I think Jimmy desperately needs...

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

PeretHed66
Havana Daydreamin'
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Pacifico

I think Jimmy desperately needs...

Post by PeretHed66 »

...to get a harmonica player back in the band. Listening to some stuff with Fingers on it over the weekend, and the harp just added something that I think has been missing for years.

Note that this isn't a plea to get Fingers back, that ship sailed years ago; there's gotta be somebody out there who fits the bill, there are a lot of tunes that just aren't the same without it.
More Doyle!

BalconyGirls
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: Steamer
Number of Concerts: 0

Re: I think Jimmy desperately needs...

Post by BalconyGirls »

. . I kinda agree, but yet, I don't . .

. .there's no mistake that Fingers was a special sound . . the version with him on Coast of Marseilles (sp) wow, what a classic . .

. .but I'm o k with Jimmy making the call on adding new, different sounds . . .

. .who ever thought what an impact that adding Jake and the ukelele sound would make . .

. . I'm still more than happy to wait for the next " twist " . .

. . and let me beat everyone to the " MORE COWBELLS " suggestion . . ! !

:lol:
. . " and I finally disappear . . BUT NOT YET ! ! ! "

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

PeretHed66 wrote:...to get a harmonica player back in the band. Listening to some stuff with Fingers on it over the weekend, and the harp just added something that I think has been missing for years.

Note that this isn't a plea to get Fingers back, that ship sailed years ago; there's gotta be somebody out there who fits the bill, there are a lot of tunes that just aren't the same without it.
I'm thinking if Buffett was going to bring in another harmonica player, he would have done so by now. Maybe because a player like Fingers isn't so easily replaced.

surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Post by surfpirate »

I stole that storyline once too. I've stolen just about every storyline sometimeoranother. :roll:

ImageImageImage

"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP |

jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Post by jbfinscj »

surfpirate wrote:I stole that storyline once too. I've stolen just about every storyline sometimeoranother. :roll:

ImageImageImage

Great you've gone the route of "classic BN critters" since you've retired.
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Yet another thread derailed by the inane BN Critters strip, which doesn't have a thing to do with the topic at hand.

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

Well, to be fair, Cyndi derailed it with her mention of needs more cowbell. I know I couldn't resist a Christopher Walken tangent.

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

It would be nice to have a new harmonica player but that wouldn't be my first choice for what Jimmy desperately needs. I'd rather see a setlist at a Jimmy Buffett concert full of Jimmy Buffett songs. With all the cover tunes he does he's in danger of becoming a lounge act. He might as well move to Branson and open the Margaritaville Dinner Theater.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

LIPH wrote:It would be nice to have a new harmonica player but that wouldn't be my first choice for what Jimmy desperately needs. I'd rather see a setlist at a Jimmy Buffett concert full of Jimmy Buffett songs. With all the cover tunes he does he's in danger of becoming a lounge act. He might as well move to Branson and open the Margaritaville Dinner Theater.
Ouch!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BalconyGirls
Gypsies in the palace

Post by BalconyGirls »

LIPH wrote: I'd rather see a setlist at a Jimmy Buffett concert full of Jimmy Buffett songs. .

. .
now I DO agree with that . . . what a show it would be with ALL Jimmy songs . .! ! . . so what if the younguns, sponsors, etc. don't know them . . let them catch up . . ! ! . . leave all the cover songs out . .

. . goodness knows he's written far better songs than Brown Eyed Girl . .

. . IMHO . .

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

BalconyGirls wrote:
LIPH wrote: I'd rather see a setlist at a Jimmy Buffett concert full of Jimmy Buffett songs. .

. .
now I DO agree with that . . . what a show it would be with ALL Jimmy songs . .! ! . . so what if the younguns, sponsors, etc. don't know them . . let them catch up . . ! ! . . leave all the cover songs out . .

. . goodness knows he's written far better songs than Brown Eyed Girl . .

. . IMHO . .
Be careful what you wish for, he might pick Math Sux. :lol: :lol: :P

BalconyGirls
Gypsies in the palace

Post by BalconyGirls »

lime rickie wrote:
Be careful what you wish for, he might pick Math Sux. :lol: :lol: :P
. . I think even HE would admit that wasn't his strongest work . . ! !

capnbobby
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season
Number of Concerts: 28
Favorite Boat Drink: Bacardi 8 anos

Post by capnbobby »

I too miss Fingers. (I'm not sure I like the way that sounds.) Adding a harmonica player is worth considering. I personally wouldn't do it, fearing that it would take away from Peter Mayer's guitar work and Doyle's steel guitar work.

Fins Up!
Cap'n Bobby

jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Post by jbfinscj »

lime rickie wrote:Well, to be fair, Cyndi derailed it with her mention of needs more cowbell. I know I couldn't resist a Christopher Walken tangent.

maybe a hybrid cowbell / harmonica type instrument. Oh and for the record, I wish Finger's was still with the band. His sound was essential to why i fell in love with Buffett's music in the first place.
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays

catsway
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: Quietly Making Noise
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in my Hand

Post by catsway »

Tiki Torches wrote:
PeretHed66 wrote:...to get a harmonica player back in the band. Listening to some stuff with Fingers on it over the weekend, and the harp just added something that I think has been missing for years.

I'm thinking if Buffett was going to bring in another harmonica player, he would have done so by now. Maybe because a player like Fingers isn't so easily replaced.
We thought replacing Ralph was going to hard, but Eric has such a good resume. He has done well filling those shoes. A harpoon player shouldn't be to hard to find and would make us very happy.
Sell Your Stuff, Keep the Dog, Live on an Island
Image JB & Sonny Image Cat & Way Image Mr. Utley

PeretHed66
Havana Daydreamin'

Post by PeretHed66 »

BalconyGirls wrote:. . I kinda agree, but yet, I don't . .

. .there's no mistake that Fingers was a special sound . . the version with him on Coast of Marseilles (sp) wow, what a classic . .

. .but I'm o k with Jimmy making the call on adding new, different sounds . . .

. .who ever thought what an impact that adding Jake and the ukelele sound would make . .

. . I'm still more than happy to wait for the next " twist " . .

. . and let me beat everyone to the " MORE COWBELLS " suggestion . . ! !

While I see your point, going to have to respectfully agree to disagree. The harp, as others have mentioned, was such a signature part of forming Jimmy's early sound, I just don't think it can be replaced; I think adding other sounds can help round out the music and take it different places, but that distinct sound just can't be duplicated. And no one will ever convince me that "Pirate Looks At Forty" sounds better without the harmonica part, no matter what it is subbed with.

Cheers!
More Doyle!

PeretHed66
Havana Daydreamin'

Post by PeretHed66 »

Tiki Torches wrote:

I don't know, I saw the tour the summer that Fingers got whacked when Clint Black sat in, he did an admirable job, I thought. Not looking for a replacement per se, but I have to believe there are multiple players that could do the job.

But as you point out, if he wanted a harp player, he would have made it happen a while ago. Oh well.
More Doyle!

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

When and if there's ever a farewell tour (or at least a tour where Buffett hits the larger venues one last time), I'd love to see him bring back a who's who of Coral Reefers from over the years. If I'm not mistaken, he did a show similar to that several years ago though I'm not sure if Fingers was part of it. As much as Fingers is missed (especially after he first left [or was fired, whatever happened]), I think Buffett did the best thing for all involved by soldiering on and not bringing in someone to replace him. I know there's plenty of harmonica players out there that are more than capable of filling his shoes and then some but how do you replace someone like Fingers who was such an essential part of the Coral Reefer Band, not to mention being one of the original members? I don't think you can and out of respect for Fingers and whatever happened between them, I think Buffett probably handled it in the best way possible.

Tiki Bar
Thank God the Tiki Torch Still Shines
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour / Tin Cup Chalice medley!
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Friends don't let friends drink tequila! Beer me!

Post by Tiki Bar »

I second that emotion! Wholeheartedly!

Absolute highlight of my Jimmy and the CRB concerts was Alpine 2008, with the Fingers surprise. Still get tingly just thinking about it! With him on stage, all was right with the world. He'd be my first choice, but like you said, there's a lot more candidates who could aptly blow the harp and go back to that sound of yesteryear!

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=70424
You’re still grinning, we’re still winning, nothing left to say
I’m still gliding as I go flying down this endless wave