Buffett=only white fans Does this bother anyone else?

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Buffett=only white fans Does this bother anyone else?

Post by surfpirate »

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart
and
The Cobert Report With Stephen Cobert

two Comedy Central staples with stalwart liberal leanings
both frequently trot out jokes equating Jimmy Buffett fans as
being made up as exclusively single minded white people.

A typical and running joke:

"I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I have a lot of Jimmy Buffett albums"
-Stephen Colbert

Election night coverage on the Daily Show featured the following comments
by *correspondent* Al Madrigal:

“Tonight, Mitt Romney received very little minority support. We’re talking Jimmy Buffett concert-levels.”
- Al Madrigal

This always bothers me. While I cannot dispute my own eyes when I look
around the venues at a concert that the audience is overwhelmingly white,
I bristle when I read between the lines at the undertone message of the jokes,
that Jimmy Buffett fans are a staunch group of white people who must think alike
and ergo *vote white* ....

Experiences on these forums tells me that we are a diverse group of voters,
but I must admit ... we are pasty white looking bunch.

Why is this? Jimmy has Caribbean roots and influences in his music. Reggae influences.
Yet the overwhelming perception of the outside world (non-parrothead) is that Jimmy Buffett fans are
not a diversive looking bunch and therefore perhaps not a diversive thinking bunch.

Talk amongst yourselves.
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |
phjrsaunt
Social Buffettfly
Social Buffettfly
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 21
Favorite Boat Drink: coconut rum and...anything!

Re: Buffett=only white fans Does this bother anyone else?

Post by phjrsaunt »

Wellll....yeah....I certainly see your point.

My love is staying an anchor tied to you with that silver chain.
drunkpirate66
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

Who gives a flip.

I went to a Jay Z concert once in college in there were maybe a dozen white people in the entire venue. I didn't care. I don't hear anyone calling rap stars racist and exclusive to blacks only. Its just stupid tv personalities breeding hate. Ignore them.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

I didn't particularly care for their latter comment either but it's just comedy and as you note, it has some basis in reality whether folks like it or not.
surfpirate
Here We Are

Post by surfpirate »

drunkpirate66 wrote:Who gives a flip.

I went to a Jay Z concert once in college in there were maybe a dozen white people in the entire venue. I didn't care. I don't hear anyone calling rap stars racist and exclusive to blacks only. Its just stupid tv personalities breeding hate. Ignore them.
I give a flip. I want to understand why Jimmy Buffett's music appeals mostly to whites only,
when at it's core it has no such messages that are exclusive to whites only.

Many rap stars are accused of being racist (and misogynist) and not without some justification
with lyrics that are targeting young black males.

THAT is a difference. I don't see or hear anything in Jimmy's music that would seem to
intentionally exclude non-whites. His band is diverse. His music has influences from other cultures,
yet the perception is that this is whites only stuff. Why?
drunkpirate66
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

surfpirate wrote:
drunkpirate66 wrote:Who gives a flip.

I give a flip. I want to understand why Jimmy Buffett's music appeals mostly to whites only,
when at it's core it has no such messages that are exclusive to whites only.

Many rap stars are accused of being racist (and misogynist) and not without some justification
with lyrics that are targeting young black males.

THAT is a difference. I don't see or hear anything in Jimmy's music that would seem to
intentionally exclude non-whites. His band is diverse. His music has influences from other cultures,
yet the perception is that this is whites only stuff. Why?
I think that it is a combination of many things all of which are grounded in ignorance. Some might claim that it is for financial reasons. That the cost of a ticket to a Jimmy Buffett concert is so high that African Americans can't afford it. I couldn't disagree with that more because, as we all know, there are many successful African Americans who earn far more money then white people but choose to spend there money elsewhere. Some might claim that over the years Jimmy Buffett has marketed himself into sort of a "white America brand" for professionals in high stress jobs . . . but again, I would have to disagree with that because there are many African Americans who are professionals in high stress jobs. Some might argue that it is cultural. But you stated quite accurately that much of his music has Caribbean vibes and African and European based instrumental themes that apply to a variety culture and interest. Some might say that he looks like a grandfather and is kind of a dork. I know many African American dorks and several African American grandfathers. Perhaps African Americans don't like Margaritas? :lol: (joke). Perhaps he only advertises in publications that are exclusive to white people. Nope. That would be impossible. Perhaps it stems from the fact that a large percentage of African Americans still live in urban areas and don't get out to concert venues that are primarily suburban? (although there are obviously plenty of African Americans who reside in the burbs). Perhaps there is no answer. I certainly don't have one.

I have seen African Americans at many a Jimmy Buffett concert but the amount them probably doesn't equate to a percentage point. Same with Kenny Chesney who I saw once in MA and once in PA. Same with Dave Matthews and the Foo Fighters and Kid Rock now that I think about it. I don't think it is a Jimmy Buffett thing. Seems to be more of a "rock n' roll" type concert in general kind of thing.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

It's been my experience in some circles that a few folks see Buffett's music as "white boy reggae". I don't see or hear that at all but it's some people's perception. Lots of other people have an image locked into their subconscious about Jimmy Buffett that's unshakable. I know a great deal of his fanbase doesn't like to hear it but that's in no small part attributable to the image of him that was cultivated by the Parrothead phenomenon which casts him as "the Mayor of Margaritaville". That image is one of a privileged, wealthy, largely caucasian audience with disposable incomes that let their hair down by donning cheap Hawaiian shirts (and other Buffett related regalia) only when Buffett comes to town. No matter how musically diverse he is, his appeal doesn't seem to reach across racial lines, at least not in a significant way. That probably has everything to do with the image the public at large has of Buffett and his fans and very little to do with the music itself. There are also other artists such as The Police, Peter Gabriel, Led Zeppelin, etc. that are musically diverse but their audience is predominantly caucasian. On the other hand, you have artists like Bob Marley who's music appeals to a very diverse audience worldwide. To me, that comes down to authenticity. Buffett may come by his diverse musical taste honestly but that doesn't mean it's going to translate into appealing to a diverse audience from an ethnic standpoint. I believe that has everything to do with the factors I previously mentioned. Those factors are also a huge reason why the whole Parrothead thing is so ripe for parody by the likes of South Park, SNL, The Daily Show, etc.

For whatever it's worth, I encounter fellow music fans all the time that are locked into the singular image (and sound) of Buffett that I previously mentioned. On more than one occasion I've attempted to direct them to other tunes besides "Margaritaville", "Fins", "Cheeseburger In Paradise", etc. (all songs which I like, btw) with very limited success. His post "Margaritaville"/Parrothead/Mayor of Margaritaville image is so ingrained that it's virtually impossible to convince a certain segment of the population that there's another Jimmy Buffett that exists beyond that.
surfpirate
Here We Are

Post by surfpirate »

Tiki Torches wrote:It's been my experience in some circles that a few folks see Buffett's music as "white boy reggae". I don't see or hear that at all but it's some people's perception. Lots of other people have an image locked into their subconscious about Jimmy Buffett that's unshakable. I know a great deal of his fanbase doesn't like to hear it but that's in no small part attributable to the image of him that was cultivated by the Parrothead phenomenon which casts him as "the Mayor of Margaritaville". That image is one of a privileged, wealthy, largely caucasian audience with disposable incomes that let their hair down by donning cheap Hawaiian shirts (and other Buffett related regalia) only when Buffett comes to town. No matter how musically diverse he is, his appeal doesn't seem to reach across racial lines, at least not in a significant way. That probably has everything to do with the image the public at large has of Buffett and his fans and very little to do with the music itself. There are also other artists such as The Police, Peter Gabriel, Led Zeppelin, etc. that are musically diverse but their audience is predominantly caucasian. On the other hand, you have artists like Bob Marley who's music appeals to a very diverse audience worldwide. To me, that comes down to authenticity. Buffett may come by his diverse musical taste honestly but that doesn't mean it's going to translate into appealing to a diverse audience from an ethnic standpoint. I believe that has everything to do with the factors I previously mentioned. Those factors are also a huge reason why the whole Parrothead thing is so ripe for parody by the likes of South Park, SNL, The Daily Show, etc.

For whatever it's worth, I encounter fellow music fans all the time that are locked into the singular image (and sound) of Buffett that I previously mentioned. On more than one occasion I've attempted to direct them to other tunes besides "Margaritaville", "Fins", "Cheeseburger In Paradise", etc. (all songs which I like, btw) with very limited success. His post "Margaritaville"/Parrothead/Mayor of Margaritaville image is so ingrained that it's virtually impossible to convince a certain segment of the population that there's another Jimmy Buffett that exists beyond that.
I think it's a little like NASCAR. It began in the south before it took root and spread across the country,
and even though no longer overtly target marketed to southern white boys, it has yet
to cross racial lines as a sport of diversity.

I parodied that connection several years ago ...

Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

I'm sure Jimmy is happy. ANY publicity is GOOD publicity & Colbert & Stewart aren't lightweights!
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

As many on here know, my wife is black. She's not the mega-fan that I am but she's likes a lot of his songs, False Echoes and Trip around the Sun being her favorites.
She's been to a few shows with me and has always had a blast.
Last edited by sonofabeach on November 10, 2012 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"
Snowparrot
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: **Free**

Post by Snowparrot »

It was certainly something I noticed when I went to my first JB concert. As a Canadian, I'm not as used to having lots of black people around, but there they were, everywhere, at the airport, in the hotel, on the streets, but NOT at the concert.
I met one black fan once, maybe in Detroit.
(I know Ravi is non-white, rather brown :wink: AND I haven't met him yet in person!)
The most black fans I ever saw were at the concert in Toronto, where there are lots of Caribbean folks, who appreciate the steel band music.
It is odd to me.
Wildh2oskier
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: There is no way to pick just one.
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: Something with whiskey in it
Location: Central Alabama, center of the state middle of nowhere

Post by Wildh2oskier »

Hmmm when was the last time Jimmy was played on a black oriented radio station? People go to concerts performed by people they have been listening to. Jimmy doesn't rotation time on Blues stations, Urban or Gangsta or Dance or what ever those stations are called. Its not something that is Jimmy's fault, its just the nature of the beast.
bravedave
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bravedave »

SP, I like consider myself one of your 'on-line' friends. I like to read your posts, and I certainly appreciate your humor and creativity.
But I'm still unclear why we're entertaining this odd notion. Are you harboring some sort of "white guilt"?
I doesn't bother me that some people don't like beer. I like it, I drink it, I hang with those who don't.
We're not the ones making his music. We're not the ones promoting his music. We're certainly not making any money from his music.
I guess if you really want to know why 'non-white people don't seem to dig' his music -- ask them. Do you ask an Eskimo why Hindus don't harm cows? Do you ask an Eskimo it this troubles them?

Diversity means more than, "Hey, let's all enjoy this together."
“Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.”
- Kaiser Welhelm

"The call is a loud wulli-wulli, and there is much twittering at the drinking holes."
phinhead
Overkill
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by phinhead »

If you enjoy the music and the show who cares about the color of the audience? I go to Buffett concerts because they are fun...not because they are white! If I like 50 Cents music I would go to his shows...but that ain't my thing! If you go to any country/rock concert it is mostly white...if you go to a rap concert it is mostly black...I highly douby anybody attending a 50 Cent show worried about the ratio of blacks to whites....It's not a white supremist rally!! Get over it and have fun...quit worrying about stuff that doesn't matter!!
Bring me the hot sauce, bring me a beer. Going to be the last man standing, but where do you go from here?
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

Not me. :)
surfpirate
Here We Are

Post by surfpirate »

bravedave wrote:SP, I like consider myself one of your 'on-line' friends. I like to read your posts, and I certainly appreciate your humor and creativity.
But I'm still unclear why we're entertaining this odd notion. Are you harboring some sort of "white guilt"?
I doesn't bother me that some people don't like beer. I like it, I drink it, I hang with those who don't.
We're not the ones making his music. We're not the ones promoting his music. We're certainly not making any money from his music.
I guess if you really want to know why 'non-white people don't seem to dig' his music -- ask them. Do you ask an Eskimo why Hindus don't harm cows? Do you ask an Eskimo it this troubles them?

Diversity means more than, "Hey, let's all enjoy this together."
I generally do not care about what others perceive about me.
The exception is if someone perceives me to be in any way racist, prejudiced
or intolerant of others. I grew up in Virginia during the very segregated 1960s.
Our suburban neighborhood was white. I watched as my Elementary School
was integrated and I painfully remember the hatred most of my friends
and their parents spewed at "the colored kids" or worse yet, "the niggers".
To this day I feel guilty that my 8,9 and 10 year old self was too intimidated
to speak up that this was wrong. That I did not reach out to befriend the
kids that had those hateful words thrown at them ... every ... single ... day.

My mother was vilified in our neighborhood because she marched with
a black Baptist preacher and his congregation in civil rights protests against
segregation. Both of my parents deeply instilled in me that racism was hatred
and wrong. As the 1960s turned into the 1970s my mother got remarried
to a Lutheran minister. His first assignment was as an Associate Pastor church
in a predominantly black inner city church. We attended that church every
Sunday for nearly 3 years as I entered my teenage years. It was in that
church that I made my first black friends.

I do not like generalizations. I have seen too many in my lifetime.
I have seen many *red state* vs. *blue state*, liberal vs. conservative
bullsh*t generalizations during the past election year.

The jokes I outlined are just that, jokes ... but they are generalizations
that make me uncomfortable. So I asked if they make anyone else uncomfortable.

Because my "white guilt" over the things that my 8, 9 and 10 year old self
witnessed still reside deep within my makeup.

I am also willing to acknowledge that I may be overthinking all of this,
but I have my personal reasons for doing so.
palmettopirate
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Carolina
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: sweet tea

Post by palmettopirate »

1. The public at large doesn't care about this stuff.
2. Al Sharprton probably doesn't care either.
3. We're talikng about silly cocerts for goodness sakes.
4. The last time I went to a ticket booth in person there were no signs excluding any people of color or the usual other discriminatory notions.
5. Since 2008 we live in a post race society.
6. I've been to plenty of concerts where people of color weren't present.
7. Jimmy is a liberal. Not his fault. It's not that he doesn't want people of color present. They simply don't want to be there.
8. JB's got a good thing going and he ain't stupid enough to touch this, except as humor maybe.
9. When is the last time many of you went to a concert that appeals to a mostly black audience? Never you say? Shame on you. Boy I bet that really hurt their feelings. Do you think they care? Do you think the joksters care? Do you think they need to court you?
10. Ever been to a big concert by a black entertainer and the audience was >90% white? I have. Go figure.
Every day you wake up you get another chance to do it right.
Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

What's the ratio of white players to non-white players in the NBA, the NFL, or organized baseball?
What's the ratio of white spectators to non-white spectators of these same events?
What difference does it make?

This is an interesting topic for discussion and likely to spur a little participation on the forum for a bit, but at the same time we risk over-analyzing the subject and making a mountain out of a molehill.  In fact, I've seen the same questions raised over why golf, or cycling, or bowling, or skiing seems to be an exclusively white boys' club.  The discussion goes 'round and 'round, and in the end little or nothing gets determined.
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

Bicycle Bill wrote:What's the ratio of white players to non-white players in the NBA, the NFL, or organized baseball?
What's the ratio of white spectators to non-white spectators of these same events?
What difference does it make?

This is an interesting topic for discussion and likely to spur a little participation on the forum for a bit, but at the same time we risk over-analyzing the subject and making a mountain out of a molehill.  In fact, I've seen the same questions raised over why golf, or cycling, or bowling, or skiing seems to be an exclusively white boys' club.  The discussion goes 'round and 'round, and in the end little or nothing gets determined.
-"BB"-
Toss hockey into that mix!!!.....actually baseball is becoming more and more Latino and foreign.

I think it's a culture thing or age thing , it's like country or even rock , it's mainly a white crowd , you will get the exceptions.I've seen earth , Wind and Fire many of times , you get a mix there , would i go see rap , NO.....doesn't do it for me , but the younger white generation is into it.
bravedave
At the Bama Breeze

Post by bravedave »

Thanks, Bob.
I understand your question a whole lot better now because of your response.

As an honest answer, no , I'm not bothered. But no one has ever accused me of being terribly sensitive, so maybe I'm just not used to thinking about it the same as some other folks.