Least Favorite JB cover

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

Bicycle Bill
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 1
Favorite Boat Drink: Anything with rum and pineapple juice!

Re: Least Favorite JB cover

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Tiki Torches wrote:
Bicycle Bill wrote:Seconding "She's Got You", and need to also mention "Uncle John's Band" which was from the "Fruitcakes" album as well.  Never thought it fit Jimmy's style.  Only a completist could love it.
I love both those covers but I'm not necessarily what you would call a "completist" when it comes to Buffett. Yes, I have the vast majority of everything he's ever released whether it be on vinyl or CD but I have very few of the compilations, singles, etc. that would normally be associated with the type of fan that would refer to themselves as a completist. That said, some artists are next to impossible to cover in a way that pleases everybody and the Grateful Dead would be one of them.
Let me make it clear that I was not dissing the album as "not fitting Jimmy's style" — I was referring to the song "Uncle John's Band".  There are a few cuts off that album like the title track, "Quietly Making Noise", and "Vampires, Mummies, and the Holy Ghost" that are purely Bubba having a good time; and I would love to hear Jimmy and Mac do "Love in the Library" live some night.

Maybe I can start a petition.  After all, it worked for Funkhouse and his "Nautical Wheelers" ........
-"BB"-
"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
"Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way."

sonofabeach
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: La Vie Dansante
Number of Concerts: 15
Favorite Boat Drink: Tecate

Post by sonofabeach »

In my case, when it comes to Southern Cross, Uncle Johns Band and She's Got You, Jimmy's versions were the first time I'd heard the songs.
So when I finally heard the originals, I was let down because they were not as lively and are kinda tame.
"It's crazy and it's different, but it's really bein' free"

jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Post by jbfinscj »

sonofabeach wrote:In my case, when it comes to Southern Cross, Uncle Johns Band and She's Got You, Jimmy's versions were the first time I'd heard the songs.
So when I finally heard the originals, I was let down because they were not as lively and are kinda tame.

I kind of felt the same way. He's Got You by Patsy Cline was my favorite of the originals.
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Buffett may make "Uncle John's Band" more palatable for the masses but the Dead's version of the song, especially in a live setting, is anything but "tame". They bring a level of musicianship, creativity and innovation to it that Buffett and the Reefers will never be able to bring to it, even in their wildest dreams. That's said with all due respect to the Reefers but I can say without hesitation that the Grateful Dead were on an entirely different as performers and songwriters. "Tame" was not in their vocabulary.

pair8head
God's Own Drunk
Number of Concerts: 300
Location: I'm not in the middle of nowhere but, you can see it from here.

Post by pair8head »

I've said it before and I'll say it again Defying Gravity
Is the absolute worst song ever.
SAVE THE EARTH
It's the only Planet that has chocolate.

dobzz
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: C'mon, depends on my mood
Number of Concerts: 10

Post by dobzz »

How about the Cover that WAS a Cover? Take the Weather with You by Crowded House was popular in the early 90s in Europe, I was very disappointed when Jimmy did an album title song that was a cover, but to be honest, I really do like his version nearly as much as the original.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

I love "Defying Gravity" and consider it one of my favorite Buffett songs which is perfectly fine, different strokes for different folks.

I've been familiar with Crowded House for quite a while but had never heard "Weather With You" until Buffett covered it. I don't mind the occasional cover here and there but his penchant for them had reached it's nadir by that point with 10 out of the 14 songs being by other folks (same for License To Chill was really no better though 11 out of 16 songs being covers). The last couple have their fair share of covers as well but at least they're not top loaded with them.

SpyyderJohn
Favorite Buffett Song: Songs recorded before JB could be recognized on a plane!
Number of Concerts: 22

Post by SpyyderJohn »

Without a doubt..it has to be the "All Night Long" thing from Lionel. OMG..talk about lowering standards. Brown Eyed Girl is money compared to that clam...

buffettbride
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 5
Favorite Boat Drink: Cuba Libre

Post by buffettbride »

pair8head wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again Defying Gravity
Is the absolute worst song ever.
I don't like it either.

mtheparrothead
Favorite Buffett Song: I wish lunch could last forever
Number of Concerts: 21

Post by mtheparrothead »

Gotta add "Hey Good Lookin" to this discussion as well. Great original, but it just felt like a neverending chorus of "look who my friends are".

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

mtheparrothead wrote:Gotta add "Hey Good Lookin" to this discussion as well. Great original, but it just felt like a neverending chorus of "look who my friends are".
...or, "the special guests on this song will insure airplay on mainstream country radio".

MDShark70
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 90
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in my hand
Location: Southeast of Disorder, Near the Port of Indecision, so you know, Maryland

Post by MDShark70 »

There are definitely a few bad ones out there. For me, "Trippin' Billies" was the worst I've ever experienced in person at Bristow several years ago. And it was the encore. They start into it and everybody is like "WTF"? Whatever version of Glory Days that is played the most on RM is just awful. The one part where Jimmy just kind of mumbles through the words . . .painful.

Also, though not technically a cover since Jimmy is on the original but when he does 'Knee Deep" on tour it is so much more rushed than when Zac does it. Not nearly as good IMHO.
It was too much tequila . . . . or not quite enough.

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

I was at Bristow that year and being a huge dmb fan as well; I thought it was awesome.

Different strokes, for different folks!
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.

nvrmnd17
I gotta go where it's warm
Number of Concerts: 44
Favorite Boat Drink: Sailor Jerry's & Coke

Post by nvrmnd17 »

I like when Jimmy tries out new covers even if they are a mixed bag. Some I like and listen to regularly, others I never listen to again. Still it's nice to hear something new every tour.

What I hate is when a cover returns tour after tour. Brown Eyed Girl has been a regular part of the setlist ever since I started seeing Jimmy in 91. After 40+ shows, I'd rather hear just about any song, although it does make for a good bathroom break. Another Saturday Night is another one that I have heard too many times.
Check out The TikiPod!
Get Away to the Island Side of Life with The TikiPod's unique blend of island and Trop Rock music.
http://www.tikipod.net

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

Yellow Sub......really never liked the song period , and Glory Days.

LiveandletLiver
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: I'll get back to you on this
Favorite Boat Drink: Diet Coke (sucks don't it)

Post by LiveandletLiver »

So everyone likes "You Cant Always Get What You Want" from the millennium show or has everyone just forgotten about it?

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

MDShark70 wrote:There are definitely a few bad ones out there. For me, "Trippin' Billies" was the worst I've ever experienced in person at Bristow several years ago. And it was the encore. They start into it and everybody is like "WTF"? Whatever version of Glory Days that is played the most on RM is just awful. The one part where Jimmy just kind of mumbles through the words . . .painful.

Also, though not technically a cover since Jimmy is on the original but when he does 'Knee Deep" on tour it is so much more rushed than when Zac does it. Not nearly as good IMHO.
Trippin' Billies is a truly horrid song. According to the BN setlist database, he's done it 6 times. I had the misfortune of being at 2 of those shows. The original sux and Buffett's version is even worse. What was he thinking? :o
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

I disagree LIPH

But, if you don't like even the dmb cut then it makes sense why you wouldn't like someone else covering it.

Different strokes, for different folks!
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

I imagine he covered it just because maybe he's a fan of Dave Matthews (duh). I remember when Buffett was in the news quite a bit for being one of the top concert draws that attracted folks on a largely grassroots level and Buffett cited groups such as the Dave Matthew Band and the Grateful Dead who built an audience in much the same way. So, maybe it had a little something to do with that. Or, maybe he was just attempting to appear hip and the entire notion fell flat. Sort of like him covering Talking Heads.

jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Post by jbfinscj »

Reggae accident
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays