Our discussion board has been updated to a newer version. If you have a problem with viewing try clearing your browser's cache and refresh.

I am not feeling it

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

finsup2k
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: Migration
Number of Concerts: 38

Re: I am not feeling it

Post by finsup2k » February 22, 2017 1:54 pm

rumdrinks wrote:Absolutely, less cover songs, more Buffett. While I really like his versions of Southern Cross and BEG, I don't need to hear Grateful Dead or Bruce, etc., at a Buffett show. Probably 50 Buffett songs I'd rather hear. As for naming the tour to promote an album, I get the the merchandising aspect, but for me, I'll buy the album either way, so it holds no sway with me. I pretty much think his fan base thinks the same way.
Triple AMEN.
"As the son of a son of a sailor I went out on the sea for adventure..."

rich_big
At the Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by rich_big » February 26, 2017 11:21 pm

maybe he needs a new shtick. bring back stumpo-el-bando, have a fins dance competition, let Nadirah sing more classic JB songs.....

ASaltyPieceOfLand
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Brahma Fear
Number of Concerts: 26

Post by ASaltyPieceOfLand » February 27, 2017 11:53 am

JB really does need to drop the cover songs. He's 70 now. No more BEG or Southern Cross. How about more A1A songs? Or some "other" songs from any of the 1970s albums, the albums and songs that made him Jimmy Buffett.
Salt air it ain't thin...

ParrotHead67
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Who's The Blonde Stranger
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Haven't had a bad one yet
Location: Woke up dry beneath the African sky, just me and my Swiss Army Knife

Post by ParrotHead67 » February 27, 2017 12:19 pm

ASaltyPieceOfLand wrote:
February 27, 2017 11:53 am
JB really does need to drop the cover songs. He's 70 now. No more BEG or Southern Cross. How about more A1A songs? Or some "other" songs from any of the 1970s albums, the albums and songs that made him Jimmy Buffett.
I really get a kick out of it when people say, "Jimmy NEEDS to..." Jimmy doesn't "NEED" to do anything. Yes he's 70. That's even more reason he doesn't "NEED" to do anything. Would we prefer more old stuff? Of course we would. The fact is 75 percent of the crowds only know his SYKBH album. Hence he sings cover songs everyone knows. Every time he play BEG and Southern Cross the crowd goes crazy and sings along. Why the hell would he stop? Get used to the fact that these songs are part his core concert songs and he has a good reason for playing them. It's not about his hardcore fans. We go to his concerts regardless.
"I gotta go where it's warm!"

tomdeb1986
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Dirty Monkey

Post by tomdeb1986 » February 27, 2017 12:48 pm

ParrotHead67 wrote:
February 27, 2017 12:19 pm
ASaltyPieceOfLand wrote:
I really get a kick out of it when people say, "Jimmy NEEDS to..." Jimmy doesn't "NEED" to do anything. Yes he's 70. That's even more reason he doesn't "NEED" to do anything. Would we prefer more old stuff? Of course we would. The fact is 75 percent of the crowds only know his SYKBH album. Hence he sings cover songs everyone knows. Every time he play BEG and Southern Cross the crowd goes crazy and sings along. Why the hell would he stop? Get used to the fact that these songs are part his core concert songs and he has a good reason for playing them. It's not about his hardcore fans. We go to his concerts regardless.
Very well said. He's 70 years old and there will come a time sooner rather than later when he will choose to not tour. For me its more about the experience and the camaraderie among fellow Parrot Heads. Jimmy Buffett concerts are one big sing along, only thing missing is a beach and a campfire.

ASaltyPieceOfLand
Southeast of disorder

Post by ASaltyPieceOfLand » March 3, 2017 9:21 am

ParrotHead67 wrote:
ASaltyPieceOfLand wrote:
I don't need to "get used to the fact that these songs are part his core concert songs", I am used to it.

Regardless, yeah, he needs to stop doing so many cover songs.

ParrotHead67
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: Who's The Blonde Stranger
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Haven't had a bad one yet
Location: Woke up dry beneath the African sky, just me and my Swiss Army Knife

Post by ParrotHead67 » March 7, 2017 12:27 pm

ASaltyPieceOfLand wrote:
March 3, 2017 9:21 am
ParrotHead67 wrote:
ASaltyPieceOfLand wrote:
I don't need to "get used to the fact that these songs are part his core concert songs", I am used to it.

May I suggest listening to another artist like Zac Brown Band or Kenny Chesney? Maybe they will be more fulfilling for you. Or you can continue to dwell about this. I'll continue to enjoy everything Buffett does for as long as he chooses to do it.
"I gotta go where it's warm!"

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 78
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama » March 7, 2017 1:26 pm

ParrotHead67 wrote:
March 7, 2017 12:27 pm
ASaltyPieceOfLand wrote:
ParrotHead67 wrote:
ASaltyPieceOfLand wrote:

May I suggest listening to another artist like Zac Brown Band or Kenny Chesney? Maybe they will be more fulfilling for you. Or you can continue to dwell about this. I'll continue to enjoy everything Buffett does for as long as he chooses to do it.
He should let people pick one song , when they buy a unit in his retirement community......New promo , buy a unit , get a song of choice to be performed at a upcoming concert.

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 » March 7, 2017 5:24 pm

TommyBahama wrote:
March 7, 2017 1:26 pm
ParrotHead67 wrote:
ASaltyPieceOfLand wrote:
ParrotHead67 wrote:
ASaltyPieceOfLand wrote:

He should let people pick one song , when they buy a unit in his retirement community......New promo , buy a unit , get a song of choice to be performed at a upcoming concert.

$200,000 or $1 on the juxebox?! :wink:
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.

ASaltyPieceOfLand
Southeast of disorder

Post by ASaltyPieceOfLand » March 8, 2017 9:06 pm

ParrotHead67 wrote:
ASaltyPieceOfLand wrote:
ParrotHead67 wrote:
ASaltyPieceOfLand wrote:

bonefish
I have found me a home
Favorite Buffett Song: There's a cowboy in the jungle
Number of Concerts: 53
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum punch in the islands

Post by bonefish » April 20, 2017 8:16 am

C4Parrothead wrote:
February 22, 2017 1:14 pm
rumdrinks wrote:Absolutely, less cover songs, more Buffett. While I really like his versions of Southern Cross and BEG, I don't need to hear Grateful Dead or Bruce, etc., at a Buffett show. Probably 50 Buffett songs I'd rather hear. As for naming the tour to promote an album, I get the the merchandising aspect, but for me, I'll buy the album either way, so it holds no sway with me. I pretty much think his fan base thinks the same way.
AMEN to this. If I never hear BEG again, it will be too soon.

Would love to hear some older stuff. Love when it's Jimmy & Mac, or this fuse a old song & revive with a new vibe (i.e. In The Shelter from a few yrs ago). Mo Buffet. Mo Betta!
Here's my dirty little secret.....I've been to 50-some-odd JB shows and there's a standard list of about 15 songs he plays at almost every single show. If I never hear screw, cheeseburger, etc again, that's fine with me.
But here's what I do: Before I go to a show, I print out the most recent 2 set lists, because that list will follow when he's going to play all the standards. I check the list throughout the show to determine the best opportunity to hit the head or the bar and make sure I don't miss one of the songs I really want to hear/see.
Roll with the punches
Play all of his hunches
Make the best of whatever came his way
What he lacked in ambition
He made up with intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
[img][imgsize=][imgsize=][/imgsize]

Congobill
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Last Mango in Paris
Number of Concerts: 60
Favorite Boat Drink: Craft Beer

Post by Congobill » June 8, 2017 2:45 am

ParrotHead67 wrote:
ASaltyPieceOfLand wrote:
Not all of us still go to his concerts regardless. I don't. I stopped going about five or six years ago. I couldn't take the stock set list shows year after year. And I've been going to Buffett shows since the '80s and even spent some years in the '90s where I and a few of my buddies would travel around to all of Jimmy's west coast shows. And that was back in the day when he'd play two Bay Area shows -- Concord Pavilion and Shoreline Amphitheater -- in addition to multiple LA shows, Vegas, Phoenix, Santa Barbara, etc. It was a blast. Jimmy will always be one of my favorite artists and I still listen to Radio Margaritaville every day in my car.

But I got to a point where I needed more out of his live shows. I wanted to hear deep cuts and rarities. I grew tired of hearing the same songs every year with so little variance in the set lists from tour to tour. While there is always an urge to go when Jimmy's in town, I really hadn't been enjoying the live shows as much as I wanted to. And that had been going on for a few years before I finally called it quits on the Buffett shows.

I understand why Jimmy and the band do a canned set list. The "fans" want it and they go crazy for it. Jimmy and the band don't have to worry about changing up the set list or rehearsing other songs to fill the venues every year. I don't blame them, really. But for an artist with such a tremendous and vast catalog of great music, the fact that so much of it is ignored in the live shows is a real shame.

It almost seems like at times Jimmy does want to go deeper into his catalog. They did that special show in Key West a couple of years ago where the "fans" voted for the setlist online. I expect they did that contest hoping to play some different stuff, or at least as a way to reward the fans who are longing to hear some different material live. But it completely backfired since the "fans" voted in all the same songs he always plays. In fact, the set list for that show was even more hit-laden than a regular Buffett show. I think I remember that Jimmy threw in a few other songs during that show that weren't voted in, probably to do anything different than all the same songs he plays every night.

Then last year (or was it the year before?) they started breaking out the list of songs that hadn't been played live in (I think) over 10 years and they played a single song from the list at each show (again, voted on by the fans). It was a nice effort but then again, it was just one "rare" song per show so it didn't really satisfy those of us who want to hear more. And for a moment a few years ago they experimented with the idea of celebrating one of his albums by playing the entire album start to finish live (they did it with Volcano for a few shows I seem to remember). Unfortunately, that didn't last and they were back to the same old show before too long.

I don't blame fans who enjoy the shows. It's still a great experience for many and we might as well enjoy it while Buffett is still willing and able to go out and tour every year. But it's just not for me anymore. I actually get annoyed hearing the same stuff, with so little variation, time and time again, and that's not the way I want to feel at a Buffett show.

This happened very recently when I was lucky enough to get a ticket to Jimmy's show at the Belly Up Tavern here in San Diego back at the end of March. It was the first show I'd been to in years. I figured that playing in such a small and intimate venue that Jimmy might feel free to shake things up a bit and maybe play some songs he doesn't usually play. No such luck. The show was all hits, and it was much shorter than a normal live show. No rarities, no deep cuts. Yes, it was cool and fun to see Jimmy in such a small venue but I left with a sour feeling because of the lack of willingness to even try to do something different in a small room in front of adoring fans who would have loved whatever he did. I actually took the opportunity at that show to yell out "Weather is Here!" a few times between songs because, in all the years I've been going to Buffett shows, I don't think I've ever seen him perform "The Weather is Here, I Wish You Were Beautiful" and it's one of my all-time favorite songs. So I was yelling it out in the off-chance he might actually do it. Instead at one point I swear he shot an annoyed glance over in my direction. It's like, gee, Jimmy, I'm sorry it's so difficult and inconvenient for you and your band to play something not on your canned set list. Sheesh!

So, yes, it's a bummer for me that Jimmy doesn't explore more of his catalog in the live shows. I honestly don't think the "fans" who don't know anything other than the hits would mind all that much if he took a few liberties and devoted more slots to deep cuts during his shows. When you see artists, such as Tom Petty doing a "rarities" tour where he only played deep cuts, or Bruce Springsteen, who mixes up his set lists at every show and even switches things up to play audience requests on occasion, it feels to me like Buffett is taking the awfully convenient route and charging us a lot of money for his product.

Some say at Jimmy's age he doesn't "need" to do anything the fans say. That is true. But he's at the point in his career where he could be celebrating and showcasing more of his songbook. He could play smaller venues where he could better connect with his fans and play songs he doesn't normally play. But I won't question his motivations at this point. Jimmy can do what he wants, and he clearly feels he's serving his fans best by playing cookie cutter shows year after year. So be it.

On the bright side, last week I did go see Jimmy's new musical "Escape to Margaritaville," which is previewing here in San Diego at the La Jolla Playhouse before it goes to Broadway. When they announced the show I had to go even though I wasn't sure what to expect. And, to be perfectly honest, I was expecting the worst, figuring it'd be all the hits crow-barred into some corny musical. Thank God I was wrong on this one. I had an amazing time at the show. They've really done a fantastic job with this musical and any Buffett fan who has a chance to see it absolutely should. I went in expecting disappointment but by the end of the show I was on my feet cheering and clapping as the cast took their bows (as was everybody else in the house). I left with a very large smile on my face. I hadn't felt that ecstatic after an actual Buffett show in many years. And even though the musical does feature many of the hit songs I don't care to see him play live anymore, in the context of the musical they gained new life and I appreciated them again. It's a testament to how great his music really is. And there are some deep cuts in the show as well, including "The Weather is Here, I Wish You Were Beautiful!" So I finally got to see that song done live! Not by Jimmy, unfortunately, but the cast of "Escape to Margaritaville" did it justice.

Tbdbuckeyeitl
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin cup chalice
Number of Concerts: 25

Post by Tbdbuckeyeitl » June 8, 2017 8:34 am

When was the concert in key west that was a fan vote the song?

dnw
Last Man Standing

Post by dnw » June 8, 2017 8:49 am

Tbdbuckeyeitl wrote:
June 8, 2017 8:34 am
When was the concert in key west that was a fan vote the song?

April 1, 2015

Debbie

Tbdbuckeyeitl
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin cup chalice
Number of Concerts: 25

Post by Tbdbuckeyeitl » June 8, 2017 9:11 am

Wow. That was a great set list!!!

wanderingtoes
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: When The Coast Is Clear
Number of Concerts: 29
Favorite Boat Drink: Margarita

Post by wanderingtoes » June 8, 2017 11:25 am

I know everyone has a view of the likes and dislikes of JB's Concerts, I'm sure JB knows all this very well. Tuesday night in Orange Beach, I marveled at his delivery of the show, the musicians commitment to really being into it. JB was really into the moment of what was to be a rainy ending, but he was all in having fun as was his flock. I smiled when he played Southern Cross, (thought of Buffett News) a couple next to me from Texas attending their 5th concert thought it was awesome. I shared with them the view that some great core fans have about cover songs, they asked if I liked it? The crowd reaction to first note of that song was as loud as any moment it seemed. I couldn't see anyone that was either singing along or watching and I was singing along too. I said, while I like a lot of other songs better, the crowd reaction always helps me understand why he does it, its a concert moment for sure. If there ever was a true troubadour, then Jimmy Buffett would be on the poster for it. We are all a part of it, while many of his contemporaries have exited for one reason or another, our 70 year old leader is still selling out and going strong. Ten years ago the sell outs were in five minutes or less, now you can get a few tickets closer to the show dates, but they are basically mostly sold out. One thing that remains the same is the joy and happiness it brings to those lucky enough to go. If it wasn't for those darn cover songs, Jimmy might had a longer more successful career! (I can't believe he didn't play "Stars Fell on Alabama" "When The Coast is Clear" and "Pascagoula Run" what a bummer) It never ends, until the next show!
"I've got a School Boy Heart"

jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm

Post by jbfins » June 8, 2017 1:11 pm

The Jones Beach show is on my 41st Birthday. My kids (now 13 and 11) have basically demanded that I take them. My older daughter wants to go early and make a day of it "to see all the crazy people."

20+ years ago if you had told me that at 41 I would have to be dragged to a Jimmy Buffett concert by my kids, I would have asked you what you were smoking and where can I get it.
"Some people never find it..."

dnw
Last Man Standing

Post by dnw » June 8, 2017 6:43 pm

wanderingtoes wrote:
June 8, 2017 11:25 am
I know everyone has a view of the likes and dislikes of JB's Concerts, I'm sure JB knows all this very well. Tuesday night in Orange Beach, I marveled at his delivery of the show, the musicians commitment to really being into it. JB was really into the moment of what was to be a rainy ending, but he was all in having fun as was his flock. I smiled when he played Southern Cross, (thought of Buffett News) a couple next to me from Texas attending their 5th concert thought it was awesome. I shared with them the view that some great core fans have about cover songs, they asked if I liked it? The crowd reaction to first note of that song was as loud as any moment it seemed. I couldn't see anyone that was either singing along or watching and I was singing along too. I said, while I like a lot of other songs better, the crowd reaction always helps me understand why he does it, its a concert moment for sure. If there ever was a true troubadour, then Jimmy Buffett would be on the poster for it. We are all a part of it, while many of his contemporaries have exited for one reason or another, our 70 year old leader is still selling out and going strong. Ten years ago the sell outs were in five minutes or less, now you can get a few tickets closer to the show dates, but they are basically mostly sold out. One thing that remains the same is the joy and happiness it brings to those lucky enough to go. If it wasn't for those darn cover songs, Jimmy might had a longer more successful career! (I can't believe he didn't play "Stars Fell on Alabama" "When The Coast is Clear" and "Pascagoula Run" what a bummer) It never ends, until the next show!
Maybe we didn't hear those songs because of the rain that cut the concert short.

Debbie

Bucarader
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by Bucarader » June 8, 2017 7:52 pm

I take back everything I said. It ended up being packed and was a really good show.

Thanks, Bubba!
Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it.

conched
Last Man Standing

Post by conched » June 9, 2017 9:04 am

Bucarader wrote:
June 8, 2017 7:52 pm
I take back everything I said. It ended up being packed and was a really good show.

Thanks, Bubba!
It was a wonderful show.
We enjoyed every bit of it

Yes, Thank YOU, Jimmy!!