Our discussion board has been updated to a newer version. If you have a problem with viewing try clearing your browser's cache and refresh.

Rare Copy of Havana Daydreamin' LP

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

urlcenter
Hoot!
Number of Concerts: 6

Re: Rare Copy of Havana Daydreamin' LP

Post by urlcenter » June 20, 2017 8:49 pm

Bucarader wrote:
June 20, 2017 7:56 pm
milehi: I was able to convert those flac files to wave files using VLC - no problem. Thanks again!

url: Those YouTube streams sound better than what's on Jokelben. How can I convert a YouTube stream to wave or a high hit rate mp3?
The four test pressings are already on Jokelben in a folder labeled "Second Wind" the MP3's were taken from the Youtube videos. If you want to record them yourself you will need a Youtube recorder

Bucarader
Gypsies in the palace
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by Bucarader » June 20, 2017 10:23 pm

Sorry about that. My bad. I hadn't checked what was there recently. Those are pretty good copies.

Treasures indeed!
Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it.

milehi
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: West Nashville Grand Ballroom Gown
Favorite Boat Drink: cane rum in a pineapple

Post by milehi » June 26, 2017 7:01 pm

urlcenter wrote:
June 20, 2017 4:44 pm
Bucarader wrote:
June 20, 2017 4:26 pm
So, do you think that all of the bootleg copies of "Train to Dixieland", including that YouTube version, are from that test pressing or a similar one? Also the alternate version of "Wonder Why We Ever Go Home?" If so, that would explain why clean copies of those tracks are so hard to find.
Most likely a copy of the Test Pressing was the source for a lot of the bootleg copies of "Train To Dixieland", "Why Why You Ever Go Home", "Kick it in Second Wind" and "Please Take Your Drunken Girlfriend Home"

All four songs were uploaded from the test pressing to Youtube and they sound fantastic

Wonder Why You Ever Go Home - Test Pressing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8Uzz-Zuo8E

Kick it in Second Wind - Test Pressing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg4ufZ4XgUg

Please Take Your Drunken 15 year old Girlfriend Home - Test Pressing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISrq7g0HnFg

Here is the full track order for the test pressing:

Side One
Kick it in Second Wind
My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink, And I Don't Love Jesus
The Captain and the Kid
Big Rig
Please Take You Drunken Girlfriend Home

Side Two
Woman Going Crazy on Caroline Street
Something So Feminine About a Mandolin
Train To Dixieland
Wonder Why You Ever Gome
This Hotel Room
Thanks, I had not paid close enough attention to the YouTube of Train to Dixieland.

Just acquired a NM copy of the test pressing today, indeed has all four unique tracks, very happy with this find! Mine does not have the typed track listing, anyone have a larger / clear image of it?

I have created a Discogs entry with photos and the deadwax runout.

ABC-914-A-1A RFS/WSS A4
ABC-914-B-1A RFS/WSS B3

Appreciate any additions or corrections, and especially an image of the tracklist / credits.

Thank you!

milehi
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by milehi » June 27, 2017 10:00 am

So, more info that sort of goes with this thread, the new book, Jimmy Buffett: A Good Life All the Way – May 9, 2017 by Ryan White has a section that covers these songs and how they came to be, talks of the test pressing, the making of the album, then mentions:

"Kick It in Second Wind was finished with a combination of Coral Reefers and studio pros (including Utley and Grisham), and then never released."

The chapter goes on to talk about

When the calendar flipped to 1976, the follow-up to A1A was finally released not as Kick It in Second Wind, but Havana Daydreamin’.

The cover illustration found Buffett squinting into the sun, smiling wide with blue skies blending into the blue of the ocean behind him. Things were good. “Train to Dixie,” “Wonder Why You Ever Go Home,” and “Please Take Your Girlfriend Home” had disappeared.
As, with his consent, had Shel Silverstein’s name from the writing credits for “Woman Goin’ Crazy on Caroline Street.”

It goes on to then talk about the songs that replaced them.

No where in the book is "We've Been Taken to the Cleaners (and I Already Had my Shirts Done)" ever mentioned.

You can Google to find an excerpt from the book (fair use) and see most of this, or get the book, appears so far to be a pretty good read.

urlcenter
Hoot!

Post by urlcenter » June 27, 2017 11:34 am

milehi wrote:
June 27, 2017 10:00 am
So, more info that sort of goes with this thread, the new book, Jimmy Buffett: A Good Life All the Way – May 9, 2017 by Ryan White has a section that covers these songs and how they came to be, talks of the test pressing, the making of the album, then mentions:

"Kick It in Second Wind was finished with a combination of Coral Reefers and studio pros (including Utley and Grisham), and then never released."

The chapter goes on to talk about

When the calendar flipped to 1976, the follow-up to A1A was finally released not as Kick It in Second Wind, but Havana Daydreamin’.

The cover illustration found Buffett squinting into the sun, smiling wide with blue skies blending into the blue of the ocean behind him. Things were good. “Train to Dixie,” “Wonder Why You Ever Go Home,” and “Please Take Your Girlfriend Home” had disappeared.
As, with his consent, had Shel Silverstein’s name from the writing credits for “Woman Goin’ Crazy on Caroline Street.”

It goes on to then talk about the songs that replaced them.

No where in the book is "We've Been Taken to the Cleaners (and I Already Had my Shirts Done)" ever mentioned.

You can Google to find an excerpt from the book (fair use) and see most of this, or get the book, appears so far to be a pretty good read.
Here is one more curiosity regarding this album, the song "Woman Goin Crazy on Caroline Street" as an alternate version which is 2:58 seconds long or 1:12 seconds shorter than the album version. This version differs from the album version in the following way musically: It does not contain the instrumentals, third verse or repeat choruses found on the album version.

Bucarader
Gypsies in the palace

Post by Bucarader » June 28, 2017 8:29 am

milehi wrote:
June 26, 2017 7:01 pm
urlcenter wrote:
June 20, 2017 4:44 pm
Bucarader wrote:
June 20, 2017 4:26 pm
So, do you think that all of the bootleg copies of "Train to Dixieland", including that YouTube version, are from that test pressing or a similar one? Also the alternate version of "Wonder Why We Ever Go Home?" If so, that would explain why clean copies of those tracks are so hard to find.
Most likely a copy of the Test Pressing was the source for a lot of the bootleg copies of "Train To Dixieland", "Why Why You Ever Go Home", "Kick it in Second Wind" and "Please Take Your Drunken Girlfriend Home"

All four songs were uploaded from the test pressing to Youtube and they sound fantastic

Wonder Why You Ever Go Home - Test Pressing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8Uzz-Zuo8E

Kick it in Second Wind - Test Pressing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg4ufZ4XgUg

Please Take Your Drunken 15 year old Girlfriend Home - Test Pressing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISrq7g0HnFg

Here is the full track order for the test pressing:

Side One
Kick it in Second Wind
My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink, And I Don't Love Jesus
The Captain and the Kid
Big Rig
Please Take You Drunken Girlfriend Home

Side Two
Woman Going Crazy on Caroline Street
Something So Feminine About a Mandolin
Train To Dixieland
Wonder Why You Ever Gome
This Hotel Room
Thanks, I had not paid close enough attention to the YouTube of Train to Dixieland.

Just acquired a NM copy of the test pressing today, indeed has all four unique tracks, very happy with this find! Mine does not have the typed track listing, anyone have a larger / clear image of it?

I have created a Discogs entry with photos and the deadwax runout.

ABC-914-A-1A RFS/WSS A4
ABC-914-B-1A RFS/WSS B3

Appreciate any additions or corrections, and especially an image of the tracklist / credits.

Thank you!

That is awesome! Is there anyway you can create flac files for those two songs that are as good as the others you created? Those were really good.

Congobill
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Last Mango in Paris
Number of Concerts: 60
Favorite Boat Drink: Craft Beer

Post by Congobill » June 28, 2017 2:29 pm

So what do these alternate/limited/test versions of "Havana Daydreaming" with the song "Please Take Your Drunken 15-Year-Old Girlfriend Home" sell for these days? I've long looked for one on eBay and in various used record stores and never been able to find one.

urlcenter
Hoot!

Post by urlcenter » June 28, 2017 4:19 pm

Congobill wrote:
June 28, 2017 2:29 pm
So what do these alternate/limited/test versions of "Havana Daydreaming" with the song "Please Take Your Drunken 15-Year-Old Girlfriend Home" sell for these days? I've long looked for one on eBay and in various used record stores and never been able to find one.
The last time a test pressing of the album was on eBay it sold for $20.

if you want just the one song or the 4 rare songs from the test pressing they can be downloaded from Jokelben 2.0 here is the link:

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code ... =444373388

The four songs are in a folder labeled Second Wind

milehi
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by milehi » June 28, 2017 5:09 pm

urlcenter wrote:
June 28, 2017 4:19 pm
Congobill wrote:

if you want just the one song or the 4 rare songs from the test pressing they can be downloaded from Jokelben 2.0 here is the link:

I do not find any that sold for that?
I cannot find any completed auctions for Buffett test pressings on eBay period.
But Popsike which tracks completed auctions shows these (and the $22 one is a 45 rpm single, just fyi).

JIMMY BUFFETT rare test pressing 45 Cheeseburger In Paradise NM - 2016-10-23 - 22 USD
ROCK test pressing Jimmy Buffett Kick it in Second Wind w/cover slicks ABC 1976 - 2016-04-28 - 68 USD
jimmy buffett 45 Margaritaville Test Pressing RARE - 2015-11-05 - 100 USD
JIMMY BUFFETT "Coconut Telegraph" rare WHITE LABEL TEST PRESSING LP from 1979 - 2012-11-01 - 62 USD
JIMMY BUFFETT Havana Daydreamin' 1976 TEST PRESSING LP - 2010-03-25 - 57 USD
JIMMY BUFFETT kick it in 2nd wind ORIG TEST PRESSING NM - 2007-05-08 - 141 USD

The three full-LP test pressings in question sold for $141 (NM, 10 years ago!), $57 (M- 7 years ago), and $68 (VG 1 year ago) in the past.

There are allegedly only a few hundred copies of "Down To Earth" in circulation, but for me at least, it is far easier to find than the mis-pressed Havana Daydreaming, or the test pressing has proven to be.

For comparison, Popsike shows 297 completed auctions for "Down To Earth", and again, only 3 for the test pressing with these tracks (there are a few test pressings of the stock release of Havana Daydreamin')...

If you can actually find a nice playable copy for $20, more power to you, I recommend you buy it!

My mis-pressed HD is a solid VG+ condition, and the test pressing I just got was unplayed, seriously in NM condition.

SharkysMV1
I need two more boat drinks
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Tonics

Post by SharkysMV1 » June 28, 2017 10:22 pm

urlcenter wrote:
Congobill wrote:

Agreed, but the quality of the other files that were uploaded in this thread in FLAC last weekend were of much higher quality and sound very good.
Taste for the good life, I could live it no other way...

milehi
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by milehi » June 28, 2017 11:40 pm

Yes, did a transfer of the full test pressing, send me a PM, I will help you out....

Bucarader
Gypsies in the palace

Post by Bucarader » June 29, 2017 8:51 am

Done!

urlcenter
Hoot!

Post by urlcenter » June 29, 2017 3:07 pm

SharkysMV1 wrote:
June 28, 2017 10:22 pm
urlcenter wrote:
Congobill wrote:

Agreed, but the quality of the other files that were uploaded in this thread in FLAC last weekend were of much higher quality and sound very good.
The four songs in the "Second Wind" folder on Jokelben are ripped from a copy of the test pressing

urlcenter
Hoot!

Post by urlcenter » June 29, 2017 3:09 pm

SharkysMV1 wrote:
June 28, 2017 10:22 pm
urlcenter wrote:
Congobill wrote:

The four songs in the "Second Wind" folder on Jokelben are ripped from a copy of the test pressing

urlcenter
Hoot!

Post by urlcenter » June 29, 2017 3:12 pm

milehi wrote:
June 28, 2017 5:09 pm
urlcenter wrote:
Congobill wrote:

I do not find any that sold for that?
I cannot find any completed auctions for Buffett test pressings on eBay period.
But Popsike which tracks completed auctions shows these (and the $22 one is a 45 rpm single, just fyi).

JIMMY BUFFETT rare test pressing 45 Cheeseburger In Paradise NM - 2016-10-23 - 22 USD
ROCK test pressing Jimmy Buffett Kick it in Second Wind w/cover slicks ABC 1976 - 2016-04-28 - 68 USD
jimmy buffett 45 Margaritaville Test Pressing RARE - 2015-11-05 - 100 USD
JIMMY BUFFETT "Coconut Telegraph" rare WHITE LABEL TEST PRESSING LP from 1979 - 2012-11-01 - 62 USD
JIMMY BUFFETT Havana Daydreamin' 1976 TEST PRESSING LP - 2010-03-25 - 57 USD
JIMMY BUFFETT kick it in 2nd wind ORIG TEST PRESSING NM - 2007-05-08 - 141 USD

The three full-LP test pressings in question sold for $141 (NM, 10 years ago!), $57 (M- 7 years ago), and $68 (VG 1 year ago) in the past.

There are allegedly only a few hundred copies of "Down To Earth" in circulation, but for me at least, it is far easier to find than the mis-pressed Havana Daydreaming, or the test pressing has proven to be.

For comparison, Popsike shows 297 completed auctions for "Down To Earth", and again, only 3 for the test pressing with these tracks (there are a few test pressings of the stock release of Havana Daydreamin')...

If you can actually find a nice playable copy for $20, more power to you, I recommend you buy it!

My mis-pressed HD is a solid VG+ condition, and the test pressing I just got was unplayed, seriously in NM condition.
If you check this older thread about this album there is a poster in that thread who says he in fact got a copy of the test pressing for $20 off of Ebay:

http://www.buffettnews.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66468

SharkysMV1
I need two more boat drinks
Number of Concerts: 9
Favorite Boat Drink: Rum & Tonics

Post by SharkysMV1 » June 29, 2017 4:43 pm

milehi wrote:
June 28, 2017 11:40 pm
Yes, did a transfer of the full test pressing, send me a PM, I will help you out....
Sent, thanks
Taste for the good life, I could live it no other way...