Tom Petty is Doing a "Rarities" Tour -- Why Can't Buffett?

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Re: Tom Petty is Doing a "Rarities" Tour -- Why Can't Buffett?

Post by Dr.Corona »

Couple things I'm gonna weigh in on.
1) Let's see how the entire tour plays out. Petty just finished up doing 5 shows at the small Beacon Theatre in NY. He's been doing this for years, & KNOWS his fan base will come out regardless of what he plays.

B) Petty is not the type to conform his setlist to the masses. He doesn't tour regularly....kinda blazes his own trail. All you have to do is listen to the various albums he put out after he made it big & you can tell he wasn't all about the commercial success.

Finally, Buffett could CERTAINLY do it if he wanted. You think one 10-12 city Fall/Winter tour of 10,000-12,000 seat venues being promoted as a "Rarities" tour wouldn't garner sellouts. You're Nuts! If you want to do smaller venues that seat half that so be it. I've got no problem if Jimmy has no interest in this format. He's more than paid his dues, but just don't tell me he "Can't Do It" because it will somehow hurt him empire!
:roll:
Bottom line is Larry's more on target, just appeal to the MASSES & play it SAFE with less of an effort. And last I checked it's a free country so I'm okay with that.
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
rich_big
At the Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by rich_big »

You guys are all totally missing it, the reason Buffett won’t do it is because he doesn't have that many good songs….
The Remittance Man
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: I can only choose one?!

Post by The Remittance Man »

I'm reminded of the "Stumpo El Bando" gag from the 1997 tour...a lot of great songs he couldn't even remember. No reason why he couldn't relearn them, of course. On the other hand, a lot of stars reportedly don't like their early work - they consider it subpar - and Buffett is definitely on the record to that point with respect to his really early work. Assuming he doesn't touch Down to Earth or High Cumberland Jubilee, we're really not left with all that many rarities. Songs he doesn't do very often, sure, but rare? Not so much.
谁他妈的偷了我的比萨周六晚上? 不要他妈的, 你最好把它找回来!
sonofabeach
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

The Remittance Man wrote:I'm reminded of the "Stumpo El Bando" gag from the 1997 tour...a lot of great songs he couldn't even remember. No reason why he couldn't relearn them, of course. On the other hand, a lot of stars reportedly don't like their early work - they consider it subpar - and Buffett is definitely on the record to that point with respect to his really early work. Assuming he doesn't touch Down to Earth or High Cumberland Jubilee, we're really not left with all that many rarities. Songs he doesn't do very often, sure, but rare? Not so much.
I agree.
In my years as a parrothead, I can't think of many "rarities" that he hasn't played live in person or on the many live cds.
Then there was the Encores cd from a couple years back. He throws a few in here and there and that's fine by me.
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"
Nighthawk
I gotta go where it's warm
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 29
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum with a splash of coke

Post by Nighthawk »

I personally think Jimmy couldn't handle it. Look how many times during the tour he has a problem remember his own lyrics to his own songs. You throw in 15+ songs a night for a say 20 date tour..... Jimmy will be singing the wrong lyrics every night. I for one would love to see him do a rarities tour. That is why I stopped going to all concerts completely. Bands do the same songs year in year out and never try to challenge themselves. Sorry if I am being a downer on this. But than again, when I used to go to shows, I would be the person going to the bathroom or go buy a beer during Margaritaville, Cheeseburger, Volcano.... because its all the same everytime.
Did you hear the one about me being a punk?
Did you hear the one about me being a drunk?
Did you hear the one about me losing my nerve?
Or how I'm just another f**** sheep in the herd?
Did you hear the one about me giving a s***?
Cause if I ever did I don't remember it.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

I would think with the fortune Buffett has amassed (and continues to amass), that he could certainly afford to risk losing a few concert goers by doing something very similar to Tom Petty's tour. With 27 albums of studio material (counting the new one, Down To Earth, High Cumberland Jubilee and Rancho Deluxe) to draw from, he could surely mount a rarities tour of the same magnitude as Petty's. That's not even to mention the sort of stuff like his first 45 as well as some of the material that makes up the still unreleased Buried Treasure collection. Add to that, songs that he's done for soundtracks and compilations over the years that have never (or rarely) been performed live. Figure some previously undone cover songs into that like Petty did with "Friend of the Devil" thrown in just for the occasion and you have a fun packed evening of live entertainment. Not enough "good" songs or "rarities" to draw from? Not on your life, he has tons of great material to draw upon that has rarely been heard in a live setting. Sadly, it'll most likely never happen though.
sonofabeach
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

Nighthawk wrote:I personally think Jimmy couldn't handle it. Look how many times during the tour he has a problem remember his own lyrics to his own songs. You throw in 15+ songs a night for a say 20 date tour......
He could just get a bigger teleprompter :lol:
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"
ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

rich_big wrote:You guys are all totally missing it, the reason Buffett won’t do it is because he doesn't have that many good songs….

SAY do What????
ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

I wonder if Petty will do" I know a Girl who likes"
Congobill
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Last Mango in Paris
Number of Concerts: 60
Favorite Boat Drink: Craft Beer

Post by Congobill »

Rabbitz wrote:Seriously, why would he risk it?

Tours are expensive things to put together, lucrative if they come off but financially and reputationally damaging if they don't.

Buffett Inc. has a well proven, working, financially rewarding formula that see most gigs put up the house full sign. Clearly the regular clientele at the concerts are happy, or they wouldn't be paying the outrageous prices.

Why risk it for a very small percentage of fans?

I could see the odd, specially promoted gig here and there being worthwhile. Smaller venues, huge premium on the tickets, even bigger premiums at the beverage concessions.

Until the current method stops working, then Buffett Inc would be nuts to break with the formula.

I'm not saying he has to scrap the current tour model. Maybe just do some mini-tours -- a few shows in smaller venues in a few select cities from time to time -- where he and the band can stretch their musical wings a bit and play some different things that you normally would not see in a big-venue Buffett concert. It could even be an enhancement of the normal touring, something different for the hardcore fans who are ready to hear him play some of the stuff he rarely breaks out.
Nighthawk
I gotta go where it's warm
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 29
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum with a splash of coke

Post by Nighthawk »

Anyone remember a year or two ago where he was going to do an album a night? How long did that last----one night maybe?
Did you hear the one about me being a punk?
Did you hear the one about me being a drunk?
Did you hear the one about me losing my nerve?
Or how I'm just another f**** sheep in the herd?
Did you hear the one about me giving a s***?
Cause if I ever did I don't remember it.
Congobill
Southeast of disorder

Post by Congobill »

Nighthawk wrote:Anyone remember a year or two ago where he was going to do an album a night? How long did that last----one night maybe?

Yeah, he definitely played the "Volcano" album at least once or twice in its entirety a couple of years ago (they even released the "Volcano" show as an EP) but soon after they were back to the standard set list.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Playing albums in their entirety has become a big trend over the past 5-6 years or so. I know on their 2010-2011 Time Machine tour, Rush played Moving Pictures all the way through every night. I know Buffett performing every single one of his albums would be a massive undertaking but why even mention that you're going to do if you're not going to follow through? With that large of a band and an ample amount of time to rehearse during their downtime it seems like they could certainly pull it off. It would be a hell of a lot of work but projects of that magnitude usually are and in the end, are worth the time and effort invested in them. Then again, it wouldn't the first time that he's mentioned a new project that fell by the wayside. I'm still hoping we actually get to hear Buried Treasure.
ragtopW
Last Man Standing

Post by ragtopW »

Tiki Torches wrote:Playing albums in their entirety has become a big trend over the past 5-6 years or so. I know on their 2010-2011 Time Machine tour, Rush played Moving Pictures all the way through every night. I know Buffett performing every single one of his albums would be a massive undertaking but why even mention that you're going to do if you're not going to follow through? With that large of a band and an ample amount of time to rehearse during their downtime it seems like they could certainly pull it off. It would be a hell of a lot of work but projects of that magnitude usually are and in the end, are worth the time and effort invested in them. Then again, it wouldn't the first time that he's mentioned a new project that fell by the wayside. I'm still hoping we actually get to hear Buried Treasure.

I forget the year. but REO Speedwagon did the Back half of Hi Infidelity in order a few tours back (it's been 8 + years)
LiveandletLiver
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: I'll get back to you on this
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Diet Coke (sucks don't it)

Post by LiveandletLiver »

Everyone here wants to stuff a square peg in a round hole. As Dr Corona deftly pointed out Petty and Jimmy are two different artists and have always marched to different beats. Will Beiber fans expect him to do a tour of Sinatra songs? Are the Who going to go acoustic?

Jimmy Buffett sitting on a stool with a single spot singing old obscure songs would be a novelty not entertainment.
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

LiveandletLiver wrote:Jimmy Buffett sitting on a stool with a single spot singing old obscure songs would be a novelty not entertainment.
Congobill was asking why Buffett couldn't do a rarities tour in the manner of Tom Petty's current rarities tour. He never mentioned anything even remotely close to what you're suggesting. He even came back and made the post below which further clarifies his original one, neither of which ever mentioned a thing about Buffett "sitting on a stool with a single spot singing old obscure songs". It would involve the full band and include rarely played material from throughout his entire career, not just one era.
Congobill wrote:I'm not saying he has to scrap the current tour model. Maybe just do some mini-tours -- a few shows in smaller venues in a few select cities from time to time -- where he and the band can stretch their musical wings a bit and play some different things that you normally would not see in a big-venue Buffett concert. It could even be an enhancement of the normal touring, something different for the hardcore fans who are ready to hear him play some of the stuff he rarely breaks out.
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

ragtopW wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:Playing albums in their entirety has become a big trend over the past 5-6 years or so. I know on their 2010-2011 Time Machine tour, Rush played Moving Pictures all the way through every night. I know Buffett performing every single one of his albums would be a massive undertaking but why even mention that you're going to do if you're not going to follow through? With that large of a band and an ample amount of time to rehearse during their downtime it seems like they could certainly pull it off. It would be a hell of a lot of work but projects of that magnitude usually are and in the end, are worth the time and effort invested in them. Then again, it wouldn't the first time that he's mentioned a new project that fell by the wayside. I'm still hoping we actually get to hear Buried Treasure.

I forget the year. but REO Speedwagon did the Back half of Hi Infidelity in order a few tours back (it's been 8 + years)

Styx did this with either the Grand Illusion or Pieces of Eight as well.
Dr.Corona
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Post by Dr.Corona »

RinglingRingling wrote:
ragtopW wrote:

Styx did this with both the Grand Illusion or Pieces of Eight as well.
Fixed it for ya.

http://www.amazon.com/Styx-Grand-Illusi ... B006ESH230

Saw Boston do the "Third Stage" LP in it's entirety back in the 80's
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
LiveandletLiver
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: I'll get back to you on this
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Diet Coke (sucks don't it)

Post by LiveandletLiver »

I forget this is a site populated by music "purists".

It's called stretching things to make a point. Thought it was pretty obvious.

Guess not.
Congobill
Southeast of disorder

Post by Congobill »

LiveandletLiver wrote:Everyone here wants to stuff a square peg in a round hole. As Dr Corona deftly pointed out Petty and Jimmy are two different artists and have always marched to different beats. Will Beiber fans expect him to do a tour of Sinatra songs? Are the Who going to go acoustic?

Jimmy Buffett sitting on a stool with a single spot singing old obscure songs would be a novelty not entertainment.

If Jimmy did some one-off shows where he focused on lesser-played material from his catalog I would hope he'd have the whole band there with him. Sure, I'd go see him perform solo but the obscure songs I want to hear would sound better with the band backing him up.