Rank the Locations You've Seen Jimmy

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

MDShark70
We are the People our Parents Warned us
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbor
Number of Concerts: 108
Favorite Boat Drink: The one in my hand
Location: Southeast of Disorder, Near the Port of Indecision, so you know, Maryland

Re: Rank the Locations You've Seen Jimmy

Post by MDShark70 »

I've seen Jimmy almost 100 times but I'm blown away at how many of you have been to such varied venues. Having multiple shows at Merriweather and Stone Ridge/Nissan/Jiffy Lube over the years really helped to up my numbers. There are so many good and bad parts of places it's really hard to come up with a ranked list for me. I'll just name the places in alphabetical order I've enjoyed the most for whatever reasons and not really rank them beyond that:

Bangor, Maine - just because it was a neat setting along the river and we had an excellent parking space by the riverwalk area. But it was definitely more about the place than the show itself; plastic chairs and nowhere to dance.

Bethel Woods/Woodstock - very, very nice venue in an absolutely beautiful setting. Thus far it's only been once but I'd go back if given the opportunity. It seemed like a lot of people in the crowd weren't really parrotheads but just there to see the show and what it's all about. They didn't "get it". I've never seen so many chairs on a lawn at a Buffett show ever.

Great Woods - Been making this road trip for many years now. Let's face it, the venue itself is pretty much a piece of crap but the vibe and the people make it so great. The lawn is terrible but yet it's still super fun.

Star Lake - yes, you never know exactly how things are going to go with the police and when the lots will open but I really like this place. Good sight lines and sound out on the lawn and the vibe is really good with the crowd. Plus if you're way in the back of the lot you can see Jimmy and the band roll in and unload and do soundcheck.

Stone Ridge/Nissan/Jiffy Lube - my "home venue" along with Merriweather. At one time I'd have put this parking lot right up there with Great Woods. They truly embraced the tailgating and it was awesome. Sadly, no more. I don't miss the steps going up to the lawn but I do miss watching the drunks try to descend the hill after the show.
It was too much tequila . . . . or not quite enough.
65pacecar
Nibblin' on sponge cake
Favorite Buffett Song: Pirate Looks at 40, CIL-CIA, Captain and the Kid, Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 41
Favorite Boat Drink: Lemonade (Non Drinker)

Post by 65pacecar »

My top few cities:

1. Cincinnati (Timberwolf)
2. Cincinnati (Riverbend)
3. Atlanta
4. Irvine Ca. (Went to the last show there)
5. Hollywood Bowl (Great show, great venue, incredible sound, perfect weather)
6. Charleston, SC
Bucarader
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by Bucarader »

1. Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion -The Woodlands, TX. Hands down the best place I’ve seen Jimmy. I’ve been there 15 or so times to see him there. All and all, they know how to do a concert. Great concessions, clean restrooms, good sound, etc.

2. Noblesville, IN. I went to a Jimmy concert there once in 1996. Not a bad venue. They put hay down on the lawn because it had rained, but all and all not very bad.

3. Austin, TX 360 Amphitheater. I hate this place. I’ve been there twice. Other than the big parking lots for tailgating, the place sucks. Concessions are slow, sound is bad, sight lines (lawn) are hard, and the port a can restrooms are dark and nasty.
Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it.
FINSUPinIdaho
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: APLA40
Number of Concerts: 23
Favorite Boat Drink: Why, you buying???

Post by FINSUPinIdaho »

1) The Gorge, WA

Overnight on site camping with a Sat and Sun show in the middle of nowhere on the shores of the Columbia River.
Been to Alpine, been to Wrigley, been to Vegas, been to ATL, been CA, OR, ID. Not close.
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

FINSUPinIdaho wrote: June 1, 2018 1:50 pm 1) The Gorge, WA

Overnight on site camping with a Sat and Sun show in the middle of nowhere on the shores of the Columbia River.
Been to Alpine, been to Wrigley, been to Vegas, been to ATL, been CA, OR, ID. Not close.
That sounds really fun. [smilie=coolup.gif]

Was it cabins or RVs kind of camping? :D Or...real camping? :o
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

Gunksta
Favorite Buffett Song: Cowboy in the jungle
Number of Concerts: 14

Post by Gunksta »

I have been very lucky to have seen Jimmy in some intimate locations.
1. Guild Hall - 2000 and 2001 solo and with his drummers the following year. First year's theme was that Buffett would not play any songs he does regularly on tour and he also sang the songs he has written about his children. Highlight for me was when he did Cowboy in the Jungle right after I had yelled it out. He got deep into his older gems and ended with Bob Marley's " No Woman, No Cry. We ran into Jimmy in Sag Harbour after the show. there were about 8 of us that had drinks at the bar and we left Jimmy alone as he ate dinner with a couple of friends. But Jimmy came over to the bar and hung out with us for 10 minutes or so. He was as nice as you could have hoped. It must have been before portable phones were so prevalent because we have no pictures of that night. Although the show is on YouTube. Great shows and Jimmy provided Margaritas, beer and snacks for the 250 -300 people there.
2. Steven Talkhouse - 2002 with Jerry Jeff Walker and GE Smith. Great show!! Lots pf reminiscing between songs. Jerry Jeff's parents and his wife sat on the side of the stage as the place was so crowded. Sat on the bar and got overserved but had a great time. met him walking down the street afterwards and got a picture with him.
3 La Cigale - In Paris. 2016 Great venue. Jimmy sings all or most of his French songs.
4. Hard Rock Café - 2016 - great venue, short show. it must have been 90 degrees in there.
5. Great Woods - Great venue.
FINSUPinIdaho
License to Chill

Post by FINSUPinIdaho »

That sounds really fun.

Was it cabins or RVs kind of camping? :D Or...real camping?
It was both. We had an RV and some tents,
You pull in and they ask if you want the rowdy side or quiet side...

Also, Jimmy flew over the campground in his plane then then landed on the river. It was amazing.
Really should return to the Gorge. If so, we all must go!
SeattleParrotHead
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Post by SeattleParrotHead »

The problem with The Gorge is that it's 150 miles from anywhere (well, 130 if Spokane counts as "anywhere"....)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gorge_Amphitheatre
"According to The Wall Street Journal, the Gorge is considered one of the most scenic concert locations in the world. It is a nine-time winner of Pollstar Magazine's award for 'Best Outdoor Music Venue' and was voted as one of the 'Best Outdoor Concert Venues in America' by ConcertBoom."
TheGorge.jpg
TheGorge.jpg (144.12 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
TheGorge1.jpg
TheGorge1.jpg (83.27 KiB) Viewed 3461 times
Last edited by SeattleParrotHead on June 5, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but sometimes they have really good ideas…..
SPH
lime rickie
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Bama Breeze
Number of Concerts: 11
Favorite Boat Drink: lime rickey

Post by lime rickie »

That venue is gorgeous.
You only have two options - havin' fun or freakin' out...

FINSUPinIdaho
License to Chill

Post by FINSUPinIdaho »

The problem with The Gorge is that it's 150 miles from anywhere (well, 130 if Spokane counts as "anywhere"....)

But I find that being in the middle of nowhere is damn awesome!!!!! :D
Bucarader
If we weren't all crazy ...
Favorite Buffett Song: Tin Cup Chalice
Number of Concerts: 18
Favorite Boat Drink: Mojito

Post by Bucarader »

The Gorge looks awesome!
Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it.