dave matthews played raleigh last night,& jimmy 2nite mmm??

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

buffettfanforever
Southeast of disorder
Posts: 77
Joined: July 30, 2003 5:10 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: east coast
Contact:

dave matthews played raleigh last night,& jimmy 2nite mmm??

Post by buffettfanforever »

its seems Dave Matthews was playing in Raleigh last night (4/22/09) and will b in charlotte tomorrow nite (4/24/09), could there be a possibility that he will do a song with Jimmy tonight in raleigh?

SharkOnLand
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Posts: 6665
Joined: January 2, 2006 7:34 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Wishing I was somewhere other than here...

Re: dave matthews played raleigh last night,& jimmy 2nite mmm??

Post by SharkOnLand »

I hope not. :)
Image Image

HD18JBGuy
I need two more boat drinks
Posts: 273
Joined: February 21, 2009 12:33 am
Favorite Buffett Song: My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink, and I Don't Love Jesus
Number of Concerts: 24
Location: Chicago

Re: dave matthews played raleigh last night,& jimmy 2nite mmm??

Post by HD18JBGuy »

SharkOnLand wrote:I hope not. :)
Dude, I hope you are joking. If not, than no biggie, but Dave Matthews is one of the best singer-songrwiter performers any of us will see. He is an such an atrtistic guitar player and he has written such good music. He blows Jimmy away in terms of writing and muscial ability. Just listen to #41 at Radio City in 2007...what a great song and a musical genious he is. JB is a great singer-songwriter, but DM blows hiim away. I love Jimmy's carefree music, but in terms of raw musical talent, JB doesn't hold a candle. As much as I love Jimmy, I have mucho respect for a man that can span 7 frets with one hand while singing beautiful lyrics. Jimmy's songs are great, and serve their purpose, but DM is a true musical genious.
"I'm growing older, but not up!"

SMLCHNG
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 175578
Joined: December 6, 2001 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Re: dave matthews played raleigh last night,& jimmy 2nite mmm??

Post by SMLCHNG »

<------ doesn't know that much of DM's musical talents. But I do know that I think his singing ability, um, s u c k s...... But that's just MY opinion.

IrishPirate
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Posts: 6576
Joined: July 28, 2006 9:50 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA and far to many to mention here
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: margaritas, pina coladas, 7&7
Location: Looking for a smooth sea to sail

Re: dave matthews played raleigh last night,& jimmy 2nite mmm??

Post by IrishPirate »

It's OK, he didn't show! :lol:
Image

HD18JBGuy
I need two more boat drinks
Posts: 273
Joined: February 21, 2009 12:33 am
Favorite Buffett Song: My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink, and I Don't Love Jesus
Number of Concerts: 24
Location: Chicago

Re: dave matthews played raleigh last night,& jimmy 2nite mmm??

Post by HD18JBGuy »

SMLCHNG wrote:<------ doesn't know that much of DM's musical talents. But I do know that I think his singing ability, um, s u c k s...... But that's just MY opinion.
Right, because Jimmy's is so good...I love it when non-musicians comment on the talent of a tried and true musician.

I would rather julienne my rod with a rusty tuna can lid than listen to/read such complete and incompetant BS.
"I'm growing older, but not up!"

PhutureMD
I gotta go where it's warm
Posts: 633
Joined: May 20, 2004 9:21 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Farside Of The World
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Beer, Beer, and, um, Beer. And Appleton's!
Location: Living out my second chance

Re: dave matthews played raleigh last night,& jimmy 2nite mmm??

Post by PhutureMD »

HD18JBGuy wrote:
SMLCHNG wrote:<------ doesn't know that much of DM's musical talents. But I do know that I think his singing ability, um, s u c k s...... But that's just MY opinion.
Right, because Jimmy's is so good...I love it when non-musicians comment on the talent of a tried and true musician.

I would rather julienne my rod with a rusty tuna can lid than listen to/read such complete and incompetant BS.

O.K. then. Thanks for playing, we have a lovely version of our home game for you. Oh, and by the way, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.
Live. Love. Laugh. Repeat.

SMLCHNG
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 175578
Joined: December 6, 2001 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Re: dave matthews played raleigh last night,& jimmy 2nite mmm??

Post by SMLCHNG »

HD18JBGuy wrote:
SMLCHNG wrote:<------ doesn't know that much of DM's musical talents. But I do know that I think his singing ability, um, s u c k s...... But that's just MY opinion.
Right, because Jimmy's is so good...I love it when non-musicians comment on the talent of a tried and true musician.
I would rather julienne my rod with a rusty tuna can lid than listen to/read such complete and incompetant BS.
I admitted I didn't know of all of DM's musical talents.
I'm NOT a musician, and never claimed to be one.
Nope, Jimmy is NOT that good at singing, compared to so many others, and never said as much.
I'm not incompetent.
And I'm certainly entitled to MY opinion, just as you are.
Enjoy the tuna. :roll:

surfpirate
Here We Are
Posts: 9696
Joined: April 27, 2001 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98
Location: OBX (Oh how I wish ..... maybe next month)
Contact:

Re: dave matthews played raleigh last night,& jimmy 2nite mmm??

Post by surfpirate »

ImageImage

johnson2113
Hoot!
Posts: 2063
Joined: May 22, 2004 6:29 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying To Reason With Hurricane Season
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark & Stormy, Bourbon & Branch, Bloody Mary
Location: Passed out in my hammock.
Contact:

Re: dave matthews played raleigh last night,& jimmy 2nite mmm??

Post by johnson2113 »

Dave Matthews sucks.
Image

SharkOnLand
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Posts: 6665
Joined: January 2, 2006 7:34 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Wishing I was somewhere other than here...

Re: dave matthews played raleigh last night,& jimmy 2nite mmm??

Post by SharkOnLand »

HD18JBGuy wrote:
SMLCHNG wrote:<------ doesn't know that much of DM's musical talents. But I do know that I think his singing ability, um, s u c k s...... But that's just MY opinion.
Right, because Jimmy's is so good...I love it when non-musicians comment on the talent of a tried and true musician.

I would rather julienne my rod with a rusty tuna can lid than listen to/read such complete and incompetant BS.
Wow, Mr. High-and-mighty "Musician", just because I can't play an instrument doesn't mean I don't know what I like in my music. :roll:
Image Image

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Posts: 64356
Joined: April 24, 2001 8:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Re: dave matthews played raleigh last night,& jimmy 2nite mmm??

Post by LIPH »

Dave Matthews sounds like he's having problems with his lower digestive tract and is trying to squeeze one out. Glad he stayed home, or wherever he was, last night.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

springparrot
Last Man Standing
Posts: 169651
Joined: April 28, 2001 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: what time of day is it????
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Mudslide, Strawberry Margarita
Location: Don't Mess With TEXAS

Re: dave matthews played raleigh last night,& jimmy 2nite mmm??

Post by springparrot »

SMLCHNG wrote:
HD18JBGuy wrote:
SMLCHNG wrote:<------ doesn't know that much of DM's musical talents. But I do know that I think his singing ability, um, s u c k s...... But that's just MY opinion.
Right, because Jimmy's is so good...I love it when non-musicians comment on the talent of a tried and true musician.
I would rather julienne my rod with a rusty tuna can lid than listen to/read such complete and incompetant BS.
I admitted I didn't know of all of DM's musical talents.
I'm NOT a musician, and never claimed to be one.
Nope, Jimmy is NOT that good at singing, compared to so many others, and never said as much.
I'm not incompetent.
And I'm certainly entitled to MY opinion, just as you are.
Enjoy the tuna. :roll:
Thank you Penny...I agree with YOU!!!

Didn't DM sing Tripping Billies???
I rest my case. :roll:

Capt.Flock
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 23775
Joined: February 9, 2002 7:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: im from the same place Doyle is from :)
Contact:

Re: dave matthews played raleigh last night,& jimmy 2nite mmm??

Post by Capt.Flock »

I think Jimmy and Dave would be awe wait for it





some

:lol:
ImageImage Image

citcat
On a Salty Piece of Land
Posts: 10210
Joined: December 6, 2001 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: margarita
Location: Northwest Tennessee

Re: dave matthews played raleigh last night,& jimmy 2nite mmm??

Post by citcat »

LIPH wrote:Dave Matthews sounds like he's having problems with his lower digestive tract and is trying to squeeze one out. .
OH MY GOSH !!! MY HUSBAND, GARY, SAID THE SAME THING !!!
Can't wait for Cinci !!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Posts: 64356
Joined: April 24, 2001 8:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Re: dave matthews played raleigh last night,& jimmy 2nite mmm??

Post by LIPH »

Dave Matthews joined JB for one song at the Hurricane Katrina bebefit show in 2005. Awful does not begin to describe it.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

LivingOutMy2ndChance
If we weren't all crazy ...
Posts: 519
Joined: August 3, 2006 8:34 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: That's What Livin' Is to Me
Number of Concerts: 24
Favorite Boat Drink: hmmmmm???
Location: G-E-O-R-G-I-A

Re: dave matthews played raleigh last night,& jimmy 2nite mmm??

Post by LivingOutMy2ndChance »

Did you notice that Penny, while she isn't, can actually SPELL incompetent unlike some people!
"Humor is an essential part of our existence" -JB

ph4ever
Last Man Standing
Posts: 50490
Joined: July 31, 2002 1:26 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: CILCIA or OPH
Number of Concerts: 299
Favorite Boat Drink: Rhum with my Chum or beer
Location: Home in the GREAT state of Texas!

Re: dave matthews played raleigh last night,& jimmy 2nite mmm??

Post by ph4ever »

HD18JBGuy wrote:
SMLCHNG wrote:<------ doesn't know that much of DM's musical talents. But I do know that I think his singing ability, um, s u c k s...... But that's just MY opinion.
Right, because Jimmy's is so good...I love it when non-musicians comment on the talent of a tried and true musician.

I would rather julienne my rod with a rusty tuna can lid than listen to/read such complete and incompetant BS.
here

Image
Well...(said in my best Bubba voice) I've been on sabbatical.

Image


I lost my cat :cry: Nevermind I found her!!! [smilie=battingeyes.gif]

HD18JBGuy
I need two more boat drinks
Posts: 273
Joined: February 21, 2009 12:33 am
Favorite Buffett Song: My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink, and I Don't Love Jesus
Number of Concerts: 24
Location: Chicago

Re: dave matthews played raleigh last night,& jimmy 2nite mmm??

Post by HD18JBGuy »

Ok, I am going to man up and give you all an apology, particularly SMLCHNG (you are not incompetent). I think my reply to your opinion, which you are very well entitled to, was a little hasty and unwarranted. I am a Dave Matthews fan as well (not to the same extent as I am a JB fan) and the waters get a little rough in my boxers when people start saying "he sucks". I think it was the context of your message, and that of others, that has me all fired up. I do not, however, apologize for my opinion and have a good arguement as to why I said what I said.

While I am not toting myself to be some great musician, being a musician places us who play into a different scope than the "average Joe", when it comes to music. When I hear things like "they s***", I really take offense to those terms, regardless of my loyalty or personal preference of that artist's music. I feel it is more appropriate to say that one does not like an artist's music, or that a certain song sucks, rather than "they s***". I interpret "s***" as saying that the artist is not talented. People like John Mayer, DM, Eric Clapton, and John Lennon are all very talented musicians and song writers, regardless of whether or not one prefer's their music. It takes a lot of talent and technical ability to put together a song. I don't like Lennon (yep I said it) or Mayer, but I would never say they s***. I just don't care for it.

You may not like his voice, or his songs, or his wuss-lyrics, but some respect should be given to the guy. He explores music from a different angle than many musicians, playing very different chords progressions, in very strange time patterns. Many highly regarded music critics have considered him one of the most advanced and technical song-writers to strike the music seen in the last 30 years. That is pretty impressive.

That being said, I do respect the opinion of those who do not care for his music, and to another poster's point, you do not need to be a musician to know what you like in terms of music. But at the same time, it is kind of like saying Lebron James sucks just because you hate the Cavaliers. My point being, go ahead and play one-on-one with Lebron, and then come back and tell me he sucks. You might not like his dunks, or his shot form, but he doesn't s***...he's good, REAL good. The same can be said for musicians. Show a little respect is all I am saying.

So once again, I extend my apologies to any of those offended by my posting. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I respect that. But, if anyone still thinks he "sucks" after reading this post, which clarifies my views, talk to me after you have several multi-platinum albums and you land your mug shot on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine.
"I'm growing older, but not up!"

The Lost Manatee
I Love the Now!
Posts: 1700
Joined: July 15, 2003 4:14 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Salt Lake City

Re: dave matthews played raleigh last night,& jimmy 2nite mmm??

Post by The Lost Manatee »

HD18JBGuy wrote:
So once again, I extend my apologies to any of those offended by my posting. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I respect that. But, if anyone still thinks he "sucks" after reading this post, which clarifies my views, talk to me after you have several multi-platinum albums and you land your mug shot on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine.
I was mostly with you until you threw this paragraph in there. Your argument here would mean that Britney Spears or Jessica Simpson are in the same category as the likes of John Lennon, Muddy Waters, Stevie Wonder or a host of other extremely talented musicians. Just because someone has platinum albums and/or gets on the cover Rolling Stone, doesn't make them a great musician, all it does mean that they have a marketing machine behind them.

I will go on the record as saying the Dave Matthews does some songs I like and some I don't care for, just like any number of other artists and I truly do respect his ability to get up on stage and perform. Just like I respect Ms. Spears and Ms. Simpson for their ability to get up on stage to perform. I don't respect the last two for their ability to sing or write music though, just to entertain. I don't think Dave Matthews is a GREAT songwriter, he is decent and consistent, which is more than I can say for a lot of songwriters. However this is a highly subjective thing, as is any opinion.

BTW, I would disagree that being a musician places your in a different scope than the average joe when it comes to music. Music is an extremely subjective thing, in terms of what appeals to someone. As for how well someone plays, even the average joe can figure that out pretty quickly. Yes, it takes talent to play but that is a combination of dexterity, having a trained ear to hear it and A LOT of work however that doesn't place you in a different place when it comes to listening to someone else perform. As an example, Stevie Ray Vaughan, talented guitarist, sure, okay vocalist and when playing live, tended toward the sloppy side of things. He would drop notes or slide into them. How do I know this? I watched, I listened and I could pick it out. The funny thing is, most musicians that I know said the same thing.

So we will have to disagree on how great Dave Matthews is as a songwriter. I think we can both agree that he is a very good performer. And we will disagree over if being a musician makes you better or even different when it comes to listening to music.
Captain Jack's Bar & Grill, Home to the Lost Manatee.

Livin' and dyin' in 3/4 time.

Post Reply