Page 11 of 14

Re: This one really for you?????

Posted: February 18, 2015 11:00 am
by FinsUp6835
Chesney?

Wishful thinking...

Could happen

Re: This one really for you?????

Posted: February 18, 2015 12:15 pm
by LIPH
Seriously, Kenny f'n Chesney? The fact that anyone thinks that's even remotely close to being a good idea makes me weep for humanity. Why don't we vote for Glory Days and Trippin' f'n Billies while we're at it.

Re: This one really for you?????

Posted: February 18, 2015 12:28 pm
by AintMarvinGardens
Maybe this has already been brought up, but what happens if you win and don't show up at the show after you say you will? If only the winner can pick up the tickets day of, on-site, I would say there is a good chance many folks just won't be able to swing it. I would say if you are going to be in Key West that week anyway, definitely do some research about a standby list. They have to have some sort of plan in place, but won't make it public too early to avoid even bigger crowds.

Also, some songs that have been requested probably haven't been played by JB in quite a while. A bootleg of this show would be awesome or do we see this being recorded and released in the future?

Re: This one really for you?????

Posted: February 18, 2015 12:36 pm
by Planosmith1
AintMarvinGardens wrote:Maybe this has already been brought up, but what happens if you win and don't show up at the show after you say you will? If only the winner can pick up the tickets day of, on-site, I would say there is a good chance many folks just won't be able to swing it. I would say if you are going to be in Key West that week anyway, definitely do some research about a standby list. They have to have some sort of plan in place, but won't make it public too early to avoid even bigger crowds.

Also, some songs that have been requested probably haven't been played by JB in quite a while. A bootleg of this show would be awesome or do we see this being recorded and released in the future?
Don't know about how the tickets are going to work, but the show will be streamed on Margaritaville.TV

Re: This one really for you?????

Posted: February 18, 2015 12:38 pm
by TommyBahama
AintMarvinGardens wrote:Maybe this has already been brought up, but what happens if you win and don't show up at the show after you say you will? If only the winner can pick up the tickets day of, on-site, I would say there is a good chance many folks just won't be able to swing it. I would say if you are going to be in Key West that week anyway, definitely do some research about a standby list. They have to have some sort of plan in place, but won't make it public too early to avoid even bigger crowds.

Also, some songs that have been requested probably haven't been played by JB in quite a while. A bootleg of this show would be awesome or do we see this being recorded and released in the future?
I have a feeling this will be recorded, and released as a live CD. It could potentially be a huge money maker, he should also design a special t-shirt which I'm sure would sell well.

Re: This one really for you?????

Posted: February 18, 2015 1:00 pm
by dnw
Margaritaville tv (MTV) will be showing it live.

Re: This one really for you?????

Posted: February 18, 2015 1:12 pm
by FinsUp6835
LIPH wrote:Seriously, Kenny f'n Chesney? The fact that anyone thinks that's even remotely close to being a good idea makes me weep for humanity. Why don't we vote for Glory Days and Trippin' f'n Billies while we're at it.
That is a matter of opinion. Chesney is a great performer, and "I" enjoy his music. It probably has to do with age and your dislike for him. Chesney was huge in highschool and college for me. He has some good jams.

I'm also a huge DMB fan - so when Jimmy covered it I really enjoyed it. :)

Re: This one really for you?????

Posted: February 18, 2015 1:18 pm
by FinsUp6835
You also hate on ZBB!

Who I also love!

And Landshark!

I still believe we can one day be friends LIpH

Re: This one really for you?????

Posted: February 18, 2015 2:23 pm
by ScarletB
LIPH wrote:Seriously, Kenny f'n Chesney? The fact that anyone thinks that's even remotely close to being a good idea makes me weep for humanity. Why don't we vote for Glory Days and Trippin' f'n Billies while we're at it.
Hey, you need a bathroom song right? I'm not a fan either.

Re: This one really for you?????

Posted: February 18, 2015 3:44 pm
by ScarletB
The setlist has gotten MARGINALLY better - a few more older songs on there.

Re: This one really for you?????

Posted: February 18, 2015 7:48 pm
by Congobill
SMLCHNG wrote:
Congobill wrote:
LIPH wrote: I can't believe Parrotheads don't have more in-depth knowledge of his catalog than to choose all the standard stuff he plays all the time.
Not everyone voting are 'hard core' Parrotheads.. :)

Clearly. I really hope that Jimmy will play some of the more interesting "non standard" choices at this show even if they aren't in the top 30. Otherwise what's the point?

Re: This one really for you?????

Posted: February 18, 2015 7:56 pm
by Congobill
FinsUp6835 wrote:You can now see all of the songs in their standings. Good to see 70% of my songs in the bottom 50 lol. Man, the masses just don't understand JB and what his music is all about. Yeah the big 10 are hits for a reason but my god he has so many awesome, well written songs. He really deserves better and if I win the grand prize and meet Jimmy I'm gonna tell him that he deserves better because he is arguably one of the best American song writers to touch the stage!

Well, saying Jimmy deserves better doesn't really cut it since Jimmy himself is obviously more than happy to go out and play basically the same set list year after year. He can play anything from his catalog but rarely chooses to dig too deep. Now I'm not going to say he's lazy -- hell, the man can do whatever he wants at this point in his career -- but he is in control of his set lists and they rarely change much, other than to work in some new material or a new cover song here and there. It's a continued disappointment for those of us who have been going to shows for many (many!) years and who have bought all of his albums (on vinyl, then cassette, then CD, and as digital downloads) and would like to see some more variety from the JB songbook featured in the live shows. Guess it's just not going to happen. Hell, he doesn't even divert from the standard set list when he plays the small venues (Fillmore in SF, Belly Up Tavern in San Diego, etc). And he's not going to have to do it for this show in Key West either. I expect he's breathing a sigh of relief looking at the top 30 for this show. No relearning or rehearsing older or obscure songs required.

Re: This one really for you?????

Posted: February 18, 2015 9:01 pm
by LIPH
FinsUp6835 wrote:
LIPH wrote:Seriously, Kenny f'n Chesney? The fact that anyone thinks that's even remotely close to being a good idea makes me weep for humanity. Why don't we vote for Glory Days and Trippin' f'n Billies while we're at it.
That is a matter of opinion. Chesney is a great performer, and "I" enjoy his music. It probably has to do with age and your dislike for him. Chesney was huge in highschool and college for me. He has some good jams.

I'm also a huge DMB fan - so when Jimmy covered it I really enjoyed it. :)
It has nothing to do with age and whether or not I'm a Chesney fan. I've seen him in concert and he puts on a good show but that's not the point. This is supposed to be about Jimmy Buffett, free show, Key West, small venue, 300 fans. Not about Kenny Chesney or any other musician showing up. I just don't understand the concept of going to a concert and hoping somebody else shows up. If you want to see somebody else, go to somebody else's concert. But if any other musicians do show up, I wouldn't mind seeing Amy Lee, TC Mitchell, Keith Sykes, Marshall Chapman. You know, people who actually have a connection to Buffett.

Re: This one really for you?????

Posted: February 18, 2015 9:53 pm
by ParrotHead67
Congobill wrote:
FinsUp6835 wrote:You can now see all of the songs in their standings. Good to see 70% of my songs in the bottom 50 lol. Man, the masses just don't understand JB and what his music is all about. Yeah the big 10 are hits for a reason but my god he has so many awesome, well written songs. He really deserves better and if I win the grand prize and meet Jimmy I'm gonna tell him that he deserves better because he is arguably one of the best American song writers to touch the stage!

Well, saying Jimmy deserves better doesn't really cut it since Jimmy himself is obviously more than happy to go out and play basically the same set list year after year. He can play anything from his catalog but rarely chooses to dig too deep. Now I'm not going to say he's lazy -- hell, the man can do whatever he wants at this point in his career -- but he is in control of his set lists and they rarely change much, other than to work in some new material or a new cover song here and there. It's a continued disappointment for those of us who have been going to shows for many (many!) years and who have bought all of his albums (on vinyl, then cassette, then CD, and as digital downloads) and would like to see some more variety from the JB songbook featured in the live shows. Guess it's just not going to happen. Hell, he doesn't even divert from the standard set list when he plays the small venues (Fillmore in SF, Belly Up Tavern in San Diego, etc). And he's not going to have to do it for this show in Key West either. I expect he's breathing a sigh of relief looking at the top 30 for this show. No relearning or rehearsing older or obscure songs required.

I think there are 2 schools of thought on this. Either Jimmy is breathing a sigh of relief looking at the setlist being voted on or the setlist that is being voted on proves why Jimmy keeps playing those songs year after year.

Re: This one really for you?????

Posted: February 18, 2015 10:14 pm
by BottleofRum
LIPH wrote:Seriously, Kenny f'n Chesney? The fact that anyone thinks that's even remotely close to being a good idea makes me weep for humanity. Why don't we vote for Glory Days and Trippin' f'n Billies while we're at it.
If this really "This One is For You" shouldn't there be a vote on "special guests" too? I vote option (E) NONE

Re: This one really for you?????

Posted: February 18, 2015 10:37 pm
by COPhan
If Jimmy is reading this....he is laughing his head off!

Re: This one really for you?????

Posted: February 18, 2015 11:31 pm
by SMLCHNG
LIPH wrote:It has nothing to do with age and whether or not I'm a Chesney fan. I've seen him in concert and he puts on a good show but that's not the point. This is supposed to be about Jimmy Buffett, free show, Key West, small venue, 300 fans. Not about Kenny Chesney or any other musician showing up. I just don't understand the concept of going to a concert and hoping somebody else shows up. If you want to see somebody else, go to somebody else's concert. But if any other musicians do show up, I wouldn't mind seeing Amy Lee, TC Mitchell, Keith Sykes, Marshall Chapman. You know, people who actually have a connection to Buffett.
:) Yep.

Re: This one really for you?????

Posted: February 18, 2015 11:32 pm
by SMLCHNG
COPhan wrote:If Jimmy is reading this....he is laughing his head off!
Because? I'm sure some posts may amuse him, but why?

Re: This one really for you?????

Posted: February 19, 2015 8:46 am
by TommyBahama
I'm actually surprised he's reading this , or he was jus using it as a prop, but either way nice to hear he's not doing covers. Maybe the Music will carry into this years tour. Also, makes me think , him doing this could mean the end of the road is coming (WHY NOW).

As for Chesney , big fan , the guy has tons of energy and plays and interacts with the crowd great. A lot of people think he's trying to b Buffett , but others are riding Jimmy's coat tails to success or a push in there career. Like Larry not a Huge ZBB , I respect him, and what they have done , I like some songs , but not enough to want to see him, Not a DMB fan at all.

I just hope someone from BN ( people that post) gets to see him. Odds are about 30-1( or higher depending on how many entries) to land a pair of tickets.

Re: This one really for you?????

Posted: February 19, 2015 9:31 am
by FinsUp6835
Congobill wrote:
FinsUp6835 wrote:You can now see all of the songs in their standings. Good to see 70% of my songs in the bottom 50 lol. Man, the masses just don't understand JB and what his music is all about. Yeah the big 10 are hits for a reason but my god he has so many awesome, well written songs. He really deserves better and if I win the grand prize and meet Jimmy I'm gonna tell him that he deserves better because he is arguably one of the best American song writers to touch the stage!

Well, saying Jimmy deserves better doesn't really cut it since Jimmy himself is obviously more than happy to go out and play basically the same set list year after year. He can play anything from his catalog but rarely chooses to dig too deep. Now I'm not going to say he's lazy -- hell, the man can do whatever he wants at this point in his career -- but he is in control of his set lists and they rarely change much, other than to work in some new material or a new cover song here and there. It's a continued disappointment for those of us who have been going to shows for many (many!) years and who have bought all of his albums (on vinyl, then cassette, then CD, and as digital downloads) and would like to see some more variety from the JB songbook featured in the live shows. Guess it's just not going to happen. Hell, he doesn't even divert from the standard set list when he plays the small venues (Fillmore in SF, Belly Up Tavern in San Diego, etc). And he's not going to have to do it for this show in Key West either. I expect he's breathing a sigh of relief looking at the top 30 for this show. No relearning or rehearsing older or obscure songs required.
I think it is clear that Jimmy plays the set that he does because it is what the masses want. He has said in many interviews that if he doesn't play the "big 8" he will get killed. Also, he has also said during many acoustic encores that he loves going back and doing these old songs. so I think it's a matter of keeping the masses happy because that is what makes him fill large venues. He is probably looking at the setlist and saying this is why we play the songs we do.

LIPH - I agree with you. This show should be about Jimmy, 300 people and key west. I doubt that Jimmy wants to share the stage with anyone that night. This is going to be a very special moment for him as well.
The show is going to be awesome - all JB songs. The hits are the hits because they are great songs. It is what it is. There a few gems in there that I am looking forward to hearing them - hopefully in person :)
The video that was posted is awesome. It shows that he obviously gives a crap enough to see what his most hardcore fan base is saying. He could easily take his money and disappear. Who streams their live shows on radio and now even on TV? It is clear that he appreciates the phan base.

Good luck to everyone. I agree with Tommy- I hope someone who posts on here gets to go. Even though many of us don't agree all the time - I do believe that this site has some of the most devoted phans around.

Fins up