Chicago show venue failures a breakdown

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

urlcenter
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 6

Chicago show venue failures a breakdown

Post by urlcenter »

Yesterday I wrote a post about how the venue Jimmy was playing in Chicago had fans upset before the show even began last night. I mentioned in that post only one issue (of many) that had fans angry and that issue was the change in parking pricing that was announced just a few days before this show.

After reading many many scathing reviews of the venue which is called FirstMerit Bank Pavilion at Northerly Island (went tickets went on sale it was known as Charter One Pavilion at Northerly Island), I think a more detailed look at how this venue failed many Parrot-Heads is in order given that there were too many problems to ignore and they need to be discussed.

1. Parking Pricing
I will review this again from previous post just so it is included in this post as part of this post concert discussion. Tickets for the 6/29/13 show went on sale on April 1, 2013 and at that time parking was included in the ticket price, which for actual seats was $157 with all Live Nation fees included. Also available was VIP parking for this show at a separate $30 through Live Nation

So what went wrong with this? Plenty

On June 26, 2013 three days before the show, the venue announced the following parking information for the day of Jimmy's show:

Parking between 2:30 pm-4:30 pm:
Adler (VIP) Lot: $49
East Lot: $49
South Lot Oversize: $120
South Lot Car: $40
Waldron Deck Car: $40
31st Street Oversize: $60
31st Street Car: $30

After 4:30 some of the lots reverted to parking being included with the price of the ticket as had been advertised. Most Parrot-Heads like to arrive early and tailgate before the show. However for this show they had to pay to park for the first two hours despite the being told parking was included in the price of the ticket at the time tickets were purchased. In short Jimmy's fans had to pay what amounts to a "tailgating fee" which is something that is not done at other venues. Also note the first parking lot in the list above is denoted as the VIP lot this the lot that parrot-heads paid $30 in advance for through Live Nation to park in, only to have pay an additional $19 dollars for parking that was already paid for.

Another issue about parking for this show is that the lots were a considerable distance from the venue (a mile to a mile and half in some posted complaints). Apparently little if any consideration was given to offering shuttle service of some sort to and from the lots and the venue especially to senior Parrot-Heads of which there were many at this show.

2. Lawn Chairs
Again when tickets when on sale it was stated that lawn chairs (no higher then 9 inches) would be allowed in the venue for those holding lawn tickets. Again this policy was changed on short notice and left every one on the lawn last night standing for the all show.

3. The Lawn (or lack of one)
Okay this seems to be one of the biggest complaints coming from last nights show and the in this case the complaints seem justified. According to several complaints from actual concert attendees, the lawn at this venue was a complete mess caused by sod becoming over saturated with water from a heavy rainstorm. The result was mud this being called absolutely disgusting and based on some descriptions this is actually kind. Many people who had lawn tickets had shoes and clothes ruined by the mud which was six plus inches deep throughout the lawn. the mud also according to some posted complaints was tossed around by some drunken concert goers.

Another issue with the lawn last night was the lack of sanitary facilities (bathrooms) which lead to people re-leaving themselves on the muddy lawn. (Think about what I wrote above about the mud being thrown around).

The other major issue with the lawn was that unlike other venues it was not a lawn with a slope so people on the lawn could see the show from there. There is almost no elevation to the lawn at this venue which made it next to impossible to see the show from the lawn and this coupled with the lawn conditions lead to a large number of walk outs very early in the show which is almost unheard of at Jimmy's shows. Some people left before the third song of the show

4. Concession stand issues
Apparently along with all of the other issues at this show, there was a shortage of all things BEER! Some reports indicate that BEER was gone by 7 pm at some concession stands which was an hour or more before Jimmy took the stage. The shortage lead to long waits in lines for beer and once people actually got beer the beer was being served WARM.

5. Sound system issues
Another complaint coming from this show was that the venue sound system was week and not balanced correctly making the show hard to hear on enjoy unless you were close to the stage. There were also issues with the video screen set up for concert goers which were not working correctly including extra screens set-up for the lawn area.

6. Other complaints
Along with the issues above there were issues in the tailgating lots over what was and was not allowed in those lots. Tents and Canopies were ordered taken down despite there not being listed as unacceptable. There was also an issue with water bottles which concert goers had been told could be brought into the venue (up to 1 liter in size max.). However instead of being allowed in water bottles were confiscated by security as concert goers entered the venue. However several cans and bottles of alcohol were brought in by the less then effective event security.

I am sure there other complaints and issues regarding this one particular Buffett concert
Last edited by urlcenter on May 2, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tigzoe
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: It's My Job
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with alcohol

Re: Chicago show venue failures a breakdown

Post by tigzoe »

Holy cow!!!!! That is pretty horrible. I thought the changes Jiffy Lube made was pretty bad but this takes the cake. So it looks like Chicago took advantage of JB when it comes to tailgating.

I would think any venue would know enough about JB and would prepare accordingly.That is totally f'ed up!
"That which is around me does not affect my mood; my mood affects that which is around me."

urlcenter
Hoot!

Post by urlcenter »

tigzoe wrote:Holy cow!!!!! That is pretty horrible. I thought the changes Jiffy Lube made was pretty bad but this takes the cake. So it looks like Chicago took advantage of JB when it comes to tailgating.

I would think any venue would know enough about JB and would prepare accordingly.That is totally f'ed up!
There have been numerous complaints posted on JB's official FB page, the venue's FB page and on Yelp pretty much all negative, this went far beyond just the tailgating aspect for this show, the conditions of the lawn were unsafe which caused many leave early

Even folks trying to listen at home at a rough time as RM was out unless you had Sirius/XM radio to listen to

Not the best night for Jimmy's fans that's for sure
Last edited by urlcenter on June 30, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Post by surfpirate »

urlcenter wrote:
tigzoe wrote:Holy cow!!!!! That is pretty horrible. I thought the changes Jiffy Lube made was pretty bad but this takes the cake. So it looks like Chicago took advantage of JB when it comes to tailgating.

There have been numerous complaints posted on JB's official FB page, the venue's FB page and on Yelp pretty much all negative.

Even folks trying to listen at home at a rough time as RM was out unless you had Sirius/XM radio to listen to

Not the best night for Jimmy's fans that's for sure
I was listening on XM .... it was rough there as well.
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |

urlcenter
Hoot!

Post by urlcenter »

Even the Chicago Tribune one of the two largest daily paper's in Chicago criticized this venue for the conditions during Jimmy's show:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertain ... 2530.story

bryan_05
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by bryan_05 »

Incredibly accurate summary. I was in the lawn and it smelled like sewage. I couldn't see the actual stage either.

Compared to the shows I've seen in Indy last night's was a disappointment.

urlcenter
Hoot!

Post by urlcenter »

bryan_05 wrote:Incredibly accurate summary. I was in the lawn and it smelled like sewage. I couldn't see the actual stage either.

Compared to the shows I've seen in Indy last night's was a disappointment.
Thank you my summary was not from my own experience but from reading complaints posted to various websites and facebook pages. I have seen only one positive review out of all of the comments I have read. I am Parrot-Head who as attended several shows at Greatwoods so I know how Buffett fans should be treated when they attend his shows.

The complaints and stories I have read throughout today make me realize that Jimmy needs to either say or do something to try and fix what happened last night

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 78
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

i'm guessing they never did a show of this magnitude!!.....as for the water bottles , i'm surprised they would let you bring them in , I don't know of a venue ( other then tanglewood in MA , but again , that's not a traditional concert venue) that lets you bring in water, or even food. I work for a theater and we don't allow it. 1. it can be booze , which I've seen tried. and sneaked in, and 2. we want you to buy it from us......but the other stuff is pretty crazy!!!!!....i'd be curious to hear from Jimmy on his thoughts of the venue.

urlcenter
Hoot!

Post by urlcenter »

TommyBahama wrote:i'm guessing they never did a show of this magnitude!!.....as for the water bottles , i'm surprised they would let you bring them in , I don't know of a venue ( other then tanglewood in MA , but again , that's not a traditional concert venue) that lets you bring in water, or even food. I work for a theater and we don't allow it. 1. it can be booze , which I've seen tried. and sneaked in, and 2. we want you to buy it from us......but the other stuff is pretty crazy!!!!!....i'd be curious to hear from Jimmy on his thoughts of the venue.
Here is a list of what was supposed to be allowed into the venue last night:

Binoculars
Blankets
Inflatable Sharks
Basketball-sized Beach Balls
Glow Bracelets and Necklaces
Backpack or small purse (searched upon entry)
Extra Clothes
Factory Sealed Water Bottle up to a liter in size (guests entering Gate 1 must pour into cups)
Food in up to a one gallon ziplock bag
6-pack size collapsible cooler
Non-aerosol bug spray and sunscreen
Small point and shoot cameras

Instead people had their water bottles which they paid for presumably confiscated as they entered he venue

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 78
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

urlcenter wrote:
TommyBahama wrote:i'm guessing they never did a show of this magnitude!!.....as for the water bottles , i'm surprised they would let you bring them in , I don't know of a venue ( other then tanglewood in MA , but again , that's not a traditional concert venue) that lets you bring in water, or even food. I work for a theater and we don't allow it. 1. it can be booze , which I've seen tried. and sneaked in, and 2. we want you to buy it from us......but the other stuff is pretty crazy!!!!!....i'd be curious to hear from Jimmy on his thoughts of the venue.

Binoculars
Blankets
Inflatable Sharks
Extra Clothes
Factory Sealed Water Bottle up to a liter in size (guests entering Gate 1 must pour into cups)

Instead people had their water bottles which they paid for presumably confiscated as they entered he venue
i'm surprised on the food...it's lost income for them if they were allowing it in...I wonder who was the brains on that call...a lot of venues are changing there policy on back packs after Boston...I was talking to someone that went to a show around here , they wouldn't let in pocketbooks or purses.

urlcenter
Hoot!

Post by urlcenter »

TommyBahama wrote:
urlcenter wrote:

Binoculars
Blankets
Inflatable Sharks
Extra Clothes

i'm surprised on the food...it's lost income for them if they were allowing it in...I wonder who was the brains on that call...a lot of venues are changing there policy on back packs after Boston...I was talking to someone that went to a show around here , they wouldn't let in pocketbooks or purses.
The bottle of water and gallon bag of food is a standard Live Nation policy which owns the venue. The temps in Chicago yesterday were very low for late June , had it been a more normal June day in Chicago with higher temps, keeping hydrated could have been issue which is why Live Nation allows water to be brought in. I can understand the backpacks in the wake of Boston, purses is a bit of reach though.

They lost regardless of the food and water bottles has hundreds reportedly walked out 3-4 songs into the show due to the lawn conditions

Nothin_But_A_Breeze
I have found me a home
Favorite Boat Drink: Captain and Diet

Post by Nothin_But_A_Breeze »

My wife and I were in the lawn and can confirm the complaints are accurate, except for one thing - bathrooms. That was the one thing we agreed was actually really good. There were numerous port-o-potties at the very back past the concessions. They were clean and i made it from our spot and back in one song. Maybe the lines were so short because people didn't think to turn around and look behind them. I also saw signs directing people to the bathroom area.

Everything else, however was a complete and utter fail. I won't go back.
If I had it all to do over again,
I'd just get myself drunk and I'd jump right back in!!!

urlcenter
Hoot!

Post by urlcenter »

Nothin_But_A_Breeze wrote:My wife and I were in the lawn and can confirm the complaints are accurate, except for one thing - bathrooms. That was the one thing we agreed was actually really good. There were numerous port-o-potties at the very back past the concessions. They were clean and i made it from our spot and back in one song. Maybe the lines were so short because people didn't think to turn around and look behind them. I also saw signs directing people to the bathroom area.

Everything else, however was a complete and utter fail. I won't go back.
Other concert goers were upset with the fact that there were not bathrooms near the front of lawn area and they could not use the ones for those that had seats. I guess some people did not want wade through the mud

ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

First large show there since they expanded over the spring. As for water bottles, part of the decision is the venue, but part is the artist. At Tinley they were never allowed for Buffett, but I brought them in for numerous other concerts. At Wrigley, I bring a bottle in for baseball games, but not when Buffett was there, and the policy was you could buy a bottle and bring it into the stands, but if you were on the field, it had to be poured into a paper cup.

Back in March, I made the decision to sit this one out--I do have some mobility issues, and I just thought the odds of an expanded venue successfully pulling off the specifics of a Buffett concert were slim. I am so glad I did that!

And, imagine what things would have been like if Chicago had gotten the kind of storms that have been so prevalent this spring and summer. At either of the TPs, you weren't that far from you car. At this place.......
"I finally know what Michael Jordan was talking about when he said he was 'in the zone'"
Jimmy Buffett, 9/4/05, Wrigley Field

bonefish
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: There's a cowboy in the jungle
Number of Concerts: 53
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum punch in the islands

Post by bonefish »

As bad as the venue sounds like it was, it's all going to depend on the money the mgmt and promoter make on where JB plays. If they make more at Northerly Isl than Tinley or Toyota, then they'll be back, especially if the demand for tickets is high.
I'd be pretty surprised if JB is ever made aware of any of these issues, it's not his responsibility or concern.
Roll with the punches
Play all of his hunches
Make the best of whatever came his way
What he lacked in ambition
He made up with intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
[img][imgsize=][imgsize=][/imgsize]

drunkpirate66
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

All Jimmy will ever hear is that there was mud some people whined about it.

He played a show in a Hurricane a few years back at Great Woods where people were bathing, sliding, banging, singing, dancing, smiling, and just plain having a fantastic time out in the mud soaked lawn in torrential downpours that reportedly dropped over 4 inches of rain throughout the concert. There was literally a 20 foot mud slide. People of all ages were having fun going down that thing. :lol:

The point being . . . Jimmy don't care.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .

urlcenter
Hoot!

Post by urlcenter »

Okay here is a photo of the Chicago venue's lawn the after the Buffett show:

nvrmnd17
I gotta go where it's warm
Number of Concerts: 44
Favorite Boat Drink: Sailor Jerry's & Coke

Post by nvrmnd17 »

This is what I paid $90 to sit in. No way. I left. This was more than just the mud you see after excessive rainfall.

Last edited by nvrmnd17 on July 1, 2013 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

nvrmnd17
I gotta go where it's warm
Number of Concerts: 44
Favorite Boat Drink: Sailor Jerry's & Coke

Post by nvrmnd17 »

urlcenter
Hoot!

Post by urlcenter »

You need to post those photos on the venue's FB page asap so people there can see what the lawn looked like

Here is the link to the page:

https://www.facebook.com/FirstMeritBankPavilion