2019 Baseball Thread

In this forum you can discuss anything from sports, news, or what ever is on your mind.

Moderator: SMLCHNG

LIPH
Last Man Standing
Number of Concerts: 0
Favorite Boat Drink: my next beer, as long as it's not Blandshark

2019 Baseball Thread

Post by LIPH »

The MLB Network is reporting that Mike Trout and the Angels have agreed to a 12 year contract extension worth $430 million. So much for the vastly overrated (in my opinion) Bryce Harper having the biggest contract in major league history.
what I really mean . . . I wish you were here
Dr.Corona
Party at the End of the World
Favorite Buffett Song: Apocalypso..no..Semi-True Story..no.Creola..no..REGGAE ACCIDENT!!
Number of Concerts: 6
Favorite Boat Drink: As if you HAD to ask!!

Re: 2019 Baseball Thread

Post by Dr.Corona »

Glad to see Trout is staying with the Angels. I know he's getting paid big time but nice to see a player stay with 1 organization.

Former AL Rookie of the Year pitcher Michael Fulmer of the Detroit Tigers recommended to have Tommy John surgery ending his season. Tigers going from bad to worse........ :x
Corona by day, Corona by night, any old time is just alright!Image
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

Glad he is staying with 1 team , but , will they be able to sign supporting players to make them a contender. I'm not sure on what type of TV deal they have in LA to generate income. LA is a Dodgers town. Like NY is a Yankees town , and Chicago with the Cubs.
SeattleParrotHead
Chewin' on a Honeysuckle Vine
Favorite Buffett Song: Island, 12v Man
Favorite Boat Drink: Mai Tais @ Dukes

Post by SeattleParrotHead »

Mike Trout is the best player in baseball. The bad news is that he's in the same division as the Mariners, the good news is that I get to watch him that much more often. He's also a class act. When the Mariners retired Edgar Martinez's number 11 two seasons ago, it was before a game against the Angels. During the ceremony, when they were showing highlights of Edgar's career on the big screen in center field, all the Mariner players came out of the dugout and stood along the first base line to watch. Mike came out of the visitor's dugout and stood all by himself on the third base line and watched (and cheered) along with all the rest of us. Eventually other Angel players came out too, but Mike set the example.

The Dodgers outdrew them last year but the Angels were still 6th in MLB attendance; 1) Dodgers, 2) Yankees, 3) Cards, 4) Cubs, 5) Giants, 6) Angels.

This is supposed to be a rebuilding year for the Mariners, "taking a step back" is what they're saying. They traded Cano, Paxton, Diaz and others and let Nelson Cruz go... they cut the hell out of their payroll and still raised ticket prices. They called and asked me if I was going to renew my tickets and I told them that I thought I'd take a step back too, and when they were ready to spend money, I might be too.
ImageImage

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but sometimes they have really good ideas…..
SPH
LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

Two years ago the Myrtle Beach Pelicans had an outfielder named Eloy Jimenez. The Cubs made a trade with the White Sox and he was one of the players involved so he's in the White Sox organization now. He's been a great minor league player but hasn't spent one day in the major leagues yet. The White Sox just gave him a 6 year $43 million contract. :o
SeattleParrotHead

And yet some school teachers qualify for food stamps. :roll:
ImageImage

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but sometimes they have really good ideas…..
SPH
LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

Ichiro announced his retirement after Seattle's season opening 2 game series in Japan.
SMLCHNG
Favorite Buffett Song: Lovely Cruise/Bubbles Up
Number of Concerts: 20
Favorite Boat Drink: Extra dirty gin martini

Post by SMLCHNG »

SeattleParrotHead wrote: March 20, 2019 8:59 pm And yet some school teachers qualify for food stamps. :roll:
Uh huh.. I love baseball. There is not ONE player that is worth being paid that many millions of dollars. Period. IMHO.
SeattleParrotHead

SeattleParrotHead wrote:And yet some school teachers qualify for food stamps.
MsMod wrote: There is not ONE player that is worth being paid that many millions of dollars. Period. IMHO.
Yeah... who do they think they are? NFL quarterbacks? :roll:
ImageImage

SPH
SMLCHNG

Post by SMLCHNG »

SeattleParrotHead wrote: March 21, 2019 10:53 pm
SeattleParrotHead wrote:And yet some school teachers qualify for food stamps.
MsMod wrote: There is not ONE player that is worth being paid that many millions of dollars. Period. IMHO.
Yeah... who do they think they are? NFL quarterbacks? :roll:
:lol: Uh huh. They are all WAY overpaid, too!! :roll:
LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

Philadelphia Phillies fans are going to be disappointed this year. The Sports Illustrated baseball preview issue came in today's mail and Bryce Harper and 3 of his teammates are on the cover. The Sports Illustrated cover jinx will be at work. Although the Washington Nationals never won a playoff series in Harper's 6 years on the team so I don't think the jinx is necessary.
LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

Hall of Famer Vladimir Guerrero's son made his major league debut earlier this season. Hall of Famer Craig Biggio's son made his major league debut a couple of days ago. And if you want to feel really old, Hall of Famer (and native Long Islander) Carl Yazstremski's grandson made his major league debut yesterday.
LIPH
Last Man Standing

Post by LIPH »

Former major leaguer Bill Buckner died yesterday. Most people probably remember him for the error he made in game 6 of the 1986 World Series against the Mets but he was a really good player. He had 2,715 hits, drove in 1,208 runs and scored 1,077 runs in his career. And as an example of how the game has changed, he played 2,517 games and only struck out 453 times. Joey Gallo of the Texas Rangers struck 207 times last year.

Wino you know
God's Own Drunk
Favorite Buffett Song: Far Side of the World & Somewhere Over China
Number of Concerts: 105
Favorite Boat Drink: Beaujalais Villages French Burgundy

Post by Wino you know »

LIPH wrote: May 28, 2019 12:21 pm Former major leaguer Bill Buckner died yesterday. Most people probably remember him for the error he made in game 6 of the 1986 World Series against the Mets but he was a really good player. He had 2,715 hits, drove in 1,208 runs and scored 1,077 runs in his career. And as an example of how the game has changed, he played 2,517 games and only struck out 453 times. Joey Gallo of the Texas Rangers struck 207 times last year.

2,715 hits in the big leagues, 498 doubles (65th all time), .290 batting average over 22 years, he hit .324 for the Cubs once. He knocked in 100 runs three times. Never struck out three times in a game. Won a batting title once, in 1980. He hit 18 home runs in that 1986 season on those ruined legs. He knocked in 102 runs, one of the biggest totals of his career, even though nobody remembered that when Mookie’s ball went through his legs and Ray Knight scored the winning run in G.D. game 6.
HE WAS A GREAT PLAYER AND BELONGS IN THE HALL OF FAME, BUT BECAUSE OF ONE G.D. GAME, IT’LL NEVER FREAKING HAPPEN!!! :evil:
SMLCHNG

Post by SMLCHNG »

Wino you know wrote: May 28, 2019 9:56 pm HE WAS A GREAT PLAYER AND BELONGS IN THE HALL OF FAME, BUT BECAUSE OF ONE G.D. GAME, IT’LL NEVER FREAKING HAPPEN!!! :evil:
I agree...
TommyBahama
Diamond as Big as The Ritz
Favorite Buffett Song: No particular Favorite
Number of Concerts: 86
Favorite Boat Drink: yes please
Location: Connecticut--May your time be filled with relaxing sunsets,cool drinks and sand between your toes.

Post by TommyBahama »

LIPH wrote: May 28, 2019 12:21 pm Former major leaguer Bill Buckner died yesterday. Most people probably remember him for the error he made in game 6 of the 1986 World Series against the Mets but he was a really good player. He had 2,715 hits, drove in 1,208 runs and scored 1,077 runs in his career. And as an example of how the game has changed, he played 2,517 games and only struck out 453 times. Joey Gallo of the Texas Rangers struck 207 times last year.

I still believe that Mookie Wilson beats that out. It wasn't hit hard. Do they win , who knows. But , if Bob Stanly didn't throw a wild pitch. The runner wouldn't have been on 2nd. He should be in the HofF.