Come on...tacky??? Really????

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Post Reply
caroltz
I have found me a home
Posts: 151
Joined: December 31, 2007 11:19 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Number of Concerts: 25
Favorite Boat Drink: Dark & Stormy
Location: Highland Mills, NY

Come on...tacky??? Really????

Post by caroltz »

Someone posted the following on another discussion board that I frequent. I got a good giggle out of it.

I need some advice. I have a friend who just bought herself a very small 1 1/2 bedroom condo at [deleted in case friend is a member here]. Problem is ..... she HAS everything she needs for it. She has parrott-head taste (I mean, tacky and 100% tropical taste, even her full-time condo is all parrot-head crap and tacky lime green paint throughout).

She has all her furniture, has old beach chairs she's going to leave, has coffee pots and toaster ovens and more tacky crap to decorate with than you can possibly imagine ......... what the heck do I buy her?


Really??? When did "parrott-head taste" become synonymous with tacky??? :D

The original poster is actually a very nice person, and I didn't take offense with her post. I replied to it with the suggestion that she get her friend a gift certificate to margaritaville.com because "Us tacky parrotheads love to shop there......"

looking4OPH
License to Chill
Posts: 1256
Joined: March 11, 2006 5:20 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Livingston Saturday Night
Number of Concerts: 8
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita (frozen, salt); drink, repeat
Location: Margaritaville via Chicago

Re: Come on...tacky??? Really????

Post by looking4OPH »

caroltz wrote:I replied to it with the suggestion that she get her friend a gift certificate to margaritaville.com because "Us tacky parrotheads love to shop there......"
That's pretty close to the route I would have taken.

SMLCHNG
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 175363
Joined: December 6, 2001 7:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice/Lovely Cruise
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum Runner
Location: Castle Rock, CO

Re: Come on...tacky??? Really????

Post by SMLCHNG »

looking4OPH wrote:
caroltz wrote:I replied to it with the suggestion that she get her friend a gift certificate to margaritaville.com because "Us tacky parrotheads love to shop there......"
That's pretty close to the route I would have taken.
:P Totally agree!!!

springparrot
Last Man Standing
Posts: 169385
Joined: April 28, 2001 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: what time of day is it????
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Mudslide, Strawberry Margarita
Location: Don't Mess With TEXAS

Re: Come on...tacky??? Really????

Post by springparrot »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
tacky.....I love it [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]

LiveandletLiver
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Posts: 317
Joined: March 8, 2012 6:41 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: I'll get back to you on this
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Diet Coke (sucks don't it)

Re: Come on...tacky??? Really????

Post by LiveandletLiver »

One man's tacky is another man's paradise.

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Posts: 64192
Joined: April 24, 2001 8:00 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Re: Come on...tacky??? Really????

Post by LIPH »

caroltz wrote:When did "parrott-head taste" become synonymous with tacky??? :D
When has it not been tacky?
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land
Posts: 11225
Joined: January 10, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: In the cheap hotels and bars
Contact:

Re: Come on...tacky??? Really????

Post by chippewa »

Tropical / seashore / beach decorations can be tastefully done. "Parrothead" is over-the-top, whacky, outrageously tacky. IMO.

I proudly display both. :D


Not tacky

Image

Tacky

Image

Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Posts: 4617
Joined: February 1, 2009 2:28 am
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!
Location: La Crosse (actually Onalaska) WI

Re: Come on...tacky??? Really????

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I wonder how my decor would be interpreted?  I mean, I've got illuminated beer signs hanging next to personally-taken autographed sports pictures, with my dart trophies and plaques nearby.  Another part of the trailer is my bike storage/work area complete with tools and workstand.  Then there's my computer/'home office' niche.  All-in-all I suppose it's "primitive man-cave", and undoubtedly would not meet with this person's approval either.
Image
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."

familyof5parrottheads
I need two more boat drinks
Posts: 234
Joined: April 2, 2008 12:36 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: tin cup chalice
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Tito's n cranberry n soda
Location: Hawaii or St. Maarten

Re: Come on...tacky??? Really????

Post by familyof5parrottheads »

caroltz wrote:Someone posted the following on another discussion board that I frequent. I got a good giggle out of it.

I need some advice. I have a friend who just bought herself a very small 1 1/2 bedroom condo at [deleted in case friend is a member here]. Problem is ..... she HAS everything she needs for it. She has parrott-head taste (I mean, tacky and 100% tropical taste, even her full-time condo is all parrot-head crap and tacky lime green paint throughout).

She has all her furniture, has old beach chairs she's going to leave, has coffee pots and toaster ovens and more tacky crap to decorate with than you can possibly imagine ......... what the heck do I buy her?


Really??? When did "parrott-head taste" become synonymous with tacky??? :D



The original poster is actually a very nice person, and I didn't take offense with her post. I replied to it with the suggestion that she get her friend a gift certificate to margaritaville.com because "Us tacky parrotheads love to shop there......"
Hey Carol, you"re a better person than I am.
I would have told them their taste sucks.

surfpirate
Here We Are
Posts: 9697
Joined: April 27, 2001 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98
Location: OBX (Oh how I wish ..... maybe next month)
Contact:

Re: Come on...tacky??? Really????

Post by surfpirate »

Image
Image
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |

dnw
Last Man Standing
Posts: 39088
Joined: March 3, 2004 6:50 pm
Number of Concerts: 0
Location: South Georgia

Re: Come on...tacky??? Really????

Post by dnw »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Image


Debbie

pbans
On a Salty Piece of Land
Posts: 10061
Joined: July 18, 2003 4:55 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 9
Location: Northern Utah.....

Re: Come on...tacky??? Really????

Post by pbans »

I had friend tell me one time....
"You have no class, but you've got A LOT of style."
I've always remembered that....and I think this is sort of the same thing!!
Paige in Utah
"Don't try to shake it, just nod your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on"
Image

conched
Last Man Standing
Posts: 31386
Joined: June 26, 2001 8:00 pm

Re: Come on...tacky??? Really????

Post by conched »

Yep, sp, pretty funny!
dnw wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gotta love it when people look around and say, "You sure have a lot of parrots...want one I don't want?" SURE!!!

Just finally removed the 36" x 36" neon parrot light from my INDOOR music area. He had a broken tail. [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]

springparrot
Last Man Standing
Posts: 169385
Joined: April 28, 2001 8:00 pm
Favorite Buffett Song: what time of day is it????
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Mudslide, Strawberry Margarita
Location: Don't Mess With TEXAS

Re: Come on...tacky??? Really????

Post by springparrot »

conched wrote:Yep, sp, pretty funny!
dnw wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gotta love it when people look around and say, "You sure have a lot of parrots...want one I don't want?" SURE!!!

Just finally removed the 36" x 36" neon parrot light from my INDOOR music area. He had a broken tail. [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]
[smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]

KruzinParrots
Behind Door #3
Posts: 3551
Joined: September 3, 2007 12:50 am
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 12
Favorite Boat Drink: Pirates Punch
Location: PA and NYC and the Deep Blue Ocean

Re: Come on...tacky??? Really????

Post by KruzinParrots »

We LOVE tropical decorations. When we travel we always buy items that catch our attention to add to the 'collection'!

In our living room we have shells displayed from every island we've been on. There are also wood and stone carvings and prints of the ports we've sailed in and out of. Every time we walk in the door and see them we're reminded of good times and we smile. The neighbors don't 'get it' but we're happy and honestly that is what counts at the end of the day. When we have company the 'tack' has been a great source of conversation.

Our bathrooms are tropical themed. Decorating them has been a fun on going project as we tweek them to perfection. We're proud of the shell handles on the cabinets in the beach themed one and the shell flush handle on the toilet which also has a shell seat! The other is a palm tree theme. Took a while but finally found palm tree handles for the cabinets. Have a shell seat as well for the toilet and found a palm tree flush handle.

On the first floor we have a parrothead room which has a lot of parrotphanalia. There are Margaritaville and tropical shot glasses, wall signs, concert pics etc. What can I say it makes us happy. Can't wait till our next trip in a few weeks to bring back some more :)

So I can honestly say we don't find her way of decorating strange or unappealing. Would love so see some pics.

Definitely agree that a Margaritaville gift card would be appropriate.
Find Your Passion and Make It Happen

Post Reply