Our discussion board has been updated to a newer version. If you have a problem with viewing try clearing your browser's cache and refresh.

Radio Margaritaville Version 2.0

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Post Reply
Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm
Posts: 5140
Joined: December 11, 2008 5:21 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: "I Have Found Me a Home"
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark 'n Stormy
Location: Somewhere Between Newport, RI & Key West, FL

Radio Margaritaville Version 2.0

Post by Bfan53again » May 9, 2010 6:03 pm

I listen to RM daily and really enjoy the station, especially the live concerts during the summer season. Many thanks to JB, all the DJs, and everyone involved in its existence. I can get a bit tired at repeated playlists, but that's certainly not unique to RM....... :o

Like any listener sometimes I wonder what I'd do if I were in charge of RM programming. If I were I'd try to include the following:
> Buffett Buffet - Studio Cuts: Here I'd dispense with the various live versions and just enjoy the "originals" as first recorded by JB
> Reefer Madness Hour: Songs by members of the CRB as well as the many "honorary" band members from over the years (Billy Payne, Henry Kapono, etc.)
> Tales from Margaritaville: Recorded interviews with Jimmy talking about his life, his music, his travels, whatever he wants to talk about!
> Fruitcakes/Guest DJs: I have enjoyed the recently added "Fruitcakes on the Radio". I figured why not allow listeners to expand on this format and be guest DJs for longer times when RM DJs are not regularly scheduled (Saturday/Sunday mornings, for example). And let them play music other than JB, too.
> Live Concert Tailgates: Have RM DJs or others local DJs broadcast live from the tailgates of each JB concert site. Talk with Parrotheads, have contests for best tailgate setup with prizes, give traffic reports, etc. The sky's the limit......

Anybody else have any ideas? Maybe the people at RM will even consider some of our ideas for future programming......we can hope! :pirate:
On most days I say: "Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...."
Sometimes I can only say: "There is no dumbass vaccine......"

If something or someone gets you down, just remember: "In a hundred years it all won’t matter.........."

BGunn
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Posts: 34
Joined: August 5, 2008 2:13 pm

Re: Radio Margaritaville Version 2.0

Post by BGunn » May 9, 2010 8:42 pm

I love your ideas. I listen to a lot of Kenny Chesney's No Shoes Radio network and he has a lot of live stuff from him as well as other great artists like Steve Miller doing not only their songs but songs they like. It's like they are sitting on the bus or around a bar just playing around. I would love to hear some stuff like that Jimmy and the Reefers. It would be fun to hear Jimmy, Mac and P. Mayer just strumming and experimenting with different sounds. Not that I want Jimmy to start copying Kenny but it's a really neat thing on NSR.

Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm
Posts: 5140
Joined: December 11, 2008 5:21 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: "I Have Found Me a Home"
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark 'n Stormy
Location: Somewhere Between Newport, RI & Key West, FL

Re: Radio Margaritaville Version 2.0

Post by Bfan53again » May 10, 2010 5:48 am

BGunn wrote:I love your ideas. I listen to a lot of Kenny Chesney's No Shoes Radio network and he has a lot of live stuff from him as well as other great artists like Steve Miller doing not only their songs but songs they like. It's like they are sitting on the bus or around a bar just playing around. I would love to hear some stuff like that Jimmy and the Reefers. It would be fun to hear Jimmy, Mac and P. Mayer just strumming and experimenting with different sounds. Not that I want Jimmy to start copying Kenny but it's a really neat thing on NSR.
I just figure that any radio station must continue to evolve and remain "fresh" for its listeners......and you're right about NSR! :pirate:
On most days I say: "Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...."
Sometimes I can only say: "There is no dumbass vaccine......"

If something or someone gets you down, just remember: "In a hundred years it all won’t matter.........."

conched
Last Man Standing
Posts: 31386
Joined: June 26, 2001 8:00 pm

Re: Radio Margaritaville Version 2.0

Post by conched » May 10, 2010 9:39 am

I gotta say that the only time I have listened to RM lately is on concert nights and while in my car and on my walks.

Jimmy has given us so much good music that I have listened to CMT Crossroads and Encores every day and have been listening to the older studio albums a lot more like Off To See The Lizard and Hot Water and Riddles in the Sand.

I have to say that the music and commentary on concert days is still stellar and fills in the GAP of not being there.

phinhead
Overkill
Posts: 1084
Joined: June 4, 2001 8:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Naples, Florida(where it's warm)

Re: Radio Margaritaville Version 2.0

Post by phinhead » May 10, 2010 1:06 pm

It would be cool if they did a Trop-rock hour that featured all of the different Trop-Rock artists such as Sunny Jm, Jim Morris, John Friday, Eric Stone, Kelly McGuire, Mark Mulligan, etc...so many of these artists are very talented singers/songwriters...even thogh they get a little airtime in RM...it would be nice if there were an hour dedicated to them each day.
Phin :pirate:
Bring me the hot sauce, bring me a beer. Going to be the last man standing, but where do you go from here?

springparrot
Last Man Standing
Posts: 168356
Joined: April 28, 2001 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: what time of day is it????
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Mudslide, Strawberry Margarita
Location: Don't Mess With TEXAS

Re: Radio Margaritaville Version 2.0

Post by springparrot » May 10, 2010 1:11 pm

There used to be a segment called "Theme Park". During this time, they would either play music for the hour (?) from the same artist--I remember one from Mac. Or play music with the same theme in the title---sand, beach, etc.
It was a fun segment!!!
As much as I love RM, I miss the old RM.

I also miss the hour long Feats at Five---15 minutes just isn't enough time and I miss the 'off the board' part of the show. :cry:

TropicalTroubador
Hoot!
Posts: 2746
Joined: July 28, 2003 8:47 pm
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in front of me.
Location: By the San Francisco Bay, CA
Contact:

Re: Radio Margaritaville Version 2.0

Post by TropicalTroubador » May 10, 2010 1:58 pm

Actually, those of us with long memories would probably call this "RM 3.0," given that the format went through some fairly substantial changes when RM got picked up by Sirius. :)

Other than that, I like a lot of the ideas y'all are coming up with.

For that matter, maybe NSR will end up having a Trop Rock radio hour sooner than RM? :)
Living my life on Island Standard Time...
Island Standard Time - the new Trop Rock album from Loren Davidson - now available!

http://www.lorendavidson.com

changingchannels
License to Chill
Posts: 1278
Joined: September 18, 2002 1:37 am
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: Long Island

Re: Radio Margaritaville Version 2.0

Post by changingchannels » May 10, 2010 3:53 pm

"Jimmy, Inside the Albums" - Jimmy reflects back on the songs and stories behind the albums.
"I enjoy this life as a jester
Seems to keep me moving around
Like the wind that blows, tides that flow
I have my ups and downs"

Bob Roberts
Behind Door #3
Posts: 3200
Joined: April 22, 2003 10:43 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: cold
Location: Rocky Top TN

Re: Radio Margaritaville Version 2.0

Post by Bob Roberts » May 10, 2010 9:57 pm

changingchannels wrote:"Jimmy, Inside the Albums" - Jimmy reflects back on the songs and stories behind the albums.
Oooo...I like that idea!
Image
"The sound of the weather is Heaven's ragtime band."

chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land
Posts: 11221
Joined: January 10, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: In the cheap hotels and bars
Contact:

Re: Radio Margaritaville Version 2.0

Post by chippewa » May 10, 2010 10:09 pm

Bfan53again wrote: > Reefer Madness Hour: Songs by members of the CRB as well as the many "honorary" band members from over the years (Billy Payne, Henry Kapono, etc.) They used to do this, the Coral Reefer Madness hour in pre-Sirius days. Wish they'd bring it back.
> Tales from Margaritaville: Recorded interviews with Jimmy talking about his life, his music, his travels, whatever he wants to talk about! Not Jimmy but the old Tales of Bubba Whartz were pretty good.
> Fruitcakes/Guest DJs: I have enjoyed the recently added "Fruitcakes on the Radio". I figured why not allow listeners to expand on this format and be guest DJs for longer times when RM DJs are not regularly scheduled (Saturday/Sunday mornings, for example). And let them play music other than JB, too. RM used to have guest DJs for an entire hour. Pre-Sirius too, of course.

Snowparrot
Under My Lone Palm
Posts: 5604
Joined: August 20, 2003 10:20 am
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: **Free**
Location: Ottawa Canada
Contact:

Re: Radio Margaritaville Version 2.0

Post by Snowparrot » May 10, 2010 11:49 pm

Yup. Lots of those good ideas sound like the way RM was when it started.

But let's not bring back the 8 hours of programming that was repeated 3 times, or even more, through the day and following week....

Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm
Posts: 5140
Joined: December 11, 2008 5:21 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: "I Have Found Me a Home"
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark 'n Stormy
Location: Somewhere Between Newport, RI & Key West, FL

Re: Radio Margaritaville Version 2.0

Post by Bfan53again » May 11, 2010 6:30 am

chippewa wrote:
Bfan53again wrote: > Reefer Madness Hour: Songs by members of the CRB as well as the many "honorary" band members from over the years (Billy Payne, Henry Kapono, etc.) They used to do this, the Coral Reefer Madness hour in pre-Sirius days. Wish they'd bring it back.
> Tales from Margaritaville: Recorded interviews with Jimmy talking about his life, his music, his travels, whatever he wants to talk about! Not Jimmy but the old Tales of Bubba Whartz were pretty good.
> Fruitcakes/Guest DJs: I have enjoyed the recently added "Fruitcakes on the Radio". I figured why not allow listeners to expand on this format and be guest DJs for longer times when RM DJs are not regularly scheduled (Saturday/Sunday mornings, for example). And let them play music other than JB, too. RM used to have guest DJs for an entire hour. Pre-Sirius too, of course.
I didn't listen to RM when on the internet (pre-Sirius) that much. I had an old PC, slow processor, etc. Maybe my "psychic" powers are allowing me a glimpse into the "way things used to be"........ :o

And I certainly agree that a regular segment featuring other trop rock artists would be most welcome! :pirate:
On most days I say: "Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...."
Sometimes I can only say: "There is no dumbass vaccine......"

If something or someone gets you down, just remember: "In a hundred years it all won’t matter.........."

Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm
Posts: 5140
Joined: December 11, 2008 5:21 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: "I Have Found Me a Home"
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark 'n Stormy
Location: Somewhere Between Newport, RI & Key West, FL

Re: Radio Margaritaville Version 2.0

Post by Bfan53again » May 13, 2010 6:09 am

springparrot wrote:There used to be a segment called "Theme Park". During this time, they would either play music for the hour (?) from the same artist--I remember one from Mac. Or play music with the same theme in the title---sand, beach, etc.
It was a fun segment!!!
As much as I love RM, I miss the old RM.

I also miss the hour long Feats at Five---15 minutes just isn't enough time and I miss the 'off the board' part of the show. :cry:
Wish I understood how much influence Sirius/XM corporate has in dictating programming for each channel in their lineup...... [smilie=grrrrrr.gif]

I mean subscribers are paying for this service so why would they care??????

Just curious.......
On most days I say: "Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...."
Sometimes I can only say: "There is no dumbass vaccine......"

If something or someone gets you down, just remember: "In a hundred years it all won’t matter.........."

aeroparrot
Last Man Standing
Posts: 72647
Joined: June 17, 2005 7:36 am
Number of Concerts: 42
Location: Just like living in Paradise
Contact:

Re: Radio Margaritaville Version 2.0

Post by aeroparrot » May 13, 2010 6:27 am

changingchannels wrote:"Jimmy, Inside the Albums" - Jimmy reflects back on the songs and stories behind the albums.
How about including the other reefers as well? They do the "Inside the Albums" for their solo stuff.
If you want an experience, go to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Life is short, live long!!

I'd rather be a wiseass than a dumbass.

Image

Post Reply