Rotating Set List

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

ejr
On a Salty Piece of Land

Re: Rotating Set List

Post by ejr »

I know I sound like a broken record on this, but Springsteen is able to mix up his setlists and nobody gets upset about it; in fact part of the fun is anticipating what you might hear. and, one of the times I saw the Rolling Stones, they did not play Satisfaction. He is a big enough act that he could mix it up more, and skip some of those yellow album songs.
"I finally know what Michael Jordan was talking about when he said he was 'in the zone'"
Jimmy Buffett, 9/4/05, Wrigley Field
Tiki Torches
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Tiki Torches »

ejr wrote:I know I sound like a broken record on this, but Springsteen is able to mix up his setlists and nobody gets upset about it; in fact part of the fun is anticipating what you might hear. and, one of the times I saw the Rolling Stones, they did not play Satisfaction. He is a big enough act that he could mix it up more, and skip some of those yellow album songs.
I wholeheartedly agree. Buffett appears to be locked into so much of a routine that he's afraid to deviate from it for fear of alienating his audience.
Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

I know of no fan who would be upset if he dumped over played yawn songs like Cheeseburger In Paradise, Southern Cross, 5 Oclock Somewhere, etc, in favor of songs like Come To the Moon, That's What Living Is To Me, Something So Feminine About A Mandolin, etc.
And if they DO get upset, they haven't been listening to Buffett long enough or only heard his yellow album songs.
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

FinsUp6835 wrote:
Tiki Torches wrote:
wiscoleeds wrote:Survey says....

1. Most people don't want that. They want the hits and covers and a hell of a fun day out.
These are the mind numbed robots (I think you folks refer to them as "yellow album listeners") that Buffett loves to pander to. Thankfully, there's lots of other artists out there that aren't afraid to think outside the box and actually challenge their fan base by not catering to their every whim.

I don't think they are mind numbed robots - they are just casual fans who want to hear the big hits and get their $$$$ worth. I get it.
shoot, that is what internet jukeboxes are for; Even if you play the whole album, cheaper than the cost of lawn seat....
RinglingRingling
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: Glory Days
Favorite Boat Drink: Landshark, and Margaritaville products...

Post by RinglingRingling »

Tiki Torches wrote:
ejr wrote:I know I sound like a broken record on this, but Springsteen is able to mix up his setlists and nobody gets upset about it; in fact part of the fun is anticipating what you might hear. and, one of the times I saw the Rolling Stones, they did not play Satisfaction. He is a big enough act that he could mix it up more, and skip some of those yellow album songs.
I wholeheartedly agree. Buffett appears to be locked into so much of a routine that he's afraid to deviate from it for fear of alienating his audience.
Even if he did alienate some of the folks that came onboard with "License to Chill", or a bunch of the yellow album fans (at least we wouldn't have to watch some video that looks like it was done by his grandkids to be background for "CBiP", I doubt he'd be reduced to eating ramen three nights a week or living in a refrigerator box under the I-5.
SunLover
Here We Are
Favorite Buffett Song: The next show I capture

Post by SunLover »

Since all his shows are on RM and several are streamed on Marg TV, he really could change the setlists up a bit. Anyone listening to RM will most likely hear something they like, even if it is not a Yellow Album track or one of the other regular songs. I think even people at the shows would like to hear other stuff. It's a Jimmy show, how 'bout some more Jimmy songs.

I've been editing some older shows from around 1999 or so and loved hearing some of the lesser played songs like Gravity Storm, Flesh and Bone, Blue Guitar... So many to choose from if he could get away from some of the songs he's been stuck with lately.
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 »

Well said SunLover...

Even with the big 12 being played (including knee deep and 5) that still gives him 14-15 songs to switch it up every show. Based off a 26-27 song set. If he changed those 15 songs every night then he would make the diehards and casual fans very happy.
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle

Post by FinsUp6835 »

Well said SunLover...

Even with the big 12 being played (including knee deep and 5) that still gives him 14-15 songs to switch it up every show. Based off a 26-27 song set. If he changed those 15 songs every night then he would make the diehards and casual fans very happy.
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Post by FunkHouse9 »

FinsUp6835 wrote:Well said SunLover...

Hell, he could play the big 12 plus 12 covers and still have room in the set for 2-3 unique songs every night.

Hell, you might even be able to trick me into being happy if he was just playing one unique JB song (hasn't been played live in at least two years) and one unique cover (hasn't been played live in at least a year, but preferably something not predictable) every night, even if it sucked.
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.
jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Post by jbfinscj »

FunkHouse9 wrote:

Hell, he could play the big 12 plus 12 covers and still have room in the set for 2-3 unique songs every night.

Hell, you might even be able to trick me into being happy if he was just playing one unique JB song (hasn't been played live in at least two years) and one unique cover (hasn't been played live in at least a year, but preferably something not predictable) every night, even if it sucked.

Honestly funky, you don't even deserve to have an opinion on this subject. For goodness sakes man, he sang a song for you. You don't see parrothead red ever complaining.
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!

Post by FinsUp6835 »

Lol that is true.

Speaking of Parrothead Red. How does that guy afford to go to every show lol. I want his job...
FunkHouse9
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Nautical Wheelers
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Crown Royal & Ginger Ale

Post by FunkHouse9 »

jbfinscj wrote:
FunkHouse9 wrote:

Honestly funky, you don't even deserve to have an opinion on this subject. For goodness sakes man, he sang a song for you. You don't see parrothead red ever complaining.
Funny how that counter-argument changes depending on the subject. Usually you are fastest to point out that he didn't play it for me, he played it for all "400" of us. But, when used to make me feel bad, in that case, it was all about me. I'm starting to think you don't love me anymore. I'm starting to wonder if I love you anymore. You certainly aren't the man I once knew. Perhaps we should get a divorce. :cry: :wink:

EDIT: On a side note, could you please keep the side discussions exclusively in the appropriate "side-discussion forum" where that kind of disruption is tolerated?
Maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do, it's the child in us we really value.
jbfinscj
Lester Polyester
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays, Tin Cup Chalice, Prince of Tides, Tides, Earles Dead
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Coconut Rum

Post by jbfinscj »

FunkHouse9 wrote:
jbfinscj wrote:
FunkHouse9 wrote:

Funny how that counter-argument changes depending on the subject. Usually you are fastest to point out that he didn't play it for me, he played it for all "400" of us. But, when used to make me feel bad, in that case, it was all about me. I'm starting to think you don't love me anymore. I'm starting to wonder if I love you anymore. You certainly aren't the man I once knew. Perhaps we should get a divorce. :cry: :wink:

EDIT: On a side note, could you please keep the side discussions exclusively in the appropriate "side-discussion forum" where that kind of disruption is tolerated?

Oh funky, I didn't mean it like that. I'm chartering a private jet to fly me to Maryland, we can work this out. After all, you are my "brother to another....well truthfully I don't know who or what in their right mind would claim you."
I'm back to livin' Floridays
Blue skies and ultra-violet rays