From Africa to Margaritaville

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Tiki Bar
Thank God the Tiki Torch Still Shines
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour / Tin Cup Chalice medley!
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Friends don't let friends drink tequila! Beer me!

From Africa to Margaritaville

Post by Tiki Bar »

From the BuffettNews news page: http://www.buffettnews.com

Jimmy talks about Ilo Ferreira: Cool read!

And the shirt in the pic is yellow instead of red! Yay! :D

Ilo, whose sound is an upbeat mix of influences from Paul Simon to Elvis, with some African rhythms thrown in, will soon leave Buffett’s tour to play his own dates. “Jimmy is a shortcut I didn’t see coming,” Ilo says, happily. On Fallon, he sang “Let Me Love You,” which he’d played for his visitors in Cape Verde. “But I had it in my mind where I wanted to go. The way I write my songs, I was thinking about the world, not locally. I was making my plans to get there, but Jimmy just made things happen”—he snaps his fingers—“from day to night.”

Read more: Tom Freston and Jimmy Buffett Are Introducing African Singer Ilo Ferreira to America -- New York Magazine http://nymag.com/news/intelligencer/623 ... z0YA9uaXQJ
You’re still grinning, we’re still winning, nothing left to say
I’m still gliding as I go flying down this endless wave
C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: The list is long...
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: my next one....this one's empty

Re: From Africa to Margaritaville

Post by C-Dawg »

the one thing I'm sad to read is Ilo will be leaving the band to do his own thing....bummer. Hopefully, his own thing is opening up for Jimmy and letting us hear a full set of his music as a warm up to Jimmy.

When I saw Ilo with Mac, Nadirah, Doyle & Uncle Jim Labor Day weekend down in VA, he told a story of being in the studio with Jimmy and the engineers, and Jimmy told him to just sing something, so he started singing this song. Afterwards, Jimmy said to Ilo, "You know I wrote that song, right?" and Jimmy had to pull it up on the internet to prove it to Ilo, as he had no idea, and didn't believe him. Ilo told Jimmy he used to song that song to learn English, and he now found it amazing that he is working and playing for the man who wrote it.

Can anyone fill in any of the details I've forgotten? I can't remember which song it was. Jen, Al, Larry??? Hopefully one of you that were there has a better memory than I do, 'cause I thought it was a great story.
ImageImage

HurricaneSeason
If we weren't all crazy ...
Number of Concerts: 299

Post by HurricaneSeason »

Any idea what the song was? That's hilarious!
sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

Jimmy and Ilo did an interview at Bonnaroo in August and mentioned this.
La Vie Dansante was the song.
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"
C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by C-Dawg »

sonofabeach wrote:Jimmy and Ilo did an interview at Bonnaroo in August and mentioned this.
La Vie Dansante was the song.
You're right, it was La Vie Dansante....and he did it as a duet with Nadirah. Thanks for helping to fill in the blanks S.O.B.
ImageImage

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

At the Joe's Pub show Monday night Ilo told a story about how all these people (Jimmy, et al) asked him for his contact information when they met him in Cape Verde because they were going to call him when they got home. He said "I thought, yeah right. They're going to call me." :lol:
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
looking4OPH
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Livingston Saturday Night
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita (frozen, salt); drink, repeat

Post by looking4OPH »

C-Dawg wrote:You're right, it was La Vie Dansante....and he did it as a duet with Nadirah. Thanks for helping to fill in the blanks S.O.B.
That was from the 08/27/09 show in Chicago that he did with Nadirah, the night before the Alpine Valley concert. He talks about that in his intro to the song.

And, Tiki Bar, thanks for the link to the New York Magazine article. I love discovering those behind-the-scenes details to the on-the-stage stuff we mostly only get to see. When we saw Jake Shimabukuro around the same time this summer, he talked to us openly about his connection to Mac and Jimmy. Very cool.
C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by C-Dawg »

looking4OPH wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:You're right, it was La Vie Dansante....and he did it as a duet with Nadirah. Thanks for helping to fill in the blanks S.O.B.
That was from the 08/27/09 show in Chicago that he did with Nadirah, the night before the Alpine Valley concert. He talks about that in his intro to the song.

And, Tiki Bar, thanks for the link to the New York Magazine article. I love discovering those behind-the-scenes details to the on-the-stage stuff we mostly only get to see. When we saw Jake Shimabukuro around the same time this summer, he talked to us openly about his connection to Mac and Jimmy. Very cool.

No, actually I was talking about the show Ilo did with Mac, Nadirah, Doyle and Jim Mayer at the Capital theater in Falls Church VA on the Friday night of Labor Day weekend. There were a couple dozen BNers at the show, and we had a great time.
But, thanks for the link to this other show. :D
ImageImage

looking4OPH
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Livingston Saturday Night
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita (frozen, salt); drink, repeat

Post by looking4OPH »

C-Dawg wrote:No, actually I was talking about the show Ilo did with Mac, Nadirah, Doyle and Jim Mayer at the Capital theater in Falls Church VA on the Friday night of Labor Day weekend. There were a couple dozen BNers at the show, and we had a great time.
But, thanks for the link to this other show. :D [/color]
Singer tells the same story between songs at different shows. Now who else do I know that does that? :o
C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by C-Dawg »

looking4OPH wrote:
C-Dawg wrote:No, actually I was talking about the show Ilo did with Mac, Nadirah, Doyle and Jim Mayer at the Capital theater in Falls Church VA on the Friday night of Labor Day weekend. There were a couple dozen BNers at the show, and we had a great time.
But, thanks for the link to this other show. :D [/color]
Singer tells the same story between songs at different shows. Now who else do I know that does that? :o
:lol: :lol: :lol: ...Mac did the same thing that night, telling jokes he had told at previous shows..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

ImageImage

SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

<------ wishes those of us in other parts of the country would have a chance to see these people/musicians. :(
C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by C-Dawg »

SMLCHNG wrote:<------ wishes those of us in other parts of the country would have a chance to see these people/musicians. :(
I hear ya Penny.....just as I wish peter Mayer was bringing his show to New England. All I can tell you is to email your local venues, and tell them the shows you'd like to see. I did that last spring when Jake was touring New England, and lo and behold, our local venue here in Vermont booked him, and we went to see him a few days before Jimmy played GW.
When I'm watching TV, I tend to surf other artist's websites looking at their schedules, and when someone is in the area (New England) I shoot off an email. Give it a shot....ya never know when it'll work.
ImageImage

Tiki Bar
Thank God the Tiki Torch Still Shines
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour / Tin Cup Chalice medley!
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Friends don't let friends drink tequila! Beer me!

Post by Tiki Bar »

SMLCHNG wrote:<------ wishes those of us in other parts of the country would have a chance to see these people/musicians. :(
I wish you would too Penny, and others in the same boat. I've actually gotten to where I prefer these shows over the Jimmy concert, and wish everyone could get the chance to enjoy them.

I am definitely spoiled that we get so many options, when so many other places don't get any. I didn't get to the Ilo with Nadirah show mentioned above, which was the Thursday before Alpine in Chicago, because I was going the next night to Nadirah, Mr Utley, and Doyle with the Boat Drunks in WI. And the one I chose meant missing Mac in Chicago, which conflicted the same night. :( (I'm pretty sure that also included Ilo.)

I thank my lucky stars for all of the opportunities to enjoy such great music, and look forward to my first Ilo.
You’re still grinning, we’re still winning, nothing left to say
I’m still gliding as I go flying down this endless wave
SMLCHNG

Post by SMLCHNG »

C-Dawg wrote: I hear ya Penny.....just as I wish peter Mayer was bringing his show to New England. All I can tell you is to email your local venues, and tell them the shows you'd like to see.
I was happy to see Peter coming this December.. just wish we had the opportunity to see other artists. :)

We have a lot of places folks could play. (Almost too many :o ) :)

http://www.coloradolinks.net/Colorado_B ... venues.htm

http://www.denver.com/nightlife/live-music-clubs.html
SMLCHNG

Post by SMLCHNG »

Tiki Bar wrote: I wish you would too Penny, and others in the same boat. I've actually gotten to where I prefer these shows over the Jimmy concert, and wish everyone could get the chance to enjoy them.
:) Us too, JoAnn!!
hawaiiboy
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 5

Post by hawaiiboy »

looking4OPH wrote:

you can here the whole show over at SpoonerRadio...
more info here
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68731&start=120
No act of kindness
no matter how small
is ever wasted
spoonerhizolehound
Hoot!

Post by spoonerhizolehound »

looking4OPH wrote:

SERIOUSLY??!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:evil:

I am well aware that people know how to record but when you record music that I have been given exclusive rights to record and broadcast from each individual artist and then make it available for download...you cross lines.
You could have directed everyone to go to SpoonerRadio to listen to the show.
However, you didn't.
You took music that was promised by me to Ilo and his management that would not be made available for download and made it available for download.
That's NOT cool!
You are screwing Ilo, screwing me and jeopardizing what I do.

I go to great lengths to bring this music to everyone and have a great reputation amongst artists and their management.
PLEASE do not make my EXCLUSIVE content available for download.
It is easily available to listen to anytime by going to SpoonerRadio.

I set SpoonerRadio up so that everyone can enjoy it at their leisure as opposed to a specific time.
looking4OPH...what you did is f**** up. :-?
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

Got my issue of New York magazine in the mail today. Too bad they didn't write that article a week sooner, I could have brought it to Joe's Pub last Monday and asked Ilo to sign it for me.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here