Manassas Update

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

urlcenter
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 6

Manassas Update

Post by urlcenter »

There was another show at Jiffy Lube Live last night in Manassas where tailgating has been banned. The show was 311 and Sublime and apparently the no tailgating ban is still being strictly enforced.

Here is one report from the event that was posted on the anti-tailgating ban Facebook page:

Report written by Stephanie Sanderson Alves

311 and Sublime were off the hook but the atmosphere was definitely not what it used to be. Most people sat in their cars and ate fast food or had a few drinks before going in. People were not standing outside at all in the lot ... Saw a few people get ticketed for having a cooler of drinks and standing by their car. We couldn't bring blankets or chairs even though the site said you could. We had to throw away our water bottle caps when entering the venue but then you couldn't bring the bottle to the lawn or near your seat so they gave out cups. I had a serious pat down of my one cell phone and wallet. It was uncomfortable. Beers were $13 and water was $5. It was 100 degrees... A lot of EMS tending to dehydrated teens... The bands rocked but I won't be returning to the venue because they made the experience less enjoyable... It became less about the music and more about what I could not do... Very disappointing....

capnbobby
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season
Number of Concerts: 28
Favorite Boat Drink: Bacardi 8 anos

Re: Manassas Update

Post by capnbobby »

It's too bad. I'm originally from the Baltimore-Washington area. My first Buffett show was at Merriweather Post Pavillion in about 1985. I saw Jimmy there many times. He stopped playing at Merriweather at some point. I have a vague recollection that it had something to do with curfews, but I could be completely wrong. I've seen Buffett once or twice in Manassas. Good venue, good shows. It's a shame what's happening. If it continues, I think that the Reefers need to find a new home in the Baltimore-Washington area. I have no idea what that venue would be.

8) Fins Up 8)
Cap'n Bobby

Bfan53again
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: "I Have Found Me a Home"
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark 'n Stormy

Post by Bfan53again »

Can you picture the same scene when police "pat down" a bunch of "mature" Parrotheads....... [smilie=spank.gif]

Come to think of it, for some, it might be the first time we've been "frisked" since the 60s.........suddenly an image from the movie "Animal House" popped into my brain: "Please sir, may I have another?????" [smilie=whistle.gif]
On most days I say: "Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...."
Sometimes I can only say: "There is no dumbass vaccine......"

If something or someone gets you down, just remember: "In a hundred years it all won’t matter.........."

allucaneatbuffett
I have found me a home

Post by allucaneatbuffett »

Great. Just Fuc*in Great. What a dissapointment. Sounds to me like this place is going the route of becoming TSA at the airport. I posted about 4 days ago b/c I have been very torn about buying 4 pavillion tickets from someone I know. I, like most, have been going to see Jimmy for quite a long time. I am 40 now, and went to my first show when I was 20 years old. Been going to see him at Nissan/Jiffy for as long as he has been going.

This really sucks. This update may have sealed our decision. Doesn't sound like anything will change when Jimmy is here. While I love the show, love the music, I am also fearful of a terrible day b/c of the traffic and bullcrap fiasco with being watched like terrorist.

And $13 for a beer!!!!!!!!! I SURE HOPE NOBODY WITH ANY COMMON SENSE SPENDS ONE DIME IN THE PLACE. I WOULD RATHER PASS OUT FROM HEAT EXHAUSTION THEN SPEND A DIME ON A DRINK IN THAT PLACE.

Sorry Jimmy. Unless something changes, I may have to sit this show out.

Nighthawk
I gotta go where it's warm
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 29
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum with a splash of coke

Post by Nighthawk »

I still do not see what the hell the big fricking deal is. Many venues do not allow tailgating. Heck the venue Jimmy use to play in chicago--- The World/New World/Tweeter had a FIRM rule on NO TAILGATING. They only lifted it for the Buffett shows. Any other show there you could not tailgate at.

So big deal, you can't tailgate in the parking lot. Be creative. Find an open lot near the venue, and drink there. Or, you can always do the last resort, but be careful.... Open a few bottle in the car on your way there and enjoy.
Did you hear the one about me being a punk?
Did you hear the one about me being a drunk?
Did you hear the one about me losing my nerve?
Or how I'm just another f**** sheep in the herd?
Did you hear the one about me giving a s***?
Cause if I ever did I don't remember it.

urlcenter
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 6

Post by urlcenter »

Nighthawk wrote:I still do not see what the hell the big fricking deal is. Many venues do not allow tailgating. Heck the venue Jimmy use to play in chicago--- The World/New World/Tweeter had a FIRM rule on NO TAILGATING. They only lifted it for the Buffett shows. Any other show there you could not tailgate at.

So big deal, you can't tailgate in the parking lot. Be creative. Find an open lot near the venue, and drink there. Or, you can always do the last resort, but be careful.... Open a few bottle in the car on your way there and enjoy.
There are no lots near by and the local police have threatened to shut down off site tailgating. Tailgating at Jimmy's show has become a ritual that the man himself recognizes by including video from parking lots on the big screens during the show. Heck in 2005 he flew over Greatwoods in a seaplane to capture aerial video of the tailgate that video is on the opening of the Live in Anguilla CD set.

ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

Many of the Buffett concerts I have attended have included a patdown as you enter the venue, some more thorough than others, especially the concert 2 weeks after 9/11. Not a big deal.

As for the lack of tailgating, I have also been to several shows in Northern California with no tailgating. including several indoor shows. Different--yes, disappointing--absolutely not!
"I finally know what Michael Jordan was talking about when he said he was 'in the zone'"
Jimmy Buffett, 9/4/05, Wrigley Field

popcornjack
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis

Post by popcornjack »

what's the over/under on "How many threads can be started to b**** about the JLL policy?" Whatever the number is, I'll take the over, and some extra butter for my popcorn.
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.

nutmeg
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Barefoot Children (this week)
Number of Concerts: 10

Post by nutmeg »

ejr wrote:Many of the Buffett concerts I have attended have included a patdown as you enter the venue, some more thorough than others, especially the concert 2 weeks after 9/11. Not a big deal.

As for the lack of tailgating, I have also been to several shows in Northern California with no tailgating. including several indoor shows. Different--yes, disappointing--absolutely not!
My first Buffett concert was the one after 9/11 at Tinley. They divided everyone into "girls" and "boys" and did a thorough patdown. I never thought twice about it. It was a sign of the times.....

There was no tailgating at the Honolulu Hawaii show....I never thought about that until this thread. I also attended a show at the Palace in Michigan in the late fall. Some people were tailgating, but most passed....it was darn cold. (The show was indoors)

You can have fun without the tailgating, but only you know whether it would be for you.
Friends Walk Together in Life's Garden
ImageImageImage
http://heartofmichiganrescue.com/

Utvolzac
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: A Pirate Looks at 40.
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Coke

Post by Utvolzac »

The issue I have with this venue is not so much the no tailgating policy, but the timing of the policy.

For alot of people the concert is secondary to the overall Buffett experience which tailgating is a big part of it.

JLL did not announce the ban until after tickets were sold. I found out when I received my tickets and it ha "no tailgating" printed on it. Had I known about it before hand, I would have gone to a different venue.

That's what I'm most upset about.

clearlakeparrot
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Window On The World
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: depends on the day

Post by clearlakeparrot »

Was coming.... Not coming. Going to Vegas. Maybe I will have to eat the plane ticket

Carolinadreamin'
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 42
Favorite Boat Drink: Painkiller

Post by Carolinadreamin' »

Nighthawk wrote:I still do not see what the hell the big fricking deal is. Many venues do not allow tailgating. Heck the venue Jimmy use to play in chicago--- The World/New World/Tweeter had a FIRM rule on NO TAILGATING. They only lifted it for the Buffett shows. Any other show there you could not tailgate at.

I generally try to stay out of controversial issues on this board. Everyone has an opinion and I really want to make the best effort to respect said opinions. I started to read your reply and thought "he has a point about Jimmy playing venues where there is no tailgating". But your last sentence (which I hope was just a joke) which I highlighted above, has me very upset. People need to attempt to act in a responsible manner and NOT drink and drive......whether they are driving into the venue or leaving the venue!!!

If JLL (or any other venue) really wanted to avoid costly litigation, they would try to work with the county to improve mass transit (bus service, taxi, etc). Right now the place is out in the middle of 'burbs with a couple of one lane roads to access it. There are no "open lots near the venue". The one lot folks did attempt to tailgate for WMZQFest were forced away. Even the hotels are a fair distance away and that's not considering the traffic situation of NOVA. This is not about the right to drink yourself stupid before a show. This is waiting to get into the venue on those one lane roads for an hour when the open the lots at noon. How long do you think it's going to take for 25,000 folks, most in cars, to get into the venue when the lots open at 5 pm? Bristow has multi-faceted problems, in which allowing folks to tailgate for years, that have been kept to a minimum. The WAPHC, along with 2 other clubs, will be tailgating at a restaurant/bar in Springfield. Then leaving at 5 PM in 3 buses for the 25 mile trip, in the hopes that they don't miss any of the show.....that's what the fricking big deal is......... :roll: You can roll your eyes and tell all the Bristow concertgoers to get over it.......but please don't tell people so cavalierly to open a few on the way over......it's a stupid way to die. :-?
'17-CHS
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Pinot Noir in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO"

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

I can't quote her whole post from my phone but I agree 100% with Linda. It's not about the flippin tailgating, people. I've been to plenty of shows without tailgating. It's about being able to get into the venue before the concert starts if the gates don't open until 5:00.

Nighthawk, I really hope you were kidding about drinking while driving but that has to be one of the more imbecilic comments I've seen around here. Honestly, if you do so I hope you get ticketed. Or arrested.
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally

clearlakeparrot
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Window On The World
Favorite Boat Drink: depends on the day

Post by clearlakeparrot »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:I can't quote her whole post from my phone but I agree 100% with Linda. It's not about the flippin tailgating, people. I've been to plenty of shows without tailgating. It's about being able to get into the venue before the concert starts if the gates don't open until 5:00.

Nighthawk, I really hope you were kidding about drinking while driving but that has to be one of the more imbecilic comments I've seen around here. Honestly, if you do so I hope you get ticketed. Or arrested.
Taxi cabs work. I have heard the PHC up there is renting a bus or 2. I am not going. too much hassle.

ScarletB
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH BEST...SONG...EVER!!
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Chill the rose

Post by ScarletB »

Carolinadreamin' wrote:

I generally try to stay out of controversial issues on this board. Everyone has an opinion and I really want to make the best effort to respect said opinions. I started to read your reply and thought "he has a point about Jimmy playing venues where there is no tailgating". But your last sentence (which I hope was just a joke) which I highlighted above, has me very upset. People need to attempt to act in a responsible manner and NOT drink and drive......whether they are driving into the venue or leaving the venue!!!

If JLL (or any other venue) really wanted to avoid costly litigation, they would try to work with the county to improve mass transit (bus service, taxi, etc). Right now the place is out in the middle of 'burbs with a couple of one lane roads to access it. There are no "open lots near the venue". The one lot folks did attempt to tailgate for WMZQFest were forced away. Even the hotels are a fair distance away and that's not considering the traffic situation of NOVA. This is not about the right to drink yourself stupid before a show. This is waiting to get into the venue on those one lane roads for an hour when the open the lots at noon. How long do you think it's going to take for 25,000 folks, most in cars, to get into the venue when the lots open at 5 pm? Bristow has multi-faceted problems, in which allowing folks to tailgate for years, that have been kept to a minimum. The WAPHC, along with 2 other clubs, will be tailgating at a restaurant/bar in Springfield. Then leaving at 5 PM in 3 buses for the 25 mile trip, in the hopes that they don't miss any of the show.....that's what the fricking big deal is......... :roll: You can roll your eyes and tell all the Bristow concertgoers to get over it.......but please don't tell people so cavalierly to open a few on the way over......it's a stupid way to die. :-?
You tell em Linda! Idiot
GW - 7/19
Great Northern MOTM - 7/20-21
Hershey Labor Day Weekend Show - 8/29
MOTM - Oct 28

parrothead216
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Come Monday

Post by parrothead216 »

As you may know Cleveland /Blossom didn't have a show since 2004! We had one this year and even thought the venue had/has problems. It was great to get to see Jimmy and sleep in our own beds afterward! :D :D [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

I had occasion to talk to the General Manager of Blossom , who works for Live Nation. I mentioned that even though Jimmy's fans tend to be fairly tame compared to say Ozzy Fest ,....his fans are passionate about the tailgating and why were they clamping down at some venues..... He said Live Nation was holding tough on the Tailgating policy at JLL because someone died as a result of the tailgating last year. No specifics ...the conversation was about HIS venue and this was just an aside. So it seems the venue that used to "look the other way" this years isn't!!! Even if it is a "knee-jerk " reaction or over reaction... it seems that this is the way it will be this year. So s*** it up :x :x and go to see Jimmy and maybe make it a several day event ...with maybe a house party the night before or even the day of at a park or somewhere and then ...go to the concert!!! You still have several weeks to find a place to party. It isn't about the tailgate....it IS about the concert!

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES drink and drive or have open containers in the car.......or you WILL HAVE A MEMORABLE TIME,...... spending the night and maybe several days in JAIL! :o :o :o

One of the things people keep saying about going to see Jimmy is at the TAILGATE THEY GET TO SEE THEIR FRIENDS.......well see them.....but don't get killed while doing that! Also, , enjoy seeing Jimmy........at some time he will stop touring and you have the NO chance to see him or tailgate! :o :o :x :x
BUFFETTING: The act of leaving reality and going off to see Jimmy Buffett!

Mr. Webster, we have a NEW definition!

Docktails at 5
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Woman Going Crazy On Caroline Street
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Soda

Post by Docktails at 5 »

Go, don't go, either way, it's a personal choice. I won't be going because in years past the traffic getting in/out was terrible, and the crowd was a bunch of idiots. So this was the tipping point. I love tailgating (for the price of tickets, I want to get 8 full hours of all things Buffett). I have a feeling Jimmy won't be playing at JLL next year. I look forward to seeing him next year without all of the hassles that JLL has imposed. My 2 cents worth.
Coast Of Carolina

gdog74
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: currently Havanna Daydreamin'
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Corona or the Jamaican Happy Hour

Post by gdog74 »

I live about 25 mins from the venue, I have been going to JB shows since I was 21 and I'm now a very young 36, my 2 sons ages 9 and 11 have been to no less than 7/8 shows each and going to see JB in the summer at the venue formerly known as "Nissan Pav - RIP" has become a family tradition. My oldest son plays his guitar in the parking lot and donates money earned to charity, so when you look at ban from our POV is sucks big time, and more or less the ban is not about safety, but about money for the venue. Traffic in and out is terrible at best, there is no where local to tailgate with many new/old friends, so as some people think we are all just whining aimlessly about said ban, then I say this to them......going to a JB is about the total experience, the people you meet in the lot, the friends you've made from the VPHC and other shows, and spending quailty family time. And anyone who lives/works the DC market will attest, going to see JB and the Reefers for the day is a great escape from the daily grind we live.

OK, off the soapbox now :)

Nighthawk
I gotta go where it's warm
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 29
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum with a splash of coke

Post by Nighthawk »

Carolinadreamin' wrote:

I didn't say drink and drive.... That's crazy..... The Passengers can open up and drink. Just conceal what your drinking. Take a liter of pepsi, pour half out, and put your mixer in it.
Did you hear the one about me being a punk?
Did you hear the one about me being a drunk?
Did you hear the one about me losing my nerve?
Or how I'm just another f**** sheep in the herd?
Did you hear the one about me giving a s***?
Cause if I ever did I don't remember it.

drunkpirate66
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

urlcenter wrote:

There are no lots near by and the local police have threatened to shut down off site tailgating. Tailgating at Jimmy's show has become a ritual that the man himself recognizes by including video from parking lots on the big screens during the show. Heck in 2005 he flew over Greatwoods in a seaplane to capture aerial video of the tailgate that video is on the opening of the Live in Anguilla CD set.
Not to rub salt (salt, salt) in the wounds but Mr. Jimmy has done that Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than 2005. Just saying . . . sorry.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .