Older Buffett Concert Locations.....

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Burny Charles
Spaminator
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by Burny Charles »

NelliBli wrote::D That Buckeye Lake concert was in 1995... my football game poncho STILL has ineradicable mud from that concert on it... no matter how many times cleaned or warn in rain!!
I miss Blossom... except the Ohio State police are the "No Fun Patrol"... at Blossom, they even examined our sodas in coolies, to make sure it wasn't beer ( we wqere eating @ the time... LOL!). BUT Blossom was a great place to watch a concert. It was a place where JB always said 'I'll always come to Blossom because I was born near here".. but he doesn't :(
Jimmy was born in Cleveland? :o
Tarheel Tail-Gator
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks at 40, Migration, Cowboy in the Jungle,,,,,,
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Zaya, with Lime and 1 ice cube

Post by Tarheel Tail-Gator »

Burny Charles wrote:
NelliBli wrote::D That Buckeye Lake concert was in 1995... my football game poncho STILL has ineradicable mud from that concert on it... no matter how many times cleaned or warn in rain!!
I miss Blossom... except the Ohio State police are the "No Fun Patrol"... at Blossom, they even examined our sodas in coolies, to make sure it wasn't beer ( we wqere eating @ the time... LOL!). BUT Blossom was a great place to watch a concert. It was a place where JB always said 'I'll always come to Blossom because I was born near here".. but he doesn't :(
That's what happens when you drink sodas at a JB concert. You hear strange things. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Burny Charles
Spaminator

Post by Burny Charles »

Tarheel Tail-Gator wrote:
Burny Charles wrote:
That's what happens when you drink sodas at a JB concert. You hear strange things. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I always thought he had an Ohio accent. :lol:
BigR-KyParrothead
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Knee Deep w/ZBB
Number of Concerts: 49
Favorite Boat Drink: Fat Tire

Post by BigR-KyParrothead »

GumboPirate wrote:Buckeye Lake!! The great mudslide and thunderstorm of ???? (forget the year)...but what a fun time on the lawn with everyone around us sliding down the hill on tarps, blankets, whatever they had!
i was there!

stepped in a mud puddle, and it went up to my knee, lost a flop and walked around the rest of the day bare foot.
Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

He played at Mud Island in Memphis as "recently" as 1995, but in 1978 he played at the Field House in Iowa City, IA as the opening act for EmmyLou Harris.
I wasn't there. The day (night) of the concert, I was in Taiwan.
flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 53
Favorite Boat Drink: Z-Man's MANGO THINGIES!!!!!
Location: I have been promoted from John Frinzi's stalker to ROADIE!!!! :)

Post by flipflopgirl »

Tropic_Al wrote:Garden State Arts Center,(now PNC Bank Arts Center) Holmdel NJ. Only 15 minutes from my house. :D :D
Of course the last time he played there was '98. :(
[smilie=cwl.gif] [smilie=cwl.gif] [smilie=cwl.gif] I miss Buffett playing there! That is where my mom took me to see him for the first time! :D
Image "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats." Mark Twain
Conolulu
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Back to the beginning "Come Monday"
Number of Concerts: 60
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything z-man makes..

Post by Conolulu »

sjlmk wrote:The old Palladium at Carowinds outside Charlotte, NC back in the 1970's. Small outdoor amplitheater at the theme park that would seat about 1,000 people. For $2.00 and a park pass for the day you could get in and see Jimmy with a crowd of at least 200!! Come Monday and Pencil Thin Moustache were the only songs I had ever heard by him back then.

I was there! At Carowinds....Remember it stormed like crazy that night!

And , yeah...Mark Clark Hall, at The Citadel, in Charleston , was a one time thing....They failed to see the humor in WDWGDAS... :lol: :lol:

(I think that was 1975....pretty sure of it..)
flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing

Post by flipflopgirl »

Conolulu wrote:
sjlmk wrote:The old Palladium at Carowinds outside Charlotte, NC back in the 1970's. Small outdoor amplitheater at the theme park that would seat about 1,000 people. For $2.00 and a park pass for the day you could get in and see Jimmy with a crowd of at least 200!! Come Monday and Pencil Thin Moustache were the only songs I had ever heard by him back then.

And , yeah...Mark Clark Hall, at The Citadel, in Charleston , was a one time thing....They failed to see the humor in WDWGDAS... :lol: :lol:

Didn't the kick Jimmy out? or tell him not to come back?!?! :o :lol:
Image "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats." Mark Twain
Bfan53
License to Chill

Post by Bfan53 »

murPH wrote:
SchoolGirlHeart wrote:Waaaay back, JB used to play universities now and then. My first JB show was in 1979, at the Naval Academy.

I know he also played Dickinson College in Carlisle, PA, sometime during that time frame. This information is included in the handbook given out to incoming Freshmen at the school.
Wow, 30 minutes from my house & I missed it!!!!! :o
be at the beach
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: mango daquiri

Post by be at the beach »

flipflopgirl wrote:
Conolulu wrote:

I don't know if they kicked Jimmy out but they kicked us out of the Holiday Inn at the park a number of times. Those were always my favorite concerts. He would always play a couple of shows. My favorite was when we handed out the words to God's Own Drunk and tried to sing it to Jimmy when he wasn't allowed to play it. Wow do I feel old!
Conolulu
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Back to the beginning "Come Monday"
Number of Concerts: 60
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything z-man makes..

Post by Conolulu »

flipflopgirl wrote:
Conolulu wrote:

Yep....They told him to not come back...to The Citadel. The letter is hanging in M'ville in Key West.... :lol:
parrothead216
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Come Monday

Post by parrothead216 »

BigR-KyParrothead wrote:
GumboPirate wrote:Buckeye Lake!! The great mudslide and thunderstorm of ???? (forget the year)...but what a fun time on the lawn with everyone around us sliding down the hill on tarps, blankets, whatever they had!
i was there!

stepped in a mud puddle, and it went up to my knee, lost a flop and walked around the rest of the day bare foot.
Judy and I were there , too!

We were guest of the owner of the venue because of problems the years before(Our seats didn't exist when we got to the venue.) :o :o

The next April he called with complimentary tickets to the show. Told us how to get to Buckeye Lake easily from Cleveland. We drove down into what was 2 hurricanes that came together over southern Ohio at Buckeye Lake.

We weren't going to stay. I went to tell Hank La Conti ,thank you but no thank you, we were going home and promply got stuck up to the axles of the car in mud!!! :o :o A brand new WHITE BUICK! We had to be pulled out by a state of Ohio , wrecker!

He had us park behind the stage on high ground and gave us access to the VIP tent and left us.

For 3 hours of standing and dancing in what was tantamount to a warm shower!

Jimmy came out and said , "I brought Tropical weather to Ohio, 2 hurricanes!" :o :lol: :D :lol: :o

When we left, and were driving home, we stopped at a rest stop to "rest"!
Judy went into the Ladies room and there were 3 young ladies trying to wash off all this mud! Judy said, " oh you saw Jimmy at Buckeye Lake, we were there too. "The girl said OMG why aren't you covered in mud, TOO :lol: :lol:

Oh Jimmy, ALL the good times!

Jimmy did ALL day festival at Buckeye Lake. Capacity was 55,000 people! :o :o They herded you throught turnstiles like cattle!
BUFFETTING: The act of leaving reality and going off to see Jimmy Buffett!

Mr. Webster, we have a NEW definition!
parrothead216
At the Bama Breeze

Post by parrothead216 »

NelliBli, you are right, the Police are no fun at Blossom and that is the reason Jimmy doesn't come back here.

The last time we had really great seats for Jimmy at Blossom, front row center, we got delayed in a sobriety check point! We go into our seats 30 minutes after the show started! :evil: :evil: Jimmy was NOT happy!

The State Police only do the check point going in to the show because the venue would be liable if you were drunk coming out! :evil: :evil:

The actual quote from Jimmy was:"I'll never stop coming to Blossom, we sold out (our shows) here, before we sold out any where else"!

Unfortunately, Jimmy has developed Partimers! :o :o :wink:

An interesting aside, When Blossom used to announce their summer schedule, they never put Jimmy on it! For those dates, they would put, "call the Blossom for details"! Always sold out the show, anyway! :D :D :wink:

CindaBee
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: I Wish Lunch Could Last Forever
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum and Seltzer with lime

Post by CindaBee »

Do any of you Ohio Parrotheads remember Jimmy playing in a small, indoor venue that was "in-the-round" near Cleveland? I SWEAR I remember seeing him in a show there, maybe the 80's? If I recall, he was going through some legal troubles with God's Own Drunk. Or did all that rum in the 80's warp my brain?
parrothead216
At the Bama Breeze

Post by parrothead216 »

CindaBee wrote:Do any of you Ohio Parrotheads remember Jimmy playing in a small, indoor venue that was "in-the-round" near Cleveland? I SWEAR I remember seeing him in a show there, maybe the 80's? If I recall, he was going through some legal troubles with God's Own Drunk. Or did all that rum in the 80's warp my brain?
CindaBee,

We were there too! The Front Row Theater! In Highland Heights, Ohio!

It was February and it rained!!!!! Jimmy came out in a Yellow Rain Slicker

and it was just the "Beach Band" as they call it today! 1980 or 81!

So if it was the Rum warping brains, It warped Judy and mine tooo! :wink: :wink:
Last edited by parrothead216 on April 7, 2008 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

CindaBee
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: I Wish Lunch Could Last Forever
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum and Seltzer with lime

Post by CindaBee »

parrothead216 wrote:
CindaBee wrote:Do any of you Ohio Parrotheads remember Jimmy playing in a small, indoor venue that was "in-the-round" near Cleveland? I SWEAR I remember seeing him in a show there, maybe the 80's? If I recall, he was going through some legal troubles with God's Own Drunk. Or did all that rum in the 80's warp my brain?
CindaBee,

We were there too! The Front Row Theather! In Highland Heights, Ohio!

It was February and it rained!!!!! Jimmy came out in a Yellow Rain Slicker

and it was just the "Beach Band" as they call it today! 1980 or 81!

So if it was the Rum warping brains, It warped Judy and mine tooo! :wink: :wink:
OH THANK YOU! I'm so glad I'm not delusional (about this anyway). :oops:
flipflopgirl
Last Man Standing

Post by flipflopgirl »

Conolulu wrote:
flipflopgirl wrote:
Conolulu wrote:

Yep....They told him to not come back...to The Citadel. The letter is hanging in M'ville in Key West.... :lol:

i remembered you telling me that story! i think it was on the day we met HIM when we were sitting outside the Orlando M'ville! 8) :lol:
The Lost Manatee
I Love the Now!

Post by The Lost Manatee »

The Terrace Ballroom in SLC and Dooley's in Tucson are probably my two favorite places that I've seen Jimmy play and to the best of my knowledge, neither one still exists. For big venues, well, I go with Paige, Park West was a pretty amazing show with the moon coming up behind the stage and Robot playing the pans. That was a sweet setting.

I also have fond memories of seeing Jimmy at Compton's Terrace in Tempe in 78 or 79. It was a hot day but a whole lot of fun was had at that show.
Captain Jack's Bar & Grill, Home to the Lost Manatee.

Livin' and dyin' in 3/4 time.
MileHighPirate
Gypsies in the palace

Post by MileHighPirate »

Did anyone go to RED ROCKS back in '89 or '90 for the show there?

He hasn't been back there since, and he has been high atop the list of performers I have wanted to see play there.

Have had the chance to see Willie Nelson, Neil Young, The Dead, Bob Dylan and so many others there, but hoping JB might decide to show up one more time there!
beachmusic
We are the People our Parents Warned us

Post by beachmusic »

The Boarding House in the late 70's in San Francisco was always a great stop.