THAT SUCKED!

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Cubbie Bear
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate/40
Number of Concerts: 31

Re: THAT SUCKED!

Post by Cubbie Bear »

Threads like this are why I so seldom come around after nearly 14000 dumb ass comments by me
"Boat drinks, waitress we........nevermind"

He ain't wrong he's just different
but his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

Tara1023
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark & Stormy

Post by Tara1023 »

I've been to over 10 JB shows, and that's the only show I've had any sort of problem with (if you even want to call that a problem). I'd say that's a pretty good record! I was more upset with the parking than the technical issues. Heck, there was a pretty nasty storm rolling in. I was happy to be home before it hit! Also, the weather was GREAT up until the lightning started! With all the rain we had Saturday, we got lucky!! I will still count it as one of my favorite nights of the summer!

Most importantly...NO "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"!!!!!!!! We should be celebrating that, people!!
I wanna be there...

maid memories
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Savannah Fare You Well
Number of Concerts: 19

Post by maid memories »

Was it an ideal show? No, but it's live and it's real. Was it an ideal tailgate? Sure thing. The power being blown wasn't anything Buffett did. I doubt he gave some hand signal indicating he was tired and had somebody flip a switch. They were better ending it when they did rather than risk blowing it again with a few more numbers. We were lucky Saturday and the storm clouds blowing in provided us with shade from the sun, lower temperatures, a breeze and the occasional light mist to cool us off. We were surrounded by good food, good company and good drink. Buffett merriment the way it should be.

Stuff happens. For anybody that complained that the show sucked, I suggest you bring your iPod next year, put your earbuds in and play your own setlist. Or better yet, stay home, set up a tailgate in your backyard and stream the show for free (how many artists do that, anyway?) As for myself, I love that he kept playing, even acoustically, when the sound went out. The whole crowd was singing along and it was fun. I got to hear Jolly Mon, Schoolboy and (even though I know some of you hate it) God's Own Drunk, which was one of the first things I fell in love with when I started listening to Buffett and I've been waiting patiently for it since then. I was jumping up and down and squealing with glee. The people complaining that it was bad are probably friends with the guy two seats down who proclaimed that this was his 6th time seeing Buffett (always at Toyota) and that the show sucked from beginning to end. He swore God's Own Drunk was the "worst thing ever" and he needed to stop playing "this $hit". He probably cried when he didn't get to hear 5:00. I was crying from the sheer joy of not hearing it.

Crap happens. The weather stayed pleasantly in check considering the forecasts we were all seeing and we had a good show with some fun things that haven't been completely overdone. I got to hang out with some great people and make new friends. My virgin had a great time and I even got the band to sign my concert sarong. All in all it was a pretty perfect day. My only complaint was that I couldn't stay for Ilo and Nadirah yesterday. I've been extremely luck to have been able to travel and see four shows this year. I don't at all take that for granted.
Last edited by maid memories on July 25, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I knew this girl made of memories and phrases, who lived her whole life in both chapters and stages.
Danced 'til the dawn, wished all her worries away.

She's a long way from a West Nashville grand ballroom gown.

nerdboy
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Depends on time of day, time of week...
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Not one to turn down anything

Post by nerdboy »

chippewa wrote:
nerdboy wrote:Hey Jimmy, the west coast still loves ya! [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif] We would be happy with a show without tailgating and electricity!
Seeing Jimmy at a beach bar with just an acoustic guitar would be awesome. No electricity needed. 8)

I'd even print the cue cards, since he wouldn't have a teleprompter. :wink:
It may not be a beach bar, but in the name of being a good parrothead I'd be glad to sacrifice my backyard for the cause (although JB might find the nearest venue more profitable :wink: ).

You've got me thinking that I may have to rewatch the beach portion of the Anguilla DVD before the work day is over. It's part of my at-work in case of emergency kit.

Q: What's a pirate favorite amino acid? A: Arrrrrrrrginine

Tara1023
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark & Stormy

Post by Tara1023 »

I was so, so, so excited to hear "School Boy Heart"!! :oops:
I wanna be there...

momsrule27
Fruitcake
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita!

Post by momsrule27 »

dny808 wrote:WOW! I cannot say how truly disappointed in the concert at Toyota Park I was tonight. I am in no means a 'Rookie' to Jimmy, but WOW THAT SUCKED! Technical difficulties, I will give you slack for, but no encore at all? Seriously! $100 bucks a ticket and there are 10 people seriously contemplating not coming back. Way to just call it in. Should have just but on the greatest hits cd on...

Danny

Hey, thanks for joining BN to give us this in-depth concert review! :roll:
Ciao!
Char

--------------------

MOTM 2011, 2009, 2008, 2005

tristar76
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor

Post by tristar76 »

I was very happy with the setlist. It's not always going to appeal to the "Songs You Know By Heart" sort of fans.

And the sound problem? I thought he dealt very well with it. Tin Cup Chalice was pretty awesome, even up in the stands where I was.

My only nag is that it really wouldn't have been much for him to grab his acoustic and play one more solo song once the sound was back. Yeah, I get that Lovely Cruise would have been the 2nd encore, but that really doesn't do much for those who weren't in the first 10 rows. It's not about 27 vs. 28 vs. whatever number of songs...it's just about the way I'm used to the show ending.

That being said, of course I'll be back next year! :D

maid memories
Hoot!

Post by maid memories »

tristar76 wrote:I was very happy with the setlist. It's not always going to appeal to the "Songs You Know By Heart" sort of fans.

And the sound problem? I thought he dealt very well with it. Tin Cup Chalice was pretty awesome, even up in the stands where I was.

My only nag is that it really wouldn't have been much for him to grab his acoustic and play one more solo song once the sound was back. Yeah, I get that Lovely Cruise would have been the 2nd encore, but that really doesn't do much for those who weren't in the first 10 rows. It's not about 27 vs. 28 vs. whatever number of songs...it's just about the way I'm used to the show ending.

That being said, of course I'll be back next year! :D
I agree that would have been nice, but in reality, they could have had the power going with a shoestring at that point. They may have been struggling to hold it together for Southern Cross and BEG. It's hard to know without official word. I think the band, Buffett and the crowd weren't psyched about the situation, but we all dealt with it in style.
I knew this girl made of memories and phrases, who lived her whole life in both chapters and stages.

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched »

Glorfindel7 wrote:I think there were quite a few bands that simply would have walked off the stage, not only did Jimmy stay and play, he interacted quite a bit with the crowd while waiting for the generators to fire up :)
Amen, ya gotta ADMIRE how they always keep on keepin on!

Y'all got a memorable show! What a nice karaoke version of Tin Cup Chalice, huh?

Life is so GRAND!

spark26981
I have found me a home
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by spark26981 »

conched wrote:
Glorfindel7 wrote:I think there were quite a few bands that simply would have walked off the stage, not only did Jimmy stay and play, he interacted quite a bit with the crowd while waiting for the generators to fire up :)
Amen, ya gotta ADMIRE how they always keep on keepin on!

Y'all got a memorable show! What a nice karaoke version of Tin Cup Chalice, huh?

Life is so GRAND!
That's how I'm gonna remember it :)

Our first tailgate with some awesome people...and we got to sing to Jimmy!!! Bet it made him feel good to hear us all singing back at him. And we got to hear some songs that didn't go out on RM...so I guess you DID have to be there :)

We had some virgins sitting beside us and they were having the time of their lives. They had no expectations as to what the concert should be and enjoyed every minute of it.

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

Footnote: I am one of the 2.5 people left in the world who still REALLY LIKE 5 O'Clock Somewhere!! :D :D
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Post by surfpirate »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:Footnote: I am one of the 2.5 people left in the world who still REALLY LIKE 5 O'Clock Somewhere!! :D :D
Footnote 2: Thank you. I have noticed an alarming *elitist* trend where
folks who heap praise on the deep tracks from the 70s albums
look down their noses on anyone who likes anything from the
current days.

Not sure why anyone's preferences should be considered better
than anyone else's preferences. Just differing.
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |

maid memories
Hoot!

Post by maid memories »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:Footnote: I am one of the 2.5 people left in the world who still REALLY LIKE 5 O'Clock Somewhere!! :D :D
I don't hate it, I'm just tired of it. When it came out, it was overplayed on the radio to death, then resurrected, then played to death again. Nashville radio is the su.c.k. I've heard it enough on the radio that can't get excited about it at shows and I'd love to see it replaced with something a little less standard. That being said, I understand wholeheartedly that there are certain songs that have been/are/will be staples and you will hear them at every show. Not complaining. It would do well to note that absence makes the heart grow fonder. [smilie=battingeyes.gif]

tigzoe
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with alcohol

Post by tigzoe »

maid memories wrote:
I don't hate it, I'm just tired of it. When it came out, it was overplayed on the radio to death, then resurrected, then played to death again. Nashville radio is the su.c.k. I've heard it enough on the radio that can't get excited about it at shows and I'd love to see it replaced with something a little less standard. That being said, I understand wholeheartedly that there are certain songs that have been/are/will be staples and you will hear them at every show. Not complaining. It would do well to note that absence makes the heart grow fonder. [smilie=battingeyes.gif]
I am not going to knock it, it is my goto bathroom song ;)
"That which is around me does not affect my mood; my mood affects that which is around me."

ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Post by ScarletB »

maid memories wrote:

Same here, I'm just tired of it - but when they play it I sing along happily. But I would love to see it replaced with something he hasn't done in a while that's all.
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

tigzoe wrote:
maid memories wrote:
like volcano or CIP is for me!!!

dnw
Last Man Standing

Post by dnw »

TommyBahama wrote:
tigzoe wrote:
maid memories wrote:

Or WDWGDAS is for me. :D

Debbie

SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner

Post by SMLCHNG »

Cubbie Bear wrote:Threads like this are why I so seldom come around after nearly 14000 dumb ass comments by me
Happily they don't happen TOO often around here.

Crazy Navy Flyer
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 100
Favorite Boat Drink: rum

Post by Crazy Navy Flyer »

One of my favorites also. It's a phrase I've used since I moved aboard TRADEWIND in 1978, even had a plaque on the bulkhead with that saying. Still love it.
Back to livin' Floridays

tigzoe
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with alcohol

Post by tigzoe »

dnw wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:
tigzoe wrote:
maid memories wrote:

Or WDWGDAS is for me. :D
Not sure I know where to go with that one, Deb :)
"That which is around me does not affect my mood; my mood affects that which is around me."