My First Show in 10 Years - An honest review

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm
Number of Concerts: 0

My First Show in 10 Years - An honest review

Post by jbfins »

Disclaimer - I am a happily married 38 year old father of two amazing daughters who are 9 and 7 years old. Before my first daughter was born I said to my wife that I would not attend another show until she was old enough to take with us. That was about 10 years ago. Before that my wife and I were averaging 2-3 shows a year starting in 1994. I always thought that I did not miss the shows over those 10 years because I saw from the set lists that they basically hadn't changed.

I was right and I was wrong. Let's start with the con and end with the pro.

Con: Last night's show was at Jones Beach. By its nature, this tailgate is not very good and is nothing compared to what happens before shows in the South or at Great Woods in its heyday. As for the quality of attendees, I give them a 3 (10 being the highest). Just about everyone sat for the whole show and I felt like I was the only one who knew all the words to every song. Where have all of the Parrotheads gone? Lastly, the setlist was poor. I won't get into that because I know that it is an ongoing gripe.

Pro: There is no doubt in my mind that Jimmy is one of the best performers, EVER. His banter with the crowd and the band is amazing. Obviously it helped that he lives less than 80 miles from the venue and was able to make various geographical references, but even still. He has complete control of the show. And the band itself. They are as talented a group as I have ever heard live, and I really liked that each of them had a chance to shine during the show (except I think that Cultural Infidel was a very bad choice for Nadirah).

Overall - I had been waiting my older daughter's whole life to dance with her to OPH. That was my "one song." I got it, and the chance to dance with my wife and younger daughter at the same time. The people all around us sat and I am sure that they thought we were crazy. I am also sure that and I sealed their conviction when I embraced my family in a tear inducing hug when the song was over.

So what now?

Next year we go to another show at a different venue with a crew. And the year after that, well, I do have to make up for lost time I guess.

Fins up. Way UP!
"Some people never find it..."
phinhead
Overkill
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: My First Show in 10 Years - An honest review

Post by phinhead »

I don't know what the deal is with people sitting down...the last 2 Buffett shows I went to (Tampa and West Palm) we had issues with people wanting my friends and I to sit down. Maybe some people pay $135 to sit on their bums...but not me. I go there to sing, dance, and have a good time! I just ignore the request of people who ask me to sit...I don't say anything to them. I don't want to give security any excuse to kick me out. I know it may be annoying to the people behind me....but why should I only have to stand up during Margaretville, Cheeseburger, and Volcano, or whatever song they decide to stand for? It ain't no symphony we're seeing...it's the climax to an all day rock 'n' roll Island party! Stand up and enjoy it...if the people behind you don't like it...so be it!
Bring me the hot sauce, bring me a beer. Going to be the last man standing, but where do you go from here?
CheeseHead in Paradise!
License to Chill
Number of Concerts: 22

Post by CheeseHead in Paradise! »

AMEN BROTHER! :D

I feel the same at sporting events. If you'd rather sit down during a crucial defensive play, you may want to consider staying at home or bar and watch the game on tv!

John
surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Post by surfpirate »

CheeseHead in Paradise! wrote:AMEN BROTHER! :D

I feel the same at sporting events. If you'd rather sit down during a crucial defensive play, you may want to consider staying at home or bar and watch the game on tv!
And for Pete's sake ..... leave and return to your seat
BETWEEN INNINGS! Or change of possession, or ....

Just NOT during the play on the field. Nothing frosts me more .... grrrr
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |
drunkpirate66
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

The name of this thread should be "First World Problems" . . .

okay, my turn; nothing grinds my gears more then when you get stuck behind some old lady at McDonalds. She knows that she is going to have to order at some point and then pay for her order, right? But after waiting in line for however long she has to stop and look up at the menu and say something like "oh, let's see, what shall I have today . . . " and then after that ridiculous time wasting ordeal do you think she has her money out . . . nope . . . one gigantic purse from which she pulls out a smaller purse like Russian nesting doll thing from which she fiddles around and gets exact change which is usually 89 cents in nickels, pennies, life savers, and lint.

That felt good. Thanks fellas.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .
Snowparrot
Under My Lone Palm
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: **Free**

Post by Snowparrot »

Glad you had a good time.
Sounds like a fine family dae.
But please remember that some of us Parrotheads are older than--or nearly the same age as--Jimmy. Some of us have mobility problems, sore feet or hips, and just can't stand with any comfort. Don't hate us for being old, please.
Tiki Bar
Thank God the Tiki Torch Still Shines
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour / Tin Cup Chalice medley!
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Friends don't let friends drink tequila! Beer me!

Post by Tiki Bar »

drunkpirate66 wrote:The name of this thread should be "First World Problems" . . .

okay, my turn; nothing grinds my gears more then when you get stuck behind some old lady at McDonalds. She knows that she is going to have to order at some point and then pay for her order, right? But after waiting in line for however long she has to stop and look up at the menu and say something like "oh, let's see, what shall I have today . . . " and then after that ridiculous time wasting ordeal do you think she has her money out . . . nope . . . one gigantic purse from which she pulls out a smaller purse like Russian nesting doll thing from which she fiddles around and gets exact change which is usually 89 cents in nickels, pennies, life savers, and lint.

LOL!!!
jbfins wrote:Overall - I had been waiting my older daughter's whole life to dance with her to OPH. That was my "one song." I got it, and the chance to dance with my wife and younger daughter at the same time. The people all around us sat and I am sure that they thought we were crazy. I am also sure that and I sealed their conviction when I embraced my family in a tear inducing hug when the song was over.

So what now?

Next year we go to another show at a different venue with a crew. And the year after that, well, I do have to make up for lost time I guess.

Fins up. Way UP!
Sounds like a beautiful thing! Kudos, and welcome back! :D
You’re still grinning, we’re still winning, nothing left to say
I’m still gliding as I go flying down this endless wave
sistergoldenhair
Under My Lone Palm
Favorite Buffett Song: salty piece of land
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita on rocks lots of salt

Post by sistergoldenhair »

Sitting under the ez up in the rain, ready for jones beach 2.0! Was at tuesday night show. Must agree about the audience in my section. Too sedate, only interested in yellow album songs, and even then they didn't get up. The guy behind me tapped me and told me to sit down after grapefruit juicy fruit! I do not like negative vibes so i basically sat for most of the show which i bave NEVER done before. Guess that's what i get for sitting in
The cheap seats. Hoping for a more enthusiastic crowd in my section tonight. But hey, a bad day @ jb is better than a good day in reality land! Party on!
I'm just tryin to get by, being quiet and shy, in a world full of pushin and shove
bob3435
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Usually the one that I am currently listening to
Number of Concerts: 57
Favorite Boat Drink: anything someone gives while on a boat

Post by bob3435 »

After many JB concerts, you will never see the Mistress of Agave (my missus) or I sit very much. We stand and dance throughout almost the entire concert. During the Boise concert last year, he and the Coral Reefers sat down on chairs kinda like the Eagles sometimes do and played a slow soulful song. We sat during that time and enjoyed the moment. Then it was back up, party on, and dance the rest of the night away. We see people sitting but figure they just don't know Jimmy. Anyway, we refuse to sit and if someone is offended, well, it's the one real time in my life I just don't give a damn. Get up and party with us! We are growing older but we refuse to grow up.

And I hope the original poster has many years of dancing with his daughter to JB. After a lifetime of watching their parents head off, looking like fools to a JB concert, our grown children and their spouses joined us for their first concert. They partied like rock stars, tailgated like true parrotheads, and danced to the end. Brought a tear to my eye!

Bob
jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Post by jbfinscj »

We stand for most of the show.
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays

FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Post by FunkHouse9 »

jbfinscj wrote:We stand for most of the show.
Did people sit in Bristow? I was on the lawn, but it seemed like the pavilion was standing the whole time.
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.
sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

I've sat down for some songs at indoor shows but I always get up for the anthems.
Anytime I'm on the lawn, my butt has never hit the ground and never will......unless I pass out :D

Glad you had fun jbfins!
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"
surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Post by surfpirate »

FunkHouse9 wrote:
Did people sit in Bristow? I was on the lawn, but it seemed like the pavilion was standing the whole time.
I stood when I should
and sat during the ballads
when my knees said "enough!".
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |
CaptainP
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: OPH
Number of Concerts: 40
Favorite Boat Drink: Delicious Trappist Ales

Post by CaptainP »

I usually stand for about half of the show, am passed out drunk for the other half.
citcat
On a Salty Piece of Land
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40
Number of Concerts: 10
Favorite Boat Drink: margarita

Post by citcat »

surfpirate wrote:
FunkHouse9 wrote:
I stood when I should
AMEN !!!! Our knees can't handle standing up that long, so Gary and I sit at the 'calm' songs. Even then....one year some drunk obnoxious guy behind us yelled at us, "NOBODY SITS DOWN AT A BUFFETT CONCERT !!!!!!" and not in a nice way. He obviously doesn't know what it's like to have very painful knees/backs. Well, ok....he was drunk beyond all reason. You gotta give people some slack, sometimes you have no idea WHAT people are going through.
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Post by jbfinscj »

surfpirate wrote:
FunkHouse9 wrote:
I stood when I should
What SP said
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays

Saltx3
Favorite Buffett Song: Boats to Build
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: MARGARITA, FIREBALL WHISKEY

Post by Saltx3 »

FunkHouse9 wrote:
Even Kevin, with his bum knee, stood for most of the show. I think I sat a total of 30 seconds -- we were in section 303.
SALT, SALT, SALT/Linda
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

drunkpirate66 wrote:The name of this thread should be "First World Problems" . . .

same with grocery stores , I hate when you get in the express line with a couple of items ( 10 or less) , and someone is there with 15. REALLY!!!!
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

TommyBahama wrote:

same with grocery stores , I hate when you get in the express line with a couple of items ( 10 or less) , and someone is there with 15. REALLY!!!!
Both of you...stop following me! :x
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

phinhead wrote:I don't know what the deal is with people sitting down...the last 2 Buffett shows I went to (Tampa and West Palm) we had issues with people wanting my friends and I to sit down. Maybe some people pay $135 to sit on their bums...but not me. I go there to sing, dance, and have a good time! I just ignore the request of people who ask me to sit...I don't say anything to them. I don't want to give security any excuse to kick me out. I know it may be annoying to the people behind me....but why should I only have to stand up during Margaretville, Cheeseburger, and Volcano, or whatever song they decide to stand for? It ain't no symphony we're seeing...it's the climax to an all day rock 'n' roll Island party! Stand up and enjoy it...if the people behind you don't like it...so be it!
It's called cooperate tickets , most of the 1st few rows are full of them , and being near a city like NY or Boston , i'm sure there are a lot of handouts , you're not getting the real fans. Same with some sporting events , they get the freebies , and go , even if they aren't a fan or care about the game!!