Don't Stop The Carnival

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Don't Stop The Carnival

Post by FinsUp6835 »

So, I finally finished DON'T STOP THE CARNIVAL I bought it two years ago and just never got around to it. Such is life I guess....

Great and easy read. Highly recommend it. Shortly after reading it I listened to Jimmy's cd and it adds a nice finishing touch to it.

Would love to see the production of it. That would be something he should release or put on Mville Tv.

4 out of 5 fins up !
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.
ASaltyPieceOfLand
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Brahma Fear
Number of Concerts: 26

Re: Don't Stop The Carnival

Post by ASaltyPieceOfLand »

I enjoyed the book and the album. It's still a mystery to me why people don't like the album. It has one great song (Island Fever) on it and a few really good songs (Kinja/Norman Paperman, Time To Go Home, A Thousand Steps To Nowhere, Up On The Hill). So it's essentially a soundtrack to the play but it's still pretty damn good.
Salt air it ain't thin...
Crazy Navy Flyer
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 100
Favorite Boat Drink: rum

Post by Crazy Navy Flyer »

Read it back in the '70s, I should read it again, I probably don't remember much.

Shoot, at my age I can hide my own Easter eggs.
Back to livin' Floridays
jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by jbfins »

I think that the music he wrote for the musical is some of his best work. He clearly had an amazing understanding of the characters and for me he really brought them to life.
"Some people never find it..."
ASaltyPieceOfLand
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: Brahma Fear
Number of Concerts: 26

Post by ASaltyPieceOfLand »

It's interesting in one way that he stuck to a musical theme, as musicals generally have a similar melody throughout songs, as Green Flash is a great example of (and why it wasn't recorded and included on the album makes zero sense since it's so short).

An article about the album.
https://dctheatrescene.com/2013/04/10/j ... -carnival/
Salt air it ain't thin...