Concert Ending at Camden

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

mayfairjim
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude
Number of Concerts: 8

Concert Ending at Camden

Post by mayfairjim »

Hi Everyone. I am new to this site and this is my very first posting. Last night my family and I went to Jimmy's concert at the Camden waterfront and couldn't have asked for a better show or better weather. Everyone had a good time. But one question kept coming up with my group and as a matter of fact quite a few other people leaving the show. During the last song (encore) It's Five O'clock Somewhere, each member of the band walked off individually after waving good-bye and then everyone came back out and bowed to the audience (like a broadway play). That got many people thinking.... is this the end of Jimmy's touring days? I certainly hope not. He was in great form as was the rest of the band. Jimmy's concert is a true family event. I even have brought in my children's spouses to become true parrot heads. Everyone truly has a good time and forgets their problems for awhile. I was just wondering.

springparrot
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: what time of day is it????
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Mudslide, Strawberry Margarita

Re: Concert Ending at Camden

Post by springparrot »

Wasn't the last song, Lovely Cruise?

He has been doing this for the final encore during this tour. Is it his last tour? Don't know.
But I do love the way he has been ending the shows.
:)

FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Post by FunkHouse9 »

springparrot wrote:Wasn't the last song, Lovely Cruise?

He has been doing this for the final encore during this tour. Is it his last tour? Don't know.
He did close with Lovely Cruise last night. There's a lot of talk about what's going to happen after this tour. Here's the facts that I know and you can make your own prediction. Jimmy did an interview around the beginning of this tour where he indicated that someone else kept going until he was 72 and Jimmy would like to do that, which would mean another 5 years. I wish I could find that interview again. In an interview with Deadline Detroit before his show there this year, Jimmy said he wants to scale back touring and use Margaritaville TV to reach more people. Those both indicate that he's not hanging it up just yet, but suggest the end may be withing sight.

One other interesting point though is that Mac sent out a tweet back on June 17 which was quickly deleted that included #OneLastTour2014. I don't remember what the rest of the tweet said, but had I known it would get deleted, I would have taken a screenshot of it. That could mean that Jimmy is hanging it up, which is contrary to the things he's said publicly in the interviews I mentioned. I'm guessing it means that Mac may be leaving the Coral Reefer Band after this tour.

Also, many people have commented that Jimmy hasn't been saying "but not yet" after "and I finally disappear" on this tour like he did every time for oh so long before. Jimmy also doesn't seem to be telling crowds that he'll see them next year like he would frequently do. But, I am pretty sure he said something to that effect last night in Camden. So, who knows? Maybe he intended to hang it up but is having a change of heart.

The "This One's For You" tour theme and playing "Lovely Cruise" as a closer (and an opening intro) sure would be a fitting and predictable farewell move for him.
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

Maybe he is not hanging it up completely, but rather scaling back to acoustic performances in smaller venues with only a few, if any, of the CRB.

While I would miss the CRB I would welcome such a tour as I think his voice these days is more suited to that type of performance - more real singing and less speak/shout. I also think this approach would surface more of the older gems and the ballads, which I am partial to anyway.

I do wonder how that approach would change the overall experience, tailgate, etc.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze

Post by FunkHouse9 »

The thought of a full concert of just Jimmy or a scaled back band would be so exciting for me, if for no other reason than it would be a huge change from the norm.
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.

drunkpirate66
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Take Another Road
Number of Concerts: 67
Favorite Boat Drink: Beers.

Post by drunkpirate66 »

FunkHouse9 wrote:

He did close with Lovely Cruise last night. There's a lot of talk about what's going to happen after this tour. Here's the facts that I know and you can make your own prediction. Jimmy did an interview around the beginning of this tour where he indicated that someone else kept going until he was 72 and Jimmy would like to do that, which would mean another 5 years. I wish I could find that interview again. In an interview with Deadline Detroit before his show there this year, Jimmy said he wants to scale back touring and use Margaritaville TV to reach more people. Those both indicate that he's not hanging it up just yet, but suggest the end may be withing sight.

One other interesting point though is that Mac sent out a tweet back on June 17 which was quickly deleted that included #OneLastTour2014. I don't remember what the rest of the tweet said, but had I known it would get deleted, I would have taken a screenshot of it. That could mean that Jimmy is hanging it up, which is contrary to the things he's said publicly in the interviews I mentioned. I'm guessing it means that Mac may be leaving the Coral Reefer Band after this tour.

Also, many people have commented that Jimmy hasn't been saying "but not yet" after "and I finally disappear" on this tour like he did every time for oh so long before. Jimmy also doesn't seem to be telling crowds that he'll see them next year like he would frequently do. But, I am pretty sure he said something to that effect last night in Camden. So, who knows? Maybe he intended to hang it up but is having a change of heart.

The "This One's For You" tour theme and playing "Lovely Cruise" as a closer (and an opening intro) sure would be a fitting and predictable farewell move for him.
I think more than anything the introduction and success of Margaritaville tv indicate that Jimmy isn't going anywhere. Unless something happens to his health over the next few months he will tour in 2015 and most of the venues will be predictable. Talk about a pioneer - first we got years of free concerts on line and now we get to see them without ever leaving your home or the bar? No way he is hanging it up.

All told he will play 30 + concerts this year that include large stadiums (Comerica Park), amphitheaters, small venues (MGM Grand, Greek Theater, Coyote Drive In), places he is has never played before (the aforementioned Greek Theater, Hershey Park, Bethel Woods), other countries (France), and a bunch of other sh*t I missed. Even if he scales down by 50% in 2015 he will still be working harder than most musical acts/bands half his age.
the hit and run is as good as any religion around this time of year . . .

AintMarvinGardens
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy in the Jungle
Number of Concerts: 3
Favorite Boat Drink: Listerine

Post by AintMarvinGardens »

FunkHouse9 wrote:

I'm fairly sure he did use the line "but not yet" last night during One Particular Harbor, but I don't remember him mentioning anything like "see you next year". Its amazing how fast the show seemed to go though, before I knew it, it was almost 10:20 and out the door.
The report of my death was an exaggeration. -Mark Twain, 1897

Everything you read on the internet is true. -Abraham Lincoln, 1866

chippewa
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by chippewa »

AintMarvinGardens wrote:
FunkHouse9 wrote:

I'm fairly sure he did use the line "but not yet" last night during One Particular Harbor, but I don't remember him mentioning anything like "see you next year". Its amazing how fast the show seemed to go though, before I knew it, it was almost 10:20 and out the door.
He said it twice, actually. At 4:15 into the song.
http://cuebas.net/buffett/20140819_camd ... arbour.mp3

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Don't posts like this pop up every year? The Drive-By Truckers do a similar thing where they walk off one at a time during encore performances of "Angels and Fuselage" and "Grand Canyon" but no one has ever taken it as any indication that it's their last tour. It's just another spin on how to end a concert.

I think Buffett has made no secret of the fact that he's scaling back his tours, which is what was behind the drive-in experiment and the implementation of Margaritaville TV. As much as he enjoys performing, I honestly don't think he'll ever completely give it up. I admire him for that as it sure beats the artists that say they're doing a "farewell" tour only to never actually go away. That's one of the things I looked up to Johnny Carson for. When he said he was going to disappear from the public eye following his retirement from The Tonight Show, he meant it. It means a lot because so many artists do the exact opposite. Some artists also refuse to do farewell tours, another admirable trait. When R.E.M. toured behind Accelerate in 2008 they knew it would be their last but didn't announce that they were disbanding until 2011 after they'd released their final album (Collapse Into Now). That left their audience wanting more, which is how it should be done. Sadly, it's a rare exception. When Led Zeppelin called it quits after John Bonham died in 1980, they stuck to their guns for the most part by never embarking on another tour. They've done a few one-offs, including the only full length concert (02 Arena in 2007) they've done since Bonham's passing. In all likelihood, that will turn out to be their last performance.

ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Post by ejr »

But not yet is very different from see you next year as the former could easily simply refer to the remainder of the tour. will admit I have not listened to every concert on this tour, but with the exception of the woodstock show, I have not heard a reference to next year,at least not within the final song where it usually happens.

I also think the opening has some causes to wonder--the showing of the list of all the cities he has played in, followed by a focus on the city of the concert is a "winding down" sort of thing to do.
"I finally know what Michael Jordan was talking about when he said he was 'in the zone'"
Jimmy Buffett, 9/4/05, Wrigley Field

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

Retire from what?

Jimmy is not going anywhere. Dates might be toned down a bit but he is a crowd junkie. I forget where he said it but "I'm a sucker for applause."

On a personal note - I would love to see him scale back the "BIG" tours and do smaller venues. I know this ship has passed but maybe do a few special shows with Fingers Taylor and some of the current CRB. One can dream....

FINS UP!!!!!!!!!!
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

Would love to see some shows in more intimate venues myself but I'm not sure how up to performing Fingers is these days as he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's at least as recently as last year. Glen Campbell soldiered on for as long as he could but his touring days are definitely behind him at this point.

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

Tiki Torches wrote:Would love to see some shows in more intimate venues myself but I'm not sure how up to performing Fingers is these days as he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's at least as recently as last year. Glen Campbell soldiered on for as long as he could but his touring days are definitely behind him at this point.

Oh, man. I didn't know that. :(

I know Fingers will put up The Good Fight.
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.

PeretHed66
Havana Daydreamin'
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Pacifico

Post by PeretHed66 »

Tiki Torches wrote:Would love to see some shows in more intimate venues myself but I'm not sure how up to performing Fingers is these days as he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's at least as recently as last year. Glen Campbell soldiered on for as long as he could but his touring days are definitely behind him at this point.
I heard the Alzheimer's report over a year ago, so unfortunately, that just ain't in the cards. I'd say an acoustic tour with Mac would be more likely, but I don't see that happening either. I do wish he'd get a harp player back in the band, the old songs (and even the newer ones where Fingers guested, I think it was Take the Weather album, or am I mis-remembering) just sound so much better.
More Doyle!

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

Campell played last year at a theatre I bartend at , according to his people , it's a concern when they have a scheduled date , I think his daughter performs with him. Shows could be anywhere from a 1/2 hour to 90 minutes.
As for Jimmy and retiring , I think he would let us know , ticket prices would go way up ( Venues cashing in , my opinion only), or he would do Stadium shows.I don't think he would go out without a Farewell tour

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

I have some friends that saw Glen Campbell a year or two ago when he was touring with Merle Haggard. They said he did good for the most part but there were a few moments where he was less than lucid. Obviously understandable considering his condition. He was admitted to a full time care facility this past April and has permanently retired from touring at this point.

Not sure how Buffett will handle his retirement (or if he will retire at all) but if he does go the farewell tour route, I sincerely hope he sticks to his guns. As I mentioned, there's nothing worst (at least to me) than the artists that keep coming out of retirement for continual farewell tours just to make one more cash grab.

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

Tiki Torches wrote:I have some friends that saw Glen Campbell a year or two ago when he was touring with Merle Haggard. They said he did good for the most part but there were a few moments where he was less than lucid. Obviously understandable considering his condition. He was admitted to a full time care facility this past April and has permanently retired from touring at this point.

Not sure how Buffett will handle his retirement (or if he will retire at all) but if he does go the farewell tour route, I sincerely hope he sticks to his guns. As I mentioned, there's nothing worst (at least to me) than the artists that keep coming out of retirement for continual farewell tours just to make one more cash grab.
I don't think he can retire now , with his restaurants and Casino's , personally I think they suffer if he doesn't tour , or at least has standing engagements there. Out of site out of mind.

juliancolton
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Changes, Floridays, When the Coast is Clear
Number of Concerts: 1

Post by juliancolton »

Just curious, does he usually say "see you next year"? I honestly don't remember now.
this ain't Duval Street, but this'll do.

ParrotHead67
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Who's The Blonde Stranger
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Haven't had a bad one yet
Location: Woke up dry beneath the African sky, just me and my Swiss Army Knife

Post by ParrotHead67 »

For anyone interested, he said, "Not Yet" 3 times during OPH tonight. I'm with Tiki, FinsUp6835, drunkpirate66 etc... I'm pretty sure he loves it too much to give it up. Anyway what do I know??? I still love when he sings, "Southern Cross" at concerts (much to the chagrin of most on here. :wink: )
"I gotta go where it's warm!"

FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze

Post by FunkHouse9 »

TommyBahama wrote: I don't think he can retire now , with his restaurants and Casino's , personally I think they suffer if he doesn't tour , or at least has standing engagements there. Out of site out of mind.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I have seen several different articles and posts which indicate Jimmy May be selling off his ownership of many of his own ventures.