Beginning of the end?

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Re: Beginning of the end?

Post by LIPH »

jbfins wrote:That is my whole point. When Atlanta doesn't sell out you know ticket sales are trending down, dramatically.
I actually bought tickets to the Jones Beach show (Tuesday night) for me, my wife and our two kids. It will be my first show in over 8 years. The only reason I bought the tickets (days after they went on sale) is because I could see that the show is not even close to being sold out. There are entire sections with hundreds of seats available. (I figure the less people the better for my kids' first show. Plus, I got first row mezz so no one is in front to block our view.)
I believe Jimmy likes playing, but I can't imagine he is going to enjoy playing a show that is not even close to sold out. Heck, when do you think was the last time he looked out from the stage and saw hundreds upon hundreds of empty seats and a bunch of "partyheads" talking on their cell phones or texting while he is playing the little known gem that I just spent $500 bucks to hear. If he feeds off the engery of the crowd and there is no crowd giving him engery, well?
Plus, I can't imagine venues are going to be willing to pay him as much next year as they may have this year. I don't think that would stop him from touring. But let's face it, if no one is going to the shows there is no reason to have a show. For example, I guarantee two Jones Beach shows will not be on next year's schedule.
When an artist has to limit the number of shows he/she plays due to limited demand, then that my friends is the beginning of the end.
Given Buffett's history at Jones Beach, guaranteeing there won't be 2 shows there next year isn't exactly going out on a limb. It was never one of the venues where he played 2 shows/year, or 3 or 4 back in the old days. The only other time he's done 2 shows at the beach was 20 years ago and from 1998-2008 he only played there every other year. It's not one of his go-to venues that he's played 40+ times.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Please don't take this the wrong way but this is the first time I've ever seen anyone complain about the ease of securing tix or requesting that a performer bring back intermission (you know, the part where there's no music). After Buffett has been one of the top concert draws of all times for so many years I'm sure it concerns some fans that he may be on the downside of that. On the upside, maybe it means more intimate type shows in the future in theatre sized venues. That, I would love to see and that's said without any deference to Buffett at all. I know the huge outdoor shows are tons of fun (I should know, I've been to a few myself) but there's also a lot to be said for seeing a performer in a more intimate space. I'm not sure if or when that will happen but it's not something I'd be unhappy with.
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

Well said, Tiki.

I remember the days when he had 5 different people on 5 different computers in 5 different homes trying to get tickets for a show. At times, we still got locked out and would have to pay over priced tickets and we would complain how we didn't understand that real fans would get locked out and these scalpels would get tons no problem.
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm

Post by jbfins »

I am not complaining about getting tickets. In fact, I was happy as hell. I've been waiting 8 years for this, and the lack of attendance leads me to believe that those who go on a Tuesday night will be there more for the music than for the party. Hence the reason I will be a little more comfortable (or less concernced) about bringing my kids. I am ectstatic. Absolutely no complaints from me.
"Some people never find it..."
Lostarlake
We are the People our Parents Warned us

Post by Lostarlake »

Some factors for this decline are: an aging fanbase where some (by no means all) don't have the desire to keep going to the number of concerts that they were 10-15 years ago.
Also, the economy is definitely a huge factor.

Ticket scalpers also aren't trying to overload the Ticketmaster system when tix go onsale as the profit margin isn't what it once was, allowing more true fans the opportunity to buy tix.

This is speculation but I think part of Jones Beach getting 2 shows is Jimmy's way of helping to bring more revenue to the area/venue that he's fond of after this past fall's hurricane (which damaged the venue). The Tuesday Jones Beach show is over 5 months away, and my guess is the majority of tickets will be sold by the time of the concert.

Only time will tell!
clearlakeparrot
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Window On The World
Favorite Boat Drink: depends on the day

Post by clearlakeparrot »

jbfinscj wrote:Not counting the Virginia beach show, none of Jimmy's show are sold out. It has been this way for years now. The economy and $136 ticket price don't help either. Now I'm sure there are some on this board who would argue that jimmy has been "selling out" for years. :)
Absolutely not true at all. Far from it, Nashville is very close to a sell out currently
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

clearlakeparrot wrote:
jbfinscj wrote:Not counting the Virginia beach show, none of Jimmy's show are sold out. It has been this way for years now. The economy and $136 ticket price don't help either. Now I'm sure there are some on this board who would argue that jimmy has been "selling out" for years. :)
Absolutely not true at all. Far from it, Nashville is very close to a sell out currently

let's be honest.. most of Nashville is sellouts, wannabees, and hacks... ;)
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

jbfins wrote:I am not complaining about getting tickets. In fact, I was happy as hell. I've been waiting 8 years for this, and the lack of attendance leads me to believe that those who go on a Tuesday night will be there more for the music than for the party. Hence the reason I will be a little more comfortable (or less concernced) about bringing my kids. I am ectstatic. Absolutely no complaints from me.
Understood but the thread title seems to imply a sense of dissatisfaction and/or impending doom at the prospect of tickets not being as hard to come by as they once were. Thus, apparently leading to no tour at all eventually. At least that's what I got out of it. If this trend continues, my guess is, ticket prices will either come down or Buffett will find himself playing smaller venues. I wouldn't argue with the prospect of either. I know he's getting on in years (aren't we all) but I don't see this as the begininning of the end of Buffett's touring years. There's lots of folks much older than him that are still hard after it. As much as Buffett enjoys performing, I don't see that changing. At least not anytime soon.
jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Post by jbfinscj »

clearlakeparrot wrote:

I wil restate what I said: "Not counting the Virginia beach show, none of Jimmy's show are sold out." I just went to ticketmaster and was able to pull up tickets on the floor, the 100, 200, and 300 sections for Nashville. I said nothing about being "very close to selling out." Close to selling out is just like almost winning....though your close your not quite there. Personally it doesn't bother me that show's don't sell out, it's nice to be able to get tickets days and even weeks after they go on sale.
Last edited by jbfinscj on March 8, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays

jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead

Post by jbfinscj »

RinglingRingling wrote:
clearlakeparrot wrote:

Agreed! :D Except for Guy Clark

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

jbfinscj wrote:
RinglingRingling wrote:
clearlakeparrot wrote:

...and John Prine, Steve Earle, Todd Snider, Tommy Womack, Will Kimbrough and a bunch of other folks I'm sure.
jbfinscj
Lester Polyester

Post by jbfinscj »

Tiki Torches wrote:
jbfinscj wrote:
RinglingRingling wrote:
clearlakeparrot wrote:

...and John Prine, Steve Earle, Todd Snider, Tommy Womack, Will Kimbrough and a bunch of other folks I'm sure.
Don't forget John Hiatt, Lyle Lovett. Joe ely, Vernon Thompson,Rodney Crowell, emmylou Harris, Tom Russell, Jerry Jeff walker....and the list goes on and on

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

jbfinscj wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:
jbfinscj wrote:
RinglingRingling wrote:
clearlakeparrot wrote:

Don't forget John Hiatt, Lyle Lovett. Joe ely, Vernon Thompson,Rodney Crowell, emmylou Harris, Tom Russell, Jerry Jeff walker....and the list goes on and on
Like I said, "and a bunch of other folks". It's impossible to list everyone as someone's always going to get left out. By the way, isn't Jerry Jeff a resident of Texas? I was referring to people that actually reside in Nashville.
popcornjack
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Biloxi
Number of Concerts: 75
Favorite Boat Drink: Dos Equis

Post by popcornjack »

The two shows at Jones Beach will sell out eventually, because combined (22,000 for the two nights i think) isn't too much more than some places that do one show, and since within 60 miles of Jones Beach is something like 11,000,000 people, all those tickets will sell.

As for the beginning of the end? He ain't getting any younger, and he's been touring for 40 years. The end started beginning years ago.
Take me for what I am, a star newly emerging.
I accept the new found man, and I set the twilight reeling.
jbfinscj
Lester Polyester

Post by jbfinscj »

Tiki Torches wrote:
jbfinscj wrote:
RinglingRingling wrote:
clearlakeparrot wrote:

Now your just getting technical, Steve Earle lives in New York City :D The great thing though is all the artists we mention follow the same songline that runs from texas through nasvhille and beyond.

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

jbfinscj wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:
jbfinscj wrote:
RinglingRingling wrote:
clearlakeparrot wrote:

alright, let me qualify that with the addendum: most of Nashville under the age of 40 are sellouts, wannabees, and hacks..
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

jbfinscj wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:
jbfinscj wrote:
RinglingRingling wrote:
clearlakeparrot wrote:

Now your just getting technical, Steve Earle lives in New York City :D The great thing though is all the artists we mention follow the same songline that runs from texas through nasvhille and beyond.
I wasn't trying to be technical, I was just trying to list artists that actually live there. I totally blanked on Earle's move to New York a few years back.
aeroparrot
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Manana
Number of Concerts: 56

Post by aeroparrot »

Don't know if it is the beginning of the end or if we're closer to the end than we think but as the old saying goes, "All good things must come to an end." I think even when Buffett is done touring, by choice or not, I think the people I have met because of his music are good friends and will try to keep in touch with them.
If you want an experience, go to a Jimmy Buffett concert.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Life is short, live long!!

I'd rather be a wiseass than a dumbass.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

I think he enjoys it too much to give it up altogether. We may see a massive scaling back in touring but beyond that I think he'll always find a way to perform somewhere for as long as it's feasible health-wise and otherwise.
clearlakeparrot
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Window On The World
Favorite Boat Drink: depends on the day

Post by clearlakeparrot »

RinglingRingling wrote:
clearlakeparrot wrote:

Well get your ass down there Todd and hang with me Garry and Larry :P