Doctors peer in to Jimmys head , Verdict : No Parrot

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

creeky
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: non drinker ;o)

Doctors peer in to Jimmys head , Verdict : No Parrot

Post by creeky »

(that was the fair dinkum heading in the paper - I was lol on the train like an idiot [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif] make sure you read the last line - very good to hear!! :lol: )

THINGS started to go wrong at Jimmy Buffett's last Sydney concert long before he fell off the stage and cut his head open after his final encore. The bar ran out of margaritas while the audience was still entering the Hordern Pavilion and, by intermission, the Bundy and Coke was gone, too.

How could promoter Michael Chugg let the bar run dry of margaritas when one of Buffett's signature songs is Margaritaville and, as for running out of rum, what did he think the parrot-headed pirates were going to drink when the tequila ran out?

Atrocious booze management aside, Buffett delivered an outstanding show to his parrot-capped fans who sang and danced as the barefooted singer-sailor skipped around his Coral Reefer Band. More impressively, the mature audience was relaxed, there were no brawls and queues for the diminishing liquor stocks remained orderly.

(Calling an audience of Buffett parrot-heads mature is an act of kindness. Notable among those waving walking sticks were international yachtsman Chas-the-Tas Blundell, of indeterminate age, and vintage sailor Don Mickleborough, who has clocked up 34 Sydney-Hobarts in his 86 years).

Buffett's fall was a frightening finale to the Australia Day show.

Dr Gordian Fulde, the director of emergency services at St Vincent's, was in the front row when Buffett appeared to move forward to reach out to an audience member and took his unfortunate swallow dive on to a metal stanchion holding a rail between the stage and the audience.

Fulde said: "I could hear the particular thunk when his head hit and I thought he'd broken his neck. He fell awkwardly, rotating, I thought he was done for. He was deeply unconscious, totally pale, white, and quite unresponsive. His head seemed twisted and he was bleeding copiously, as you do from head wounds."

Fulde treated Buffett at the scene and rode with him in the ambulance to St Vincent's, where he stitched up the gash in the 64-year-old entertainer's scalp, then watched on as a neuro-surgeon ran a brain scan.

The doctor, who was not wearing a colourful Florida or Hawaiian shirt, and did not have a parrot perched on his head, has been a Buffett fan since the days of vinyl records, his favourite song being Pencil Thin Moustache.

Fulde gave Buffett a further scan yesterday before releasing him to continue his tour to New Zealand - after reassuringly finding a very healthy brain.
KruzinParrots
Behind Door #3
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Pirates Punch

Re: Doctors peer in to Jimmys head , Verdict : No Parrot

Post by KruzinParrots »

Jenny THANKS for posting this!! You've done an excellent job of keep us all informed when we needed it the most. You have been such a comfort to all of us who were so terribly worried. Thank You!!
Find Your Passion and Make It Happen
creeky
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: non drinker ;o)

Post by creeky »

no worries- but is the fact he found a "healthy brain" considering the lifestyle Jimmy leads - mean that alcohol does not destroy brain cells? :lol: :lol: :lol:
tigzoe
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: It's My Job
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with alcohol

Post by tigzoe »

Thanks for the interview! I am glad to see that a fan was able to score a front row seat. Healthy brain..hhmmmm. Guess that is a good reason to keep drinking. Good thing they didn't need to check the liver
"That which is around me does not affect my mood; my mood affects that which is around me."
Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: "I Have Found Me a Home"
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark 'n Stormy

Post by Bfan53again »

creeky wrote:no worries- but is the fact he found a "healthy brain" considering the lifestyle Jimmy leads - mean that alcohol does not destroy brain cells? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks again, Jenny....and this may be the first actual proof that long-term drinking may, in fact, strengthen brain cells! :o :roll: :wink: :pirate:
On most days I say: "Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...."
Sometimes I can only say: "There is no dumbass vaccine......"

If something or someone gets you down, just remember: "In a hundred years it all won’t matter.........."
dnw
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by dnw »

creeky wrote:no worries- but is the fact he found a "healthy brain" considering the lifestyle Jimmy leads - mean that alcohol does not destroy brain cells? :lol: :lol: :lol:

:D :D :D

Debbie
Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

T H E    B U F F A L O    T H E O R Y

A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it’s the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of alcohol eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

And that is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."
Karacal
Party at the End of the World
Number of Concerts: 31
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Diet Coke

Post by Karacal »

LOL at the headline!! So happy we are able to laugh now. Thanks for sharing!!
Barbara

Image Image
citcat
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: margarita

Post by citcat »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
     T H E    B U F F A L O    T H E O R Y

A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it’s the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of alcohol eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

And that is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

And prettier. 8) :lol:
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.