Impressions of the Show in Bristow--That Rhymes!

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

capnbobby
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season
Number of Concerts: 28
Favorite Boat Drink: Bacardi 8 anos

Impressions of the Show in Bristow--That Rhymes!

Post by capnbobby »

Margret and I listened to the show from Bristow Saturday night on RM. I thought it was a very special show. First, I love this new format that Jimmy and the Coral Reefers are doing, playing straight through without a break. Second, they played two songs Saturday where I literally stopped and said, "Oh, my God! I can't believe he's playing this! "Brahma Fear" and "It's My Job." Closing with "He Went to Paris" is also pretty strong.

Things I'm hoping for:

1. They continue this new format.
2. They continue breaking out some gems like the two above.
3. They announce, in the weeks and months to come, some winter dates for Florida. I'm hoping for Orlando.

Please feel invited to add your thoughts to this post.

Fins Up!
capnbobby

PS Thank God it's football season!
tigzoe
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: It's My Job
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with alcohol

Re: Impressions of the Show in Bristow--That Rhymes!

Post by tigzoe »

I just re-listened to part of the show while mowing the lawn. I agree on all accounts except the winter tour (sorry, live in Maine, no chance for me making it back to Florida for a show).

I think the new format works great! Most of the band get a break during the acoustic songs, then Jimmy gets a break during Creola.

I also love the fact that he is pulling out some oldies and goodies. SWKBH might be the popular choices, but the oldies are goodies to a lot of the fans.

I guess He Went to Paris was a no brainer since that is where he is heading next stop.

Darn good show!
"That which is around me does not affect my mood; my mood affects that which is around me."
jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Post by jbfinscj »

I was at the show, easily one of his best
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays

streetsweeper
Favorite Buffett Song: If the Phone Doesn;t Ring
Number of Concerts: 2

Post by streetsweeper »

What a great show! I want to thank all the critterville bunch for such great hospitality and love. Skoolgirl and Auntie, thanks for keeping us posted and leading the way to a great group. Stay happy! Will will definately do Cinci next year. Conolulu, your are the sweetest thang south of the manson nixon line. Mwahh! to all. The weather was there, and all were beautiful! Loved the police direction sign on the highway saying "I-66, Fins to the Left" !!
Conolulu
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Back to the beginning "Come Monday"
Number of Concerts: 60
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything z-man makes..

Post by Conolulu »

streetsweeper wrote:What a great show! I want to thank all the critterville bunch for such great hospitality and love. Skoolgirl and Auntie, thanks for keeping us posted and leading the way to a great group. Stay happy! Will will definately do Cinci next year. Conolulu, your are the sweetest thang south of the manson nixon line. Mwahh! to all. The weather was there, and all were beautiful! Loved the police direction sign on the highway saying "I-66, Fins to the Left" !!

:wink:

Now get over here and show us your pictures... :lol:

**MUAH**

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=81086&start=1000
C-Dawg
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: The list is long...
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: my next one....this one's empty

Post by C-Dawg »

I got the chance to talk to Michael Utley during the Great Woods shows, and told him how much I enjoyed Jimmy letting some of the Coral Reefers take lead vocals on the songs. Not only did Mac sing "Back where I come From", Nadirah sing "Creola" and Peter do some of the vocals in "Where the Boat Leaves From" but Jimmy did a duet of "Trip Around the Sun" with Tina that was really good that weekend. I also told him I loved that they were playing some oldies that hadn't been played in awhile.
He told me that he was glad people were noticing, and to expect more of the same the rest of the tour.
What a great tour it's been.....now I'm ready for him to start releasing some spring dates.....or show up at MoTM :wink:
ImageImage

tigzoe
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with alcohol

Post by tigzoe »

streetsweeper wrote:What a great show! I want to thank all the critterville bunch for such great hospitality and love. Skoolgirl and Auntie, thanks for keeping us posted and leading the way to a great group. Stay happy! Will will definately do Cinci next year. Conolulu, your are the sweetest thang south of the manson nixon line. Mwahh! to all. The weather was there, and all were beautiful! Loved the police direction sign on the highway saying "I-66, Fins to the Left" !!
That is awesome!
"That which is around me does not affect my mood; my mood affects that which is around me."
phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: coconut rum and...anything!

Post by phjrsaunt »

Hmmmmm....a new BN'er....guessing I ate dinner with you Friday night? [smilie=battingeyes.gif]

My love is staying an anchor tied to you with that silver chain.
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

capnbobby wrote:I love this new format that Jimmy and the Coral Reefers are doing, playing straight through without a break.
There have been about 20 shows since the Under The Big Top tour started in April. I think Saturday at The Lube was the second time they played straight through without an intermission. I wouldn't call that a trend.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: coconut rum and...anything!

Post by phjrsaunt »

Ya never know....RadioMargaritaville started broadcasting here, and that turned out pretty good. [smilie=battingeyes.gif] All trends have to start somewhere [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]

My love is staying an anchor tied to you with that silver chain.
urlcenter
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 6

Post by urlcenter »

LIPH wrote:
capnbobby wrote:I love this new format that Jimmy and the Coral Reefers are doing, playing straight through without a break.
There have been about 20 shows since the Under The Big Top tour started in April. I think Saturday at The Lube was the second time they played straight through without an intermission. I wouldn't call that a trend.
There are usually two reasons Jimmy plays straight through instead of two sets with a break in between.

Reason 1: Bad weather during the show or forecast for during a show.
Reason 2: Venue curfew rules.

I saw Jimmy at Great Woods in 2005 and he cut the number of encores from 3 to 2 due to the venue having a curfew.
ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

LIPH wrote:

once again, we totally agree--and especially since Thursday's show, in between the two "no intermission" shows, had an intermission.
"I finally know what Michael Jordan was talking about when he said he was 'in the zone'"
Jimmy Buffett, 9/4/05, Wrigley Field
SkoolGrl<3
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: today: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: if it's got rum or tequila, gimme it!!!

Post by SkoolGrl<3 »

It was a fantastic show! I wish we had been in our Thursday seats for the Saturday show... the folks in our section Saturday weren't nearly as lively and into it as the ones around us Thursday.

I have to agree "It's My Job" and "He Went to Paris" in one show... so awesome.
"She's cute when she drunk dials - odd combination of cute, sappy sweet, and curse like a sailor all in one." -Surfpirate

surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Post by surfpirate »

urlcenter wrote:
LIPH wrote:
There are usually two reasons Jimmy plays straight through instead of two sets with a break in between.

I saw Jimmy at Great Woods in 2005 and he cut the number of encores from 3 to 2 due to the venue having a curfew.
Musta been a 3rd reason for the Saturday show not having an intermission ... 'cause neither of those applied.
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |
FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Post by FunkHouse9 »

surfpirate wrote:
urlcenter wrote:
LIPH wrote:

Musta been a 3rd reason for the Saturday show not having an intermission ... 'cause neither of those applied.
I was really hopeful that meant he was going to play through till 11:00. No such luck.
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.
allucaneatbuffett
I have found me a home

Post by allucaneatbuffett »

I can't agree more. Saturday night at Jiffy Lube Live (formerly Nissan) was absolutely incredible. I have been to about 25 shows, and this one was just special. There have been shows in the past where perhaps he was just going through the motions in the middle of a long summer tour. I think this being the last show of the summer tour helped.

But Saturday was great. The weather was fantastic. The tailgate was awesome. And our seats were dead center 5 rows back from Orchestra. He was on his game. And I do like the fact that there was no intermission. Although technically there was since he left the stage while Nadira sang Creola, which was great. Great set list too. He also mentioned twice that he sees no reason to retire. he's having too much fun!!! How great is that...

We had a couple with us that had never been to JB before. They can't stop talking about it.

Let me also add that we were out of the parking lot in less than 5 minutes, which is quite an accomplishment for that place. The new road in and out was a big help...

Can't wait for next year!!
Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: "I Have Found Me a Home"
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark 'n Stormy

Post by Bfan53again »

I agree that the Saturday concert was an excellent show......one of the best I've had the pleasure of attending! [smilie=coolup.gif] The reasons:
> Perfect weather
> Good energy in the crowd and on stage (Jimmy seemed to be especially enjoying this show......)
> Great pace during the show
> Loved the "non-intermission"
> Very good setlist (hearing Jimmy do an acoustic "Brahma Fear" was special and Mac's "Back Where I Come From" is really starting to catch my ear......)
> Enjoyed the pics/videos that created the backdrop for the band, especially B.O.'s Fishwagon and Pepe's from Key West......)

Thanks to JB and the Reefers for the music and the memories.....see you next year! :pirate:
On most days I say: "Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...."
Sometimes I can only say: "There is no dumbass vaccine......"

If something or someone gets you down, just remember: "In a hundred years it all won’t matter.........."
Parrothead27330
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: This week.......Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Jumbie....of course

Post by Parrothead27330 »

Let me also add that we were out of the parking lot in less than 5 minutes, which is quite an accomplishment for that place. The new road in and out was a big help...
We must not have been at the same show! On the other hand I enjoyed the post show company, Until the cops came around saying "allright everybody get a move on. We can't go home until this place is clear". I looked over to the lines still backed up to get out and thought to myself what is the hurry.

FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Post by FunkHouse9 »

I enjoyed the show a lot, but honestly I didn't think it was anything terribly special compared to any others I've been to. It was cool to hear Brahma Fear, but it isn't one of those gems that I'd just jump out of my pants when he pulls it out of the closet. I think it's cool that I was at a show that so many people think was special, but I didn't leave feeling that way at all. I'm embarassed to say I'd rather have heard more songs off of Buffet Hotel than what we got. The typical covers bothered me more this year than they usually do. For the first time, I started to wonder if it's really worth going EVERY year.
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.
Tarheel Tail-Gator
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks at 40, Migration, Cowboy in the Jungle,,,,,,
Favorite Boat Drink: Zaya, with Lime and 1 ice cube

Post by Tarheel Tail-Gator »

FunkHouse9 wrote:I enjoyed the show a lot, but honestly I didn't think it was anything terribly special compared to any others I've been to. It was cool to hear Brahma Fear, but it isn't one of those gems that I'd just jump out of my pants when he pulls it out of the closet. I think it's cool that I was at a show that so many people think was special, but I didn't leave feeling that way at all. I'm embarassed to say I'd rather have heard more songs off of Buffet Hotel than what we got. The typical covers bothered me more this year than they usually do. For the first time, I started to wonder if it's really worth going EVERY year.
Was it too much tequila or not quite enough? :pirate: