Our discussion board has been updated to a newer version. If you have a problem with viewing try clearing your browser's cache and refresh.

Rotating Set List

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Rotating Set List

Post by FinsUp6835 » September 12, 2014 9:12 am

I just watched a preview about Eric church's upcoming world tour. He mentioned that he will be doing a rotating set list. NO city will be the same...

I wish Jimmy would do this for next years tour. "Songs You May Not Know By Heart" would be awesome. I think this upcoming tour is the perfect chance to switch it up. Especially with the launch of Mville TV.

Should we try and start a petition?

I would also love to see other acts switch it up too -
Kenny chesney, zac brown... It seems as many acts these days stick to a standard list.
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.

A1A-BJB
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Too many to pick
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: All kinds of rum

Re: Rotating Set List

Post by A1A-BJB » September 12, 2014 9:25 am

Agreed. Time for him to pull some half-buried songs from the ol' treasure chest of the past.

Personally, I prefer a new CD of previously unreleased material, or material only seen on other CDs or compilations (ie. Trouble On The Horizon, from the CD "Music For Mother Ocean")
". . .Can't get no gyro, smokin' in a bar in Cairo. . ."

RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling » September 12, 2014 9:55 am

and do something other than phone in an appearance, padded with a little "it's great to be in xxxxxxxx" patter, and then on to the next town? Yellow album fans and/or License to Chill fans spending even more time on their phones or squeeeing in the bathroom because they came to a Buffett concert?

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle

Post by FinsUp6835 » September 12, 2014 10:35 am

The best was watching people not pay attention when he sang He Went to Paris this year. Wait not the best but a tragedy. Like c mon! If that song doesn't give you goosebumps, you may want to check your pulse
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.

surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Post by surfpirate » September 12, 2014 11:20 am

FinsUp6835 wrote:The best was watching people not pay attention when he sang He Went to Paris this year. Wait not the best but a tragedy. Like c mon! If that song doesn't give you goosebumps, you may want to check your pulse
Well therein is the problem.
While a (probably smaller) hardcore, online posting, RadioMargaritaville listening,
Margaritaville TV watching, EVERY SHOW set list analyzing crowd
would appreciate a rotating set list of deep tracks ....

... the (probably larger) crowd of concert goers want to dance and party and sing along to cover songs and hits they know by heart.

Someone's not going to be satisfied and dollars speak loudest. Jimmy is also now responsible
for the concert income of a lot more people today than he was decades ago; the Coral Reefer Band, roadies,
and dozens and dozens,
heck perhaps hundreds of other people ... all of that weighs in on the decisions as well.

He is pushing 70 years old. My guess is he is giving the "heads up" to the many people depending on
his concert touring decisions that things are going to slow down and/or change, and soon.

Fewer of the "standard annual amphitheatre" venues (some will be left out),
a few "mega stadium shows" perhaps? mixed with a few smaller fun venues?
More fun places like Antigua, Hawaii, Paris, Australia, New Zealand? Who knows?

His choices will impact the people that directly and indirectly work for him,
and obviously his fans.

And some (many) will not be satisfied. I can't think of any "win/win" scenario that will make everyone happy.
ImageTM
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP | THE BOOK
ImageImage

PA Parrot
Overkill
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything from A1A or White Sportcoat
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Something strong

Post by PA Parrot » September 12, 2014 1:10 pm

But I must hear Brown Eyed Girl at least one more time!!!!! Oh, oh...and Southern Cross too!!!!
Kevin

PA Parrot
Overkill
Favorite Buffett Song: Anything from A1A or White Sportcoat
Favorite Boat Drink: Something strong

Post by PA Parrot » September 12, 2014 1:10 pm

Cheeseburger!!!!!!!! Woo-hooooo!!!
Last edited by PA Parrot on September 12, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!

Post by FinsUp6835 » September 12, 2014 1:14 pm

surfpirate wrote:
FinsUp6835 wrote:The best was watching people not pay attention when he sang He Went to Paris this year. Wait not the best but a tragedy. Like c mon! If that song doesn't give you goosebumps, you may want to check your pulse
While a (probably smaller) hardcore, online posting, RadioMargaritaville listening,

... the (probably larger) crowd of concert goers want to dance and party and sing along to cover songs and hits they know by heart.

Someone's not going to be satisfied and dollars speak loudest. Jimmy is also now responsible
for the concert income of a lot more people today than he was decades ago; the Coral Reefer Band, roadies,
and dozens and dozens,
heck perhaps hundreds of other people ... all of that weighs in on the decisions as well.

He is pushing 70 years old. My guess is he is giving the "heads up" to the many people depending on
his concert touring decisions that things are going to slow down and/or change, and soon.

and obviously his fans.

And some (many) will not be satisfied. I can't think of any "win/win" scenario that will make everyone happy.
Well said. I fully understand and always said Jimmy plays for the masses. I get it. I really do. I am happy that he is STILL touring. I just wish he would throw in a few shows that are for those "diehard" fans that you mentioned. Or, do something similar to what Dave Matthews did this past year - first set acoustic - 2nd set full band. This way he could satisfy all of the people who come to the concert. My point and the reason I started this thread is because the show needs to get a "fresh coat" of paint. It needs to be revived if you will. I said the same thing about Kenny for a few years. Hopefully his show will be a bit different next summer.
Play the yellow album, I enjoy them but also play for your true phans. I think a Jimmy needs to believe in his songs again and talent.

He is a legend. He can play whatever the hell he wants!

Fins up

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH » September 12, 2014 1:40 pm

This would actually require putting some effort into the show, which is something that's been missing the last few years, so I don't see it ever happening.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

surfpirate
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: African Friend
Number of Concerts: 98

Post by surfpirate » September 12, 2014 1:41 pm

FinsUp6835 wrote:
surfpirate wrote:

and dozens and dozens,

and obviously his fans.

Well said. I fully understand and always said Jimmy plays for the masses. I get it. I really do. I am happy that he is STILL touring. I just wish he would throw in a few shows that are for those "diehard" fans that you mentioned. Or, do something similar to what Dave Matthews did this past year - first set acoustic - 2nd set full band. This way he could satisfy all of the people who come to the concert. My point and the reason I started this thread is because the show needs to get a "fresh coat" of paint. It needs to be revived if you will. I said the same thing about Kenny for a few years. Hopefully his show will be a bit different next summer.
Play the yellow album, I enjoy them but also play for your true phans. I think a Jimmy needs to believe in his songs again and talent.

He is a legend. He can play whatever the hell he wants!

Fins up
Totally agree. His acoustic encores a few years ago (which led to the Encores CD),
was terrific. I have only heard My African Friend once in concert. I would love to hear that live one more time.
ImageTM
"There are no stupid questions. But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
BNCRITTERS.COM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | SURF SHOP | THE BOOK
ImageImage

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie » September 12, 2014 2:00 pm

surfpirate wrote: Totally agree. His acoustic encores a few years ago (which led to the Encores CD),
was terrific. I have only heard My African Friend once in concert. I would love to hear that live one more time.
I really prefer, and miss, those acoustic encores.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!

Post by FinsUp6835 » September 12, 2014 2:19 pm

lime rickie wrote:
surfpirate wrote: Totally agree. His acoustic encores a few years ago (which led to the Encores CD),
I really prefer, and miss, those acoustic encores.

Ditto.

And surfpirate I missed you at Hershey. I met MauiDeb and we got to talking. She mentioned that you and others were at the campsite. I am going to try and make it to Woodstock next year!

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches » September 12, 2014 2:20 pm

Somehow, other artists are able to mix up their setlists from night to night without fear of revolt from their fans, yet Buffett has never really gone out on a limb in that regard. Considering how many fans catch him on multiple nights, it seems like there would be even more of an impetus to shake things up but he doesn't. Instead, he's settled into a comfortable rut.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches » September 12, 2014 3:06 pm

Could you imagine Buffett doing something like Elvis Costello has done in years past by having a spinning songbook? No, me either but it would be cool if he did.

FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 22
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Post by FunkHouse9 » September 12, 2014 3:07 pm

RinglingRingling wrote:and do something other than phone in an appearance, padded with a little "it's great to be in xxxxxxxx" patter...

We were told they knew how to rock in Shelbyville.... But nobody rocks like... (looks at the back of his guitar) SPRINGFIELD!!!
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.

jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm

Post by jbfins » September 12, 2014 3:26 pm

10+ years ago he did three shows (one each year) to benefit his kids' school. The venues and setlists were amazing each year and the fact that I missed the second show still bothers me to this day.

I hope that one day he brings it full circle. Get rid of the band entirely and does a few solo shows in smaller venues. I don't care what he would charge, $300, $400, $1,000+. Give me one more small solo show without the Yellow Album and regular covers and I'll die happy.

Seeing as how so many other artists of his generation (and more recent generations) do this, I don't think that it is too much to wish for.
"Some people never find it..."

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches » September 12, 2014 3:40 pm

He doesn't even have to lose the Coral Reefers to make it happen. While some songs work fine in a solo setting there are others that are more well suited to the full band treatment, even if it's not the entire Coral Reefer Band.

wiscoleeds
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: school boy heart

Post by wiscoleeds » September 12, 2014 4:46 pm

Survey says....

1. Most people don't want that. They want the hits and covers and a hell of a fun day out.

Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches » September 12, 2014 5:01 pm

wiscoleeds wrote:Survey says....

1. Most people don't want that. They want the hits and covers and a hell of a fun day out.
These are the mind numbed robots (I think you folks refer to them as "yellow album listeners") that Buffett loves to pander to. Thankfully, there's lots of other artists out there that aren't afraid to think outside the box and actually challenge their fan base by not catering to their every whim.

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!

Post by FinsUp6835 » September 12, 2014 6:50 pm

Tiki Torches wrote:
wiscoleeds wrote:Survey says....

These are the mind numbed robots (I think you folks refer to them as "yellow album listeners") that Buffett loves to pander to. Thankfully, there's lots of other artists out there that aren't afraid to think outside the box and actually challenge their fan base by not catering to their every whim.

I don't think they are mind numbed robots - they are just casual fans who want to hear the big hits and get their $$$$ worth. I get it.