show was in 1979, at the Naval Academy.

I know he also played Dickinson College in Carlisle, PA, sometime during that time frame. This information is included in the handbook given out to incoming Freshmen at the school.

"More cowbell!"---Christopher Walken
"Still crazy after all these years."---Paul Simon

bravedave
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bravedave » April 6, 2008 9:33 pm

Kings Dominion theme park, near Richmond, Va.

And of course, Merriweather Post Pavilion

GumboPirate
License to Chill

Post by GumboPirate » April 6, 2008 10:15 pm

NelliBli wrote::D That Buckeye Lake concert was in 1995... my football game poncho STILL has ineradicable mud from that concert on it... no matter how many times cleaned or warn in rain!!
I miss Blossom... except the Ohio State police are the "No Fun Patrol"... at Blossom, they even examined our sodas in coolies, to make sure it wasn't beer ( we wqere eating @ the time... LOL!). BUT Blossom was a great place to watch a concert. It was a place where JB always said 'I'll always come to Blossom because I was born near here".. but he doesn't :(
That would be it! Thanks for jogging the memory! I agree, Blossom is a great place to watch a show but the Police ruin the overall concert experience. They made you feel like one of America's most wanted because you had a beer!
ImageImage

IrishPirate
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA and far to many to mention here
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: margaritas, pina coladas, 7&7

Post by IrishPirate » April 6, 2008 10:33 pm

"yes i am a" first saw JB in 1974 at the "Tower Theater" in Upper Darby, Pa., followed by seeing him in Lakeland Fla at Sunfest in '76, and then in June of 1977 one of our dates was to see JB at the Tower. Then we saw him at the Dell, the Mann, the E-Center - Tweeter Center. The not so favorite place to see him is where he'll be again this year, Citizens Bank Park.

Tropic_Al
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 29
Favorite Boat Drink: Just about anything, as long it's in a blue cup.

Post by Tropic_Al » April 6, 2008 10:52 pm

Garden State Arts Center,(now PNC Bank Arts Center) Holmdel NJ. Only 15 minutes from my house. :D :D
Of course the last time he played there was '98. :(
Michael "Tank" Listowski 05.14.54-09.24.08 RIP