Intro to Prince of Tides...

Here you can discuss any Buffett related topic.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

bananaman
License to Chill
Favorite Buffett Song: Floridays....at the moment
Number of Concerts: 7
Favorite Boat Drink: Classic margarita on the rocks

Intro to Prince of Tides...

Post by bananaman »

Quick question guys...
Is the spoken intro to The Prince of Tides ("the sun, red and enormous...") an actual excerpt from the novel or is it an original from Jimmy himself? I've Googled the crap out of it and can't find the excerpt from the book. One source even says it's a quote from another Conroy novel; The Water Is Wide. Can anyone confirm? Thanks in advance.
THOU SHALL NOT EAT THY NEIGHBOR'S WIFE......'S POPCORN!
urlcenter
Behind Door #3
Number of Concerts: 6

Re: Intro to Prince of Tides...

Post by urlcenter »

bananaman wrote: August 19, 2018 8:08 pm Quick question guys...
Is the spoken intro to The Prince of Tides ("the sun, red and enormous...") an actual excerpt from the novel or is it an original from Jimmy himself? I've Googled the crap out of it and can't find the excerpt from the book. One source even says it's a quote from another Conroy novel; The Water Is Wide. Can anyone confirm? Thanks in advance.
It is a passage from page 678 of the novel Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy
palmettopirate
Half-baked cookies in the oven
Favorite Buffett Song: Coast of Carolina
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: sweet tea

Re: Intro to Prince of Tides...

Post by palmettopirate »

Although not the subject of your question I'll contribute my favorite passage from The Prince of Tides. I confess that it's only because of my lowcountry roots. Pat's nonfiction works were filled with truths from tormented life. This is one of the more pleasant reflections.

“To describe our growing up in the Lowcountry of South Carolina, I would have to take you to the marsh on a spring day, flush the great blue heron from its silent occupation. Scatter marsh hens as we sink to our knees in mud, open you an oyster with a pocketknife and feed it to you from the shell and say, ‘There. That taste. That’s the taste of my childhood.’ I would say, ‘Breathe deeply,’ and you would breathe and remember that smell for the rest of your life, the bold, fecund aroma of the tidal marsh, exquisite and sensual, the smell of the South in heat, a smell like new milk, semen and spilled wine, all perfumed with seawater. My soul grazes like a lamb on the beauty of indrawn tides. I was shaped by life on the river, part child, part sacristan of tides. My heart belongs in the marshlands. My heart is a lowcountry heart."
Every day you wake up you get another chance to do it right.