Our discussion board has been updated to a newer version. If you have a problem with viewing try clearing your browser's cache and refresh.

Escape to Margaritaville

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderators: SMLCHNG, Saltx3

TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 78
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Re: Escape to Margaritaville

Post by TommyBahama » April 23, 2018 10:00 am

I work in a Theater that does Musicals and Grew up with Musicals ( Mom was in a few productions) . The Warner Stage Company puts on a lot of great shows . They are very talented actors , and actresses. They are doing the Full Monty in May , which i want to see. They did it about 6 years ago , and it was great. Some of the Musicals , i like or loved , some i don't. As far as going to Broadway , I'm not a big NYC fan , so i wait , till they come off Broadway. Hoping This does , I'd see it out of curiosity , and for the Music. B of R is right , sounds like a Buffett Cover Band. I'm sure I'll enjoy it because of the music. There are other productions though i want to see 1st , Momma Mia , Jersey Boys , The Producers and Wicked to name a few.

jbfins
I gotta go where it's warm
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by jbfins » May 2, 2018 10:03 am

No Tony nominations, last week the show sold only 55.4% of seats and earned only 35.7% of gross potential. I suspect that it will not make it through the summer because with numbers like that, and no "Tony Nominated..." advertising to be had, investors are going to want to pull the plug quickly. ship is sinking faster than expected.

Maybe whoever thought putting a Margaritaville Hotel in Times Square will reconsider that horrible idea. Who wants to spend their hard earned dollars in a tourist trap hotel with an island theme in the middle of Manhattan? I mean yes, Manhattan is and island, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the tropics.

Considering Jimmy's love of "Don't Stop The Carnival," you think he'd learn the lessons of Norman Paperman.
"Some people never find it..."

lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie » May 2, 2018 10:11 am

Based on all the interviews this was a labor of love for Jimmy, not a money maker.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

jbfins

Post by jbfins » May 2, 2018 1:58 pm

I am sure it costs a pretty penny to bring a production all the way to Broadway. No one works for free. And we all know there is no way Jimmy underwrote all of the expenses (not that he couldn't), so I am sure that there is a group of people who expected more and are getting a lot less. Heck look at the merchandise. They want $40 for a t-shirt! Are they crazy? The tickets are now advertised on the website for $59. Which is less than the sweatshirt they are trying to sell for $60.00.

But your point only underscores mine, this musical never belonged on Broadway to begin with.
"Some people never find it..."

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle
Number of Concerts: 50
Favorite Boat Drink: Ice Cold Loaded Landshark

Post by FinsUp6835 » May 2, 2018 3:35 pm

jbfins wrote:
May 2, 2018 1:58 pm
I am sure it costs a pretty penny to bring a production all the way to Broadway. No one works for free. And we all know there is no way Jimmy underwrote all of the expenses (not that he couldn't), so I am sure that there is a group of people who expected more and are getting a lot less. Heck look at the merchandise. They want $40 for a t-shirt! Are they crazy? The tickets are now advertised on the website for $59. Which is less than the sweatshirt they are trying to sell for $60.00.

But your point only underscores mine, this musical never belonged on Broadway to begin with.
Is it your money? Are you an investor? Who cares.

Don't buy the t-shirt or sweatshirt. Have you ever been to NYC and Broadway? From the Lion King to Wicked all are asking for outrages prices at merchandise stands. Ever go to Disney World and pay 5$ for a small soda?

Who are you to say what belongs on Broadway and what doesn't?

I know many people who have went and really enjoyed it. Based on interviews and such it sounds like Jimmy did it for his mom - so good for him.

I say the world needs more "Jimmyness" and Margaritavilles.

FINS UP.
Last edited by FinsUp6835 on May 3, 2018 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.

C4Parrothead
I need two more boat drinks
Favorite Buffett Song: Someday I will / Little Miss Magic / One Particular / Delaney / Pirate
Number of Concerts: 31
Favorite Boat Drink: Any Frozen Concoction that helps me hang on...

Post by C4Parrothead » May 3, 2018 8:30 am

FinsUp6835 wrote:
May 2, 2018 3:35 pm
jbfins wrote:
May 2, 2018 1:58 pm

Is it your money? Are you an investor? Who cares.

Don't buy the t-shirt or sweatshirt. Have you ever been to NYC and Broadway? From the Lion King to Wicked all are asking for outrages prices at merchandise stands. Ever go to Disney World and pay 5$ for a small soda?

Who are you to say what belongs on Broadway and what doesn't?

I know many people who have went and really enjoyed it. Based on interviews and such it sounds like Jimmy did it for his mom - so good for him.

I say the world needs more "Jimmyness" and Margaritavilles in the world.

FINS UP.
Agree 100%! The man is playing with house $$ (and lots of it) at this point. Good for him for investing in a passion project. Bubba is pretty comfortable in his own skin. Plus this show will tour across the country & will sell out 2-3 shows in each city. Good for Jimmy!
Someday I will.

Next Tour Stop:
-Charlotte 4.27.18 (31)

-Nashville 4.27.19 - SOASOAS 19 (32)
-Dublin, Ireland 9.21.19 - SOASOAS 19 (33)

BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum » May 7, 2018 11:51 am

jbfins wrote:
May 2, 2018 10:03 am
No Tony nominations, last week the show sold only 55.4% of seats and earned only 35.7% of gross potential. I suspect that it will not make it through the summer because with numbers like that, and no "Tony Nominated..." advertising to be had, investors are going to want to pull the plug quickly. ship is sinking faster than expected.

Maybe whoever thought putting a Margaritaville Hotel in Times Square will reconsider that horrible idea. Who wants to spend their hard earned dollars in a tourist trap hotel with an island theme in the middle of Manhattan? I mean yes, Manhattan is and island, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the tropics.

Considering Jimmy's love of "Don't Stop The Carnival," you think he'd learn the lessons of Norman Paperman.
For the Tony's is there a certain cutoff that a show has to be out for it to be nominated? Like for the Oscar's a movie has to be released before 12/31 to be consider for an Academy Award. Was Escape to Margaritaville qualified to even get any nominations?
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”

MICHIPHIN
Changing Channels
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy In The Jungle
Number of Concerts: 48
Favorite Boat Drink: Adult Beverages

Post by MICHIPHIN » May 11, 2018 1:56 pm

i just read the article of the lead for this musical. and also noticed that a "Monkey" was confiscated at a recent show.............that would be "Our Monkey", would it ?????
Trying to Reason, With Hurricane Season......

Martyritaville
At the Bama Breeze

Post by Martyritaville » May 11, 2018 11:00 pm

MICHIPHIN wrote:
May 11, 2018 1:56 pm
i just read the article of the lead for this musical. and also noticed that a "Monkey" was confiscated at a recent show.............that would be "Our Monkey", would it ?????
As far as I know, Bonzo is still recuperating from brain surgery. 8)
A most mysterious calling harbour
So far, but yet, so near
Where I see the day
When my hair's full gray
and I finally...disappear. BUT NOT YET!!

SeattleParrotHead
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Post by SeattleParrotHead » May 12, 2018 1:05 pm

Transplant from BITS? :o
ImageImageImage
I know the voices aren't real but they have some good ideas.....
SPH

BottleofRum
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris: It's My Job
Favorite Boat Drink: Barbancourt Rhum

Post by BottleofRum » May 30, 2018 11:18 pm

Escape to Margaritaville' goes belly up on Broadway. The musical to close its doors on July 1st after terrible ticket sales and future ticket sales looking worse. They were playing to just over 50% capacity and making only 33 percent of potential gross. Article says they may look to take the musical on the road. Maybe they can bring it to Great Woods :lol:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ay-1115977
Last edited by BottleofRum on May 31, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
- - “If it doesn't work out there will never be any doubt that the pleasure was worth all the pain.”

TommyBahama
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama » May 31, 2018 9:10 am

BottleofRum wrote:
May 30, 2018 11:18 pm
Escape to Margaritaville' goes belly up on Broadway. The musical to close its doors on July 1st after terrible ticket sales and future ticket sales looking worse. They were playing to just over 50% capacity and making only 33 percent of potential gross. Article says they make look to take the musical on the road. Maybe they can bring it to Great Woods :lol:

Not a huge surprise , it may be a fun and entertaining Musical. But , with a fan base spread out across the country , it wasn't made for Broadway. People who are theater people , have to many other choices. I did see where a Oct. of 2019 date was scheduled for Providence. I'd go see it there , if it doesn't come to CT. Putting it on the road will sell better. 99% of the people going are Parrotheads , so it was playing to a smaller crowd. It's to bad , it's theater high risk / high reward.

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!
Favorite Buffett Song: LivingstonsGone2TX MeetMeinMemphis Winoandiknow CowboyIntheJungle

Post by FinsUp6835 » May 31, 2018 9:29 am

TommyBahama wrote:
May 31, 2018 9:10 am
BottleofRum wrote:
May 30, 2018 11:18 pm
Escape to Margaritaville' goes belly up on Broadway. The musical to close its doors on July 1st after terrible ticket sales and future ticket sales looking worse. They were playing to just over 50% capacity and making only 33 percent of potential gross. Article says they make look to take the musical on the road. Maybe they can bring it to Great Woods :lol:

Not a huge surprise , it may be a fun and entertaining Musical. But , with a fan base spread out across the country , it wasn't made for Broadway. People who are theater people , have to many other choices. I did see where a Oct. of 2019 date was scheduled for Providence. I'd go see it there , if it doesn't come to CT. Putting it on the road will sell better. 99% of the people going are Parrotheads , so it was playing to a smaller crowd. It's to bad , it's theater high risk / high reward.

Yeah, very true. It was really well done, and I loved it.

But, like you stated - Parrotheads are across the country and it's too low brow for the snobs on Broadway. The road makes sense.
"Tragedies very often become comedies, and they better become comedies real fast or else you're in a lot of trouble..." - Jimmy, 1978.

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH » May 31, 2018 10:39 am

I don't think it has anything to do with "snobs" on Broadway, it has to do with being able to appeal to a wide audience in order to be successful. Buffett doesn't appeal to that wide an audience. Too many people seem to think BN is a microcosm of society, it isn't. We may be fans, but the overwhelming majority of people aren't. For a Broadway production to be a hit, or even mildly successful, you have to appeal to the broadest possible audience. This musical obviously didn't. I didn't see the play but I did see the cast when they performed on the Today Show a while back. I thought it was embarrassingly bad, about on the level of a high school theater group. But I'm not one of those people whose default position is "I'm a Buffett fan so I have to like everything he does." As the saying goes, your mileage may vary.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here

FinsUp6835
I Love the Now!

Post by FinsUp6835 » May 31, 2018 12:06 pm

LIPH wrote:
May 31, 2018 10:39 am
I don't think it has anything to do with "snobs" on Broadway, it has to do with being able to appeal to a wide audience in order to be successful. Buffett doesn't appeal to that wide an audience. Too many people seem to think BN is a microcosm of society, it isn't. We may be fans, but the overwhelming majority of people aren't. For a Broadway production to be a hit, or even mildly successful, you have to appeal to the broadest possible audience. This musical obviously didn't. I didn't see the play but I did see the cast when they performed on the Today Show a while back. I thought it was embarrassingly bad, about on the level of a high school theater group. But I'm not one of those people whose default position is "I'm a Buffett fan so I have to like everything he does." As the saying goes, your mileage may vary.
Well said. Though, I did not see the performance on the Today Show and imagine that it would not come across as any good in the middle of a street. I went into the show with very low expectations. I can not stand Jimmy "cover bands" nor am I a big Broadway/musical person but I honestly will say it was good. My wife also thought it was well done. I liked that it wasn't based on all the hits but had some deep tracks in there as well. If you are not a Parrothead or even a casual Jimmy fan then you will not connect to it. I agree with you though. Jimmy never appealed to the masses and his Broadway show did not either. I wish them love and luck on the road. *I would go see it again.

TommyBahama

Post by TommyBahama » May 31, 2018 12:41 pm

FinsUp6835 wrote:
May 31, 2018 12:06 pm
LIPH wrote:
Well said. Though, I did not see the performance on the Today Show and imagine that it would not come across as any good in the middle of a street. I went into the show with very low expectations. I can not stand Jimmy "cover bands" nor am I a big Broadway/musical person but I honestly will say it was good. My wife also thought it was well done. I liked that it wasn't based on all the hits but had some deep tracks in there as well. If you are not a Parrothead or even a casual Jimmy fan then you will not connect to it. I agree with you though. Jimmy never appealed to the masses and his Broadway show did not either. I wish them love and luck on the road. *I would go see it again.
Working in a Local Theater i do appreciate Musicals , i may not like them all , but 95% of them i do enjoy. We just did the Full Monty , it was awsome. The work and dedication that goes into a production . from cast , crew to set designers is tiredless. I'd love them to bring Jimmy's show here , usually we don't get off Broadway shows. We seat 1750 , and they tend to go to the bigger theaters in CT , The Palace in Waterbury , Shubert in New Haven or The Bushnell in Hartford. Hopefully it does come locally , i'd like to see it. But , i wasn't going to NY. Going in , if it's what you expect , you will enjoy it.

Finzup16
Southeast of disorder
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 25

Post by Finzup16 » May 31, 2018 2:02 pm

LIPH wrote:
Definitely a ton of truth in this. I get what you're saying.
It's a long story but on June 30 I'll be seeing it for the 3rd time. (50th birthday gifts, and free tickets that were given to my brother in law who works at the Marriott Marquis)

I'm certainly no theater critic but would argue the story line is kinda juvenile and elementary.

I thought the play was still a lot of fun and I enjoyed it.

As F... 6835 said, it has a lot to do with expectations.

Almost 20 years ago my cousin and I each visited a Margaritaville restaurant for the first time (separately, 2 weeks a part)
He was very disappointed bc he expected FINE SOUTHERN CUISINE. I thought it was great because I was expecting a 20 dollar Mcdonald's cheeseburger. But the kids got balloons, their was some other fun stuff going on and I didn't think it was that bad

I've learned... I love Jimmy Buffett music and Jimmy Buffett concerts.
I can leave the rest. I never go to Margaritaville restaurants anymore and I refuse to buy another t-shirt bc they're just uncomfortable on me. Never had his tequila. And the list goes on

LesPaul30
Favorite Buffett Song: He Went to Paris
Number of Concerts: 13
Favorite Boat Drink: Martinis

Post by LesPaul30 » July 2, 2018 11:06 am

I went and finally saw this on Saturday evening before the show closed yesterday. I have to say I was VERY surprised that it was actually decent overall. My girlfriend is not a Parrothead at all and doesn't know JB from GNR. (I'm working on it..). She was laughing throughout so that's good- and even for CBIP (wow.. they really embraced the cheese that the song is (not pun intended) and just said 'fck it' we're doing this..more on that later.).

Going in, I/we had ZERO expectations, and figured this might be an extremely cringe-worthy event given that its, a. closing, b. was nominated for ZERO tony's, c. a jukebox musical seemingly based on SYKBH, and d. an outright money grab. We decided if we were going to see this, we're not paying much for it. I got us tickets in the last row, center of the Mezz. 50 bux each. Tickets for Orch center were going for 170 without TKTS (those we were offered for 90 each the previous night and figured it might not be worth it as 150 for an actual JB show is a different story). I now wish I DID pay up a little bit for Orch. My fandom has mellowed in recent years as I get older but still consider myself a PH, and once a die-hard.

Going out, I realized that this project was a labor of love from Jimmy and it was really meant for the Parrotheads- not the non or even casual fan. Most journalists who reviewed this show and slammed it were not Parrotheads- thats painfully obvious as I could see how they can take that stance from a non-PH lens on the story and overall production.

There are SO many little things through the show and it's loaded with references that only PH's would pick up on, and it was rather amusing to see how they would incorporate much of it- from innuendo's into some songs you're expecting to hear next but then they go another route, or the fake-history of a song that was made for the storyline. Such as the show's backstory into songs like He Went to Paris, or even Tin Cup Chalice. You're like, "Why didn't I see it coming?!?". When the Hokey Pokey got mentioned I said to myself, "No.. no please dont play it".. they didn't, but it's stuff like that that you almost think JB and the writers knew it was cheese when the song came out, but had to jab it in the script and gave you a wink, which gets me to CBIP. You knew going in that, like the shows it will get played. For the non-fans like my GF I was worried she may walk out right there. But the director embraced the awfulness that it is (IMO) and made it pretty funny if not straight up ridiculous. It worked, surprisingly. The only scene I thought was pretty out of place was the tap dancing, but figured if JB is doing broadway he must think he can't NOT have a tap dancing sequence. Odd choice.

I'm old school in this regard, but I've never been to a Broadway musical where the audience is singing back. At first I was showing her all the folks who actually dressed up a bit (concert attire) minus the grass skirts and coconut bras. Not sure they'd get in the theater like that. Toward the end it was impossible not to appreciate it and get more into it - ie Fins, Salt Salt Salt, etc.

The acting was ok- nothing great- but you're not expecting much there. Paul Nolan who plays Tully did well, and almost wished he made a decision to rock Jimmy's 80's mustache. It could have worked!

It's a shame its closing so soon as I'd actually recommend this, but really only for the PH's. If they do take this on the road, you can certainly have a worse Friday night out. It's silliness, and fun. Shame the major reviewers didn't 'get it', but JB knew that in typical Parrothead fashion 'we' only get it anyways. Check it out if you can.
Castro is still playing in Cuba, but the homefield advantage isn't what it used to be.

SeattleParrotHead
At the Bama Breeze
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Post by SeattleParrotHead » July 2, 2018 11:37 am

When Jimmy was here in Seattle a couple of weeks ago, he said that Escape to Margaritaville was going on the road for two years and that they'd be in Seattle at some point. But then again, I remember when he told us 6 years ago that he'd be back "next year" and "next year" turned out to be 2,069 days long...…
ImageImageImage
I know the voices aren't real but they have some good ideas.....
SPH