Back in the Studio Soon

Buffett News and Comments

Moderator: SMLCHNG

springparrot
Last Man Standing
Favorite Buffett Song: what time of day is it????
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Mudslide, Strawberry Margarita

Post by springparrot »

Jahfin wrote:
changingchannels wrote:an album like fruitcakes or barometer soup would be incredible!i'll i have to say is use the talent that already exists within in the band.there doesnt really need to be any other outside writers.jimmy seriously has some of the most talented musicians and writers out there and for the most part they have had very limited roles on the last 2 efforts.
To my knowledge the only other person in the band that's penned any lyrics is Mac. I have no problem with his writing whatsoever but I'd love to see Buffett rise to the occasion once again even if it means collaborating with Mac or perhaps even working with the likes of Jerry Jeff Walker again.
Wouldn't that be fun! :D :D :D
Tiki Bar
Thank God the Tiki Torch Still Shines
Favorite Buffett Song: One Particular Harbour / Tin Cup Chalice medley!
Number of Concerts: 30
Favorite Boat Drink: Friends don't let friends drink tequila! Beer me!

Post by Tiki Bar »

I'm easy, and entrust that what's good for Jimmy and co, will be good for me too! Bring it on!!! :D
You’re still grinning, we’re still winning, nothing left to say
I’m still gliding as I go flying down this endless wave
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0

Post by SchoolGirlHeart »

Jahfin wrote:To my knowledge the only other person in the band that's penned any lyrics is Mac.
Jah, I don't think that's entirely correct. Right off the top of my head, Roger Guth and Peter Mayer wrote BLUE GUITAR.

Without hunting, I think most if not all of the Reefers have writing credits on JB's albums, and I'd have to think at least some of those would include lyrics.
Carry on as you know they would want you to do. ~~JB, dedication to Tim Russert

Take your time
Find your passion
Life goes on until it ends
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

SchoolGirlHeart wrote:
Jahfin wrote:To my knowledge the only other person in the band that's penned any lyrics is Mac.
Jah, I don't think that's entirely correct. Right off the top of my head, Roger Guth and Peter Mayer wrote BLUE GUITAR.

Without hunting, I think most if not all of the Reefers have writing credits on JB's albums, and I'd have to think at least some of those would include lyrics.
Thanks for clarifying. Still, I'd rather see Buffett start writing more new original songs again. With a few exceptions, what was once his forte has slowly slipped away from him in recent years.
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Jahfin wrote:Thanks for clarifying. Still, I'd rather see Buffett start writing more new original songs again. With a few exceptions, what was once his forte has slowly slipped away from him in recent years.
I agree that I'd like to see Jimmy writing more, too, but I also really enjoy Mac's and Peter's music, so it's all good. :D

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
KeyboardKev
Nibblin' on sponge cake

Post by KeyboardKev »

Not to be a downer, but I think the Buffett originals have been the worst part of the last few albums (with the exception of Coast of Carolina). The cover tunes and tunes by other writers have been the best - Jimmy's stuff has actually been a little stale and formulaic, going back to Banana Wind.

I DEFINITELY agree that a harmonica is sorely missed.
z-man
Here We Are

Post by z-man »

KeyboardKev wrote: I DEFINITELY agree that a harmonica is sorely missed.
Does this mean Fingers won't be on the new album! :o

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Living my life...
One Tropical Day at a Time!

SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

KeyboardKev wrote:I DEFINITELY agree that a harmonica is sorely missed.
I'd like to hear the harmonica again, too. Love the horns, but miss the harp.

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

KeyboardKev wrote:Not to be a downer, but I think the Buffett originals have been the worst part of the last few albums (with the exception of Coast of Carolina). The cover tunes and tunes by other writers have been the best - Jimmy's stuff has actually been a little stale and formulaic, going back to Banana Wind.
I agree, I'd just love to see him return to form again. He's always been a great interpretor of other people's material but his abilities as a songwriter were once right up there with the writers he covers now (Hiatt, Cockburn, etc.). If he's not up to the task I'd rather someone like Mac take over the task of writing new "Buffett" tunes.
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Jahfin wrote:I agree, I'd just love to see him return to form again. He's always been a great interpretor of other people's material but his abilities as a songwriter were once right up there with the writers he covers now (Hiatt, Cockburn, etc.). If he's not up to the task I'd rather someone like Mac take over the task of writing new "Buffett" tunes.
I think Mac and Peter are both *awesome* songwriters, and I'd also love to hear more from Matt Betton (SCHOOL BOY HEART; SOMEDAY I WILL; MERRY CHRISTMAS, ALABAMA; APOCALYPSO; TAKE IT BACK; IF IT ALL FALLS DOWN)

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
mermaidindisguise
Hoot!
Favorite Buffett Song: Lucky Stars
Number of Concerts: 14
Favorite Boat Drink: Key Lime Pie By Z-Man!

Post by mermaidindisguise »

SO what does a girl have to do to get her pipes on a Jimmy Buffett album????????? I think I need to go to Key West soon...... and keep on dreamin....
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

KeyboardKev wrote:Not to be a downer, but I think the Buffett originals have been the worst part of the last few albums (with the exception of Coast of Carolina).
I thought Far Side Of The World was one of the best, if not the best, songs on that album and I'm pretty sure it was the only one written by Jimmy Buffett (with no co-writers). And I could be mistaken, but didn't Mac write Coast Of Carolina?
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
Jahfin
Inactive User

Post by Jahfin »

LIPH wrote:And I could be mistaken, but didn't Mac write Coast Of Carolina?
I think he co-wrote it with Buffett.
SchoolGirlHeart
Last Man Standing

Jahfin wrote:
LIPH wrote:And I could be mistaken, but didn't Mac write Coast Of Carolina?
I think he co-wrote it with Buffett.
Correct. It was a Jimmy/Mac co-write.

Take your time
Find your passion
Don’t stop living
Until then

~~Mac McAnally
LIPH
Last Man Standing
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

Post by LIPH »

Damn, it only took 5 days to ruin my perfect record this year. :lol:
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
Quiet and Shy
On a Salty Piece of Land
Number of Concerts: 15

Post by Quiet and Shy »

LIPH wrote:Damn, it only took 5 days to ruin my perfect record this year. :lol:
You were right about Buffett penning FSOTW though. :wink:

Great song.
"Reading departure signs in some big airport reminds me of the places I've been"

50 countries and territories, 46 states...so far
changingchannels
License to Chill

Post by changingchannels »

To my knowledge the only other person in the band that's penned any lyrics is Mac. I have no problem with his writing whatsoever but I'd love to see Buffett rise to the occasion once again even if it means collaborating with Mac or perhaps even working with the likes of Jerry Jeff Walker again.[/quote]

not true though! check the liner notes for all the albums from off to see the lizard thru far side of the world. roger and the mayer brothers were huge contributors to those albums(much less on far side). in fact i will go as far as saying that since the full time addition to mac in the band jimmy has gotten further and further away from those early thru mid 90's writing styles. when u look at a song like "frenchmen for the night"(buffett and roger guth) and compare it to "last man standing"(macanally and buffett) there is stark differnce both musically and lyrically.its a trend that continued on license to chill as well.
i will totally agree with you then when you say you'd like to see buffett rise to the occassion again.
"I enjoy this life as a jester
Seems to keep me moving around
Like the wind that blows, tides that flow
I have my ups and downs"
changingchannels
License to Chill

Post by changingchannels »

just as an after thought think about all the writers jimmy worked with on his early and mid-80's albums that he no longer collaborates with.i mean seriously there were some classics written with Will Jennings. not to mention, when was the last time he wrote with either Utley?
"I enjoy this life as a jester
Seems to keep me moving around
Like the wind that blows, tides that flow
I have my ups and downs"
SailorGal
Southeast of disorder

Post by SailorGal »

Jahfin wrote:
changingchannels wrote: To my knowledge the only other person in the band that's penned any lyrics is Mac. I have no problem with his writing whatsoever but I'd love to see Buffett rise to the occasion once again even if it means collaborating with Mac or perhaps even working with the likes of Jerry Jeff Walker again.
Um, maybe I misunderstand, but Peter Mayer, Jim Mayer and Roger Guth are all songwriters as well. Check the PM Band and Roger Guth discographies. Jimmy did cover Roger's "Blue Guitar" a few years back (after Peter had already covered it :) ).
Sails Up,
Pat
pirate@43
God's Own Drunk

Post by pirate@43 »

Jimmy said the new album is going to be called " Beer Batter"