Concert Ending at Camden

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

capnbobby
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season
Number of Concerts: 28
Favorite Boat Drink: Bacardi 8 anos

Re: Concert Ending at Camden

Post by capnbobby »

Nighthawk wrote:I hate to say it, but I see the end is near. He can not sell out like he used to. Tickets are widely available when he hits the stage. He isn't selling out like he used to. Is it that he is charging way too much, or people just do not have the disposable income anymore? No one really knows.... I know i don't have the income for a pair of tickets at @ $150+ a piece.... Yeah I know there is lawn, but I will not do lawn due to the weather. I think at most we have maybe at most 3 years if we are lucky. I for one, would much rather see him hang it up while he still can, maybe do a few select shows a year. Hopefully solo, but if not just a few select people with him on stage....and make it much more of an experience as it once was back in the day.
I think it is a variety of factors. The price of going to a Buffett show is very high, about $139 a pop inside. And a lot of people don't have that disposable income. I also think that the shows have gotten a bit stale. In other words, if you saw a Buffett show 3-4 years ago, it's not that different from seeing a show this year. Do you really want to spend $140 on something you've already seen. And I also think that the number of covers that he's playing, 10 or 11 a show, is a disincentive to spend all that money. I think it's a combination of things.

Fins Up!
Cap'n Bobby

SharkysMV1
I need two more boat drinks
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Tonics

Post by SharkysMV1 »

capnbobby wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:I hate to say it, but I see the end is near. He can not sell out like he used to. Tickets are widely available when he hits the stage. He isn't selling out like he used to. Is it that he is charging way too much, or people just do not have the disposable income anymore? No one really knows.... I know i don't have the income for a pair of tickets at @ $150+ a piece.... Yeah I know there is lawn, but I will not do lawn due to the weather. I think at most we have maybe at most 3 years if we are lucky. I for one, would much rather see him hang it up while he still can, maybe do a few select shows a year. Hopefully solo, but if not just a few select people with him on stage....and make it much more of an experience as it once was back in the day.
I think it is a variety of factors. The price of going to a Buffett show is very high, about $139 a pop inside. And a lot of people don't have that disposable income. I also think that the shows have gotten a bit stale. In other words, if you saw a Buffett show 3-4 years ago, it's not that different from seeing a show this year. Do you really want to spend $140 on something you've already seen. And I also think that the number of covers that he's playing, 10 or 11 a show, is a disincentive to spend all that money. I think it's a combination of things.

Fins Up!
Cap'n Bobby
Couldnt have said it better myself, Cap'n Bobby. This is exactly where my thought process is at.
Saw many shows at Great Woods and Mohegan Sun from 2005-2012. I feel the peak show for us was Great Woods 2008 during the tropical storm, and all the shows we saw after that were a bit "stale" in comparison. I miss the different solo encores of a few years ago, among other things. That being said, I really want to see him once more!
Taste for the good life, I could live it no other way...

Nighthawk
I gotta go where it's warm
Favorite Buffett Song: Defying Gravity
Number of Concerts: 29
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum with a splash of coke

Post by Nighthawk »

SharkysMV1 wrote:
capnbobby wrote:

Fins Up!
Cap'n Bobby
Couldnt have said it better myself, Cap'n Bobby. This is exactly where my thought process is at.
Saw many shows at Great Woods and Mohegan Sun from 2005-2012. I feel the peak show for us was Great Woods 2008 during the tropical storm, and all the shows we saw after that were a bit "stale" in comparison. I miss the different solo encores of a few years ago, among other things. That being said, I really want to see him once more!

I haven't gone since like 2007 or so. They are the same recycled show every year, and more times than not it almost seems like he mails the show in. 2000, 2001 were great years.
Did you hear the one about me being a punk?
Did you hear the one about me being a drunk?
Did you hear the one about me losing my nerve?
Or how I'm just another f**** sheep in the herd?
Did you hear the one about me giving a s***?
Cause if I ever did I don't remember it.

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

He def. Needs to shake the show up a bit. The masses eat it up though. He needs to just say ***** it and play what he wants. Unfortunately I think there is a disconnect because everytime he is interviewed he brings up the fact that he would get killed if he didn't play the big 10. Which I don't think is the case at all. Especially with mville tv... Why would you go to another show when it's free on the web?

Hopefully it will change next year
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

capnbobby wrote:

Fins Up!
Cap'n Bobby
It's been said that Buffett reads this board (the "Last Posts from 'Jim Buffett'" thread notwithstanding). If so, you would think he'd pick up on the level of dissatisfaction with his shows as of late. Maybe, it's that he just doesn't care. I haven't attended a concert of his since the mid-90's but would be enticed to return if he were to mix it up. He could do that in any number of ways like ditching the covers and digging deep into the treasure chest, bringing in former Reefers or other special guests. One thing I'd love to see would be a songwriters in the round type tour of small venues with Buffett, Jerry Jeff, Buzz Cason, Mac, Todd Snider, Willie, Billy Joe Shaver, etc. but if it doesn't involve inflatable sharks, wearing a cheeseburger hat on his head and schtick that got old eons ago, I very seriously doubt anything like that's on his radar. Sounds as though the self confessed court jester has become a parody of himself. Well, that actually happened long ago, it's just now dawning on the Parrothead faithful.

FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Post by FunkHouse9 »

Tiki Torches wrote:
capnbobby wrote:

Fins Up!
Cap'n Bobby
It's been said that Buffett reads this board (the "Last Posts from 'Jim Buffett'" thread notwithstanding). If so, you would think he'd pick up on the level of dissatisfaction with his shows as of late. Maybe, it's that he just doesn't care. I haven't attended a concert of his since the mid-90's but would be enticed to return if he were to mix it up. He could do that in any number of ways like ditching the covers and digging deep into the treasure chest, bringing in former Reefers or other special guests. One thing I'd love to see would be a songwriters in the round type tour of small venues with Buffett, Jerry Jeff, Buzz Cason, Mac, Todd Snider, Willie, Billy Joe Shaver, etc. but if it doesn't involve inflatable sharks, wearing a cheeseburger hat on his head and schtick that got old eons ago, I very seriously doubt anything like that's on his radar. Sounds as though the self confessed court jester has become a parody of himself. Well, that actually happened long ago, it's just now dawning on the Parrothead faithful.
For the record, there is NOTHING wrong with cheeseburger hats!!! :)
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

FunkHouse9 wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:
capnbobby wrote:

Fins Up!
Cap'n Bobby
I guess you speak from experience. ;) It's just that when I saw this the other day, I figured it didn't bode well for the future of Buffett.

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle

Post by FinsUp6835 »

I respectfully disagree
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

FinsUp6835 wrote:I respectfully disagree
And definitely speaks from experience. :lol: :lol: :P
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!

Post by FinsUp6835 »

lime rickie wrote:
FinsUp6835 wrote:I respectfully disagree
And definitely speaks from experience. :lol: :lol: :P
I am a little confused...did I miss something?

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

Disagree with the post about mailing it in. Jimmy and the CRB were energetic, engaged, and tight at GW. And they looked like they were genuinely having a great time. More covers than I would have liked - but then again, Into the Mystic was sublime. Move that in and take an older cover (BEG) out. Felt the same way about All Night Long last year. If half the set is going to be covers then mix it up from year to year.

Maybe they need to do two sorts of tours...smaller, acoustic, oldies, classics for us geezers and then the newer, karaoke, countryish stuff for the newbs who prefer that.

Just so happy Jimmy is still coming around, even if (when) the future frequency and venue sizes shrink. And so glad to be in the company of BNers here on the board or at whatever shows come our way.

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!

Post by FinsUp6835 »

lime rickie wrote:Disagree with the post about mailing it in. Jimmy and the CRB were energetic, engaged, and tight at GW. And they looked like they were genuinely having a great time. More covers than I would have liked - but then again, Into the Mystic was sublime. Move that in and take an older cover (BEG) out. Felt the same way about All Night Long last year. If half the set is going to be covers then mix it up from year to year.

Maybe they need to do two sorts of tours...smaller, acoustic, oldies, classics for us geezers and then the newer, karaoke, countryish stuff for the newbs who prefer that.

Just so happy Jimmy is still coming around, even if (when) the future frequency and venue sizes shrink. And so glad to be in the company of BNers here on the board or at whatever shows come our way.
Oh, sorry you misunderstood. I was talking about the cheeseburger hat comment tiki posted.

I think he needs to just switch it up and believe in his songs again.

FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze

Post by FunkHouse9 »

Tiki Torches wrote:
FunkHouse9 wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:
capnbobby wrote:

Fins Up!
Cap'n Bobby
I guess you speak from experience. ;) It's just that when I saw this the other day, I figured it didn't bode well for the future of Buffett.

Making a long story short, my first avatar here was wearing a cheeseburger hat at a Margaritaville cafe store, though I didn't actually buy the hat. Much later, I changed my avatar and everyone asked why no hat, so I photoshopped it onto the new photo. Every BN person I met at concerts wanted to know why I didn't bring the hat and it was because I didn't actually own one. Then, a very generous BN person sent me the exact same one as a gift. It unintentionally became what I was known for to quite a few people here here. Nautical Wheelers seems to have now overtaken that though.

ImageImage

Also, the hat from Margaritaville is exponentially better looking than the crappy one he wore in Hershey.
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk

Post by lime rickie »

FunkHouse9 wrote:Also, the hat from Margaritaville is exponentially better looking than the crappy one he wore in Hershey.
I have the foam one like Jimmy is wearing. Your Margaritaville one is definitely much better quality. :lol:

FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze

Post by FunkHouse9 »

lime rickie wrote:
FunkHouse9 wrote:Also, the hat from Margaritaville is exponentially better looking than the crappy one he wore in Hershey.
I have the foam one like Jimmy is wearing. Your Margaritaville one is definitely much better quality. :lol:
It couldn't have been cheap, even if it wasn't Margaritaville branded.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

FinsUp6835 wrote:Oh, sorry you misunderstood. I was talking about the cheeseburger hat comment tiki posted.
This is what's the matter with 'murica.

Jim Buffett
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: The Next One I Write
Number of Concerts: 300

Post by Jim Buffett »

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus :pirate:
Well, I'm still here. Didn't have to go to rehab, and I'm not broke.

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!

Post by FinsUp6835 »

Jimmy does not come on here

cozican
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: PIRATE LOOKS AT FORTY
Number of Concerts: 4

Post by cozican »

After a "This one's for you" tour I expect a "This one's for ME" tour soon.
Seen him inside at Tulsa, 3X outside at Frisco......now I need a beach!

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

FinsUp6835 wrote:Jimmy does not come on here
Of course he doesn't. I seem to remember some quote where he mentioned the Church of Buffett, Orthodox in concert. I believe it was something to the effect of "They think I haven't made anything worth a sh*t since 1976."